SPAM

What is it, why is it so bad, and why do people do it?- A dissertation on the evils of spam.

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

SPAM

Post by Iron and Light »

For a very long time now, I have seen multiple noobs (and even some non-noobs :anxious:) asking what spam is. So I've decided to write a dissertation on the topic to help everyone out. The wonderful topic of.. SPAM! \:D/

Here's the answer to our first question:

WHAT is spam?

There are two definitions of the word 'spam.' The first definition of the word- the true definition- is a nutrition-less, fattening, canned meat product that induces vomit. Here are some examples of this type of spam:

^^An example of spam OUTSIDE the can and uncut.

^^A picture of spam INSIDE the can, away from human eyes \:D/.

Mmmmm...! Don't you just wanna eat it? *cough*

The second definition, and the most commonly used definition on this board, is worthless, idle, needless posts full of nonsense. They might be one word in length, one single smiley, a whole group of random smileys, or some combinations of the previously stated spam ;). Spam is also posting tons of different posts on tons of different threads in a very short amount of time; when this happens the posts tend to have a lack of substance, and thus fall under the category of 'spam'. Spam can even be a one-way conversation between two people. Here are some examples of spam on The ToO:

One-Way Conversation Spam Example

^^There is an example of a one-way conversation. It is considered spam. All one-way conversations (even if they could technically fit the rules and guide-lines of certain threads) should be done by Private Messaging. We have been having a lot of problems with one-way spamming as of late.
:crying:
^^Here is an example of a one smiley spam post :(.
SPAM

SPAM

SPAM
^^There is an example of a spam post simply saying "Spam" in multiple different colors :boohoo:
hah
^^Here is an example of a one word spam post.
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I will post funny, random smilies no one ever uses.

:demonstration: :lolsign: :pysche: :shocking: :cheerleader: :stooges: :detective: :photo: :pigfly: :stooges: :robot: :shutup: :flame: :virus: :jack: :coffee: :work: :slapfish: :hal:
^^And finally, here is an example of a spam post with multiple different smileys and the word 'spam' written over and over again.

As you can see, there are many ways to spam.

Now that we've established what exactly spam is, I will answer the next question:

WHY is spam so bad?

Spam is bad for multiple reasons. The first reason is that it clogs message boards with meaningless chat- multiple posts that mean nothing.

Another reason is that it ups people's post counts when they really haven't posted anything worthwhile, and that's not fair to the rest of the members who DON'T spam.

Spamming makes more work for the moderators and administrators- it takes a lot of time and effort to go through entire threads to delete spam.

I've witnessed first hand what spam does to a board- it RUINS it. You go into threads and find a bunch of nonsense instead of meaningful discussion. A board full of spam turns off decent would-be-members and attracts spammers in their place. Eventually, a board full of spam deteriorates so much that is either ceases to exist, or becomes so horrible that all the good members leave.

WHY do people spam?

Some people spam just to run their post counts up, but a high post count full of spam isn't worth anything at all :(. Also, when the admins and mods delete your spam, it disappears from your post count, and nothing is accomplished.

Lots of people spam to make more money, but what they don't understand is that spam doesn't make them money. When people only post one or two words, all that happens is their POST count goes up, but they don't gain any more jack. You get paid for posts according to how many characters you use. Therefore, when you do a post with only one word, you make next to NO money. Basically, the bigger you make your posts, the more money you get. When you spam, you make next to nothing, if you make anything at all ;).

Sometimes people spam to be funny \:D/. Most of the time, people who spam for laughs leave a little note at the bottom of their spam post like this person did:

JesusIsAlive wrote::yey:

I can haz kool spamming skillz...

Help us STOP spam!

If you see spam, report it to a moderator or an admin. If you feel you simply HAVE to spam, make sure you ONLY do it in Hillingdale Haven, and PLEASE, do it in moderation, however I suggest that you refrain from spamming whenever possible.

Thank you!

