577: "The Business of Busyness"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Your rating for this show.

5 Stars-Awesomeness!
15%
4 Stars-Really Good!
38%
3 Stars-Average Episode.
44%
2 Stars-Not so good.
3%
1 Star-Awful!
No votes

Total votes: 34

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

577: "The Business of Busyness"

Post by J-man »

There doesn't seem to be a review topic for tomorrows episode! Can a Mod please lock this until tomorrow?
...I hate marquees.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I guess I'll double post so I can post my review. O:)

I thought this was an ok episode. Eugene definately added to the show though. If it would have been about anyone else it wouldn't have been near as good. The Washington's problem might be realistic, but it's not something I can relate to since I'm not a very busy person. I'm still trying to figure out what they learned in their devotions by raking someone's yard though. Maybe how to help people? :lol: Anyway, I give it 3 stars.
...I hate marquees.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I thought it was good. So far this season has been very good quality. 4 stars. Classic AIO.

Oh, and Connie and Eugene should not be allowed on the air together. :noway:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Lol, it was the closest to an arguement between them since Eugene came back.
...I hate marquees.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

im a fan and it is tastic
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Episode Review: Episode 577:The Business of Busyness
Writer: John Fornof (#36) and Kathy Buchanan (#34)
Sound Designer: Glenn Montjoy
Average Rating of TOO Members:74.6% (with 30 Votes)

Title: The Business with Marvin’s Dinosaur Club

Characters:
Whit (#382)
Eugene (#170)
Connie (#272)
Marvin (#19)
Tamika (#14)
Elaine Washington (#9)
Ed Washington (#8)[/i]

Critics are calling this episode the worst of the season.

Haha. It isn’t a bad thing, trust me. However, to start off my review, I’d like to quote myself from 4 reviews ago.
Broadcast wrote: An episode that doesn't bring the series down makes my day
That’s where I’ll begin. This episode did bring the series down only slightly. First of all, I think we all noticed that Marvin’s voice is…well…changing. And, with that change, a few of us are expecting a change in maturity as well. To be perfectly honest, I felt the fact that he was part of a Dinosaur club nearly ridiculous. Sure, Jimmy Barclay was into secret agents longer after his voice change, but you have to admit that it’s not the same thing whatsoever. I think the writers didn’t take into consideration that the actor grew up since the last episode—nearly a season and a half ago.

Which is a shame, to say the least, because I believe most of us were really hoping to hear more of Marvin as a kid—as we did with Jimmy—but now, we won’t. Once Tamika grows up, that families outta here (unless they have another kid soon). Truly, it’s a shame that most of them didn’t make and appearance last season. We really need to hear the most of them as much as possible, even though they aren’t still sounding like a strong developed family yet. I thought they did previously, but my mind has changed into believing that now. They clearly aren’t well developed yet. Though, almost…

I mean, if you’d take a glance at the number of episodes that they’ve each been in, then you’d agree with me that we hardly have had time to get to know them. And, strangely, I found Ed to be the less developed character out of them all—appropriate, since he turns out to have been the one to show up in the least number of episodes.

I think they need to turn him into a George Barclay. George wasn’t always in every episode his family was in, which was what made him develop by himself. With Ed having his own adult storyline, with his own adult conversation, then we might get a better feeling of who he is. The three small adult talks with Whit so far hasn’t helped him much. He needs to get more involved with other characters, as well.

However, again, I still enjoy the family. I just wished they got used a bit better.

Which brings me nicely into my next point. Why does that family always revolve some sort of stupidity? Going through the list of their episodes, most of them have attempted to be funny or comical. I’d like to hear them just try to deal with a problem seriously and normally for a change. By stupidity, I meatn stuff like, “Chasing Cheese-doodles” or the “powder Puff Pamela deal”, or worst, the kitchen appliances jokes!

I don’t believe I ever expressed my discontent for the kitchen appliance jokes throughout Odyssey, and so, I am expressing them now. Lately, Odyssey has ended a scene, or had attempted to finish a conversation, with kitchen appliance jokes. We have no idea what they’re talking about, and so it’s supposed to be funny by leaving it up to the audience to figure out. It happens a lot with the Wooton-epsiodes, and every so often, leaks into these slice-of-life episodes. I don’t understand what’s so funny about Eugene saying he’s going to bring a meat slicer or a spatula . I’m not being biased because I’m older and not finding the humor as funny, but I know for a fact that kids aren’t laughing at those jokes, well, at least none of the kids that I know. And, I certainly never laughed at them when I listened to Odyssey when I was younger—or perhaps that’s because they didn’t feature that type of humor. To back up my argument, I’ll go through several other episodes which have included the kitchen appliance jokes.

