What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm about 100 pages into Monster.
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

There are no shortcuts by Rafe Esquith
Vanished by Alton Gansky
Ginny Aiken's Silver Hills Trilogy
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Catspaw, I absolutely LOVE Dee Henderson. Have you read any of her other stuff? She is someone I re-read on a regular basis because every time I read it, I always pick up a new detail or joke etc. She still gets me even after the third read.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Catspaw, I absolutely LOVE Dee Henderson. Have you read any of her other stuff? She is someone I re-read on a regular basis because every time I read it, I always pick up a new detail or joke etc. She still gets me even after the third read.
I own and have read (several times) all of the O'Malley series. The Jennifer thing still gets me every time. :mecry: I've also read all 4 Uncommon Heroes books, though I didn't like the first 3 as much because I'm not really into military stuff, and they seemed like they would be better appreciated by an American. :anxious: The fourth one was the FBI, which has less technical lingo, so I liked it better. I don't think that she's written much else, has she? :-k
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

Dee Henderson is great. I hope that there will be an O'Malley Reunion at some point. I'm collecting the series...:o)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I actually like the miliatry ones better but hey. Yes she has two other books. One is called thae marrige wish, I didn't like it too much. It was her first or second one. the other I don't remember, but it is her second one I think.

*goes to look it up*

it's called God's gift. I am now placing a hold on it. Only 10 holds, good.
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

JesusFreak777 wrote:it's called God's gift. I am now placing a hold on it. Only 10 holds, good.
I thought it was yucky. :anxious: Very little plot and too much gush... not her normal style at all.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I kinda thought it would be, since it seems to follow the same time as the Marrige Wish. She definately improved with her later stuff! I don't mind reading clean fluff now and then, but I wasn't too impressed with Marrige wish. I hope God's Gift is a little better.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

Chandler wrote:Definitely acute. :-

The slaves weren't mistreated mellow? I haven't read the book myself but according to my Civil War studies, that book helped stir up a lot of anti-slavery sentiment in the North. :-k
what are you guys talking about? what do you mean acute? oh and right now at the part of the book theres some mistreating. really bad mistreating :shame:
Image [img]
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

mellow wrote:
Chandler wrote:Definitely acute. :-

The slaves weren't mistreated mellow? I haven't read the book myself but according to my Civil War studies, that book helped stir up a lot of anti-slavery sentiment in the North. :-k
what are you guys talking about? what do you mean acute? oh and right now at the part of the book theres some mistreating. really bad mistreating :shame:
:oops: Oh, er, you posted "angle" instead of angel and Sunday was making a joke about which kind of angle... right or obtuse. Acute is another angle.

Okay, I thought there must be some mistreatment in there or else I don't know why the book could cause so much uproar. :-k
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

you should read the book. its good, its written by a Christian and has tons of Chirstian stuff in it. because God is like the only thing that some of the black people had. and their fath is remarkable through out the book.
Image [img]
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Now I'm reading:

Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones
Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes by Brennan Manning

and I have The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on hold at the library . . .
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I am just now getting into R. L. Stine, since everyone else is getting out of him. I'm finding R.L. Stine books at rummages and Goodwill, so I pick them up cheap. I have 22 books, and am reading my second... The Fire Game. He's not too bad, sure some of his ideas aren't very origianal... but I don't see why I've only heard bad things about him.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

'Secret Garden.' I have a comprehension guide to go with it.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Love and War by John Jakes
Complete Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams
Pursuing the Pearl by Dannah Gresh
The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson

And so far, I like them all except Love and War.

Mandy
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

War of the Worlds
Monster
Obsessed
Me
An original

Post by Me »

As a avid reader, I can't believe it took me so long to come into this thread.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a copy of Silmarillion, which I will be starting in a few minutes. I'm also going to be re-reading Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by Wodehouse (hilarious and British, what more could you ask for).

For those of you who like thrillers, you may want to look into Jeanette Windle. She writes some pretty good stuff. I would highly recommend her book DMZ. She is Christian, so her stuff is refreshingly free of most of the stuff that traditionally mars the thriller genre.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I started reading Monster yesterday too! I don't know, I just couldn't concentrate on it. I don't know why, I usually really dig Frank P's books.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

i just started reading the oath by Frank Peretti
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Me wrote:As a avid reader, I can't believe it took me so long to come into this thread.

Anyway, I finally got my hands on a copy of Silmarillion, which I will be starting in a few minutes. I'm also going to be re-reading Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves by Wodehouse (hilarious and British, what more could you ask for).

For those of you who like thrillers, you may want to look into Jeanette Windle. She writes some pretty good stuff. I would highly recommend her book DMZ. She is Christian, so her stuff is refreshingly free of most of the stuff that traditionally mars the thriller genre.

I really liked DMZ. I read Crossfire as well, but I could not really get into Firestorm. :( My aunt got me and my grandpa reading these books as Jeanette went to my aunts church in Beaverton for ages before she moved away. THey are still in touch too. Ok sorry for the rabbit trail.

I just read When Heaven Weeps by ted Dekker. If you haven't read it it is probably one of the best books I have ever read. Thanks to all who recommended him to me. I am now in the middle of Blood of heaven by Bill Meyers. I'm also reading No Wonder we Call him Savior by Max Lucado (can't remember if I mentioned that or not) It is excellent.