Manuscript 5: Draven's Defiance

*Spoilers*

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Please rate the book, Draven's Defiance.

5 Stars = Excellent
25%
4 Stars = Good to Great
75%
3 Stars = Okay
No votes
2 Stars = Below Average
No votes
1 Star = Wouldn't want to read again
No votes

Total votes: 4

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Manuscript 5: Draven's Defiance

Post by Laura Ingalls »

You guessed it - time for the fifth Passages book! \:D/

Draven's Defiance is the only one that was written in the first person, so it's a different experience as you're seeing everything from Scott's point of view. It's also different, as Scott is the only one to stay in Marus instead of returning to Odyssey, and he is actually a parallel to the Biblical character of Elisha. The introduction to the story is interesting - we find out that James Curtis, the Chronicler, is a patient at Hillingdale Haven. It makes Whit, Jack, and the reader pause...and wonder if Marus really is real or if it's just the imaginings of a senile man.
To me, the main theme of the book seemed to be trust in God. Both Scott and Draven had to learn that lesson, especially when Draven became afraid of Skalaw. He didn't know what the Unseen One was doing, and instead of trusting...he ran away. And Scott had to trust, even when he was told he would be staying in Marus, away from his home and parents.

Parallels:

People:
Draven = Elijah
Mobeck = Ahab
Skalaw = Jezebel
Wydrah and Cylindra = widow and her son
Ladan = Obadiah
Gwynn = Naboth

Events:
The stopping of time = the drought

Wydrah's home, garden, well, etc. being outside the stopping of time = the widow's oil and flour never running out for the length of the drought

The Unseen One through Draven bringing Cylindra back from the dead = the widow's son being brought back from the dead
Draven setting up a meeting with Mobeck through Ladan and arranging the showdown at the University of Hailsham = Elijah arranging a meeting with Ahab through Obadiah and commanding them to prepare for the showdown at Mount Carmel

The failed attempts by Mobeck's scientists and Skalaw's advisers to restart the hands of the clock, and then Draven destroying the clock first before praying to the Unseen One to restart the clock and time = the attempts by the priests of Baal etc. failing to make it rain, and then Elijah pouring water over the sacrifice before praying to God to consume the sacrifice etc.

Draven running away after Skalaw wants to kill him = Elijah running away after Jezebel wants to kill him

Mobeck getting Gwynn's property by the lies of witnesses against him = Ahab getting Naboth's vineyard because of false accusations against him

Draven showing Mobeck and Skalaw how they would die: Skalaw being eaten by vultures etc., and Mobeck pleading for mercy = Elijah telling Ahab and Jezebel their fate: Jezebel being eaten by dogs, and Ahab putting on sackcloth and ashes

Scott being told he was chosen to be the successor to Draven and going to tell his parents goodbye in a dream before returning to Marus to follow Draven = Elisha being chosen as Elijah's successor and going to say farewell to his parents and making a sacrifice before following Elijah

Anything more to add? \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that was a very comprehensive list of parallels, Laura! :D Thanks for laying all that out there! As I was reading, it took me a really long time to realize that Scott was basically Elisha. Close to the end, I was thinking, "But he has to go back home!" when I remembered that they said in the prologue that Scott was never found, and I realized that he really was staying and that he was a parallel of Elisha. Usually I pick up on these things faster, and I have read the book before, though my memories were quite vague.

As for names, I think that Draven's name came from "raven" - remember that the ravens fed Elijah for so many years during the drought? That's my best guess there.

