What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Hannah's Choice last night, wonderful book!! I loved it!! I've added another author to my very long list. I am now reading Thief of Corinth by Tessa Afshar, very good so far as all of her books are.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I need to read something my Tessa Afshar. I've heard lots of good things.

I'm reading "Lady of Fire" by Tamara Leigh. It's interesting so far!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Thief of Corinth just now. Excellent book. Up next for me is Everything She Didn't Say by Jane Kirkpatrick. I enjoy Ms. Kirkpatrick's books as they are about actual real people.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Today I finished the last audiobook in the Wheel of Time series. Over 450 hours of listening time since I started in the spring of 2017. \:D/
Last edited by Tea Ess on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Everything She Didn't Say, very good and very interesting. Up next for me is Written on the Wind by Judith Pella. It is the first book in her Daughters of Fortune series. This four book series was first published in 2002 but can be found online.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"The Tale of Despereaux" by Kate DiCamillo. I read it years ago and I'm enjoying starting it again! It's a kids book but with a lot more layers than a typical kids book.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Wrtten on the Wind last night, excellent book. I have started Buried Secrets by Barbara Cameron, it is the second book in her Harvest of Hope series.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Just finished A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape From North Korea. NOT uplifting. The guy escapes starvation. But, (SPOILERS) by the end, he still hasn't found a way to get his family out. And his daughter starves to death... after he's escaped, and is looking for a way to save his family. The whole book shows unbreakable will and strength, but it's heartbreaking. It's hard to believe it's a true story, North Korea is a modern day Hell.

Right now on a rather different note, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. First time through! I'm freaking loving it.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Hidden Side by Heidi Chiavaroli. Contemporary/Historical. Very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just started "Christmas at Carnton" by Tamera Alexander. It's very good so far, and what I didn't realize when I bought it is that it's the novella that will set up her next three books, so I have more to look forward to! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Hidden Side, excellent book. It kept me turning the pages. Now I am reading The Outsider by Ann H. Gabhart. It's a library book I checked out and started on Monday. This book is the first in what I think is a series. I found out the other day that Ms. Gabhart has another book coming out in 2019 that I think is a part of this series. I bought and read this book when it first came out but there is no way I would find my copy so I borrowed from the library. Very good so far. 
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finished "Christmas at Carnton" and thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm really looking forward to the next installment bu Tamera Alexander. Her books never disappoint.

I just started "Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different" by Karen Blumenthal. I'm not a big biography reader but need to give this at least a quick read to preview it for others. I think it will be an interesting read!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Outsider earlier. Excellent book. Now I can continue with the remaining books in that series and hopefully be caught up when the new one comes out next year. Up next for me is To Everything a Season by Lauraine Snelling. It is the first book in her Song of Blessing series.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I'm taking a class where I have to read a lot of children's books, and I just finished reading I Am Otter and Otter Goes to School by Sam Garton. If anyone is looking for good books to share with their kids/nieces/nephews/anyone who likes to read, I highly recommend them! So cute. :inlove:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've never heard of those books, Petrichor, but I love kids books and buy lots of kids books for my niece and my friends' kids, so I added "I am Otter" to my Amazon wish list for the next time I place an order! :D

I'm reading "A Rebel Heart" by Beth White and it's an excellent read so far! Her books are always so good! Now the challenge will be waiting until next June to read the second book in the series. :mad:
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath (for school.) :wacky: Which is colorful, and a little too open about a few things for my liking.

I'm also reasiing Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished To Everything A Season, excellent book even though a favorite character died which is always sad for me. Up next for me is Room on the Porch Swing By Amy Clipston. It is the second book in her Amish Homestead series. 
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

GJ wrote:I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath (for school.) :wacky: Which is colorful, and a little too open about a few things for my liking.

I'm also reasiing Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson.
Twins! :highfive: I read The Grapes of Wrath in high school and did not care for the language etc, and I just finished listening to the Danger in the Shadows audiobook! Uncanny! :mad: (Of course I've read the book too - it's the prequel to the O'Malley series, and it's also one of my favourites!)

I am about to start the enovella "A Search for Refuge" by Kristi Ann Hunter. I was about to start a new paperback book by Hunter when I realized that there was a prequel enovella, and since I always read books in order, I knew I had to start with that. It's free on Kindle, so it's no trouble to get it, but the trend of prequel online novellas kind of annoys me. I blame publishers, not authors, for that trend.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I've been reading a lot of Sci-Fi lately. Peter Clines has been my latest obsession. I read 14, The Fold, and I'm currently on Paradox Bound. Very fantastical sci-fi, largely based in theoretical-physics, but he does get rather intense/violent at times.
Over the Summer, I read through Dennis E. Taylor's Bobiverse Trilogy, which is definitely worth a read. Very funny and engaging, not too much profanity or sexual innuendo, just good storytelling and superb world-building.
As far as World Building goes, though, I think A.G. Riddle has everyone beat. In each of his series', he builds worlds that are juist close enough to reality to be plausible, but far enough from it to be fantastical. His characters, on the other hand, are rather two-dimensional, but he more than makes up for the bland characters with his engaging plots and imaginative worlds.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Broken Earth: The Stone Sky, the last book in my new favorite fantasy trilogy. Jemison spent months researching seismology before she wrote the series, and it really pays off in giving it the air of being scientifically plausible. Also:

A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo

Making Gay History

Queer Theology by Linn Marie Tonstad

And a business textbook :displeased:
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."