The phpBB3 poll

Runs until Saturday, June 6 (10 PM EST)

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Do you want the Town of Odyssey to be upgraded to phpBB3?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes, upgrade to phpBB3
94%
No, do not upgrade to phpBB3
6%

Total votes: 70

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Anna><> wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
Anna><> wrote:Change is communist. I'm anti-change!!!

But I still voted yes... how does that work?
But wouldn't a lack of change and difference mean Sameness and conformity? :shock: Conformity begets communism! :mad:

I love dystopian fiction.
There was this writing on the bathroom wall at school that says don't be a rebel. Rebelling is conformity, so if I rebel then I'd be communist too!!

I think that if the ToO becomes communist we should all have a big barbeque!
Then we should have had a BBQ last weekend. :noway:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Anna><> wrote:Rebelling is conformity, so if I rebel then I'd be communist too!!
This does not make sense. Define your uses of rebelling, conformity, and communist, please.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

KODY 105 wrote:
Anna><> wrote:Rebelling is conformity, so if I rebel then I'd be communist too!!
This does not make sense. Define your uses of rebelling, conformity, and communist, please.
They're not my definitions. They're the bathroom wall's definitions. Ask it.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
It’s my birthday

Post by jelly »

Wow, stunning results! THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE! \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

=D> This is all very good. Can NOT wait till it comes out!!
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I voted no but have since possibly changed my minds. when I voted, I was under the impression that everything here would be archived and we would not be able to continue the discussions we've been having. If that is not true and the transfer will not affect all our posts here then I'm all for it - otherwise it may take me a while to warm up to it - but i'll live. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

JesusFreak777 wrote:when I voted, I was under the impression that everything here would be archived and we would not be able to continue the discussions we've been having...
I'm pretty sure everything here will be archived. :anxious:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:when I voted, I was under the impression that everything here would be archived and we would not be able to continue the discussions we've been having...
I'm pretty sure everything here will be archived. :anxious:
Well, it could work either way. We may choose to have another boardwide vote perhaps? ;)
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I voted no but have since possibly changed my minds...
You have more than one mind?
Seariously though, that would be a real downer to have all of our current conversations locked up. I hope we don't just restart the town! *gasp* :anxious:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Or perhaps everything that has not been replied to in six months or longer ago could be archived and the rest kept open. I'm sure we can work this out. :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yeah, I would have voted no on this poll if I knew it was still planned to archive everything here. :anxious: That's what I really didn't like about the whole thing in EK and xiao's platform.
But then now, people keep saying it won't change anything but little things about the ToO, etc. etc. so I was under the impression the archive thing had been done away with. Archiving and starting over with a totally new board is what I would call a huge change - and one I would definitely not want. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Agreed--if that was the case I don't think anyone would've voted yes. Luckily, we get to keep our little town and it's threads, but it'll be better :D
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ben Linus wrote:Agreed--if that was the case I don't think anyone would've voted yes.
I don't know about that, Panda Bear was planning on doing it and they got plenty of votes. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Ben Linus wrote:Agreed--if that was the case I don't think anyone would've voted yes.
I don't know about that, Panda Bear was planning on doing it and they got plenty of votes. ;)
I don't think they planned on getting rid of all the threads; they just planned to do what we're doing now: Updating to phpBB3.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

They stated in their platform thread that they would be archiving the current board along with the update. :yes:
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

The fact is, the upgrade process to phpBB3 creates a new, empty board and then automatically imports all of the users, topics and posts from the phpBB2 database. That's the easy part, so there's no technical reason why we shouldn't keep everything available.

The real issue is with everything we have that's beyond the standard phpBB2 capabilities, i.e. subforums, money, jobs, items, etc. These features are available via modifications to phpBB3, but to my knowledge there is no automatic import functionality in existence for these features. That means those features will start from scratch (akin to the economy reset) unless someone creates a converter to bring the old information into the new board.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
It’s my birthday

Post by jelly »

Tim Peterson wrote:The fact is, the upgrade process to phpBB3 creates a new, empty board and then automatically imports all of the users, topics and posts from the phpBB2 database. That's the easy part, so there's no technical reason why we shouldn't keep everything available.

The real issue is with everything we have that's beyond the standard phpBB2 capabilities, i.e. subforums, money, jobs, items, etc. These features are available via modifications to phpBB3, but to my knowledge there is no automatic import functionality in existence for these features. That means those features will start from scratch (akin to the economy reset) unless someone creates a converter to bring the old information into the new board.
Subforums are not a standard phpBB2 capability? :-s
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

Jellyfish11 wrote:
Tim Peterson wrote:The fact is, the upgrade process to phpBB3 creates a new, empty board and then automatically imports all of the users, topics and posts from the phpBB2 database. That's the easy part, so there's no technical reason why we shouldn't keep everything available.

Subforums are not a standard phpBB2 capability? :-s
Nope
**crez go to sonuna
uz: MELF WILL YOU MARRY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!?!?!?
mirkwoodelf: I DONT KNOW I HAS OTHER PROPOSALSES.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Subforums on this current board are part of the Categories Hierarchy MOD that was applied. It's actually a huge MOD- almost a fork of phpBB really. I believe the subject description and topic icons are part of it as well.

Subforums are built into phpBB3. Because they were a MOD, the convertor may not place our old forums perfectly. They will be put in the correct place prior to the board reopening.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

A categories hierarchy to phpBB3 subforums convertor has been out for quite some time. (Not sure if it's still within version but changes can easily be made.)

As for Cash and Items i'm going to try to tackle making a converter myself, the tables are relatively similar (almost identical in the case of the shop mod) so it cannot be too hard...and if it is...i'll do it anyway! :x