Post Post subject: Odyssey Authors Edition 1
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:25 pm 
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Cash: 0.93
Put together by Kat Doyle

There’s a Wind Blowing
Written by Lord_Kappa

The forest by the stream had guests. A semi-circle of shrouded women squatted on the ground in front of a woman wearing a t-shirt and skirt. She was speaking to them in a foreign language with a kind voice. One by one the shrouded women rose, and removed their veils. The woman in the t-shirt hugged them and spoke soft words of encouragement.
One woman did not stand up. If her face was not veiled you would see tears running down her face. “How can we forget our heritage?” She asked the others. The woman in the t-shirt came to her, knelt down, and said, “God made all men; all men have the same heritage. God made men and women equal.” The woman with the veil rose, weeping, and embraced the other. They held close to one another for a moment, and then they separated. “I love God.” The woman said, dropping her veil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The burned out building was not out of place in the dilapidated city. A balding man with dark skin looked at the ruins and rubbed his hand through the remainder of his white hair. How could God have allowed this to happen?
Careful not to appear too interested, in case the extremists were not far away, he started walking along the street. Out of the corner of his eye he saw movement. He turned, suddenly, and stared into the remains of his church. A body was shifting under the ashes, a heavy beam from the ceiling and a portion of the tin roof were covering his lower body.
The balding man rushed to the victim, and quickly unburied him. When he turned the victim over he was shocked to realize he was a Muslim, this wasn’t the victim it was the aggressor.
The Muslim was barely conscious; his face was caked in ash and dirt from the floor. The pastor quickly unburied his legs and picked him up. He then carried the man 16 blocks to the hospital and admitted him under his own name.
When the man woke up, the pastor was beside his bed praying for him to get well. “Why did you help me?” The Muslim asked, “Don’t you know that I burnt your church?”
“God gave me the strength.” The pastor said, “I know you are my enemy, God tells me to love my enemies.” The man cried, “I want to know your God.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tears streamed over the tears painted on, spreading the dark ink across white cheeks. Comforting arms wrapped around the dark straight hair and around the wide shoulders.
The two teens, one in a skirt and frilly shirt, with long curly hair, the other in all black with dark-dyed hair, were both crying. “I trust in Him.” The dark haired girl said, “I trust Him with my whole life.”
“The Bible says God will not fail you.” The other girl said, a smile breaking across her face. “Trust in Him.” Her smile became a beam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The long dark legs ran through the high grasses. His journey was done. The young man sprinted the last mile back to the village.
Coming to the village square the man found all of the people gathered in a circle, holding hands, and crying out to the Father with all of their might. Calling the village elder to hear his news, the man proclaimed the wondrous works of the Father.
“They have turned back! They do not continue forward but return to their own village!” He cried. The people began shouting in victory and dancing wildly. “May the Father be praised for His deliverance this day!” The elder said.
Later that night the chief and the head-warrior of the neighboring village, which had turned back instead of attacking the village, came to see the elder. “Peace upon you,” the Elder greeted them.
“Elder, we need to know something,” the head-warrior said, his fierce, stone-cold face was a contrast to his eyes, full of doubt and fear. “What did we feel?”
“Warrior, do not be ashamed of your fear. The Great God is mightier than any warrior; He can defeat the greatest of armies. The Great God answered us, His children, by turning you and your warriors back.” The Elder said in a strong voice, despite his age the voice was youthful.
“We will surrender to this Great God.” The chief said, and the head-warrior nodded and looked up. “Tell us how we can be His children, also.” The head-warrior said, tears running down his cheeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man stood alone, staring out the window at the sea of cement and aeroplanes. His briefcase was sprawled, open and scattering papers, at his feet. Tears ran down his face, but no one noticed. Everyone scuttled through the terminal with barely a glance at anyone else.
The multi-lingual intercom announced that his plane, only a gate away, was having its final boarding. Hurriedly he picked up his briefcase and, wiping his tears away, he rushed to the gate. He did not look at the dark, beautiful, young woman who checked his ticket; he did not look at the flight attendant, her white hair sticking out of her bun, when she greeted him. His tears blurred his eyes and he was sure they were turning red. But it was not from embarrassment that he did not look, it was from shame.
How the book had ended up in the seat pocket in front of him on the last flight he did not know. Whoever wrote it and placed it was guided by God, how else had it been left there, in the same seat he had occupied on his 3 hour flight?
The book was a simple journal, with handwritten entries. But the journal was written to him. The book spoke all about God, and how much God loved him. The book spoke of another book, The Book.
This other Book was the reason the man cried now. He had found the book in a store in the airport terminal and had read some of the passages the journal had pointed out to him. This Book showed him how to live, this Book held Life. The Plane lifted from the asphalt and the man cried again. The clouds were beautiful. God is forgiving.

