655 The Inspiration Station 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What'd you think of the episode?

5 stars: Excellent!
14%
4 stars: Great start!
41%
3 stars: Fine. Good. Okay.
33%
2 stars: Disappointing.
6%
1 star: Poor.
6%

Total votes: 51

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:First off, I have to thank Regis for putting the episode up in this thread. When I clicked on the "Listen Online" link on the AIOWiki the most recent episode that was in FOTF's online player was "Sounds Like a Mystery". Go figure. *shrug*
The player is now updated. Someone at Focus needs to check their spelling. "Mystery" is spelled "Mistery?" :anxious: I could be wrong, but I think Focus is setting a bad example with that one.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I really enjoyed the first new episode in nearly two years! It had such a classic feeling to it, with Connie and Eugene bickering. I wouldn't say it's the greatest episode ever, but it had such a fresh, new feeling to it while still remaining true to form. I enjoyed the few references to past episodes. And it was great hearing the Parker family as well. I really like the mother. Her voice reminds me of Christy McKay (Grady's mom), which is a good thing. And the two younger kids, especially Matthew Parker sounded natural, and like normal kids. As for Olivia, I'm not super excited about her being voiced by an adult, but I'll get used to it. Definitely not a deal-breaker for me.

I also enjoyed, as others have pointed out, the dual nature of this episode and how mixed a slice-of-life lesson in with something a bit more serious. I can't wait to hear part 2, especially with fan submissions included! All in all, a great opener to what looks like an awesome season.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Laurie wrote: Someone at Focus needs to check their spelling. "Mystery" is spelled "Mistery?" :anxious: I could be wrong, but I think Focus is setting a bad example with that one.
I know. ](*,) My inner English major cringed, big time.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

The Top Crusader wrote:31899, relax or get off the internet or something, because you are being ridiculous.

Anyway, yeah, I was amused Connie and Eugene seemed to be fulltime back at Whit's End... which was a little odd since it seemed they had been going to effort over the years to have them "move on" somewhat. Which as real people that would be for the best, but as characters on a show there isn't really any reason to do that so I suppose there is no harm in them being back. And besides, it could just be for the introductory episodes here, and things will straighten out... although the impression we're getting is they've taken the show back to year 2 or 3 or so... so maybe things will just stay like this.

As for Andre, I'm really pleased... his initial recording when he was talking to Alan Young for Passages just wasn't good, I can't pretend that it was at all acceptable. ;) But now he is doing much better, and its like having the ONE TRUE ORIGINAL WHIT TO RULE THEM ALL back in the picture. Paul Herlinger was awesome but I'm glad we are picking up the warmth and emotion of Hal Smith again because it was really lacking and Whit's character just wasn't the same without it.

And I still think the Inspiration Station is just a marijuana simulator! Connie is hooked already! \:D/ Maybe "Whit's friend" is a drug dealer! \:D/
I thought this as well, but I don't think focus would go this far to disguise the topic. They'd do it with a throw away character, or something. Honestly they've done well enough with the dances they've done around the topic.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The Top Crusader wrote:31899, relax or get off the internet or something, because you are being ridiculous.
I am relaxed and I would appreciate if you did not insinuate otherwise. Also I do believe I am entitled to my own opinion.

Sorry. (I'm actually sorry you felt I was un-relaxed, I'll try to word things in a more relaxed manner.)

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's cool 31899, I was worried we were going to lose you to a heart attack or something. :(
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

655 The Inspiration Station 1
This episode skipped the opening music that FOTF had attempted to hype. What was the point of that exercise? Perhaps they think they need more time to soften up the audience. (I think they do-- about 50 more years.)

The new family seems fine, but one of the girls has a really strange voice. I'm not sure which girl it was, but she reminded me of Bethany Sheppard with the croup but without a cough.

As another user has already pointed out, are both Eugene and Connie back to full-time on the schedule? I thought Eugene had last been working with Manus Sursum and Connie was a counselor at (the now shut-down?) Timothy Center.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

I hate to actually agree with 31899 but....