Speaking of dialogue, there was one instance of completely terrible dialogue from Connie that made me wince. It was the part where she misunderstood the phrase ‘hands-up’ and assumed they were going to rob banks. Yes, as I write this, I find this completely absurd.

And where was Katrina this whole time? I know I was the one who talked about the fact that Eugene being married doesn’t necessarily mean that Katrina always needs to be around, but I thought differently in this episode. The fact is, both Eugene and Katrina wanted to start off this organization, and it’s only natural to see Katrina lending a hand, especially when she saw Eugene wasn’t able to do it all by himself. Basically, that was the biggest flaw of this episode, because, if you think about it, it’s a bit silly that they completely left her out of the picture.

Finally, I didn’t see how helping Eugene out was the answer to the Washington’s devotions. Mind you, if the problem in the beginning was the way the Washington’s could find more time to spend together, then the whole plot would be wonderful, but I don’t see how going out and spending more time as a family was the same as the meaning of devotions; sitting down and honoring, praising, and learning about God as a family. It’s contrary even to what Chris taught to us at the end of the episode, when she brought up the story of Martha and Mary. From that story we know that, “Doing things for the Lord, isn’t the same as being with the Lord.” Which, in the end, the Washington’s were ironically doing the least important between the two. It’s a little strange, if you’d ask me.

Luckily, these flaws didn’t weigh down the episode too badly. At first I didn’t like the episode at all, but after giving it the test of time, I listened the episode once on Tuesday, the next on Thursday, and once more on Saturday morning. After all three listenings, I wanted to pull my ratings up to a passing level. The fact that this episode was pleasant enough with good well-developed characters was good. I’m not going to go through all the good things about this episode right now, but theirs a lot of things I did enjoy, like the fact that Whit, Connie, Eugene, and the Washington Family were playing their same old natural selves as they normally do—but, all together.

Oh yes, and Mrs. Rathbone’s pedicure. :)

EDIT:
Jonathan wrote:
edit-
Broadcast wrote:Why does that family always revolve some sort of stupidity?
This is what I was trying to get across when expressing my being not so thrilled with the Washington's part of the story. It's getting old.
Interesting enough, your review is precisely said what I was trying to get across. You did a good job explaining that, where I partly failed. The family just isn't real.

When I began accepting the family, I simply assumed that we'd have them go through normal issues with one or two unliekely episodes here and there. Sortv'e like what the Barklays did with Unto Us a Child is Born, however, I did notice while scanning through the family's history that the first episodes were somewhat real, especially, "The Defining Moment" (Perhaps since Marshal Younger seems to be the writer filling as the serious show writer). Oh sure, if I remember right, the reviews mentioned not liking it because of Marvin's poor acting and Whit's commentary, however, we didn't realise that it was the rare examples where they acted like a normal family throughout it (Even though only two of the current family members were on it).

I enjoy humor. However, I enjoy the subtle humor, especially when it's obvious that the episode doesn't require humor in the first place.

Come to think of it, their is something else that Jonathan made me think of that pointed out that I enjoyed of this episode, and that is Marvin's subtle background jokes. It's a little how Jimmy did it (yes, we know that we shouldn't be expecting a copy of the Barklays) but it was when people talked seriously, Jimmy would add it subtle commentary that was quite humorous during the midst of it. That's what kept the old shows interesting, in a way. Perhaps the family needs an argument, or a real fight, or perhaps a serious issue to come up. Besides moving, which wasn't at all dramatic, they haven't had one. Perhaps that would compensate for the lack of seriousness in this unrealistic family.

Also, I suppose this episode really did affirm that Xavier is not longer in the series. It's a shame.