The Not-So-Grand Opening Part 1
Written by Kat Doyle
(c) Kat Doyle 2007

“Riley! Look! That new games warehouse is opening in town tomorrow!” called Layla, Riley’s twin sister, as she saw the ad on her computer.
Riley flicked his long brown hair out of his face and meandered over to the desk where Layla had a window open to the game player website.
“Cool, but could you explain to me why you are showing this site to me?”
“Is isn’t obvious? Mom won’t let us go to the mall tomorrow because of the protesting of the car factory’s pay cuts, but she might let us go to the opening!” After looking through a few more web pages, she came to the one she wanted then said, “Doors open at 10am tomorrow.”
Feeling nonchalant about the whole grand opening hoopla, he replied, “Whatever. You can go talk to mom and try to persuade her to let us go into the streets with people running all over with bullhorns and picket signs, while I sit up here and listen safely through the floorboards,” Flicking his hair again, he pushed his sister through the game room doorway, “and when the argument is over,” he asked “make me a sandwich will you?”
Layla turned the corner from the stairs to see her mom sitting at the birchwood table, drinking her coffee just the way she likes it--strong and black.
Smelling the not-so-sweet aroma, Layla shuddered, and then took a seat across the table from her mother.
“Mom there’s this-’’
Her mom leaped from her seat and retorted, “Haven’t I told y’all not to sneak up on me while I’m doing my daily reading?” Breathing heavily, she tried to calm herself.
“Sorry Mom, but I wanted to ask you something,” she said and leaned forward on the table.
“What’s it about? You know you can’t go to that mall. No dear, not with all them
protesters!” Layla’s mother exclaimed, spilling her coffee all over her newspaper and her white button down polo.
“No, not the mall. It’s that video game store that is opening tomorrow at 10am. Riley and I want to go to the grand opening. Can-“
“ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am not letting my two children go in to the street with protesting men mobbing the street! Y’all could get hurt and I ain’t letting y’all. Nope! Never.”
“But Mom!”
“Butts are gross. Go to your room so I can clean up this mess!”
Layla walked into the game room with a BLT on a plate and shoved it into Riley’s hands, “Don’t say anything!”
Smirking, Riley said, “I told you so!” and took a bit of his sandwich.
“Why is it that we can’t have anything exciting happen in our teenage life? I mean, the people on TV sure broadcast the teen years as the drama filled time of life! Have they never been a teenager? How far from reality can you get?” Layla went on about the stereotypical life and how misleading it is.
After about ten minutes, Riley got up, and looked at Layla, “Watch the pro do his work.”
What seemed like seconds later, Riley came back with a smile on his face, “see you at 9:30am tomorrow in the car, ready to go!”
Looking confused, Layla asked, “Wait--what?” but Riley had already escaped to his room. “How does he do that?”
The next morning Riley was up early.
“Layla, get up! We are already running late!”
After taking a few seconds to recoil and retaliate after being disturbed from her sleep, Layla moved her head to where she heard his voice and said, “Gimme a few minutes and I’ll be conscious.”
“You are the one who got me into this, not me. So you’ll be ready in, oh say, five minutes or I’m leaving to go to Parker’s house for the day.”
She rolled over in her bed her warm, soft, yellow bed to look up to see Riley’s pollution-gray eyes staring straight at her. It never made sense to her how Riley could be up at 6am everyday, “Seven minutes and you’ve got yourself a deal!”
