565: "A Most Surprising Answer"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "A Most Surprising Answer"?

5 Stars - Too good to be true!
33%
4 Stars - The show felt just right
40%
3 Stars - Typical AIO
17%
2 Stars - Is everyone else crazy?
3%
1 Star - AIO has never sunk so low
7%

Total votes: 58

Shadowpaw
Town Founder

565: "A Most Surprising Answer"

Post by Shadowpaw »

Well two episodes down, one to go! Now that everyone has heard the second part, what did you all think? Post your reviews here!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

My mom was right about Eugene's memory! :lol: I think we all hope this issue will get resolved soon and that he'll suddenly remember everyone and have a joyful reunion. But we'll see. :-k
I'm positive now that Katrina is no longer voiced by Pamela Hayden. Why?
Well I have more thoughts but I'll have to post them later.
Keep up the good work AIO! :D

WAIT!! I totally forgot to include my favorite line of the show!
Eugene: "Howdy!" You'll know what I mean when you hear it! :D
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I am soooo glad that Eugene is finally back, for real, and I really hope he regains his memory soon. I definately think this ep will really make people want to keep listening, I know I can't wait to see what happens. Good job AIO.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Wow, wow . . . to those who had predicted Eugene's loss of memory, I applaud you. =D>

I certainly found it interested to see Eugene speak the way he did. While I have never spoken to one with amnesia, it sure sounded like he had it. When he cried out, "I want my life back!" it almost reminded me of something Tom (or was it Agnes? :-s) who said something similar during the Novacom Arc. Anyhow, I'm sure this was merely due to his memory lsos, but some of Eugene's lines seemed forced and out of character. Maybe it's just me. I am thankful, that Will Ryan, was back to play the part of Eugene. You could just hear the smile in Chris' voice as she said, "And Will Ryan as Eugene." :D It was almost a gesture to the fans who had waited so long for Will Ryan's return . . . "Yes, everyone, Will Ryan is back!" Temporarily, at the very least.

It was unfortunate AIO couldn't get Pamela Hayden back. I commend Audrey Wasilewski for stepping up and giving it a try, but it just isn't the same without the real actor who voiced Katrina those many years ago. I felt the same about her as I did Whit in "The Search for Whit." Although the voice was similar in several ways, it simply wasn't the one we all remembered. In a way, the combination of the "fake" Katrina and the amnesiac Eugene made for a somewhat bizarre episode. Almost as if everything was out of place in some shape or form. Yet, I will still give the episode 4 stars out of 5 because of its rather interesting storyline. There was a good touch of humor throughout the episode--certainly not the easiest thing to do considering the circumstances surrounding Eugene and Katrina.

I'm intrigued by this idea of converting Connie, Whit, Bernard and Tom's brainwaves into radiowaves . . . and then converting them back into brainwaves so Eugene's memory can be stimulated through the Imagination Station. It will definitely make for a most extraordinary conclusion, indeed. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
drwhit73
Gold Member

Post by drwhit73 »

I really loved this episode. It is great that Eugene is finally back. Very exciting episode. Can't wait to hear the last part of the series. A great episode over all, though I do wish that the same actress could have been used to play Katrina. Definitely 5 stars.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I liked the show, although I thought that it wasn't near long enough.
it was good to know more about what eugene was like and how he and Katrina have been doing. I didn't expect the memory loss being the result of expirementing on himself though.
I look foward to next weeks episode and hope that eugene does get his memory back, because it will make it feal more like the older Odysseys.
Padme Solo
Gold Member

Post by Padme Solo »

I loved it! But I do like the old Katrina, I mean the voice of her.
I also enjoyed 'Howdy', it was funny that he said something like 'I said this word often?'.
Fan Of AIO
Not as new

Post by Fan Of AIO »

I enjoyed this episode alot. I echoe what some have said, regarding the replacement who played Katrina. Does anyone know why Pam Haydon was not available?
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

The show was good, but as has been said lost something without the original Katrina. The scene with Connie and Katrina crying wasn't as poignant as it would've been with the original actors. I still feel as though the two men and a truck ep will be about Bernard and Eugene rekindling memories. I don't think they can wrap all of this up in three ep's.
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

That's why Katrina's voice sounded so different!