Acting/dialogue: 3/5
Story/Originality: 2.8/5
Use of Characters: 3.5/5
Series Relevance: 3/5
Personal enjoyment/Entertainment Value: 2.7/5

Total: 15/25= 60%= SCORE:AVERAGE-

(Rating Grid:
0%=Poison
0-20%=Complete Failure
20-40%=Very Poor
40-60%=Poor
60-70%=Average
70-80%=Good
80-90%=Very Good
90-100%=Terrific
100%=Perfect
)

For Reviews with Similar Opinions and/or agreed by Author of this review, please refer to: Jonathan
Last edited by Broadcast on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Durbelethwen
Lurker

Post by Durbelethwen »

I liked this episode except I do not feel that the writers completely made their point. The Washingtons were trying to do a family bible study. How does raking leaves teach them about God?

Sola Scriptoria
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I thought it was a good episode. Wasn't as good as Prisoners of Fear, but it was good. O:) I gave it 4 stars, but it is pretty close to 3. If that makes since.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

This was a hard review for me to write; this is the third of fourth attempt.

This episode, as far as I’m concerned, is a slice of life stuck between the problems last season and the successes of this season.

First, the bad. There were many things from slice of life episodes last seasons that made them, well, not incredibly enjoyable. This can be summed up in one word; wackiness. Crazy music back-dropping funny dialogue that is made not funny by that distracting crazy music. Crazy and unbelievable situations (like when they went to pick up Tamika with Ed in Elaine’s bathrobe and Marvin being tied up). As an older fan, I do not appreciate this.

Actually, most of the Washington storyline had me sitting there going, ‘is this family for real?’ (I’m also willing to bet I know which of the two writers wrote this part of the story).

Only one time has this formula worked, and that was Sunday Morning Scramble. Only one. Not a great record, which means we need a new formula.

Now for the good.

This really doesn’t have anything to do with the ep, but I like hearing from the fans (I’m assuming this was from the Eugene concert last July). Now to what I liked in the ep:

Clever dialogue. The ‘PLEASE’ stuff, Ed at the table, it was good. Which is what this series needs, as an audio series is built on dialogue.

The phone scene. First, this is proof that we do not need crazy music to enhance funny dialogue (or in this case, monologue). In fact, I’d guess that this scene would’ve been weaker if we did have crazy music.

Eugene-he was classic here. His dialogue was sounding more and more ‘techy’, and he had some funny lines.

Candid Conversations with Connie; this one actually sounded normal, and with witty Eugene/Connie banter.

It was also good to hear about Eugene’s philanthropic organization. A concern I remember from the reviews for Back to Abnormal was this organization. Some suggested that if Eugene was going to run this, we needed to hear from it. It cannot become like the Timothy Center or Whit's End Connellsville; something we know is there, is a big part of a main character’s life, but we rarely hear from.

And that about sums it up. What this all says is, the old formula (good dialogue, normal music, and believeable storylines) work, and the formula from last season doesn’t. (I’d also like to see John Campbell get rid of some of the crazy music and write new cues). Thankfully, the good outweighs the bad, so I’m giving it 3/5 stars.

-Jonathan

edit-
Broadcast wrote:Why does that family always revolve some sort of stupidity?
This is what I was trying to get across when expressing my being not so thrilled with the Washington's part of the story. It's getting old.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I also give this ep 3 stars. It definitely wasn't the best episode I've ever heard. Like broadcast and Jonathan, I feel that the Washingtons are in serious need of a change.

I also felt that Connie was portrayed way too immature in this episode. I mean, she has grown up a lot over the past few years, what with the whole thing with Mitch and all, it simply required her to age at least 6 or 7 years. And, suddenly, now that Eugene's back, everything is back to the way it used to be, including Connie's behavior. It might just be me, but that's how I see it.

Other than that, it was a good episode, though. Not a classic totally awesome one, but average.

Ok, that's my opinion.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
map
Found

Post by map »

I'd give this episode a 3 as well.

I really liked the story line with Eugene. Many times we forget what is important and we try to do too many things and we end up not doing any of them well.

As for Connie: maybe Eugene brings out the worst in her, but I would have liked to see more maturity between those two.

I'm in agreement with the Washington's. What exactly was the point of them going to help? They got busy doing something else, atleast as a family, but not what was best- Spending time with God.

It seemed to me that the writers were trying to say that the Washington's were an answer to Eugene's problem, but I really think the episode would have been more powerful if Eugene's problem made them realize they needed to stay home together and have the devotions.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I'm not sure I like where Eugene's organization is going. I liked Prisoner of Fear because I can see Eugene and Katrina using their brains to help people (IE, the transmitter and Grady's refrigerator). I don't really like them making Eugene mow lawns and stuff like that.

