The Official "Darien's Rise" Discussion Thread

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

How does one late, may I inquire? ;)

Huzzah and Wooton for Darien's Rise part 1! It is an interesting first episode, to say the least.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Andre is really Andre the Giant risen from the grave to have his revenge on us for Hogan bodyslamming him at Wrestlemania 3 and taking the role of Whit and sounding too hyper!!!!!!!! :x :x :x
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I have been holding out so today I got up early enough in order to hear the first show on the radio—something I haven't done in several years! When the AIO theme started up, I felt excited just like old times. :D It was the also first time hearing the new Whit. First show was a success and I look forward to hearing the rest! =D>
The Top Crusader wrote:taking the role of Whit and sounding too hyper!!!!!!!! :x :x :x
We've just gotten used to Paul Herlinger's style. I appreciate the effort he put into Whit but he was making me wonder when they were going to have a show celebrating Whit's 90th birthday (which would be accurate, but not what the show needs).

Andre sounded a little "giggly" at first but I think he's bringing back more of a Hal Smith feel, albeit with a voice that's not as similar as Paul's.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah after hearing the whole episode, he got better. But when he was talking to Jack I thought maybe Whit was on drugs or something. :noway:
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

I think that one of the main reasons they did this series, and the reason they have Whit narrating, is so that we can get used to hearing Andre, and associating him with Whit. I for one thought that he did very well, and although he changes the Whit personality a bit, it still seems like Whit to me.
COMING SOON: RANDOM ECONOMY TEXTBOOK QUOTES
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I got up today at 6:40-something and listened to the radio shows before AIO and listened to DR PI with my sister Natasha.I felt soooo good to hear something new from AIO.I'm slowly getting used to Andre's voice.My only complaint is that the episode was too short.There were too many commercials.I think it might have been too short because they had to make a 6 parter into a 9 parter.Can't wait for the next part!
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by greencardigan »

I absolutely loved it! I think part of it has to do with the fact that it's been so long since I heard something new from Odyssey, but I though it was amazing. I think the sound guys did an amazing job as always. I didn't read the books so I didn't know what to expect, and I loved it. Whit's narration was great. I think Andre got better as the episode went on. When I heard Jim Cummings I got chills down my spine. That's some more great casting by the Odyssey folks.
Who do I belong To? Not Earth, Not world, Not Evil, Not mortals, Not wretches, Not horrors

Who do I belong to? Unchanging. Unbreaking. Unfailing. Creator. Immortal. Eternal

Surrender to the sound.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

I also thought that Andre sounded a lot different (better) after that first scene. Maybe he does better with dramatic/narration-type scenes than when he is actually talking with people? Hopefully that first scene was just a one-time thing, due to it being his first time as Whit.

By the way, the new Whit is...
  • Only 23 years older than Jimmy Barclay.

10 years older than Wooton.

5 years older than Connie.

1 year older than Rodney Rathbone.

About 6 months older than Cryin' Bryan Dern.

About 3 1/2 months older than his son, Jason.

14 years younger than Eugene!

22 years younger than Bernard Walton.

34 years younger than Jack Allen.

36 years younger than Joanne Allen (or 30 years, according to some sources for Janet Waldo's age).
Jeremy
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Just heard the first episode online, and even though I've read Darien's Rise and own a copy of the book, my first thought at the end of was, "Aw, they're ending it there?". I think I may end up caving and buying the entire album before the story finishes on air.

Even though I heard the same scene on the podcast a few weeks ago it was still a little jarring hearing Andre's Whit in that opening scene with Jack, rather than Paul. But the more I heard him narrating the story the more used to it I got. I think Andre will really do well as John Avery Whittaker.
King Butter Turtle wrote:One thing that struck me as slightly odd, though, was Whit's narration style. It just seemed kind of weird for him to be reading it like he did with no one else in the room, especially the part where, I believe it's Kyle, finishes his sentence. But, I am glad they didn't have him be reading it to some one.
I didn't find it so odd, but then I'm apt to do the same thing myself when I'm reading. :p

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah Whit has been talking to himself since Family Portraits. \:D/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Well, at least the new Whit voice matches the illustrations...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Aside from the obvious elephant in the room, the new whit, I think this episode is very easy to just pass over without a second thought, nothing about it really grabs you and makes you interested in what's going on...hopefull they'll get better but the first episode was super bland to me. :anxious:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Jeremy wrote:36 years younger than Joanne Allen (or 30 years, according to some sources for Janet Waldo's age).[/list]
Hehe. It's not polite to discuss a lady's age. (Which one is it?)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am listening to it now! :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Bring back Hal Smith! :protest:
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Wow, that first scene was really confusing until I got used to Whit's voice. I couldn't tell the difference between their two voices hardly.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

The Top Crusader wrote:Bring back Hal Smith! :protest:
We'd have to find your sanity first. :-k
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Irwin wrote:
We'd have to find your sanity first. :-k
Haha, I think they should replace Andre, though. MJ sounds like a good choice. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

And Walker Edmiston! :x
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
And Walker Edmiston! :x
And Parley Baer! \:D/