[ 14 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: 01: The Adventure Begins
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:34 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,697.71
Bank: 1,958.31
Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the very first album of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 67.

I enjoyed the way the chapter started out with a drawing of Connie that showed several different stages and then had some quick info. The "something that you may not know about Connie" (that she was an extra in a movie shot at her school in California) is fun because those of us who have heard the one episode that it's mentioned in are happy because we know cool stuff and keep a sharp eye out for new info, and people who are unfamiliar with the information learn something and hopefully will be keeping their eyes open for even more new tidbits. :D

On a humorous note, I loved the old picture of David Griffin on page 70. Darcie never would have married him if she has seen that picture first! :lol:

Until recently, I hadn't realized that Chuck Bolte was the voice of Dr. Julius Schnitzelbonker (I may have read it at some point and totally forgotten - who knows?) so reading that fact and also where the name came from on page 74 was a treat.

Seeing the issue over Officer Harley addressed a bit differently than in the old Guide was good - it wasn't just exactly the same information, which I appreciated.

Overall, this was a good start to the album section of the brand new Guide! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 0.00
I don't have as much to say about this chapter as I had to say about the book introduction in the previous blog.

I think the thing that drives me insane about thi schapter is the sunburst you see on pages 72 and 73. For me it makes it kind of hard to read. I like the picture of the fillmore recreation center on page 73. It is good seeing "Whit's End" before Whit took over the building. . . of course how they can fit so many secret rooms in Whit's End I will never know!

The other issue I had with this chapter was on page 74 where the lines from the trouble with Harley are intersecting with Whit's picture. The way I see it, I think that they should have just left the picture of Whit out or moved it up so that it doesn't intersect.

Dr. Julius Schnitzelbonker is one of my favorite characters. I didn't know that Chuck Bolte played that character until last month when I saw him at the live birthday bash. Recently in my life I have had to chuckle at the time when Dr. Julius Schnitzelbonker is in an outrage because Chris thinks the he got this new invention from the Dollar Mart. "The Dollar Mart! The Dollar Mart! I'm outraged. . . yes" If anyone out there remembers the full name that Dr. Julius gave to the can opener that would be great. It was something like electric tin can insizer with magnetic cap eliminator.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 39.64
Bank: 660.73
When talking about the Whit's End employee named Jimmy in "A Member of the Family," I was always (ever since reading the excerpt of the Guide awhile back) confused about the line "When we brought the show back to air on Odyssey USA, we replaced Jimmy with Connie." I kept taking that line literally, and thinking that they had edited out Jimmy and put Connie in instead... but Jimmy was in both the Family Portraits and Adventures in Odyssey versions of the show! And then I realized that it wasn't meant to be taken that literally. :anxious:

I love reading about the beginnings of the Blackgaard Saga in "Recollections"... back when there was no Blackgaard and no saga. I don't think I ever caught that Blackgaard owned the Webster Development Company until I read it as trivia at some point, and always wondered at his explanation that he tried to buy the shop early on, but "Whittaker and his wife stopped me." And also, the irony of Paul McCusker playing what he thought was a one-time character... especially with him not really liking the sound of his voice.

One of the coolest "new" facts about this chapter was learning that the "hello?" at the end of "The Tangled Web" really was Maggie Malooly! I'd always thought it was some random person, since it didn't sound like "definitely" her.

And I didn't know about the Chuck Bolte/Julius Schnitzelbonker connection until recently... I think.

I also liked the added backstory on "the trouble with Harley." It's a "trouble" I was very familiar with, but the quotes from Steve Harris fleshed it out a bit more.

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:25 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,697.71
Bank: 1,958.31
Light Blue wrote:
One of the coolest "new" facts about this chapter was learning that the "hello?" at the end of "The Tangled Web" really was Maggie Malooly! I'd always thought it was some random person, since it didn't sound like "definitely" her.

And I didn't know about the Chuck Bolte/Julius Schnitzelbonker connection until recently... I think.

Isn't it funny how we can be such big fans and still miss things? I think that I always knew that it was supposed to be Connie's mom at the end, since that made the most sense to me plus I think it sounds like her, but there are other things where I've had that "Oh, really?!" moment.