And I agree with the person (can't remember who) who said that they need to make Mr. Washington more like George Barclay. I think if they take the Washingtons in the same general direction as the Barclays, they'll be okay.

They'll never be able to replace the Barclays, though. I was just listening to The Very Best of Friends, and it almost made me cry. There was just too much depth to the Barclays for anyone to replace them, although I certainly hope FOTF will try!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Rachael wrote:They'll never be able to replace the Barclays, though. I was just listening to The Very Best of Friends, and it almost made me cry. There was just too much depth to the Barclays for anyone to replace them, although I certainly hope FOTF will try!
Which is precisely why we, as fans, absolutely cannot compare the two familys. We can say 'the Washingtons need a new direction' (and they do), but we can't say 'they need to be like the Barclays', if that makes sense. If we do, no family in Odyssey will ever measure up, as each one is unique, and we will always be disappointed with the new familys.

-Jonathan
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Jonathan wrote:
Rachael wrote:They'll never be able to replace the Barclays, though. I was just listening to The Very Best of Friends, and it almost made me cry. There was just too much depth to the Barclays for anyone to replace them, although I certainly hope FOTF will try!
Which is precisely why we, as fans, absolutely cannot compare the two familys. We can say 'the Washingtons need a new direction' (and they do), but we can't say 'they need to be like the Barclays', if that makes sense. If we do, no family in Odyssey will ever measure up, as each one is unique, and we will always be disappointed with the new familys.

-Jonathan
I'd agree to an extent. Obviously, I used a lot of comparison to the Barclays in my review, and I must say that it's almost extremmely annoying, for both readers and AIO writers, to compare. First, mainly, because they aren't the same people whatsoever. And secondly, perhaps they aren't even trying to make them the same. What's the fun of that? If it was obvious that they were trying, then it would be sadder. However, if it's obvious that they're coming up with their own creation, then that deserves an applause for just that.

In my review, it was evident that it was the first time I compared the two families. However, I wasn't critisizing the Washington's because they weren't the same. I was simply looking at what makes a good interesting family. And obviously, the only way to show people is to make comparisons to a family that has the qualities that reflect that. Now, I couldv'e compared the Washingtons to the Shepards, the Mulligans, or anyone else, but the fact is that the other families didn't concern the points I was getting across. The Barclays achieved in a good family, and I won't ever look at the Washington's in a lower fashion because they aren't the Barclays--because, personally, I don't want them to be, and neither should the rest of us. I just want the good qualities to be there--indeed, like the rest of us.

So, hopefully, this clears up my today's strange and unusual habit of compairing for families. I'll rarely do it again in the future, however, my remarks remain in my review.

BC
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

^Ok, that was what I was trying to get across. Appearently we're thinking alike tonight.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

I gave it a three. It's nice to see the Washingtons again, but Marvin is starting to get on my nerves. There's something about his character I don't like... Maybe he reminds me too much of my younger brother :P. I DID love the progress in Eugene's organization and I look forward to more updates of it, although I don't want it to be over done :P. I think it was a great solution for the Washingtons to help Eugene since it's still helping Christ. It shows that we don't always have to help God and praise God the traditional way. Helping out is a good way to witness.
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

I gave this ep 3 stars.

There were a few things I liked, especially Eugene's "vanquishing" of his phones and Mr. Washington trying to get his family to have devotions (reminds me of my dad, haha), but isn't Eugene supposed to act more like an adult by now? Or is this how he's always supposed to act? And why does Connie have to come across as being so dense? I liked the Washington's bit, but it seemed like their storyline in this ep was an imitation of "Sunday Morning Scramble." Why do so many AIO eps feature over-busy characters? They were funny at first...now they're annoying.

This ep would have been so much better if it hadn't been so...predictable.
In the darkness, the Lurker frantically tries to figure out what is going on.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Kanimoto wrote:but isn't Eugene supposed to act more like an adult by now? Or is this how he's always supposed to act?
Just for the record, Eugene has been an adult since his introduction.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah but eugenes never acted like one
lol
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

mr.whit wrote:yeah but eugenes never acted like one
lol
Connie hasn't either, especially around Eugene.