610: "Hear Me, Hear Me"

Episode Reviews -- Spoilers inside!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think?

5 stars: Dearest, loveliest El--I mean, Episode
8%
4 stars: How many ways are there to say great?
32%
3 stars: The good, the bad, and the beautiful...or just somewhere in between
34%
2 stars: I've got a bad feeling about this
21%
1 star: Any choice is better than this!
5%

Total votes: 38

LizzieG
I've been working out

610: "Hear Me, Hear Me"

Post by LizzieG »

Here is the place for all your comments, complaints, and compliments about the show...starting Saturday! \:D/
Last edited by LizzieG on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Whit's cousin got on my nerves, and I had really hoped that walnuts would end up in that hot chocolate that Eugene gave Connie, but otherwise a good show.

Three stars.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I liked it because it was like Connie and Eugene used to be, always fighting.. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

You know how there's that one occasional AIO episode that seems out of place and disrupts the entire flow of the season? This, unfortunately, is one of those episodes. It brings back unpleasant memories of the Spring 2000 season. In fact, it seems like many recent AIO episodes have shared the same characteristics that bring to mind the days of split episodes: "bouncy," childish music; a weak plot; and too much silly dialogue. This episode just happen to have these elements in heavier doses.

The last item on that list brings Wooton to mind. Now, I must admit: I enjoy Wooton a lot. When he first appeared in "Welcoming Wooton," "The Popsicle Kid," and some of the Novacom Saga shows, I instantly loved his character. It seemed like every word he spoke was memorable. Eventually, his character was developed further in "Bassett Hounds," "Tuesdays with Wooton," and other episodes that were popular with AIO fans. But now, it seems like nearly every Wooton episode is just a vehicle for him to throw in an element of silliness. No character development at all. There are some funny moments, but nothing as meaningful as Wooton's inspired craziness in "For the Fun of It," where there was actually some purpose behind the silliness. Even in other cases where there wasn't a lesson involved with Wooton's character, it was used in moderation, which made the episodes enjoyable and fun to listen to.

But in this particular episode, there's almost nothing memorable about Wooton. For example, let's take his line at the end of the first scene: "Look at all those walnuts!" Was that supposed to make us laugh? In fact, it seems like other characters are out of place as well. Connie and Eugene have reverted back to their old arguing ways, and in terms of story development, Whit was only there to judge a science fair (which anyone else could have done) and throw in the words of wisdom for his cousin (who was annoying, but somewhat funny).

This episode also nearly follows the old "two-story" formula in which one story is meant to be humorous and fun to listen to, while the other is meant to be more serious so that the lesson taught is more noticeable. Except in this show, a third storyline is thrown in: Whit's cousin. This particular story was hardly developed at all, and yet it's here where we hear the basis for the moral of the episode. With the Wooton/Connie/Eugene story being the humorous storyline, the Trent/Liz storyline was pretty much meaningless. Again, the latter storyline contained several elements that were designed to be funny but ended up being hit-and-miss jokes. The scenes in Trent's imagination weren't even half as memorable as the ones in "Called on in Class." It's too bad that Whit was used so poorly in these scenes as well - not only was his character weak, but his acting also sounded so...well, acted. And what was with the "Whit's End Science Fair"? The name is pretty uncreative (compare it with the "Downhill Derby" race from "The Popsicle Kid").

This leaves us with the Wooton/Connie/Eugene storyline, which pretty much redeemed the show from being a complete failure. Even though Connie's and Eugene's characters did seem a bit out of place, much of the dialogue was fun to listen to, and the scene at the end was sweet as well. Not to mention that Wooton was the perfect person to "host" the contest - who else would implement such creative consequences in a game? :) I must admit - it was nice to hear references to old episodes like "A License to Drive" and "Green Eyes and Yellow Tulips," although many of these references appeared to be a bit forced at the same time. For me, the most memorable part of the entire episode was the scene where Wooton spoke (or tried to speak) with Whit's cousin.

But in the end, I wish we would hear less episodes like this one. Let's bring back the old slice-of-life shows like "Tuesdays with Wooton." And at the same time, let's look forward to an amazing three-parter next week. :)

(5 out of 10)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

While listening to this episode I got hit by a proverbial 2x4. An epiphany, if you will, maybe b/c this episode followed last weeks. Sometime this author's humor hits me spot on, and sometimes I'm left brooding. This time I was left pacing.*

It is because of this that I decided to give it a second listen this morning to see if my opinion would've changed after listening to it on Thursday night.

It didn't.

In fact, it was less entertaining the second time around.

Like noname said, it brought back bad memories from the season that nearly killed my fan status for AIO. Goofy music, shallow dialogue, just childish in general. And not in the AIO way, more like the Barney way.

