2008 Summer Blockbusters!

Which will make the most money? Which are you must excited about?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

What film will make the most domestic box office this summer?!

Iron Man
9%
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
21%
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
26%
Sex and the City THE MOVIE!
No votes
You Don't Mess with the Zohan
5%
The Incredible Hulk
No votes
Get Smart
2%
Wall-E
2%
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
No votes
The Dark Knight
26%
X-Files 2
5%
The Mummy 3
2%
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
No votes
Tropic Thunder
2%

Total votes: 43

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

2008 Summer Blockbusters!

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yay! I did this last year and we had some interesting results: http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?highlig ... er&t=14568

I should have started this sooner since there have already been some big film releases... :anxious: But anyway yay! Vote, post, etc! :x

I picked Spider-man 3 as the box office winner last year, and was correct... however this year I don't really know. :-k I already know Iron Man is going to be my favorite, and while it is performing well its hard to say it will be able to beat Indiana Jones, which obviously has the nostalgic advantage, even if it is worse as an overall film. I have yet to talk to anyone who really, really, liked it, though, so word of mouth might bring it down eventually.

The only other film I see even having a shot is The Dark Knight... even though the first in the series didn't do amazing numbers, its popular and Joker is a more popular villain... and it's Heath Ledger's last complete film so that may draw out random people who wouldn't see it otherwise.

*predicts people will select Prince Caspian even though it obviously won't win* :noway: ;)

Note, films that I'm pretty sure don't have the slightest chance I went ahead and took off the list, because the board restricts me from having the number of poll options that I desire, so if you are sure Love Guru, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, or some such thing will win out, feel free to post about it but its not a poll option. ;)

EDIT: and I see only moments after my post someone did indeed vote for Prince Caspian. ;)
Me
An original

Post by Me »

My vote goes to The Dark Knight. It comes out at the right time to be huge, and the buildup has been incredible. However... I have a sneaking suspicion that Wall-E will be something of a sleeper hit. It just may claim the prize.

If Iron Man can stay at number three for the next two weeks, then it has a very good chance. This movie has done extremely well on word of mouth, and has continued to do well in the face of some very serious competition. Prince Caspian looks to be doing fairly miserably at the box office (after seeing it, I'm not surprised). It will be interesting to see what happens with Indy in the next week. It'll either continue to do really well, or drop off worse than Caspian did last weekend.

It's shaping up to be an exciting summer. Many must-see-in-the-theater movies.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ah, an intelligent topic! \:D/

Quite honestly, the only movies I see having a shot are Iron Man, Indiana Jones, and The Dark Knight. With Iron Man and Indiana Jones doing so incredibly well in their opening weekends, they're certainly going to be at the top by the end of the year.

In spite of my love affair with Prince Caspian, it has no chance. I blame Disney. :x

Does anyone else get the feeling that Wall-E will be one of Pixar's lowest grossing films? I'm just not grabbed by what I've seen thus far. One of Pixar's strengths has been in their storyline... I don't know if it'll work with a non-speaking robot as the movie's main character. We shall soon see.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Probably the Dark Knight. The fact that it is the last film Heath Ledger did/will do will only help it at the box office.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Iron and Light wrote:Probably the Dark Knight. The fact that it is the last film Heath Ledger did/will do will only help it at the box office.
That is not true: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

The dark knight will be good though. I thought Juno was great, and I know Iron Man is doing very good.
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by greencardigan »

I think X-Files 2 might do well. Though most likely Indiana Jones or The Dark Knight will do the best. I'm most excited for The Dark Knight, I absolutely Loved batman begins and now that the Joker and Harvey Dent/Two-Face are in this movie its going to be even better!
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I think Hancock is going to do fantastically well, idk why- probably because it has Will Smith in it. :-
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

About Wall-E not being popular because the main character does not speak...I believe Dumbo was one of the most popular Disney movies at it's time...and the title character didn't even speak! I think Wall-E will do great. Not the highest-grossing film of the summer, but I think it will do as good, or maybe better than Ratatouille. People went to see a film about a rat in a five-star kitchen, right? :D
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I assume that the Dark Knight will probably wind up being in the top 3, if only because of the outrageous popularity of the last one.

Personally, I'm most excited about Get Smart and hope it won't turn out to be as disappointing to the original as the Steve Martin Pink Panther remake was to the original Peter Sellers version.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Heh, I'm excited about Get Smart but haven't heard the best of things about it. :( Steve Carell is a great choice for Don Adams' role but I'm not convinced the script will do the show justice.

Batman Begins is popularly, and while it did well in the box office it wasn't anything huge, but I think its popularity expanded on DVD. People were probably afraid to see it in theaters after Batman & Robin. :anxious: Still, Ledger being in it, as well as the character of the Joker, should bring in more people.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Ryan wrote:
Iron and Light wrote:Probably the Dark Knight. The fact that it is the last film Heath Ledger did/will do will only help it at the box office.
That is not true: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

The dark knight will be good though. I thought Juno was great, and I know Iron Man is doing very good.
Even if it wasn't THE last movie that he did, it was still one of the last. Also, there is probably more of him in the Dark Knight than the other movie because the other one isn't even released yet, and he's been dead for a bit already. \:D/
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that Wall-E will be one of Pixar's lowest grossing films? I'm just not grabbed by what I've seen thus far. One of Pixar's strengths has been in their storyline... I don't know if it'll work with a non-speaking robot as the movie's main character. We shall soon see.
Ya, i agree with that. something about from what i've seen of it... it seems like a sort of fall from good pixar story line.
We have yet to see... :-k
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

fIRE PROOF COMES OUT ON SEPTEMBER26 th
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

myaio wrote:fIRE PROOF COMES OUT ON SEPTEMBER26 th
Had caps lock on?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

well I know Iron Man is gonna stay up in the top three for awhile now. Im not sure about Indy though, cuz after what happened to Narnia, it might have a chance of dropping. I pray to God that Sex and the city is not the highest grossing film, cuz I keep on hearing people talk about it, but I guess that doesnt mean their going to see it. I think Wall-E will do fairly well, but be lower cua a lot of Pixar movies have been lately.

I think the other BIG ones for the summer will be...........The Dark Knight and Hancock, cuz its got Will Smith.

Can't wait for these movies!

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

I'm really thinking that The Dark Knight is going to be pretty successful. I mean, you have the Joker in it. That alone will draw in a ton of people right there (maybe moreso now, since some people are saying that Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker seems to be more faithful to the comic book character than previously). The trailers are also interesting and mysterious enough to make me, someone who doesn't like the previous Batman films, want to see it, and that's saying something right there. :3
Trent DeWhite wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that Wall-E will be one of Pixar's lowest grossing films? I'm just not grabbed by what I've seen thus far. One of Pixar's strengths has been in their storyline... I don't know if it'll work with a non-speaking robot as the movie's main character. We shall soon see.
They certainly are taking a big risk with it. Seeing them do that sort of thing just appeals to me for some reason, though, so I'll definitely see it. Who knows whether it will work or not? It seems to be working for Nintendo games, that's for sure. xD
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

yes i did have caps on..i dont know bout anyone else but jelly fish gets on my nerves!!!!!!!!!ok anyone who picks on me does :-$
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Okay, one more vote for Prince Caspian and I am going to consider taking it off the poll. :noway: You people do realize this is to vote on which is going to make the most money and that's basically impossible at this point, right? :noway:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Why did you add it to the list in the first place? :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

The Dark Knight will probably make the most money based on the recent trend of Superhero sequels braking records. Prince Caspian will not make as much as most of its competitors. If it did not even beat Iron Man, it will not beat The Dark Knight.