Andre = Superb

Parkers = A little too perfect but promising

The Storyline : Stunk compared to what I've heard. Connie's obsession wasnt really that well...creepy. I was hoping for some Arthur Dent Muffin Line/An Intriguing Question Break-in style insanity. They just kind of downplayed it. While many of you like the "Going back to basic" approach, I HATE it. I don't want to go back to the 10 minute half shows from early AIO. The newer ones were much more exciting.

2/5 Stars , I hope the Second half REALLY wows me or I may start doubting this season's Awesomeness.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

...10 minute half shows? The split eps are definitely not considered early AIO, if that's what you're talking about. ;)

And I have no idea why or what the Parkers did for anyone to think they're perfect. :-k Honestly, when I read that, I was saying "Whaaaa....." to myself. Maybe I'm really really strange, but to have parents who care why their son is acting distant and different is actually rather normal. :- And the kids were upset at each other about the DVR recording thing, so it's not like the kids didn't bicker. They did in their very first scene.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

ok two things. First - last we heard, Hand Up has its offices in Whit's End, so it makes perfect sense for Eugene to be there all the time helping out/working when he isn't doing Hand Up stuff. Secondly, I'm going to quote my thoughts from the ep that I posted on the UAIOP blog here so you all can read it here too! :D
Sarah's Thoughts from UAIOP Blog wrote:Whoah - forgot about different Whit voice, but I think it works ok for me.

Who is Whit's friend? – no answer. Sad day.

When the computer shuts down, it strikes me as odd that Whit doesn't seem to know what’s going on - like his tech iq has dropped a bit...but at least Eugene is back to his intellectual self.

GOOF ALERT!!! They have too seen stuff like this in applesauce and in the Blackgaard's castle episodes.

It is definitely weird hearing stuff about all these electronic devices. This seems like such a slice of life episode from the early days and then BAM! you have headphones, cell phones, DVR, GPS, laptop, dvds lol!

lol – I love mom saying let dad handle things then jumping right in to take over. Typical mom - I love it! I think this family - least parents to kids have great chemistry. Gotta wait a little on the bro-sis stuff. Olivia reminds me of Sarah from the middle years. Matthew reminds me of a young Eugene. Dad is a mix of Dale Jacobs and George Barclay. Overall, I like the Parkers. The parents definitely remind me of the Barclays.

Connie reminds me of “Promises Promises” changing herself for the better - only it seems to be working this time. Ok I take that back - meltdown. Her addiction is also like Zachary when Jason made him walk (“Where is Thy Sting?”?... whoah great foreshadowing with Connie telling Whit about her pet peeves then they all happen.

Connie - Eugene banter. YAY! Whit is still kinda off for me but getting there. He still sounds too much like other actors (so far I've heard Bernard and Jack in Darien’s Rise. and Tom a little here). However, when Whit asks Eugene about changing the shop he totally sounded like Hal's Whit - awesome! I think this is going to work out fine. 

lol at Connie not being ready to talk about it. This happened in another episode that I can’t remember right now. Help?

Whit wanting to talk to Connie about her experience in the Inspiration Station hearkens back to Whit wanting to talk to Eugene about his trip in the imagination station in the Mortal Coil and following episodes... (Note – Eugene took the trip in MC and whit wanted to discus it with him in the episodes in On Earth as it is in Heaven.)

Uh oh - Connie sneaking in to Whit's End doesn't sound good.

Background music during closing reminds me a lot of the video theme.

Ok well that wraps up my play by play thoughts. I listened twice through, first just to listen and the second to take notes. I really enjoyed this episode. It was a total slice of life with a hint of mystery added in for fun. If this first episode is any indication of the rest of Album 51, then we are in store for some good stuff in my opinion. I love that I could listen to this twice in a row and it wasn’t boring.