Even Eugene and Connie! I'm sorry, but you can't just throw in elements from the past and expect them to be funny without being intelligent, or at least like they were. I never thought I'd ever ever say this, but wow, even this can be overdone and their bickering got old, and very very fast. I didn't feel like I was listening to a classic C and E discussion, but a couple of immature 8 year old siblings bickering. And Wooton, who has shown great maturity in recent eps, didn't help. I know they intended the tabasco sauce scene to be funny, but boy it wasn't.

And the Trent/Liz storyline. Most of it was the daydreams. But you can't make that the meat of that story. Talk about no character development...

Even the few serious moments with C and E were cheapened by the over-the-top attempt at humor.

I was browsing reviews of a not so popular ep from nearly 5 years ago, and found this quote. I thought it could apply here:
True, not all episodes NEED a moral lessons/scripture reference. (EXAMPLE: I Slap Floor - Moral Lesson: Slap Floors as Often as Possible.) But besides the bizzare get-away-from-everything I Slap Floor and the lookback-style episodes, Odyssey episodes need lessons and Scripture references.

Adventures in Odyssey isn't a soap opera or just a radio sitcom or even just a radio drama. It's a CHRISTIAN radio drama designed to TEACH while entertaining.

Television has been called mindless entertainment. Pure entertainment does not require much thought; certainly nothing provoking. Odyssey should provoke. Odyssey should make you think; make you consider things. Odyssey should TEACH.
What was I taught? Listen, and don't interrupt. I probably should've watched Dr. Phil for an hour then listen to this twice.

And like the quote said, the occasionnal bizarre funny episode is fine. Last week's qualified, and this one didn't.

This isn't spring 2000. Why, then, does that quickly-becoming-distant-painful-memory continue to be dredged up? Fans have shown time and time again that we don't like goofy wacky pointless episodes like this! Spring 2000 showed that, Fairy Tal-e-vision showed that, so why do we still get episodes like this? Thankfully, they are becoming rarer and rarer.

I should stop, because I'm just ranting now. Needless to say I was very, very disappointed in this episode. And so, for the first time in over two years, I must give the rating of 1/5.

*I included that paragraph to indicate that I do not have anything against Kathy. I didn't even know she wrote it til the end (though I was willing to make that guess by the time I heard the credits), and so my opinion wouldn't have changed regardless. Sometimes I find her episodes terrific, and sometimes not, as it is with every writer. This one just really rubbed me the wrong way is all.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I didn't enjoy this episode very much at all. :( I thought Whit's cousin was a rather odd addition....never having heard from her before, this strange lady suddenly shows up. At first I thought she was Edith Sutton and Whit got her name wrong. :- I also did not like Trent's imaginary scenes - I never have liked any of his other ones either. :anxious:

There were a few funny moments with Wooton, although even I, who love his character, didn't like some of it. Those few moments salvaged it a tiny bit so I'm rating it 2/5, instead of 1. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

noname wrote:You know how there's that one occasional AIO episode that seems out of place and disrupts the entire flow of the season? This, unfortunately, is one of those episodes. It brings back unpleasant memories of the Spring 2000 season. In fact, it seems like many recent AIO episodes have shared the same characteristics that bring to mind the days of split episodes: "bouncy," childish music; a weak plot; and too much silly dialogue. This episode just happen to have these elements in heavier doses.
Well, it's about time that someone shared my sentiments.

Aside from the fact that I sortv'e enjoyed this episode, I have to agree...and this has been my opinion for the past couple of years. I was fortunate not to have left Odyssey during it's split/eps seasons. My brother did, but not I. It was fortunate that I didn't because, first of all, Novacom appeared. And I don't know whether the writers realize this or not, but EVERYONE was into Novacom. I tell ya, it was just like the Lost series. A show would appear and EVERYONE would be discussing it--adding it theories, and falling in love with these great, well written characters. In fact, it was SO well written. Even when the occasional episode wasn't, it usually made it up somehow along the way. I heard many testamonies working at Christian camps of so many people who didn't really listen to Odyssey, but sure stuck around when they heard about Novacom. College students, working in bookstores, always showed up to work early so that they could hear while working the continuing saga of these characters. Even 9 year old children (though, the series did not interest 8 year olds) asked me not to play the regular slice-of-life shows because they wanted desperatly to be frightened with suspense before going to sleep. They were involved in the smart suspsenful writing (Veil) , the witty diologue (Secrets), and the romance between Connie and Mitch.

My point for that ramble is that Novacom, I must say, was the most "maturest" (is that a word?) part of the Odyssey series. And, both kids AND adults enjoyed it with great interest. Now, I'm NOT saying that Odyssey should always be like that. All that I'm saying is that the series is changing again, and we're not given any reason why. I've been noticing the change ever since the album of "Out of Control". Now, it's been a progressive slow change, but it's been noticeable none the less.

