FOTF supporting same-sex couples?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

FOTF supporting same-sex couples?

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

We were pleasantly surprised last week when Focus on the Family expressed its support for state legislation that would provide expanded legal benefits for same-sex couples and other non-traditional households.
http://www.familyresearchinst.org/Default.aspx?tabid=92

Tell me this isn't real. :(
Last edited by Elf of Rivendell on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It makes sense from a legal standpoint, if I heard Dr. Dobson correctly...
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

How so?
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, this is interesting. This link from www.family.org provides a bit more info.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

marriage is between a man and a woman... period. That's the way it has been in law for centuries, and is in the Bible.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I believe we are all in agreement there. We're trying to discern what on earth this story (the one linked too in the first post of this thread) is about, and if it's even true.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

well, it doesn't surprise me, I think it's true that FOTF is supporting same-sex legislation :sick:

I never have been a fan of FOTF anyways, they do not have all their doctrines correct, and now this tells me they are for sure not following God. God never designed for families to be made of two men, or two women, and children.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

WINDSHEAR wrote:well, it doesn't surprise me, I think it's true that FOTF is supporting same-sex legislation :sick:
If it's true, that would surprise me. FOTF and Dr. Dobson have been the most outspoken against same-sex legislation and marriage and what-not.
WINDSHEAR wrote:I never have been a fan of FOTF anyways, they do not have all their doctrines correct, and now this tells me they are for sure not following God. God never designed for families to be made of two men, or two women, and children.
I'm curious; why have you never liked FOTF?

edit-Been doing some research.

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Focu ... d=2/8/2006

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Focu ... =2/16/2006

I haven't listened to both yet (only started the first one), but this should answer questions.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Dr. Dobson addressed that on his broadcast about a week or so ago. So, you can probably find it in the archives at oneplace.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Heh, beat me to it. Look up^

edit- http://coloradosenate.com/2006/01/30/mi ... ss-sb-166/

edit2-I really do like Google. The bill in question:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics2006a/c ... 166_01.pdf
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

arrg #-o lol... I like listening to FOTF sometimes... I've heard some things I don't agree with, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. However, I haven't listened to them recently, nor heard their stance on same-sex partners. The reason I wouldn't be surprised, is because so many churches are following down the same path supporting "gay rights"

I haven't read those links, but if they are not supporting it, that's great. :)
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I haven't heard the brodcasts yet (probably will when I get home from school tonight), but I don't think the first article is true. I can't possibly immagine FOTF or Dr. Dobson supporting same-sex marriage in any way.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I listened to them, and it doesn't sound like they are (which doesn't surprise me in the least).
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

I'm in a hurry, as always, and haven't read any of the articles linked above. However, this came to my attention a few days ago when National Journal's Hotline broke the story, and since then, there's been somewhat of a feud between FOTF and the Family Research Council.

I admit that my knowledge of the issue is limited, so I'm very open to being corrected if I'm missing some facts or my interpretation is incorrect, but as I understand it, Dobson is backing a bill that allows two or more private individuals to enter into advanced contractual arrangements. It's sheer lunacy to call it marriage, as the bill is specifically designed to benefit such diverse categories of relationships as elderly parent and son/daughter, siblings living together, roommates (with nothing else implied), etc., as well as same-sex couples (or, for that matter, cohabiting heterosexuals, I suppose).

It is not the legal equivalent of marriage. That name is not conferred, that status is not recognized and employers would not be under any obligation to recognize one's partner for benefits or anything else.

What the bill actually does is make allowance for what I think constitutes basic decency. I may not agree with homosexuality, but I still think it's cruel to deny a partner the privilege of hospital visits. And what possible justification is there for saying that property can't be owned jointly? As Focus explains, this bill is meant to help a lot of people in many situations. Inasmuch as it helps homosexuals, it is a matter of common decency, as far as I'm concerned.

Can any of you honestly say that it deeply offends you that someone's same sex partner would be given the right to see them in the hospital? And if so, do you really think that's a Christian response?

I don't always agree with FOTF, but they're absolutely right on this one. And incidentally, if you don't want gay marriage introduced, then perhaps the wisest recourse is to respond to the legitimate grievances homosexuals have. I support this on principle, but I could easily argue it as a prudential and pragmatic solution as well.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Given what Jared/Zed said about it, I don't have a problem with it either.

http://www.family.org/married/topics/a0025114.cfm <This outlines the Focus on the Family's ideas about homosexuality, doesn't it?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I was surprised when I read the header...

Then I read the topic and agree with Jared.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
map
Found

Post by map »

I haven't had time to listen to any of the links, but it would TOTALLY surprise me if FOTF was supporting same-sex marriages. Dr. Dobson wrote a book on the subject about marriage in crisis and in that book he is against same sex marriages and that it is against the bible. He also writes about the effects same sex marriages will have on insurance and other issues as well. I caught part of his program the other week and he was addressing the fact that he wasn't for same-sex marriage and that he is being attacked for his beliefs and outspokenness about same-sex marriages as being wrong.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I didn't even know anything about it until I was in the car with my mom, listening to the broadcast that explained why there was all this worry about FOTF supporting gay couples. There's nothing to worry about; they do not at all.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

FOTF = Brokeback Mountain?

SPOILERS!