ToO Fantasy Football - Year Nine: Overtime

Get off the sideline & join us for year number nine.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

And turns out it was all an intentional play to end up with the Patriots.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 1:

Starting off with a loss! This was one of the weirdest performances ever, the positions that showed up all blew away their projections, the ones that didn't all got no points. The difference ended up being a player that went out with injury. Welcome back fantasy football.

* stats to be added in later

-- 17 Sep 2019 9:38 am --

Week 2:

This was a pretty disappointing result. With week one showing me half the roster was solid and half needed work, which I already thought to be the case, I addressed the shortcomings masterfully (not to brag, it's just the truth; look at the numbers of the new players I brought in (once I get them edited in here)) but the perfect adjustments gained nothing as I lose again due this time to everyone who showed up last week failing to put up numbers here. And those are the guys who are supposed to be consistent! Quite a letdown. I have the pieces for a solid lineup, they just all have to produce at the same time. Hopefully that will start happening sooner than later.

-- 24 Sep 2019 9:44 am --

Week 3:

Can't be upset about this one. After a dismal Thursday I was projected to score just in the 80s and lose by a landslide; ended up exploding for over 100 and losing by just two points! Still missing the first W of the season, but a moral victory for sure. And this score shows that I was right to not be overly concerned about the roster, it has the pieces there, it's just going to come down to situational things for whether it gets the win in a given week.

-- 1 Oct 2019 11:18 am --

Week 4:

Once more half the roster does great but the other half takes the week off. I'm still not concerned for the long term, but I'm getting pretty frustrated in the short term. If you have players who are faltering repeatedly you know how to address it: move on; but that's not what I'm dealing with. These guys all have scoring potential, they just have off weeks. They're spread around the whole roster and don't follow a pattern, you just have to see what happens week to week.

E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

This has been a crazy fantasy week! Bookworm has almost 200(!) points!
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is why I wasn't concerned about the slow start! (Frustrated definitely, but not thinking my team was a lost cause.) I was confident I had all the pieces for a solid roster, I just needed to let things settle into place in the real life game roles.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Three players with 41 points?!?

Have we ever had someone score over 200 points? That's incredible, bookworm.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I only scanned the historical scoreboards briefly, but it does appear to be an all time record.

Thanks for getting rid of the high score trophy ESPN :(
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Two weeks to go and the wildcard slots are entirely up in the air. It's usually close but I believe we're going into week 14 with 7 teams in playoff contention.

For the top 2 of Winoka and BC they have locked in their playoff slots.

Cheesehead can secure a spot by winning one of their next two

SEA holds the tiebreaker against both TS and AE

TS vs AE this week determines their tiebreaker as AE won the first matchup but TS would have more total points

Bookworm is a longshot but still plausible. If they win out and none of SEA, TS, AE have more than 7 wins it would come down to various messy tiebreakers depending on how many teams are in the log jam.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was in position to make a run but had two dismal losses late that I thought for sure ended my chances. Surprised to hear it's still theoretically possible, but yeah definitely a longshot.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Congrats to AE for securing a playoff berth. Going into Monday night's game a lot of teams are still technically in contention. But if I'm reading the rules correctly pending a 29 point game from Michael Thomas or both TS and SF losing bookworm will be the 4th seed by merit of most points for across the season.

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/artic ... akers-Work
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I have no idea how playoff selection works but I won't turn the chance to compete. \:D/

Does Almanzo have the tiebreaker over bookworm?

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Normally Almanzo would because he won the season series 2-1. However because there were three teams tied at 7-8 including the Seattle Falcons everyone involved would have had to play the same number of games against each other for it to be decided by head to head (Which they didn't as bookworm and Almanzo only played the Falcons twice) so it goes to most points
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wait - I made it in?? O.O
No. Way.
:thud:

-- 24 Dec 2019 10:44 am --

What a nail biter!
Whatever happens in the final this playoff push has been one for the storybooks!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Congrats to the 2019 champion and third two time champ. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What. A. Day.
All props to Laura, this matchup was amazing!

Going into the week it was projected to be really tight with a slight edge to Laura, after the early games Laura was protected to win comfortably, but going into the last game with one position left to play each we were projected to tie. An extremely even matchup. Then as the final game progressed it ran through the full range all over again. Laura got points early, was protected to win by about ten again, then I started coming back and her edge was cut to around four, then I went up and was protected to win by about four, before finally putting it away very late in the game. Truly one of the all time greatest matchups we've ever had!

This was exactly what you want from the championship; both lineups played to nearly full potential, it just came down to who happened to get a slight edge in how everything ended up playing out.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I agree, bookworm - what a matchup! I checked about halftime of the Laura vs. bookworm matchup and ESPN gave Laura a 96% chance to win. Quite the comeback.

And with that . . .

bookworm is the ToO's 2019 Fantasy Football champion! \:D/
  1. Final Standings (change from last year in parenthesis)
  2. (+5) Blitzing Bookworms (bookworm)
  3. (+3) Winoka Warriors (Laura Ingalls)
  4. (+1) Bench Coolers (E II)
  5. (+3) American Eagles (American Eagle)
  6. (-3) Seattle Falcons (godisawesomeness99)
  7. (-3) Texas Staleys (Knight Fisher)
  8. (+1) Ultimate Life Forms (Monty_Whittaker)
  9. (-7) Mr Cheesehead (Almanzo)
Interestingly, not only do we not have a back-to-back champion this year, but each member of this year's top 3 arose from outside last year's top 3. Fresh blood.

Thanks for playing, everyone!I hope to see you all again next season!! \:D/

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Congrats, bookworm!! Disappointing for me to lose a tight matchup, but it made for an exciting SNF game.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 30 Dec 2019 09:36 am --

Stay tuned for details of a postseason game, I'll post as soon as I get one set up - probably later today!

-- 30 Dec 2019 03:47 pm --

Went with the one we usually do, it's still the best option I could find.

NFL Playoff Challenge password: thetoo

Join up by Saturday!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

And I pulled off the playoff challenge win! Woot woot!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Wait, I didn't get last, even though I never modified my team...
Huh
Resident JRPG nut