Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Well, as a noobi, my Wonka phases are WAY before your time. :D

I have mixed feelings about the new movie.

First off, let me say that the new movie was AWESOME. JD gave one of his best performances, and it was funny as heck.

"Good morning starshine! The earth says hello!"

:hilarious: :rofl2: :hilarious:

The new movie had alot of cool effects, and the songs, as much as I hate to admit it, were 10 times better than the ones from the old movie. I listen to the soundtrack from the new movie almost everyday!

They seemed to tone down the kids' brattiness. The kids were MUCH brattier in the old one, which was better IMO. It seems like they toned down the new kids so as not to offend alot of people by making them like so many kids in America today are.

The orverall storyline was really good, and the ending that they added was very nice.

Now, for the old movie...........

Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you that the original 'Willy Wonka and the Choclate Factory' is my absolute favorite movie of all time. That, IMO, is the perfect movie. It was flawless; Gene Wilder, who I must say, was a better Wonka, was the perfect guide through his factory.

He had a TON of woderfully hilarious lines, much more than JD. He seemed more in control, more enigmatic. His reaction to the kids.......'mishaps', was priceless and timeless.

IMO, no other movie will ever match the brilliance, imagination, and sheer hilarity of that movie. As I said, my favortie movie of all time.

Over all, both movies are very good; they are both hilarious, have good messages, and are pure works of imagination.

But, I must say that the original is still my favorite.

Hope that helps!
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

When I was like 3 years old I watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and had childhood trauma. LOL I might find it not so *clearing his throat* horror related now! I probably should watch it again so that I can observe it more closely! 3 probably isn't the time to review a movie :P
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

danadelfos wrote:When I was like 3 years old I watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and had childhood trauma. LOL I might find it not so *clearing his throat* horror related now! I probably should watch it again so that I can observe it more closely! 3 probably isn't the time to review a movie :P
I DID TOO!!!!!!

It always did, and sometimes still does, bother me a bit. But I love it so much!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

After reading the book I can now give my feelings on it.

Johnny Depp Version: I liked the oompa loompa's better in the new one and the songs. The only kid whose character I felt was better then the Gene Wilder version was Veruca Salt. She wasn't a whiny brat in this one, but you could tell she was still a spoiled little brat. What I didn't like was how they made him almost afraid of the parents. I know they were exploring the background of Willy Wonka, and I'm sorry, but all I saw was Sauroman the dentist. The other thing I liked was instead of Grandpa Joe simply telling Charlie about the glory days of the factory we were shown. And I like how they showed each child coming out of the factory because of the consequences of what they did. I loved the grandparents in this one, too. I think Ronald Dohl would have been happy with this adaptation.

Gene Wilder version: I think Gene Wilder is the perfect Willy Wonka. It's been years since I've seen it, but when I was reading the book it was him that I pictured and heard. What I liked about this one is that they didn't make Charlie choose between the factory or his family.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I was so almost going to be the Depp Wonka for Halloween...my hair's about that length, and I can do a freaky good "You're really wierd"...so, yeah...but it didn't work out. :sad: I guess there's always next year. \:D/
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

It was good, but I prefer the older one.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

AIO Psyche wrote: He had a TON of woderfully hilarious lines, much more than JD. He seemed more in control, more enigmatic. His reaction to the kids.......'mishaps', was priceless and timeless.
There were no great cannibalism quotes in the old one though...were there?

-jolly
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I have mixed emotions about this movie. First off, let me say that I personally enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny Depp was hilarious, and his performance had me laughing throughout the whole movie! Deep Roy did a great job of playing the parts of all the Oompa Loompas, and the various songs were very fun, too. I don't have enough good things to say about this movie's soundtrack. It totally rocked! Let me tell you, Danny Elfman is a genius when it comes to composing movie scores. So, with all of the wonderful things I have to say about this movie, why do I have mixed emotions about it? Well, I had a problem with Depp's protrayal of Wonka, and this problem is something which has been communicated to me by those much wiser than I am. As I watched his performance, there was something that made me a little uneasy. His appearance, mannerisms, and gestures were all very feminine. Granted, I found most of it to be pretty funny, but, in the world we live in today, subtle messages can be communicated through seemingly innocent films. The fact is that God made males to act masculine and females to act feminine. And in a society like ours that makes less and less of a distinction between genders, something which Depp agrees with, it's important to be aware that these ideas are flat out wrong. Now, I'm not saying it's wrong to watch this movie, and I speak only for myself when I say that I really enjoyed it, but I think that, as Christians, we need to be careful about the messages that are being communicated to us through the movies.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

jollyholiday wrote:
AIO Psyche wrote: He had a TON of woderfully hilarious lines, much more than JD. He seemed more in control, more enigmatic. His reaction to the kids.......'mishaps', was priceless and timeless.
There were no great cannibalism quotes in the old one though...were there?