Now, the main theory I have is that they're trying to get a new sort of fan base back to listening Odyssey; namely, the children. I mean, the music has gotten rediculously "bouncy" (which I HAAATE), the storylines are much more simpler, the diologue is filled with so many silly words and the character development is nowhere to be found. They're relying so much on these actors that they're not even bothering to develop them. Oh yeah, and the new art? Which was more for kids? The old art or the newer stuff? Oh, and what about this "Odyssey Podcast" stuff? Do the hosts make the older fans feel REALLY old or what?

Here's the deal. When the show first started...yeah, it was sure a lot more childish then it is now. I admit. It is. But the show started to grow as the fans grew. Just look at it. Albums 1-2-3 feel like for 8 year olds. And then from 4-12, it feels like it was for 10 year olds. And then from 13-18, it felt like it was for 12 year olds. And then from then on it felt like it was for all ages. And the number of more interesting adult shows nearly doubled. The Jack and Jason era were never more targeted for both parents and adults then ever before. Just look at the themes; Love, Dating, Death, Marriage, Divorce...They were handled very carefully because kids were listening, but I can listen to them easily now (I'm 18) and not cringe because I feel like I'm listening to a kids show. Today: I do really feel like I listen to a kids show. There is rarely an episode that I can even show to my parents without feeling somewhat embarresed. However, I could go through through several later Hal Smith episodes, the Jack and Jason era, and the Novacom saga easily without having to feel that embarresement. The problem now is that they decided to decrease the age of the show a bit. They have it targetted towards children much more then before. There's now maybe an average of one episode that I can actually listen to with my entire family (and there are no longer even any teens left in my family). And usually those are three-parters.

I actually remember a time where I used to quote episodes.

Ok, next up; character consistency and development.
noname wrote:The last item on that list brings Wooton to mind. Now, I must admit: I enjoy Wooton a lot. When he first appeared in "Welcoming Wooton," "The Popsicle Kid," and some of the Novacom Saga shows, I instantly loved his character. It seemed like every word he spoke was memorable. Eventually, his character was developed further in "Bassett Hounds," "Tuesdays with Wooton," and other episodes that were popular with AIO fans. But now, it seems like nearly every Wooton episode is just a vehicle for him to throw in an element of silliness. No character development at all. There are some funny moments, but nothing as meaningful as Wooton's inspired craziness in "For the Fun of It," where there was actually some purpose behind the silliness. Even in other cases where there wasn't a lesson involved with Wooton's character, it was used in moderation, which made the episodes enjoyable and fun to listen to.
Alright, this leads me into character development. I've actually never thought about Wooton experiencing this problem, but I believe a lot of characters are totally being inconsistent and mis-used. No, not in there diologue, but in there storylines. Recent episodes are an example. Connie and Eugene bickering? Did we not get through this? Have we not watched them grown. I'm sorry, but we actually got to the point right when Whit got back from the middle East, that Connie and Eugene had gained each other's respect. Whit even said so himself. They got past that. And now the writers want to bring them back together and have them act silly, and stupid, and argue...and...wow. We actually watched them grow and mature on the show, and ever since Eugene came back, I don't remember them acting more in-mature and more-stupid. A clear example of Inconsistent writing.

Whatever happened to Connie's future? College? She decided to take a year off from it, remember? Remember all that?

Eugene--he doesn't work at Whit's End anymore. He's married. He has a job. A job which doesn't pay him--but a job nonetheless. Meanwhile, he's flirting with Connie while hanging out at Whit's End. Oh yea, and every so often he's talking to his lost dad and fighting off the people who want him.

Nick. Yes, everyone knows how much I love Nick. Here we have a character; he has a bad past, he's got problems, he's trying to fit in with his family, he's rebellious, he's a non-christian working at Whit's End...there's a heck of a lot of storylines and shows you could get out from that! Now what? We never see him! Oh, I forgot--he tried out for a...Harlequin Theatre Play? Wait. Let me get this straight. He's a bad-boy, lady-man, tough guy, smoker, and boxer, and now we decided that he's this nice guy that's into theatre and he's now a good influence on children because he works behind a counter at a Christian shop influencing the minds of children. Do I need to remind the writers that he's not a christian yet? And he's working at Whit's End. And he better not become a christian anytime soon, because I have heard no more than one show about attempting to convert him. The character was classic! He had great lines! He's nowhere near being "all-used-up" in storyline!

Bart! He's now getting dumber and dumber every episode I listen to him. They seem to just be playing up his "dishonesty" all the time, always trying to out-due the previous episode. He's starting to sound like Harlow. Alright, what about shows like "The Other Woman", "Tornado", or the other times where we actually saw him have a sense of morals?

