Bank: 57,000.00

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Mulan (2020)
Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 8,515.55
Bank: 1,958.31
I saw this trailer yesterday, and I was thinking about why it didn't really appeal to me, and the answer to the question of, "Why do I really not care for most of the Disney live person remakes that I've seen?" is....they're not much fun. They take fun animated stories and characters and turn them more serious stories, and that's not really why I watch Disney movies. This might end up being a great movie - I don't know. What I do know is that the trailer has very little that reminded me of the animated version that I love. That might be a draw for some people. Not for me. I want Donny Osmond singing an awesome song to sing along with and goofy quotable lines. This doesn't look like it will fit that description. I still might see it, and I might end up thinking it's a great movie. I don't want to assume I'll hate it. I do think that it doesn't look like what I expected.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cash: 2,065.66
I'm actually on the other side. This is the first of these remakes that I'm completely on board for. Exactly because for the first time (if you don't count Maleficent, which I don't that was before this let's just redo everything in real life craze really started) they're not just needlessly redoing the original movie. I would not even classify this one as one of the live action remakes because it's really not. They aren't doing the animated movie over just with real people, this is it's own entity. It's not the Disney version of Mulan, is a movie of the traditional legend. At least more than the animated one was being a musical with a quirky sidekick. Not that I had a problem with that, I like the animated Mulan movie quite a bit, but I'm really excited to see that though this is a recognized property the movie will actually be something fresh. Compared to the upcoming Lion King remake for example.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 8,515.55
Bank: 1,958.31
I see what you mean. To me, if the same company makes two movies with the exact same name, they shouldn't be super different. If you do a remake (which may or may not be a good idea) then the expectation is clear. If this is not a remake, then why not modify the name in some way to make that clear? Call it Mulan: A Hero's Origin or something like that. ;) (Obviously something much better than that!) Just my two cents.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cash: 2,065.66
I don't disagree with that thought. Just going 'Here's our new movie: "Mulan"' is going to have the initial expectations of people be that it's a general remake pretty similar to the original, especially when every other one of these so far has indeed been that.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 5 posts ]