NaNoWriMo

It's that time of year again.

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

NaNoWriMo

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Anyone doing it this year? I am--and I hope I can clear 50000 words this time. For those of you who need clarification, NaNoWriMo stands for "National Novel Writing Month." I'll quote part of the website, since I'm lazy...
the NaNo Website wrote: National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.
(For more information, see http://www.nanowrimo.org.)
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Wow, that sounds cool. But...er...where in the wide world of sports would Frank find time for it? :sniff:

I hope you win Elf...if you enter! \:D/ Yay!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

*thinks his sister would like this.*
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

One of my friends was telling me about this last year. It sounded funny how he told it. I know that I can write that much in a weekk. (I tend to write alot when assigned a story to write. For example: the teacher said that the short story was suppose to be five pages short, well I made it 16 pages long and then cut out about 8 pages.)
That was in April, I am writing another one and it's 14 pages. (And I am not done.)

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey, that sounds cool! \:D/ I've never heard of that before. That's a lot to write in a month, though. :-k I think that I'm too lazy to try that on top of school and my time here ;) but it would be cool to do!
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

It would be cool to do and win. What's first place get?

Yours Truely,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

I'm thinking of trying it, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get the time.
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

I heard of this before on another thread, and yeah, I don't know how I'll have enough time for it... sure sounds fun though.

SUPER JEREMYCARTWOOD!!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I have never heard of it. It sounds very interesting. What do you win? 175 pages and 50,000 words? Wow!

Go, Elf! Go, ELf!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

You win... um, a really cool button to put on something. >_>
I finally found my plot. And now my copy of RotTK is dogeared already up to book two. Hey, Mr. Ancient Chinese Author Guy! Prepare to be defeated by some foreign-type teenager with a laptop, okay? No offense.

...although I'll probably just sort of dive in and stop and restart in a completely different direction, it's nice to think that I have a plot and can actually follow it.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Wow! That sounds cool! If I had the patience and the imaginiation needed for such a project, I'd do it. But, I don't, so I won't... :(
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Thanks, AIOFan. ^_^

Aaaaand...it's off! (Here, anyway. It's 1:17 AM and I'm up for homework reasons, *cough*along with*cough* NaNo and webboard-ing....

700+ words so far.

Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Sounds really interesting. And you've always had knack for writing stories, if I remember correctly... Hope you do well, Elf. O:)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

...I would challenge you to a duel of words, but the time difference would be problematic. *moves to Japan so she can compete with Elf* >_>
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Thanks...I hope I can beat 50,000 this year. ^_^

Sonuna, when you move to Japan I'll gladly accept the duel.

I just ran a word count right now. I have exactly 1337 words. This is a moment to be commemorated. :D

Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

o_O Nifty.

My current strategy appears to be hyping the unstarted novel immensely so that I can use guilt about not finishing as an effective motivator. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

You live in Japan, Elf? Awesome!

I wish It were November 1 here! I still have 9 hours and 45 minutes until I can start writing my superhero story.

I've already got a little bit of plot thought out, and my Protagonists are more or less solid, but I'm having a hard time coming up with my supervillains. Oh well. I've still got almost ten hours before I can start.

And you don't really win anything for finishing. You just get bragging rights and maybe a cool image for your website.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Hey, Elf, can we read it when you are done?
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

I would do it, but I don't have the time with all the other stuff I am doing. I know that I can do it though, and I even have a whole series of books lined up in my head. I even have two short stories that I will someday make into full length novels.

Yours Someday Famous,
-Cowboy

Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Hope you do well on yours, Rachael! *gives Aragorn pep talk to Sonuna and Rachael <_<*
AIOFan11 wrote:Hey, Elf, can we read it when you are done?
Hopefully. If it turns out good enough. ^_^ I'm thinking of posting each chapter (or at least an excerpt from it) on my Blogger. I'll let you know.