-jolly
I loved that cannibalism line. It was hilarious.
Godsballerina
Gold Member

Post by Godsballerina »

I saw it in theater and I now own it on dvd!! it is the best movie!!!

"lets buggie!"~charlie and the chocolate factory!
Oh the Cleverness of me!!~Peter Pan

I love Ballet!!!
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I haven't seen it yet, though I want to.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I haven't seen the new one yet (which is the one I assume you're talking about) but I am just itching to watch it.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Godsballerina
Gold Member

Post by Godsballerina »

I now order everyone who has not seen the movie to go out and rent or buy it!! It is the best movie of this year so far, without counting Narnia!!

How many people noticed besides me, that Agustis Gloop does NOT have eyebrows? (Hmm, weird fact I know!)

Willy Wonka} Chewing gum is really grose, Chewing gum I hate the most!~ (And that comes from the heart!!)

Willy Wonka} Everything in this room is eatable, even I am eatable! But that would be called canavalism, my dear children, and is frowned down upon in many countries!

Grandma (@willy Wonka)} You smell like Chocolate!
Willy Wonka (@grandma) } You smell like, Old people! And ...Soap! I like it!
(Grandma gives willy wonka a hug!!)
Oh the Cleverness of me!!~Peter Pan

I love Ballet!!!
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I just saw it. I have 2 different responses. It was GREAT for no reason. Which shows bad logical reasoning. But I didn't like it because Johnny Depp SO looked like a girl, and it didn't give an implication of God, at the end I felt sorry for the poor children. Was Augustus Gloop really made of chocolate and how??? Anybody know? Oh well I did like how it taught people a lesson and how it showed that we should obey our parents and elders who know better. I liked the grandpa actor? and the dad actor? they with just the way they acted were really funny. :P
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I haven't seen anything more than the trailer. :anxious:

Willy Wonka seemed like an interesting character and his actor looked like he was doing a good job... but he creeps me out. :thud: Sorry, the hair, the face, the way of talking... ugh... ](*,)

The one part of the trailer that I thought was really touching was the little boy, Charlie, who was just so excited to get to go to the factory. :-#

:bolt:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Chandler wrote:I haven't seen anything more than the trailer. :anxious:

Willy Wonka seemed like an interesting character and his actor looked like he was doing a good job... but he creeps me out. :thud: Sorry, the hair, the face, the way of talking... ugh... ](*,)

The one part of the trailer that I thought was really touching was the little boy, Charlie, who was just so excited to get to go to the factory. :-#

:bolt:
Definitely...it is on DVD now and I might watch it but...it was just weird the way he looked...in other news we watched the original in class yesterday...it was awesome!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I saw the trailer on TV and that is all I want to see. I can't stand Johnny Depp.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

This movie has quickly become the most quoted by my kids around the house. There are some great lines in it.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Eh. I may get pummled for this, but I didn't like it.

Some parts were good, but most were really bizare. Johnny Depp was really creepy and reminded me of MJ. I already did not like him as an actor, so maybe that added to it...

I had heard rave reviews about the movie, and I just kept waiting and waiting for it to get better. Needless to say, it didn't.

The old one was good, and the books were good as well. This one just wasn't up to par on my scale.

*shrug*

Sarah
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Sarah wrote:Eh. I may get pummled for this, but I didn't like it.

Some parts were good, but most were really bizare. Johnny Depp was really creepy and reminded me of MJ. I already did not like him as an actor, so maybe that added to it...

I had heard rave reviews about the movie, and I just kept waiting and waiting for it to get better. Needless to say, it didn't.

The old one was good, and the books were good as well. This one just wasn't up to par on my scale.

*shrug*

Sarah
Bizarre is good :D