I like how Paul McCusker makes every entry and exit different, like C.S. Lewis did in the Chronicles of Narnia. They aren't formulaic, where all the kids get in and out basically the same way or where they serve the same purpose in each book. They're all individual and stand out as unique and creative. I found it particularly interesting that on page 87 (under the old covers) Scott talks about the history book he was looking through that talks about the other kids who entered Marus, and there are references that are not existing books or AIO episodes. We never meet Emit, who sounds like Joshua perhaps ("Another child assisted Emit as he conquered parts of the land") or Chantall ("There was Chantall in the south, who battled with the Palatians" - too generic for me to want to guess who it is), or Marus, the namesake of (you guessed it ;) ) Marus, who sounds like Abraham to me ("A man called Marus was called by the Unseen One to establish a nation of true believers...he doubted the unseen one and did the opposite of what he'd been told to do when moving into the land" - page 85). Fendar is referred to, but he's book 6, so he's covered. ;) There are at least three other stories referred to in this section, and James confirms that there are more stories than he has been able to chronicle, or that he has received the details of. I'm curious if there were originally plans for more books or AIO episodes using these parallel characters that, sadly, have yet to be told. Of course, we always have the option of using our imaginations, but I would love to see Paul McCusker fill in the details at some point in the future. :D

Funny Star Wars reference on page 71! (At least that's the page number under the old covers.) I appreciated that. Skalaw, a.k.a. Jezebel, didn't seem to as much. ;)

I found the story of how Scott's parents waited a long time to have him, dedicated him to God, and always knew that he was designated for something special very close to a different Old Testament story. Hannah waited a long time for a son, and when Samuel was finally born, she dedicated him to the Lord and to do his work. I know that Scott represents Elisha in this story, but I think that there's a strong connection to this story as well.

The end of the epilogue is sad. It really makes me want to move on and find out how the story with Whit, Jack, and now James turns out! :D
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I know I'm probably spoiling the book for myself... *meh. I want to read it anyway*, but... how could the story have been written if Scott never came back? or... will the be addressed later? (or even in the book, which I need to get my grimy hands on!)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This is addressed in the book, Danielle, so as soon as you get to read it, things will make more sense! I don't want to explain it all and ruin the book for you, since it sounds like you definitely plan on reading it! :D
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I have ordered it... glad to know its addressed... I was wondering.. :) Thanks.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I liked this book. The stopping of time, the writing in first person, the widow and daughter...it's been awhile since I read it.

Again, there is a fresh view of Elijah, his stengths as well as his weaknesses, told in a new way so as to notice what you might otherwise overlook.

I had mixed feelings about Scott staying in Marus. I liked that he became a character (Elisha), but was sad that he had to leave his parents at such a young age.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Catspaw wrote:or Chantall ("There was Chantall in the south, who battled with the Palatians" - too generic for me to want to guess who it is),
Gideon, perhaps? He's the only one who comes to my mind right off the bat.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
Catspaw wrote:or Chantall ("There was Chantall in the south, who battled with the Palatians" - too generic for me to want to guess who it is),

-Kim
I'm being forgetful right now, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fletcher from "Passages" (now also called "Fletcher's Rebellion" - you know, the AIO ep where Timmy went to Marus) supposed to be Gideon? :-k I think that Fletcher is mentioned in that list, but I was only listing those that we don't know about from other books/episodes.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Catspaw wrote:

-Kim
I'm being forgetful right now, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fletcher from "Passages" (now also called "Fletcher's Rebellion" - you know, the AIO ep where Timmy went to Marus) supposed to be Gideon? :-k I think that Fletcher is mentioned in that list, but I was only listing those that we don't know about from other books/episodes.
Y'know, you're right. Okay, so scratch Gideon off that list. Chantall sounds a more feminine name now that I think it over...maybe Deborah? And the Palatians are supposed to be the Caananites?

-Kim
Last edited by Ingress Neverwhere on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Catspaw wrote:

-Kim
Y'know, you're right. Okay, so scratch Gideon off that list. Chantall sounds a more feminine name now that I think it over...maybe Deborah? And the Palatians are supposed to be the Caananites?

-Kim
Oh, that's a good thought! I had just assumed male, but you're very right that it doesn't have to be. Deborah does sound like a good possibility. I guess we still can't say for sure, but unless somebody proves otherwise, I will just assume that you are correct and be happy. ;)