I thought the acting was great and I LOVE the Parker family. The dad’s voice to me is a blend of Phil Lollar and Dave Arnold. Ok maybe I’m weird, but I’m ok with that. It works and it is a great dad voice. Mom is wonderful too. I think this family has more potential to be the new Barclay family than any we have had so far. Great chemistry between mom and dad and parents and kids. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not so sure the kids as siblings have that chemistry yet, but I think it will come and will be great. Let me hear a good fight or two and I’ll let you know. I hope the Parkers are around for a long time. Matthew reminds me of a young Eugene and because of that their interaction is great!

As for Andre – I think this is going to work out fine. It will take me a little getting used to still I think, but I’m excited for the day when he does become Whit for me. I don’t think it is too far off. 

Story so far is great, I’m excited to hear part two. Also, loved the sound design and score in this episode. It really reminded of the early days of AIO where there was little music and it was only there when needed. Not over the top or even noticeable. I heard it when I listened for it, but when I wasn’t, it just blended in. Maybe I have it all wrong, but to me that’s a good thing. It added to the show, instead of taking away from it. It wasn’t over the top, but just right.

So as of right now, I give this show 4/5 starts depending on how the rest of it plays out.

Great job AIO Team and Welcome Back!
Yay!
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

With all my talk about not being too excited for the return of AIO, I couldn't help but make time to listen.

This is the first time I have heard Andre as Whit, as I haven't gotten around to listening to the recent Passages series (a local bookstore here is selling that album, I just haven't felt like shelling out 20 bucks for it). I am not going to be pessimisstic about this, I've learned my lesson in the past. The AIO team has a great find in Andre, but I listen too closely for the differences not to be noticeable. This isn't bad, says nothing about Andre (myself, maybe), I'll just need time. That said, there were times--not many, but a few times where he sounded remarkably like Hal. Again, not often, but still, it was kinda fun to hear. Paul certainly grew on me over the years, but Andre brought a level of warmth I didn't hear in Paul.

Hearing Eugene was fantastic. Will Ryan jumped right back into that personality with remarkable ease. There is some inconsistency here though--since when and why is Eugene working at Whit's End? I suppose if AIO is attempting to make a "fresh start", ok, I understand, things'll be different. And considering the removable of nearly all previous characters and the question over what to do regarding Tom (and the Timothy Center, for that matter), perhaps this type of seemingly inconsistent change is inevitable. I understand that and can live with it. If there is an explanation given, cool. But if not, that's fine too. On another note, where's Katrina? Hopefully she will be making appearences in later episodes.

Changing trains of thought here, kinda, some have said the Parker family seems "perfect". Really? Did no one else here the bickering in the first scene? The "they won't know where to find your body" line? They didn't come across as perfect to me, and if folks want a good example of what that would have sounded like I suggest listening to ep 243 (I think that's the number), Family Values in album 18. Specifically pay attention to the Johnson family.

They've got potential, that's for sure.

There is a question I had regarding the story at the end. What exactly is the purpose of the Inspiration Station? To relax people? To make Connie not Connie (I liked the conversation she and Whit had while agitated)? Was this invention really a good idea? I'm sure these questions will be worked out in part 2 when Whit inevitably straightens things out with Connie.

Several other things I really liked:

The Eugene voice on the security code pad. Something he'd do, that's for sure. I really wish my pad at work sounded like that, all I get is a weird beeping if I don't shut it off quick enough letting me know it won't be long before the alarm sounds and I go deaf (I haven't heard it yet, but I've been told it's insanely loud).

The pace and feel of the episode. I'd venture to say we haven't heard such a great pace since 1996. 1997 and 1998 were both close, we completely lost it during the split era, and we had it intermittently in the decade following. Granted, this was written by Paul McCusker, a man who know the feel of the early years better than anyone currently associated with the show, so this was to be expected. But I really hope it continues.

Someone else in this thread--can't remember who--said it was nice to hear an episode with longer scenes and music that wasn't overbearing (hear hear!, and hear!). I would add to that realistic, believable, driving dialogue. It was really appreciated by this listener.

Just a few more thoughts to round up my review: First off, I'm genuinely looking forward to part 2. And it's nice to have actually written a review again, it's been far too long since I've written a long, in-depth one (something like four years), and I want to continue. This was fun.