I know for a fact that I only recently knew that Chuck Bolte played Julius Schnitzelbonker, and I find it quite amusing! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
Radio Station
Radio Station

Cash: 43.77
Bank: 0.00
Page 74: When I first heard Paul McCusker speak as himself, I recognized the voice. My brother had to tell me who he was, and then I was like, "Uh... he's Philip Glossman?!" I don't think I would like to play him, either.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 am 
Why am I even here?

Cash: 97.88
Bank: 1.00
LizzieG wrote:
When talking about the Whit's End employee named Jimmy in "A Member of the Family," I was always (ever since reading the excerpt of the Guide awhile back) confused about the line "When we brought the show back to air on Odyssey USA, we replaced Jimmy with Connie." I kept taking that line literally, and thinking that they had edited out Jimmy and put Connie in instead... but Jimmy was in both the Family Portraits and Adventures in Odyssey versions of the show! And then I realized that it wasn't meant to be taken that literally.

I wonder why some "Adventures in Odyssey" versions of this episode still have Jimmy. The "Odyssey USA" version of this episode does have the lines re-recorded with Connie.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:38 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 39.64
Bank: 660.73
IForgotMyUserName wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
When talking about the Whit's End employee named Jimmy in "A Member of the Family," I was always (ever since reading the excerpt of the Guide awhile back) confused about the line "When we brought the show back to air on Odyssey USA, we replaced Jimmy with Connie." I kept taking that line literally, and thinking that they had edited out Jimmy and put Connie in instead... but Jimmy was in both the Family Portraits and Adventures in Odyssey versions of the show! And then I realized that it wasn't meant to be taken that literally.

I wonder why some "Adventures in Odyssey" versions of this episode still have Jimmy. The "Odyssey USA" version of this episode does have the lines re-recorded with Connie.

*is confused*

According to this, I thought that "A Member of the Family" wasn't realized as an Odyssey USA episode. :-k

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:18 pm 
Why am I even here?

LizzieG wrote:
*is confused*

According to this, I thought that "A Member of the Family" wasn't realized as an Odyssey USA episode. :-k

The episode wasn't included in the Odyssey USA album, but it was released on a single Odyssey USA cassette around the same time.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:10 pm 
Springer from Odyssey
misses "Spam-Happy Spammonger!"

IForgotMyUserName wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
*is confused*

The episode wasn't included in the Odyssey USA album, but it was released on a single Odyssey USA cassette around the same time.

DO you have the OUSA version of it?

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:03 am 
Why am I even here?

Irwin for Lord Blackbeard wrote:
DO you have the OUSA version of it?

Yes I do:

If anyone's interested in the Odyssey USA version of Member of the Family, here are a few clips from it including the openings and the short Connie section:
http://www.mediafire.com/?eaookwjityn

I haven't compared the whole episode with the one from The Adventure Begins, but it appears some music and dialog were changed elsewhere also -
compare the short bit after the Connie section with the version from The Adventure Begins.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:57 pm 
Springer from Odyssey

Oh wow, oh wow!!

Do you have other OUSA episodes?

This is SOOOO cool... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Where did you get:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
Why am I even here?

Do you have other OUSA episodes?

Well, I have the "Adventures in Odyssey" album along with a few more of the cassettes like this from OUSA.

Where did you get:

If you're wondering about the picture, that's one I took of the cassette a while back - I was initially taking pictures of each cassette after I transferred it to the computer. It was also a good way to keep track of the tape numbering on these early cassettes... Why is this cassette 12?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:20 am 
Springer from Odyssey

Quote:
Well, I have the "Adventures in Odyssey" album along with a few more of the cassettes like this from OUSA.

Were di you get the other OUSA tapes. I have th Adventures in Odyssey ALbum to. :)
Quote:
If you're wondering about the picture, that's one I took of the cassette a while back - I was initially taking pictures of each cassette after I transferred it to the computer. It was also a good way to keep track of the tape numbering on these early cassettes... Why is this cassette 12?

Cassette 12 :-s

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 am 
Why am I even here?

Were di you get the other OUSA tapes.

My family ordered most of the OUSA tapes directly from FOTF . A few others, including this one, I found on Ebay a few years back.

Offline Profile  

[ 14 posts ]