“Six!”
“Seven!
“Five!”
“Five and a half and I’m not going any lower!”
Riley sighed, and then finally agreed, “Fine.”
“Thank you. Now leave me to my peace that I rightly deserve.”
“Okay! Five and thirty seconds…and counting! Five and twenty nine…five and twenty eight…”
Pulling her soccer tee-shirt over her head, then squeezing in to her best white-washed jeans, Layla got ready for the grand opening.
When Layla walked in to the kitchen, her mom took one look at her and said, “Layla, ain’t you gonna put on some better jeans than them?”
“My jeans are fine. I think that these are my best jeans. I don’t have any that don’t have more than two holes.
“But Layla.”
“Mom, I’d debate this, but Riley and I have to get going to the grand opening,” Layla said in a flash, trying to get out the door to meet her brother.
Riley turned the brass door handle and she was blasted with the noise of men picketing and shouting Strike! Strike! Strike!
It was horrible.
They finally arrived at the warehouse. Riley and Layla looked around. The lush, green grass was covered with people sitting, standing, and laying. Layla looked to her left and noticed little kids swinging their twig-like legs over the branches of a lofty red oak tree while their mothers just shrugged and went back to their chatting. The noise of children playing tag filled their ears from all around. As Riley inhaled, the crisp, fresh, autumn air filled his lungs. He sat down and felt the chilly earth beneath him. Little rollie-pollie bugs were crawling on the ground. A dog barked at a brown squirrel as it scampered up a tree. The sun was shining through the thin clouds in the air. It was obvious that this was a fall morning.
Just then, a very plump man in a black suit with a rose pinned to it and a tie that looked like the sewing machine chewed it, came out in front of the throng, attempting to get the crowd quiet.
“Attention! Attention!” the man spoke with a slight French accent, “We would like to get started as soon as possible!” He then stepped aside and pulled out his handkerchief, blew his nose, and returned the hankie to his pocket.
After many minutes of mothers telling their children to be quiet, the crowed finally got the picture.
“Welcome everyone to The Games Palace grand opening ceremony. We are glad you could come. The Games Palace is the place where you can fit all of your videogame needs. We have a service area for those problems that even you can’t fix! We carry all of the latest games for all types of consoles. But so much more is inside, so please, go inside and enjoy your time at The Game’s Palace.”
The man opened the door, and like ants to sugar, the crowd poured into the warehouse.
“Wow Riley! Look at all of this! It’s a videogame player’s dream!”
Riley scanned the inside, an amazing collection of video games and systems lined the walls and the shelves. Children were tugging on their parents’ shirts, begging for toys, games, or whatever suited their interests.
“Whoa! Look at th-“
Layla was interrupted when the lights went out in the warehouse.
A muffled voice said, “Don’t move. Stay exactly where you are, or there will be consequences!” The screams of people running around and the thumps of things being thrown into pouches, bags, and baskets filled their ears. Things were being pulled off of the shelves at fast paces then the footsteps proceeded toward the doors and then finally died. The lights flickered back on. Everybody looked around and screamed, eyes darting everywhere to make sure that belongings and children were there.
“Riley! The systems, the consoles, the games, they’re all gone!”

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:42 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,940.77
Bank: 1,958.31
A brand new publication is always good to see! :D I enjoyed both of the stories. Lord_Kappa's was serious and thought-provoking, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next Katherine Doyle's story! Thanks for letting us know when your next edition will be available!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:27 pm 
We love you StrongNChrist
<3

Cash: 13.72
Very nice you two! I can't wait for part II of KD's story and LK's story was deep and meaningful!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:20 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 0.00
Lord_Kappa's story was very thought provoking, but it does have some gaps. Good work, Lord_Kappa, I hope you will continue to work with that and perfect it... maybe turn each one into longer stories.

Katherine, your story is great! I can't wait to see who stole all the games, and how Riley managed to get his mom to agree so quickly! (You will tell us, won't you?) Mothers know best, it's an important lesson to learn. (And I have a personal experience with this.)

Thank you for publishing this! I hope more people will participate next time. :glare:

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:19 pm 
Eh, whats up doc?

Queen Prunaprismia wrote:
Lord_Kappa's story was very thought provoking, but it does have some gaps. Good work, Lord_Kappa, I hope you will continue to work with that and perfect it... maybe turn each one into longer stories.

:roll:

You are Lord_Kappa! :x

DO NOT CLICK HERE!!!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 am 
I post like Shadowpaw

Agentpaw wrote:

:roll:

You are Lord_Kappa! :x

*Gasp!* How dare you make these baseless accusations! I am Queen Prunaprismia! :noway:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm 
I love the Town Council!

Cash: 14.24
Bank: 0.00
Copy right some of those thing are not yours.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm 
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster
in the smoke of rank and file

Cash: 1.02
Blog: View Blog (8)
Rodenyrathbone wrote:
Copy right some of those thing are not yours.

Actually, rodeny, Kat Doyle has had the express permission to include those stories. Considering, the element of writing she herself did is probably worth much more than $20, then it is not necessary to put it in quotes.

However, thank you for your concern.

save your pandas: vote racecar!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:06 pm 
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Cash: 4.30
Bank: 54.06
And Rodney, just a guess, Kappa hasn't copyrighted those stories anyways.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:17 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

When an author gives his or her works to a newspaper they do not have the same rights over that article as before. And Lord_Kappa gave her the rights, and she gave him proper credit. (I.E. the "by Lord_Kappa")

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:23 pm 
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Cash: 4.30
Bank: 54.06
But, Lord_Kappa doesn't exist. So, that means it must be some anonymous user.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:27 pm 
darcietastical
darcietastical
Nothing to see here.

Cash: 159.09
I think Lord_Kappa exists, but he is stuck in some kind of parallel dimension or perhaps the Queen has him locked away in a lonely tower somewhere. A miracle really, that he was able to get the story to us! Perhaps carrier pigeons? :-s

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:54 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Some ingrateful peasant wrote:
perhaps the Queen has him locked away in a lonely tower somewhere.

Just what are you accusing me of? I know Lord_Kappa, and he is neither dead nor locked in any tower.

I don't need to explain myself to you, peasants.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:58 pm 
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster
in the smoke of rank and file

Cash: 1.02
Blog: View Blog (8)
Some ingrateful peasant wrote:
perhaps the Queen has him locked away in a lonely tower somewhere.

Just what are you accusing me of? I know Lord_Kappa, and he is neither dead nor locked in any tower.

I don't need to explain myself to you, peasants.

Tell L_K that I've gotten his most recent pigeon-message. O:)

save your pandas: vote racecar!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:27 pm 
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Cash: 0.93
Hey all!
I am looking for many new writings to be added to the journal! Please PM anything that you have to me: poems, stories, plays...anything.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 am 
I love the Town Council!

Cash: 14.24
danadelfos wrote:
And Rodney, just a guess, Kappa hasn't copyrighted .those stories anyways.

Sure he does , can someone please put a quote on these.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:17 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,940.77
Bank: 1,958.31
Rodenyrathbone wrote:
danadelfos wrote:
And Rodney, just a guess, Kappa hasn't copyrighted .those stories anyways.

Sure he does , can someone please put a quote on these.

In case you aren't aware of this, Lord_Kappa is a member of the ToO and is currently using the username Queen Prunaprismia (the person who has posted in this thread several times in pink font). He is entirely aware that his work is in this thread because a) he contributed it solely for that purpose and b) he's seen this thread. It is not something that was copied from another site, or from a professional writer. It is something that he himself wrote. Therefore, it does not need to be put in quotes. :) If he copied it from somewhere else and then posted it, then it would need to be in quotes, but that is not the case here.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:46 am 
I post like Shadowpaw

I don't know if I'm going to be able to write anything for the next one! ](*,) I am very busy today, tommorrow, the days after that... and then I'm going to New York!

Come on people, everyone contribute to this if you can. :D

Lord_Kappa

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:27 am 
I love the ToO!

Yay! New York how much fun!! Where in NY? If you don't mind telling me..

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:46 am 
I post like Shadowpaw

Lord_Kappa will be visiting the Bronx, he'll be doing some sort of mission support work there.
Perhaps I shall get him to write about it for the following Odyssey Authors Edition (probably edition 3).

Offline Profile  

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next