Quite the cliff hanger...
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

the ep was almost a little disappoitning after the excitement from last week. don't get me wrong i thought it was good, but it felt like something was all wrong....especially with Katrina's voice...it will take me awhile to get used to that. It didn't feel like anything really happened in this episode. i am looking forward to a most extraordianary conclusion, and hope it will be a little more exciting than this one.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

How could you not likeit when Chris said Voice talents of Will Ryan at the end :D
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I did like it when she said "Will Ryan as Eugene" I LIKED the episode! it was just a little bit of a letdown because last week's was so good. There was mystery and now the mystery's gone.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Flyah wrote: I still feel as though the two men and a truck ep will be about Bernard and Eugene rekindling memories. I don't think they can wrap all of this up in three ep's.
I very much highly dought that this will continue on past ep 3. Its a three-parter and I don't think it will be difficult at all for there to be enough time to so show how all of Eugene's memories come flooding back at the end of the last episode. I have a feeling we might not even hear anymore about Eugene for a few eps after these ones (or at least, he'll just be doing "normal" things that are un-related to his memory loss).

I agree with Trent DeWhite about how having both Eugene having anmesia and Katrina being voiced by a different actor added to the wierdness. I wonder if they'll ever get Pamala Hayden back. I
These eps are of course very contrived. Bernard even admits to that. At least this is still connected to Novacom and not just something out of the blue. Also, they did do something "big" when Whit was coming back too.
BTW It was very foolish of Whit to try the technology out on himself without telling anybody (though he might have told the Dr).
It must have been a challenge to write this episode, but I think, for the most part, it was done quite well. I think I'll save the rest of my judgements until part 3.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

You may be right!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I too can relate to Broadcast (from TH). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Good acting. Connie and Eugene (Will still knows how to play him) did great. Tom and Bernard's 'remaking' him was quite funny.

However...

The first scene of this ep (actually the first several scenes) and the last scene of last week's ep did not match up. After all that buildup and tremendous and exciting, dare I say breathtaking ending of last weeks ep, I expected the beginning of this ep to be just as tumultous. I expected the trio of curiousity, especially Connie, to be fighting Foster and Whit for information. I expected Whit to be firm and hesitant at telling them. I expected Foster to be reprimanded for his carelessness and the trio to be criticzied for digging around like they did.

My other complaint was how it ended. For me, that made next week's episode predictable. A bunch of turmoil ending happy.

My third big complaint was Katrina. Sure, the voice was similar, but that's it. The attitude and interaction with other characters just won't be the same, and that's a sad fact.

Again, I liked the episode, just had some complaints. Other things I liked were Connie's reaction at her and Eugene's first meeting. Not only was it really within her character, but it sounded real.

While it was good, I cannot give it 5/5 b/c of the reasons I stated above, so I'm giving it 4/5

-Jonathan
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I really enjoyed this episode as much as I did last week's. I am very bad at guessing what will happen next, so I had no clue what was wrong with Eugene, other than that he was obviously sick. It's so weird that he doesn't remember anything. I felt like crying with Connie and Katrina. Again, the scenes from next week's show sounded very promising! I can't wait to hear it!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

As a stand alone episode this was great. I loved how Tom and Bernard were taking advantage of his amnesia and telling him he was a down to earth kind of person who used simple words. I liked how they managed to get someone who was close to Katrina's voice.

As part of the series I think this may be the weaker of the three. However we'll have to wait until next week to make a final judgement on that.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'd agree to agree with you, dawningoftime, on your last point. Obviously, one must see what occurs in the third and final episode before one can make fair judgement, but I'm pretty confident the last episode will be the best of the three. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

I liked the episode but can only gave it 4/5 stars because I hate Katrinas new voice. My favorite part was when Bernard and Tom tried to remake Eugene. I hope they don't continue the memory thing after the next episode because that would be annoying.