Star Trek?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

*thread merged*

Do you like star trek? i'm a total trekkie. I like every kind of star trek out there except for voyager, and i haven't seen the movie yet... so.. yeah... do you like star trek?
Last edited by Candy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I've almost never seen anything Star Trek, except for parts of the old movies. I'll probably see the new movie when it comes out on DVD. :-k
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

LOL. I pretty much only like the new movie... >_>

STNG and some of the movies were okay, though.

After watching the new movie I tried to get into the original tv series, but wow, its really horrible. :(
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Ya, don't watch the original series. Watch DS9 or VOY, they are so so much better than anything on TOS even though TOS has some amazing stories, it's just so boring. :(
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

The bits I've seen of the original... there would be some really clever plots, but the execution was just really bad in lots of cases...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't seen any of the old stuff, but I saw the new movie with Chris Pine a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. :D The thought of William Shatner playing anybody appealing to the female population is very odd (and traumatizing) ;) to me, and I don't see myself getting into the older movies, but I would see this newer one again! \:D/ There were a few sketchy moments, but overall it was pretty good. I didn't know much going in, though I did know who Leonard Nimoy was, thanks to hearing characters on a TV show talk about him. :anxious: I'm sure I missed lots of little "in" jokes from the Star Trek universe, but it was quite enjoyable! \:D/ I like Chris Pine. O:) Obviously he was equally brilliant in Princess Diaries 2, the only reason that I knew who he was and didn't mind seeing another movie with him in it. :inlove:
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

The Top Crusader wrote:LOL. I pretty much only like the new movie... >_>

STNG and some of the movies were okay, though.

After watching the new movie I tried to get into the original tv series, but wow, its really horrible. :(
Is that because of the special effects? If so, I think you can watch it somewhere with the remastered effects. Cheesy effects begone! (I never minded the old effects, but they can be pretty horrible. :()
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Ya, don't watch the original series. Watch DS9 or VOY, they are so so much better than anything on TOS even though TOS has some amazing stories, it's just so boring. :(
While TOS may not be as well executed as DS9 and VOY, just remember, these were made in the sixties. Underneath the sometimes silly looking effects, makeup, costumes, and aliens, (and for that matter, William Shatner's acting) there are really good stories and characters. Also, without it, there would be no TNG, DS9, or VOY. Watch it first, with the old effects or the remastered effects. Just because it can be cheesy doesn't mean it can't be fun. \:D/ (Well, avoid the third season, unless you really really end up liking it. But the first and second seasons have some real gems. \:D/ ) And be sure to watch the movies too. But watch Star Trek II first. Save Star Trek the Motion Picture and Star Trek V till last. Not the best display of what Star Trek can be. :lol:
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

heh the only way TOS got to a third season is because of the fans. Shatner says that too is a few of the books he wrote. and I like all the Star Trek's out their except Enterprise (that one just dont fit in right with all the other ST's out their). and I haven't seen the movie but from what my dad says, it's a great sci fi movie but not a great ST movie.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

No way, it's the the effects... I assume I am the only person with the complete Godzilla collection here. ;) Maybe moreso the choreography? I dunno...
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

The Top Crusader wrote:No way, it's the the effects... I assume I am the only person with the complete Godzilla collection here. ;) Maybe moreso the choreography? I dunno...
oh, okay. hmm. (BTW, have you seen "Arena"? It's got a creature which looks a little bit like Godzilla. \:D/ )
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I liked the new movie...but I've never really seen anything else Star Trek-related. Of course, I like anything having to do with J.J. Abrams - he's a genius! \:D/
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Kairi wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Ya, don't watch the original series. Watch DS9 or VOY, they are so so much better than anything on TOS even though TOS has some amazing stories, it's just so boring. :(
While TOS may not be as well executed as DS9 and VOY, just remember, these were made in the sixties. Underneath the sometimes silly looking effects, makeup, costumes, and aliens, (and for that matter, William Shatner's acting) there are really good stories and characters. Also, without it, there would be no TNG, DS9, or VOY. Watch it first, with the old effects or the remastered effects. Just because it can be cheesy doesn't mean it can't be fun. \:D/ (Well, avoid the third season, unless you really really end up liking it. But the first and second seasons have some real gems. \:D/ ) And be sure to watch the movies too. But watch Star Trek II first. Save Star Trek the Motion Picture and Star Trek V till last. Not the best display of what Star Trek can be. :lol:
2,3, and 4 are the best original movies. All of the Next Gen movies with the possible exception of Generations (though it is a fine movie in it's own right) are really really good especially First Contact, my favorite of all the Trek movies including the new one.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I never got into Star Trek like I did Star Wars.