I think the writers mis-understood the fans. When we said, "We want Odyssey to be back like what it was when it was Old", we didn't mean Connie and Eugene being behind the counter bickering like the old days, with no other employees. We just mean we want it to feel like the old Odyssey. Jack and Jason replaced Whit, and still managed to feel like the Odyssey of old. Why? Because the change was handled in a good way, while still keeping the heart of the show. The characters were adapted to the change well, it was realistic, and it made us interested in the change.

Don't be afraid of change, Odyssey. And don't be afraid of targetting the show to a larger Audience. Even if it means that half the shows are for kids, and half the shows are more for adults. Remember, the adults are the ones who you need to keep listening. If it's just targetting towards kids, well, they'll just grow up without wanting to keep listening. So please...get rid of the 8 year old music.

I still sometimes learn from the show. And if the lesson doesn't apply for kids yet, well, it will someday.

Oh well, who knows. "The Top Floor" might turn things around. Or, it could just be that seasonal episode that adults can listen to.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I gladly second that entire post.

Though I thought this season had been going somewhat ok--which is just another reason I couldn't stand this ep.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Well...I had quite a few issues with this episode, but now reading through the posts by noname, Jonathan, Laura Ingalls, and Bennett, there's nothing left to be said. They covered everything I was going to mention, and then some.

I'm not sure if I feel as strongly as Bennett, though I do agree with most of his post. I think that AIO has been trying to bring the quality of their episodes back up lately. Oh, sure, there's been a handful of poorer quality, kid-oriented episodes this season such as "My Favorite Thing" and "Like Father, Like Wooten," but I don't think we'll ever get completely away from those kind of episodes. Every age of AIO has had its share of Fairy-Tale-E-Vision's, but the good always outweighed the bad in the past.

Now, I think the quality of AIO has been lacking ever since the Novacom series ended. But then even the Novacom saga still doesn't feel "classic" like the Jack & Jason era. I would say that overall, the quality has been improving over the last couple of seasons. It's not back to its former glory, but it's trying. There were a couple episodes last fall that I was able to qualify as "classic" Odyssey, something I haven't been able to do for a long time.

That said, "Hear Me, Hear Me" is not a classic. Far from it. In fact I haven't been too thrilled about any of the episodes so far this year (well, Run-of-the-Mill Miracle was pretty good). But I'm excited for next week's three-parter. And I'm even more excited to hear what AIO does next (after all, with the Leonard Meltsner arc finished and still another six episodes left in the season, I'm curious to hear what they'll do next).
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Check out the Unofficial Odyssey Podcast review of the episode. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
anistilina
Gold Member

Post by anistilina »

it was o.k. not the best that they have had , ita had a point at least to actually listen
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Evelyn : Hear Me, Hear Me :: Felicia : Living in the Gray

Add me to the delivery-simply-wasn't-up-to-par-though-the-listening-lesson-was-great-in-theory list. :?
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

So yea. Trent's voice is different. That stinks.

I guess he'll be leaving sometime soon...

Bennett
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

SkidPaw wrote:Whit's cousin got on my nerves, and I had really hoped that walnuts would end up in that hot chocolate that Eugene gave Connie, but otherwise a good show.

Three stars.
Hop on one leg or mayoise? Hop on one leg. yepppeee wotoon back
total 4 stars :D but Whit's cousin got on my nerves as well talk talk talk and the rest.But hear me hear me
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bennett wrote:So yea. Trent's voice is different. That stinks.

Bennett
*glares* Slap your tongue! Trent must stay!

I found this episode more applicable after I went to my US history class and was reminded of what it's like to be around people who never shut up. There are two girls in that class that I talk with, and they both like to chat endlessly and never shut up, and it really is annoying. It was a nice reminder to me to try to not be that person that annoys everything, though it would be hard to be as bad as Evelyn. ;)

It was interesting how the set-up for the contest paralled the intro to "Truth, Trivia and Trina" but with Wooton instead of Bart. Connie and Eugene did seem to have reverted to their past selves.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Bennett
Trent sounds older now. That doesn't necessarily mean he's gonna leave. Especially since he's got this thing going with Mandy. And it doesn't look like she's gonna get kicked off anytime soon.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bennett
How dare you even suggest that Trent will be leaving?! :x

I couldn't disagree with you more. :noway:

...Mandy! :inlove:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Granted it was just a side comment I loved the fact that they mentioned Muskegon, MI. Since it's only about 45 min. north of where I am it's the next best thing.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

It seems to me that i am one of the only person on this board that enjoyer this episode. I loved the whole Wooton/Connie/Eugene story line. The trent one was decent kind of childess. and that now brings me to whits cousin this part of the story was the only part i hated. we really could have had the episode without ever hearing a word for her. And because of her i ended up giving this a 4 instead of a 5
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I found Wooton's interaction with Evelyn amusing. However, the theme ... didn't have enough development during the entire episode so that it was definitely really good.

Filler episode? Yeah. Not as good as most AIO's I've listened to. 2/5.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!