Are you a re-reader?

Do you read books more than one time?

Yes! You can never read a good book too many times!
70%
Ugh, no, who wants to read a book TWICE?!
11%
I don't fit into either of those catergories. :noway:
19%

Total votes : 27

Are you a re-reader?

Postby Laura Ingalls » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:00 pm

I love to read books over and over, but I know other people (like my mom) can't stand to "waste time" rereading something. :(

So I bring this important issue to the ToO - how many of you reread books? \:D/
“Home is the nicest word there is.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Half Pint
Half Pint
Laura Ingalls

Happily married to Almanzo

Cash on hand: 425.12
Bank: 80.45

Postby Jugglah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Yes, I'm a big believer in re-reading. It's like seeing an old friend that's been away for a while. I'm known to check the same book out of the library six or seven times, and then finally give in and buy it. You know, C.S. Lewis said, "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once."
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
The Council must persist
Jugglah

is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Danielle Abigail Maxwell » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm re-reading books right now! I love re-reading, especially if the book was really good the first time around! It may take a while to re-read it again, because I honestly have a library in my room, but I will read it again, most possibly. :) I totally believe in re-reading!
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Danielle Abigail Maxwell

Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash on hand: 231.86
Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Fang-wa » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:34 pm

I reread pretty much everything I enjoy even slightly. \:D/ I've read several awesome books by G. A. Henty like 5 times over the last few years. :yes: (Great books, historical fiction, I totally recommend, btw)
Avian American
Avian American
Fang-wa

#DontTouchLola

Cash on hand: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby LizzieG » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Considering that all I've done this contest so far is re-read books, I would definitely call myself a re-reader. :p It's an especial treat to re-read books I know are wonderful, and in the case of some classics that I read when I was a bit younger, they are even better the second (or third!) time around. :inlove:
I love the \:D/ smiley
LizzieG

Honourary Canadian!

Cash on hand: 39.64
Bank: 660.73

Postby DanP740 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Seeing as I'm reading a series of 52 books I read before, then yes. :-
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver
DanP740

Cash on hand: 64.46
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Taq » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:05 pm

I wouldn't call myself a rereader, but I've done it a number of times, most recently with the Bible and Passages.
I post like Shadowpaw
Taq

Cash on hand: 45.68
Bank: 8.85

Postby GlennAdams » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I think I've read To Kill a Mockingbird every summer since the eighth grade... :-k
I do what I do.
The Council is GREAT!
GlennAdams

say waddup saints!?!

Cash on hand: 14.32
Bank: 65.49

Postby Catspaw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 pm

How fantastic! \:D/ I love to re-read books, and I can find it as hard to put down a good book that I've read four times as to put down a new book where I don't know what will happen. If the book is good, it can be even better the second time, because you have a familiarity with it and can fill in all those little missing pieces that you didn't notice the first time, plus you can anticipate favourite moments. Depending on the amount of time since I last read the book, I can forget quite a bit. I might remember the basics, but probably not all the details. Sigmund Brouwer is an author that managed to totally shock me with a plot twist...twice. ;) I read "Evening Star" (except I read it before they republished them with a few changes, if anybody else has read the Sam Keaton series) and was totally surprised at one point, and then a couple years later I read the book again, and I was still totally caught off guard by the same unveiling. I couldn't believe that he had totally fooled me more than once!

When we're talking about re-reading, do we all mean "I read the entire book again" or is it more like my sister's version of "I skim the book to get to the parts I like the best"? It drives me crazy that she doesn't read all of the book sometimes.
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 6,255.43
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby Jugglah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Catspaw wrote: Sigmund Brouwer is an author that managed to totally shock me with a plot twist...twice. ;) I read "Evening Star" (except I read it before they republished them with a few changes, if anybody else has read the Sam Keaton series) and was totally surprised at one point, and then a couple years later I read the book again, and I was still totally caught off guard by the same unveiling. I couldn't believe that he had totally fooled me more than once!

Ah, yes, it's been a while since I read that series, and I think I know just the plot twist you're talking about. ;) Sigmund Brouwer is a great writer. Maybe I should go re-read some of his books! :D
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
The Council must persist
Jugglah

is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Postby darcie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:08 pm

I don't mind rereading books, but it would usually be after a number of years. My husband, on the other hand, is a massive rereader. He reads the same things over and over and over again! To him it is comforting. I like to have enough time in between to be somewhat surprised again.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
darcietastical
darcietastical
darcie

Nothing to see here.

Cash on hand: 159.09

Postby Sherlock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm a re-reader but, like darcie, I like to wait until the finer details of the plot are a bit fuzzy before I pick up the book again. And, as I've saved most of the books I've obtained since high school (I was a HUGE sale rack book scavenger!), there's a decent amount of options sitting on the shelf. ;)
Solicitor Non Grata
Sherlock

"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Cash on hand: 602.58
Bank: 152.25

Postby Over the Rainbow » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

Some books I can read over and over again, like Jane Eyre, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Pride and Prejudice.

But usaully, I like reading it only once. I don't know why, but sometimes I hate reading a book over again. I'll never read To Kill A Mockingbird or Gone With The Wind again. It kinda ruins the first experience for me. Sounds weird, I know. :razz:

It's kinda like when I watched Titanic. It's in my top five favriotes, but I never want to watch it again because it will ruin that first time special feeling I guess.
Blissfully Oblivious
Over the Rainbow

Cash on hand: 26.30

Postby Pseudonym » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 pm

With a few exceptions for incredibly long epics where it's impossible to remember everything that happened or the Bible, I usually read books through only once. If it's been years and years and I don't even remember the story, I may go back and read it again if I thought it was good. Otherwise, I just see it as a waste of time. ;)
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused
Pseudonym

the people are the heroes

Postby Follower of Christ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I re-read books that I really enjoy. I've read some series multiple times and others only once. My oldest brother cannot understand why I re-read books; but I do it because I like details. I don't want to forget any of the details in a good book, so I read it again!
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.
Catspaw knows all
Follower of Christ

Postby JesusIsAlive » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm

I echo Darcie and Sherlock. I rarely reread books, but when I do, I prefer to be able to be somewhat surprised again by the events in the book. :p
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)
JesusIsAlive

grins bigly. Grins are contagious, you know! =D

Cash on hand: 137.50
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SivartM » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm

I love to reread books. :yes:
Hamster
Hamster
SivartM

is.

Cash on hand: 1.33
Bank: 179.28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Are you a re-reader?

Postby Sapphire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:17 am

Laura Ingalls wrote:I love to read books over and over, but I know other people (like my mom) can't stand to "waste time" rereading something. :(

So I bring this important issue to the ToO - how many of you reread books? \:D/

I do the same thing! My mom says it is a waste of time too.
A Beautiful Gem
Sapphire

"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash on hand: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00

Postby SoccerLOTR » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:06 am

Yep...I'm a rereader! If it's a good book, I don't have a problem rereading at all. It's funny...I used to check out books at my church library, which wasn't used a whole lot. You had to sign your name on a card that was in the book to check it out, and I'd get a book i'd read before and notice that my name was in the last 5 slots of the card...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
SoccerLOTR

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Cash on hand: 520.24
Bank: 2,352.96

Postby Catspaw » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:35 pm

:lol: Back when our church was smaller and my sister and I had more time to read, we used to have that happen too! Or there would be one person between our names or something. Good times.

Can this thread be a place for confessions? I stayed up way too late last night to finish reading a book that I've read several times before. :anxious:
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 6,255.43
Bank: 1,958.31

Next

Return to Summer Reading Contest