~Iron and Light

Disclaimer: All examples used in this spam sticky were found in Hillingdale Haven and the crazy Padded Room :D. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, just using their examples as illustrations \:D/.
Last edited by Iron and Light on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I feel like all eyes are on me cus I just did that one smiley thing yesterday. I admit it: I'm guilty!!! Now I understand the horribleness of spam and now recant of my former ways and have a fresh new aspect with a bright future filled without spam. O:)
I do what I do.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

GlennAdams wrote:I feel like all eyes are on me cus I just did that one smiley thing yesterday. I admit it: I'm guilty!!! Now I understand the horribleness of spam and now recant of my former ways and have a fresh new aspect with a bright future filled without spam. O:)
Haha, I'm glad my thread helped you see the errors of your ways \:D/. In all honesty though, I didn't make it to point fingers :). I'm not blaming anyone- just wanted to let everyone know what spam is. Some of you have been doing it unknowingly.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

What about one word one smiley posts?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

DanP740 wrote:What about one word one smiley posts?
Corey wrote:1.2 - Short Replies (ie. one or two words or smilies)
Often times members may feel the need to post a reply that is only one or two words. This is not good message board etiquette and with money also being a factor on this board, short replies such as "yeah", "ditto", "don't care", "huh?", "nothing", "not interested", etc... are not encouraged (neither are single smiley faces). In some Hillingdale Haven threads it is acceptable, but in almost every other circumstance, please try to avoid short replies. As a general rule, if a thread deals with an issue or poses a question that you have little interest in or cannot answer a question with anything but "nothing" or "don't know", please do not respond.
;).
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

DanP740 wrote:What about one word one smiley posts?
I think you get the picture ;). Now stop being a smart alec :x :D.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

*feels honoured that one of her posts was used as a good spam post* :hilarious:
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Thank you IAL for that illustration. I admit that I have spamed before, but I like to think that I have matured since then. :anxious: O:) Thanks for this! :yes:
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

JesusIsAlive wrote:*feels honoured that one of her posts was used as a good spam post* :hilarious:
*Also feels honored because one of her posts was used as a good spam post* \:D/
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Wouldn't spamming also be considered excessive posting rapidly without rest?
For example, posting in every Hillingdale thread you haven't answered within one minute.
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

=D> Very nice I&L!! The wonders of spam...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Birdie wrote:Wouldn't spamming also be considered excessive posting rapidly without rest?
For example, posting in every Hillingdale thread you haven't answered within one minute.
That's another excellent eample, Birdie! :D Thanks!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Catspaw wrote:
Birdie wrote:Wouldn't spamming also be considered excessive posting rapidly without rest?
Ya, but that's hillingdale!

=D>
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jellyfish11 wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Ya, but that's hillingdale!

=D>
HH is still subject to spam rules, though not always in the same way. :) Posting just to see your name down the "last post in this thread" list in a forum, including Hillingdale Haven, is still a form of spam and continues to be discourged. :)
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Depends,... I disagree that rapid posting is necessarily spamming, however, it usually is. :-k Rapid posting of posts with substance,... well, that would be a sight to see ;)

but sometimes I fill the page in HH as the last poster simply because perhaps

A: others are not posting therefore as I post slowly I am the last one to respond to every thread.
B: I'm posting fairly fast, but I actually do have something of substance to say.

If a post is funny or has humor in it, I count that as substance, as well as posts of a serious nature.

As a rule of thumb I avoid posting in any HH topic that has no real substance more than twice in a day. To do more than that would be spamming and having a 2 or 3 way conversation, plus raising my post count in a false way.

An example of such a topic would be the Count to a Billion thread, and the Word association thread. Rarely is there the opportunity to make a humorous post in those threads, nevermind be serious.

Of course, it's Hillingdale Haven, and basically I'd say HH is for having a fun time, and for very limited spamming (because I count the Count to a Billion thread as spam).

If you want to seriously spam, and see your name at the end of every thread in the list,... well, there's a place called the Padded Room! \:D/
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

So...because of this thread- I had a dream last night that I opened up a can of spam and had to take a bite of it. But....I thought it was too disgusting and started gagging in my dream... :noway:

:-$
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Simbelmyne34 wrote:So...because of this thread- I had a dream last night that I opened up a can of spam and had to take a bite of it. But....I thought it was too disgusting and started gagging in my dream... :noway:

:-$
Wow... I am influencing people's dreams \:D/
Justme&no1else
Lurker

Post by Justme&no1else »

Funny =D>
nO sIgNaTuRe NeEdEd!
katie2291996
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by katie2291996 »

Justme&no1else wrote:Funny =D>
Ooooh that's spam =; :shame: :shame: :^o :explode:
ImageIn a certain erra there lived a trio of swine who sought to construct protective domiciles from the eminant attak of the malevilant canus lupas~~ Eugene Meltzner - I want my BTV
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

katie2291996 wrote:
Justme&no1else wrote:Funny =D>
Ooooh that's spam =; :shame: :shame: :^o :explode:
random smilies that no one uses! :x
SPAM ALERT!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait