628: The Highest Stakes - Part 1

Discussions and Reviews!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How many stars do you rate this episode?

5 stars
46%
4 stars
46%
3 stars
8%
2 stars
No votes
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 24

H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

628: The Highest Stakes - Part 1

Post by H Tide »

What did you think of this episode? Discuss and review! \:D/

I'll post my thoughts later. :D
querida
I've been here a bit

Post by querida »

Over all, a great episode. I loved Wooton and Sam at the end...that was too funny. Grady's dad seems like an ok guy....I just hope the end of the next episode isn't as unrealistic as Mandy's story arch was.
maybe its not the destination, maybe it's the journey

<3 Dasey <3
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It was really good except Wooten was in it, and Wooten is obviously evil. :noway: I liked it apart from that, though.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

"Quit Wooten' around!" - Wooten Basset

I love this! I'm going to use that phrase on some children I know!
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

I think it has potenial. I have a thoery about what is going to happen, but who knows.?
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

I really loved this episode. As soon as I heard the introduction, I was like, this is Grady's dad. I was so happy when I found out that I was right.
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Wow, I never expected the return of Grady's father or the gambling issue to come up, but I like what I've heard. Part I was a great adventurous start, so let's hope part II will provide a satisfying, teachable finish.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I wasn't sure I would like this one when I first read about it, since they just had the Mandy thing, but I was pleasantly surprised! Great episode! I loved the whole quit Wooten' around thing too! :lol:
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

When I listened to the beginning of this episode, I thought for an instant that I heard Richard Maxwell (:anxious:)!

I, too, was very surprised to hear from Grady's dad. When it was announced that all these story arcs would be concluded this season, I was sure it would be the season of happy endings. So far, I've been right. I do like happy endings, but having so many at the same time seems very unrealistic. Much as I was glad that Mandy's storyline ended happily, I hope this one isn't quite so perfect. And, I think a bittersweet ending is quite possible (and would be my choice).

I really liked this episode, though. It was very interesting, since I just recently listened to "Three O'Clock Call," and was sure that his dad was out of the picture for good. Looking forward to next week!
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

I wouldn't call the Mandy episodes unrealistic. And I do hope that the McKay parents will work things out . . . I think this episode was pretty cool, although the next episode seems really uncertain (and makes me rather nervous :P).
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

LizzieG wrote:When I listened to the beginning of this episode, I thought for an instant that I heard Richard Maxwell (:anxious:)!
Same here, and I still think Carson sounds Maxwellian.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Hehe, I thought for sure Carson was Jess Harnell! :anxious:

BTW, either Wilson or Carson was played by Patrick Labyorteaux, who played Andy Garvey on Little House on the Prairie. \:D/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Labyorteaux

Jeremy
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Taq wrote:
LizzieG wrote:When I listened to the beginning of this episode, I thought for an instant that I heard Richard Maxwell (:anxious:)!
Same here, and I still think Carson sounds Maxwellian.
Jeremy wrote:Hehe, I thought for sure Carson was Jess Harnell! :anxious:
Wow. I basically thought Carson was a blend between Nathan Carlson and Jess Harnell.

I talk a little bit about Lizzie's commentary on happy endings this season here.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
ComputerGeek
Smile for the camera

Post by ComputerGeek »

I liked the episode and I can't wait to hear part 2
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

After reading Trent’s blog and thinking about this throughout the day, I feel I need to explain myself better. Here’s an even longer commentary for you all to enjoy :)

First off, by “unrealistic” I was talking about the choice to end these three arcs (Grady, Mandy, and Leonard) at virtually the same time. I do not think that the ending to the Mandy storyline was unrealistic. I’ve loved the arcs (and the endings) in themselves, and found them to be real and relatable, but the writer in me doesn't like all these semi-similar endings coming at the same time…I also think that Leonard’s salvation arc moved a little too fast, but that’s another story. This issue is sort of a nitpicky thing, and I can understand why some inferred that I was talking about the endings themselves, as opposed to their timing and pacing.

Now that I’ve clarified that (or so I hope), here are my not-so-technical thoughts on the endings:

As Trent pointed out, “kids…need to be taught is that marriages can be saved... through prayer and through the power of Christ.” Very true. However, Carson and Christie McKay are not Christians, at least at this point. If the ending to “The Highest Stakes” is as final as the endings to the Leonard and Mandy arcs, I expect the salvation issue to come up in the second part.

One reason I don’t want a “perfect” ending is because I don’t think one 25-minute episode could do justice to the issues of salvation and reconciliation in such a complex situation. There’s a middle ground between Carson abandoning his family again and a complete resolution. Mandy’s storyline lasted for several seasons; Grady’s dad has just returned, and the McKay family arguably has more to work through than the Straussbergs. I’ve been looking at this two-parter as the conclusion to Grady’s journey towards faith, and even though I think that reconciliation is the most likely scenario, I believe that the writers could still be true to their purpose of “sharing the love and hope of Jesus Christ” if the story went the other way.

If a child becomes a Christian, it doesn’t necessarily follow that his estranged parents will get back together and accept Christ as well. It doesn’t always work that way. Even those operating under a Biblical worldview can only control their own decisions and actions, not those of others. Learning to depend more heavily on God, to trust Him even when circumstances are less than ideal, and an understanding that not all prayers are answered right away are all lessons that could coincide with such a scenario.
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

I really liked this episode, though...unlike the popular verdict, not as much as Life in the Third Person. See, my parents are divorced, and I know why they are and it is a good thing. More or less, my mother should NOT have married my father. The only good things out of it meant that my brother and I were born. That was it. So, my heart went out to Mandy... and to Grady, I guess. yeah....this episode was really good. And I don't know if I want it to work out right away...I don't know if that would work with the story.
Do you believe in the couch?
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I'd much prefere this story arc to end happily then any other. Even the Mandy arc. Sorry. :anxious:

Yeah I thought it sounded like Richard Maxwell too.

That clip at the end makes me think... never mind!

I love this episode. 5/5
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Jeremy wrote:Hehe, I thought for sure Carson was Jess Harnell! :anxious:

BTW, either Wilson or Carson was played by Patrick Labyorteaux, who played Andy Garvey on Little House on the Prairie. \:D/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Labyorteaux

Jeremy
Haha, how neat! \:D/

I too, think that Carson sounds like Jess Harnell...do we know for sure who the actor is? :-k
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.