Tis a Trilogy Mateys!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Haven't seen it yet (or #2 either) but I saw an article for those wondering if another one will come out.
LA Times article '4th 'Pirates' film already on horizon' wrote:Sure, producer Jerry Bruckheimer is coy, saying he and his mates need a break. But he already has rights to a book that could end up as another installment.

Star Johnny Depp? He hasn't promised another voyage, but he clearly loves the flamboyant, irreverent Jack Sparrow character, telling one interviewer: "As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, why not?"

In today's Hollywood, blockbuster franchises function almost as independent corporations that, once up and running, can't easily be mothballed. Which is why another "Pirates" is pretty much a given.

"When these franchises become part of the world's culture, they take on a life of their own," said Dick Cook, Disney's studio chairman, who says he's on board for another "Pirates" if the script is right and the filmmakers are willing.

Though Bruckheimer and Disney executives say the "Pirates" trilogy has concluded, they hint that the series could continue through a spinoff or prequel. In an interview with an Australian film website, screenwriter Terry Rossio said he and partner Ted Elliott would take a crack at another "Pirates" script and see if they could make it work.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

I found this while searching about a 4th Pirates movie on Yahoo.
Pirates Voyage Continues?
A fourth adventure may be in the works. Who's in? Who's out?
by IGN Staff

April 2, 2007 - We've heard rumors before about the post-trilogy future of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, and now a new report has surfaced claiming that the swashbuckling action films will, indeed, continue after At World's End is released this May.

The third film in the series reportedly ties up loose ends and seemingly brings closure to characters and storylines central to the first three Pirates movies, but the Los Angeles Times cites unidentified sources at Disney who claim that the studio is taking seriously overtures by Johnny Depp expressing that he's keen to stay on with the franchise.

Furthermore, there's fresh speculation that Orlando Bloom may be cut from any future films. We've been here before when rumors of Will Turner's death in Pirates 3 began swirling last October. And while his big-screen demise doesn't seem likely, it could be that his character arc will simply be resolved and that he'll be written out of Pirates 4. If Disney wants to make more movies in the series they may want to cut costs by slashing, arguably, the most expendable member of the lead cast.
If anyone wants to see the site, go to http://movies.ign.com/objects/859/859550.html

Edited: Remember to place material from outside sources in quotes. -Darcie
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

I was pretty disappointed in it. I think the repeating joke about the peanut really began to irritate me. LOL!

All in all, I think the first and second ones were WAY better.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

totustuus wrote:
Catspaw wrote: For your first question, that's what I was thinking too right after I saw the movie, until I read about a scene that didn't make the final cut of the movie that explained that if Tia Dalma had been faithful for ten years, the curse would have been broken. Since the very end shows that Elizabeth has been faithful for ten years (not twenty, unless I missed something) then the curse would be broken. I don't know precisely what that entails, but perhaps Will would no longer be immortal and forced to serve on the Flying Dutchman, and therefore they would have lost ten years, which is sad, but could then spend the rest of their lives happily together. That's the way that I like to think of it, anyway, because otherwise it's too depressing!
I found this post by one of the writers that verifies this: http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/movies ... read=98135
Thanks for the link! I had read it elsewhere, but the person had accredited the information to Ted and Terry. I hope that the DVD has deleted scenes, since DMC didn't! :x I'm sure that there will be a writers commentary, like the other two movies, which will also be good to help explain these details more. I liked Ted and Terry's commentaries on the other two Pirates movies!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Yeah, that last bit of info really makes the movie so much better for me.

Oh, and was I the only person who didn't realize that there were short scenes after the credits in CoBP and DMC as well? I just watched the end of the first one yesterday for the first time, and if I get DMC tomorrow (I think my bro'll give it to me), then I'll check out that last scene as well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I knew about them and have watched them, but neither are as significant as this third one. (Well...unless you demand an explanation for the monkey's reappearance in DMC.) ;) When I saw DMC in theatres I had read online somewhere that there was an additional piece and after waiting for so long, due to the extensive credits, I was a tad disappointed that there wasn't more to it. In this case, that last little clip makes the end much more satisfying, at least for me. The first two clios at the end of the credits are fun too, though!
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Yeah. It wasn't much, but it was neat to see. I probably should watch CotBP tonight in possible anticipation of getting the second one tomorrow. And then hopefully sometime in the next week or so I'll go w/ my bro for his first and my second viewing of the third one.

