The 13 Books I Received For Christmas

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

The 13 Books I Received For Christmas

Post by Iron and Light »

Here are the names of the thirteen books I received for Christmas (and the authors). I'm really looking for opinions here- has anyone read the books, and if so, what did you think of them? I've already finished the first one, "Adam."

1. Adam - Ted Dekker
2. Comes A Horseman - Robert Liparulo
3. When the Day of Evil Comes - Melanie Wells
4. The Fire of Heaven Trilogy - Bill Myers
5. Abomination - Colleen Coble
6. Dark To Mortal Eyes - Eric Wilson
7. Demon - Tosca Lee
8. Waking Lazarus - T.L. Hines
9. Eli - Bill Myers
10. Auralia's Colors - Jeffrey Overstreet
11. The Mermaid In the Basement - Gilbert Morris
12. The Voice - Bill Myers
13. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm a few books behind on Dekker so I haven't read Adam yet, but you have so it doesn't matter. :noway:

I have a copy of Comes A Horseman. I saw something about it a few years ago and thought it sounded cool. So a few months back when I saw it in a bargain bin I picked it up. But I totally forget why I thought it sounded cool so I haven't looked at it since purchasing it. \:D/

I read the Fire of Heaven Trilogy. \:D/ It has been a few years, but it sticks to my mind the first one was a really interesting premise, but then I didn't like the other two as much. Though part of that (and I assume by the name Comes a Horseman would fit into the catagory as well) is that I think I got burnt out on end timesy things because of the endless Left Behind saga.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I've read Adam, Eli, and two of the three Fire of Heaven trilogy. I thought they were pretty good, I just recently discovered that Bill Myers even had any books in that genre.. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

The only one I picked out that I've read from that list was The Mermaid in the Basement, which I sorta liked. \:D/
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Read #13. NOW! :x

;)

But, to answer your question...I've read #1 and #13. Enjoyed them both greatly. *nods*
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

The 13! It's supposed to be twelve! :x Why? Because it's the Christmas number of course!
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

"Mere Christianity" is a solid classic. If you like it, I might suggest "The Screwtape Letters" as a follow-up (if you aren't well-read in Lewis already).

I received "The Shack" for Christmas so.... we'll see.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Mermaid in the Basement was very good. Of course I am biased because I am a huge Gilbert Morris fan. I've been reading him for many, many years. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

@Sherlock: I've already read The Screwtape Letters and completely and thoroughly enjoyed it- hence the request for Mere Christianity for Christmas.

@Ruthie: I loved Adam, too, and will be reading #13 soon. Hey, now you know what books I received for Christmas \:D/.

@JJJJ: I thought about that when I put the title in :-k. If I had had just one less book, I could have entitled my thread "The 12 Books of Christmas." Eh, I'd rather have the extra book.

@Top: I'm behind in Dekker, too :(. I haven't read any of his "The Lost Chronicles." But I'm attempting to catch myself back up, and Adam was better than some of Dekker's previous work *nods*. He's getting back to his old self, I think. He disappointed me with Saint.

@J-man: I've been reading Bill Myers for a while now. I read his Soul Tracker Series a while back and his Forbidden Doors series for teens a few years ago. I enjoy him.. although his first book in a series is best.. and he goes a bit downhill afterward, which is disappointing.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

I've never heard of any of those titles before, except Mere Christianity. But they sound so eerie and eccentric, I'll probably read one of them very soon.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Over The Rainbow wrote:I've never heard of any of those titles before, except Mere Christianity. But they sound so eerie and eccentric, I'll probably read one of them very soon.
Is that to say you enjoy reading the eerie and eccentric?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Iron and Light wrote: @Top: I'm behind in Dekker, too :(. I haven't read any of his "The Lost Chronicles." But I'm attempting to catch myself back up, and Adam was better than some of Dekker's previous work *nods*. He's getting back to his old self, I think. He disappointed me with Saint.
I was so disheartened by Saint I haven't read anything since... so you better be right! :x
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I read #13. Screwtape letters is great (and an easier read than most of Lewis's works).
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I've read and enjoyed the Fire of Heaven trilogy by Bill Myers.

I've read snippets of Mere Christianity; good thinking by Clive Staples, but the writing is very dense.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I wish I could have gotten "Adam" but my parents would never swing for a book THAT EXPENSIVE!

Wow.. my sister has read the Colleen Coble one before. She owns it.. I have yet to get myself into her books. I'm too busy with Twilight and the Circle Trilogy...

I got a few books for Christmas... I got a Ted Dekker one. "White". I have started Red, so, I can't wait to get to White. The whole trilogy is really good.

13 books is a lot. Congrates. :)