Depression

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I think that medication has its role in clinical depression. It's most effective in conjunction with counseling or some sort of therapy. I'm all for seeing pastoral counseling if that's a viable option. Depression stinks bad enough without having people tell you you're sinful and that's the reason for your problems and if you'd only lean on God than all your sadness would disappear. Nope, not that easy. If people get treatment for diabetes, why not get treatment for this illness?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, I don't see how it's taboo to use this kind of medication when most Christians would seek medical aid for other problems...

Depression, mental illness, or whatever sickness or disease or ailment... first and foremost, prayer is important. But medicine exists for a reason.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I think sometimes we DO get depressed because we're walking far from God... and other times we feel like God is occluded from us because of our depression. I think it's really up to the person's discernment, and what they feel the Holy Spirit to be telling them.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I've been depressed... mostly for reasons, though. There have been periods where it was for no reason, but that usually didn't last too long. There was always something that would encourage me. :)

For certain reasons, I've been depressed for over a month.... :anxious: right now I'm ok, but we shall see how things go ;)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Yah, I would agree that Jesus is the real answer. :yes: *gets depressed sometimes, but then goes on the ToO and becomes not depressed* \:D/

Sometimes I think the ToO is like my anti-depressant drug. I really should be going to God for these kinds of things, but I usually don't. It's so much easier to just retreat to my happy little world here online where everyone is loving and caring and will totally cheer me up...and I think that's great and God has truly blessed this place. But the ToO shouldn't be my first resort to fight depression. *was depressed a lot in recent days...points to title* :sad:
map
Found

Post by map »

ok, here's my 2 cents worth.

I don't see anything wrong with taking anti depressants or counseling. They both have there place. I suffered severe depression when I was younger. I was not a Christian and I took anti depressants and I went to a counselor. I believe I benefited from both. Here's the thing tho, while on anti's I felt better, so I stopped dealing with the real issues because they didn't cause me so much pain. I went off the med's and I'd get episodes again, but not as bad because I could recognize them better. So I went to counseling and dealt with the issues.

Then I became a Christian and things got a lot better. I still get depressed at times, but I can give my problems to the Lord and know that He is with me. I also rely heavily on the fact that He loves me unconditionally.

My recommendation: Seek Christian counselling and Seek GOD's WORD! God is the best healer of them all! I take comfort in knowing that Jesus is my Prince of Peace. He calms my soul and makes me know that I am worthy!
DrBlackgaard
Gold Member

Post by DrBlackgaard »

I've been depressed off and on over the years...as a kid I was isolated and a lot was expected of me with no reward, as a teenager I struggled even more to fit in and understand myself and life.

But in my experience there are a few things that help depression and will probably provide more lasting answers/relief than any medication. (And I still have to stop and remember them on a regular basis because believe me I still struggle with depression that just hangs on.)

- Suround yourself with good friends and people you can count on and trust

- Take your focus off yourself... find someone who is even more depressed/in worse standing than you and invest your free time and resources in them

- Read a chapter or two in your Bible and spend a while praying every single day.. if you can't keep with it, find someone who will keep you accountable

- Counselors are good, but only if they have good vision themselves... in my experience having a good friend who knows you well and will look you in the eye and listen to you for just as long as you need it goes a lot farther than a professional counselor... $60/hr and a technical degree in counseling doesn't mean that much unless they love you and care about you like a friend. If you like the one hour a week kind of thing sit down and tell your best friend you want them to meet you at such and such a time every single week...remind them how many people hurt themselves somehow or other because of depression and tell them it's very important to you. If you don't have a best friend, find somoene you can help out... invest in their life and before long they might want to invest in yours.

- Schedule some time off and try to do something for yourself once in a while, put aside the notion that you don't deserve it.

- Invest time and effort into your own life...work on becoming physicly strong, educated, hard working, strong Christian, well rounded, etc. You'll find whatever you invest time and resources in you'll get something back from it and you'll begin to value it.

- Face one day at a time. God may call you home tomorrow and you won't have to worry about it. Consciously hand your future (and your past) to God and tell him he can do whatever he wants with it... then remind yourself of what you did whenever you think of whatever hurts.

- Realize you're not alone, there are plenty of us out here who struggle with depression.

- PM me... I need someone to talk to myself sometimes.

Not trying to make it look like I know anything, I've just struggled with it for long enough myself.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

awesome reply Drblackgaard!
I would add a few things to all of your good suggestions, too.
Get outside if you can, go walking or running. Physical activity works wonders.
Listen to non-depressing music.
Definitely spend time talking with close friends.
Don't isolate yourself. it's easy to stay home alone when you're depressed, but it's really a bad idea usually. Even getting out to a park or walking trail you'll probably be better off.
don't take yourself too seriously, or as one of my friends says, "take it lightly, brother"
Definitely pray, try to work through the tough issues with God's help and wise Christians. There's nothing wrong with asking for help.
I have a bunch of other things that have helped me as I've certainly been clinically depressed a number of times.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I find it sort of frustrating when people suggest "Jesus is the real answer" for depression but for things like cancer and other illnesses, we imediately assume medical treatment is the answer, right?

I'm not saying we don't pray in those instances, I'm sure we all do, but we all still go to the doctor for medical treatment. Depression isn't always something someone can pull themselves out of with prayer or will power. A brain chemical imbalance is the root of a lot of depression and needs therapy or medication. God can heal it instantly without the help of any human, obviously, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to heal us through medical professionals or medications. . .
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

^^I agree completely, JD. While prayer and home remedies have been helping a LOT in my situation, I feel like I might really benefit from medication-- but only if I don't go behind my mom's back to get it. I think God is taking care of me because He knows I'm honoring my mother's decision not to have me see a doctor about my problem. But someday, hopefully, He'll provide a way for me to get professional help that doesn't involve disobeying my mom. :-)
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I have depression, and feel like I'm doing better without the meds or counseling than I did with them......though I know that every individual is different......this is officially my research project for Psych this semester.....traditional methods (meds, counseling, etc) vs non-traditional methods.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Neat! What have you come up with so far?
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Rachael wrote:Neat! What have you come up with so far?
:anxious: :anxious: :anxious: The topic :anxious:

I'm still reading through tons of material to determine what I want to use, what I might want to use but won't have a emotional breakdown if I don't use it, and the things that absolutely positively won't be used.

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Well, you're much further along in your report than I am. I don't even have a topic picked out. Actually... I don't even know what the report is about!

When is it due?
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Rachael wrote: When is it due?
Uhm.....:anxious: definately before June :yes:

Peace Out

-Gimp

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

lol, well, mine is due in exactly 11 days, so you're still doing way better than me.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Rachael wrote:lol, well, mine is due in exactly 11 days, so you're still doing way better than me.
for a procrastinator anyway :yes:

;) :p
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I'm currently reading the chapter the paper is due on... that has to count for something, right?
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Your question (about the due date) got me currious, so I checked....I believe it's April 12th....definately sometime in April......plenty of time ;)

Peace Out

-Gimp

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Well, I took the test for the chapter... made a 96. :-( I had made straight 100's on all the other tests. I still plan on 'bailing' on the other two tests, even though taking one of them would let me drop the 96%. I just don't have time, and it's not that important to me. If I make a bad grade on my final or this last writing assignment, I might take another one, but right now I just don't have the time. Spanish and Anatomy consume most of my waking concentration. :-)