We own the movies with William Shatner, and I liked those pretty well... though pretty much the only one I still watch is The Voyage Home (IV). I remember some of The Search for Spock (III), but it's been years. There are so many movies/series, I can't keep track of them all. I believe we own the first season of the original Star Trek, but I haven't seen any of them. Happily, though, my fairly minimal exposure was enough for me to get a lot of the references in the new Star Trek movie, and know who all the main characters were and such. I did find the movie very enjoyable, though nothing to rival Star Wars or any of my other favorites. :noway:

Oh, and :highfive: to Catspaw for the comments on Chris Pine and Princess Diaries 2! I similarly enjoyed his presence in that movie, and thought of it when I found out he was starring in Star Trek. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

LizzieG wrote:I never got into Star Trek like I did Star Wars.

We own the movies with William Shatner, and I liked those pretty well... though pretty much the only one I still watch is The Voyage Home (IV). I remember some of The Search for Spock (III), but it's been years. There are so many movies/series, I can't keep track of them all. I believe we own the first season of the original Star Trek, but I haven't seen any of them. Happily, though, my fairly minimal exposure was enough for me to get a lot of the references in the new Star Trek movie, and know who all the main characters were and such. I did find the movie very enjoyable, though nothing to rival Star Wars or any of my other favorites. :noway:

Oh, and :highfive: to Catspaw for the comments on Chris Pine and Princess Diaries 2! I similarly enjoyed his presence in that movie, and thought of it when I found out he was starring in Star Trek. \:D/
:highfive: I totally agree about the movie not rivaling Star Wars in my affections, and it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one who associated the main character of Star Trek with a chick flick. ;) When I first saw the trailers, I suddenly was like, "Wait, I recognize that face! Sign me up!" \:D/ *swoons randomly, just for fun* :inlove: :thud:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Huzzah and Wooton for Star Trek! I have seen almost all the TOS episodes and the first four movies. I like the original characterizations of Lt. Cmdr. Spock and Capt. Kirk.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Spock's a Commander, not a Lt. Commander. \:D/
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Kairi wrote:Spock's a Commander, not a Lt. Commander. \:D/
if you wanna get technical he's also an Ambassador
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

So he was a full Commander? Maybe Scotty was the Lt. Cmdr. I know someone was. And Kirk was Admiral until he was demoted in STIV: TVH.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Ah, Star Trek. Boldly going where no TV show had gone before...awesomeness! :D

I've seen all the origenal episodes (most of them twice) the movies, and a couple new Generation episodes (I could never get into the newish stuff like I could the oldies) I consider the show to be pure genuis. True, the speical effects in the origenal series stunk to the max (I mean, who really thought that ship was real? Tacky!) but the script, actors, concept, and everything else: I consider to be amazing. I've also seen the new movie and fallen in love with it (I knew I would love it because of this simple equasion: JJ Abrams + Star Trek = *awesomeness* His reputation on LOST has yet to be beat) although I could've done without the Spock/Uhura icky thing, it was still great.

But yeah, Spock's a Commander, and a Ambassador (not during the origenal series, but later in life he became such).
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

KODY 105 wrote:So he was a full Commander? Maybe Scotty was the Lt. Cmdr. I know someone was. And Kirk was Admiral until he was demoted in STIV: TVH.
Scotty was an Lt. Commander, so was McCoy. Chekov was an Ensign, and Sulu and Uhura were Lieutenants. \:D/