And this time I won't get such a large soda...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Ae_91
Just visiting

Post by Ae_91 »

I went with some friends who had already seen the movie, but they had not seen the clip after the credits. so we stayed and watched after the credits. the clip satisfied me and one friend. it dissatisfied my other friend. before she had seen the clip she thought the ending implied that a fourth one was to be made. after the clip she thought that maybe they were just teasing us.
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

From what I read, they might to a spinoff, but the trilogy is definitely done, and the story seems like it's at a fine end where it is.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

If they do make a fourth it should focus just on Captian Jack and maybe Barbossa. (Because them together is so awsome)
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I would say I was disappointed, but since it met my (low) expectations, that wouldn't really be accurate. The second movie was what really disappointed me, since I had liked the first one a lot and was expecting Dead Man's Chest to be much, much better than it was.

On to my opinion of At World's End: It felt like a big special effects fest with muddled, confusing plots and subplots that got very tedious very fast. I also got tired of all the characters repeatedly betraying each other. Though I'm glad (on reading this thread) that the ending isn't as bleak as it originally appeared, I'm still going to pretend that the second and third movies never happened.

(Of course, sitting in the first row of the theater didn't help ;))
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

The writers may want to do another, but I seriously doubt Disney will let them. I don't think they've ever made more than 3 movies of the same title. I could see them doing a TV series though (not that anyone has talked about it yet, but I'm just saying...).
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

I liked it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm seeing it again on Friday, so maybe I will enjoy it better. I made it out to be sooo great, but it wasn't as good as expected.
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Elrohir wrote:The writers may want to do another, but I seriously doubt Disney will let them. I don't think they've ever made more than 3 movies of the same title. I could see them doing a TV series though (not that anyone has talked about it yet, but I'm just saying...).
Disney will do anything that will make a profit. They changed the original ride and Tom Sawyer's Island to fit in with the POTC movies, so they seem to be fairly dedicated to the story. And for an example of something that they've done more than 3 of, I offer you the Air Bud series (now at 6). ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Darcie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:The writers may want to do another, but I seriously doubt Disney will let them. I don't think they've ever made more than 3 movies of the same title. I could see them doing a TV series though (not that anyone has talked about it yet, but I'm just saying...).
And for an example of something that they've done more than 3 of, I offer you the Air Bud series (now at 6). ;)
oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah... -_-
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Elrohir wrote:
Darcie wrote:
And for an example of something that they've done more than 3 of, I offer you the Air Bud series (now at 6). ;)
oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah... -_-
Gah...I remember Air Bud.... :sick:
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

*Sigh* I watched it again tonight. Wow, watching it a second time was good; I understand so much more. And I like it even better.

My former youth pastor preached a message on Sunday about how fairy tales and myths are really just reflections of the bigger, better, and truer stories of the supernatural. I loved the mythology and supernatural elements of the movie, and it just excited me more this time, I guess.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Arwen wrote:*Sigh* I watched it again tonight. Wow, watching it a second time was good; I understand so much more. And I like it even better.

My former youth pastor preached a message on Sunday about how fairy tales and myths are really just reflections of the bigger, better, and truer stories of the supernatural. I loved the mythology and supernatural elements of the movie, and it just excited me more this time, I guess.
I've seen it twice as well. :)

Now, for myself- I understood it completely the first time I watched it...I was able to follow everything and such. Although, watching it the second time, allowed me to remember some of the very funny lines!

Let me lend a machete to your intellectual thicket...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It took me two viewings to really understand everything that was going on in this movie, there are so many different motivations to keep track of, so I definitely get if people are put off by it for being too complex or anything like that, but I really like it. I think most people use that as one of their primary points of why it's not good, but for me it's a point to the opposite. I like how complex it is because once you get it sorted out it provides a very detailed narrative to explore.

This movies examines more of the political machinations at work in this world which I like and it blends it with the supernatural stuff in a way that just seems so cool to me. I like how no one is phased by all the crazy stuff, that's just how their world is. And they not only live with it, they use it. Beckett's like yeah so there's this undead guy with a monster crew and a ship that goes underwater, you know what since I have tenuous authority over him right now I'll use him to secure my control over this territory and boost my trade business.

Speaking of those two, I really like the interplay of Beckett and Davy Jones in scenes like "The Dutchman sails as its captain commands." "And its captain is to sail as commanded."

I thought it was neat also to see how there are all those different pirate factions, and how and when they do and don't work together. Really expanding and detailing the world these movies take place in.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I definitely agree that it takes a couple of viewings to catch the nuances and try to keep track of the double-crosses and the fakeouts and all the other twists. I enjoyed it more on the second viewing because I didn't have to spend as much time trying to figure out who was on who's side or what was going on. In my opinion, it's inferior to the first two movies and they tried a little too hard and lost part of what makes the movies fun and special, but it's still an okay third installment. For the most part, the characters are still there, just a little lost at times.