And lastly, AIO, despite the fact that I'm not as big a fan as I was pre-hiatus, it sure is good to have you back.

edit--JF, in what episode was it said Hands Up had its offices in Whit's End? I forgot that fact.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I can't remember either, and sadly I don't have access to my AIO collection right now as my laptop is in the hospital for repairs. (;)) It was when Whit and Eugene explained what Hand up was going to be. Eugene explains, Whit translates and then says something like "and it will be headquartered right here at Whit's End. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I can't remember either, and sadly I don't have access to my AIO collection right now as my laptop is in the hospital for repairs. (;)) It was when Whit and Eugene explained what Hand up was going to be. Eugene explains, Whit translates and then says something like "and it will be headquartered right here at Whit's End. :)

Could it be #577: The Business of Busyness?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Initial Thoughts
It's... okay. I was kind of confused by the Parkers because I have no idea who they are and how many of them there are. I should probably look them up on AIOWiki. ;) Connie is weird. Eugene is cool. The small bickering betwixt the two brought back good memories. Andre sounds really good, actually, but there were a couple times I got the feeling his voice sounded a little forced. As others have mentioned, the pacing and minimalistic music really made it feel like classic AIO. I was pretty surprised by that, honestly; I thought it would be all FUTURISTIC WHIT'S END -- BLAM SCENE CHANGE -- CONNIE IS A ROCK STAR -- BLAM -- WHIT IS DYEING HIS HAIR -- BLAM -- WOW THIS NEW ODYSSEY IS SO HIP AND COOL AND APPEALS TO TODAY'S KIDS. But it was laid back and relaxed. I was impressed by that.

The Parkers
I really liked the father, although I'm not certain why. Apart from that, I have no idea what is going on. There's like a forty-year-old kid, a tomboy girl, and a geek who sounds like his tomboy sister. I was pretty confused. I think they had a podcast explaining all about them, but I must've missed it. I'll really have to learn more about them. They weren't anything particularly new, just... some regular family. I guess that's not bad. ;) I wasn't terribly impressed, but I haven't heard much of them so I'll hold off on the final word.

Plot
Obviously, they're being deliberately ambiguous as to what this PHENOMENAL "Inspiration Station" thing is to presumably get people EXCITED. :shock: But it ended up making Connie sound like a nut. :( She would ramble on and on about the greatness of this machine, and as soon as Whit asked her a question, she'd be like, "NO. I am not ready to announce the official state of my relationship with that machine." The whole thing seemed weird. I assume this will end up being some message on moderation or addiction, and to their credit, it's difficult to give that message without getting into some touchy subject material. It reminded me of the Twilife Zone episode with everyone getting addicted to that toy chicken, except this time it's trying to be serious. :-s

What I Liked
The Parker father, whatever his name is. Eugene. The geek Parker whose name I keep forgetting could end up becoming pretty cool. Less focus on huge musical intermissions between scenes. Good pacing. Andre is better than when I heard him on the Passages preview on the podcast.

What I Didn't Like
Older people trying to sound like kids. I wish every kid show in the world would stop doing this; it's just awkward. Why in the world would they hire a 38-year-old to voice an 11-year-old? Good voice actors might be hard to come by, but I really think this wasn't a good idea. I hope she goes off to a boarding school or summer camp for the rest of the season or something. :noway: I thought it was weird that Geek Parker (Matthew?) was going around haxing Whit's End. I can totally understand his trying to help his family's equipment, but messing around in Whit's End seems weird if he was really just trying to help. How old is he? Maybe he's a nine-year-old technical genius who doesn't quite understand that he shouldn't be messing with a business's equipment. Connie's obsession with this machine is creepy. She's going crazy over some blissful machine that does... something? The Parker family could become okay, but I'm getting confused with their voices. Something I've always liked with AIO is the distinct and usually natural voices, as opposed to DGL or Jonathan Park where I can't tell who is speaking to whom because they all sound the same. I'll learn with time, I suppose.

Other Thoughts
Keep up the olde school and less weird hippie Connie obsessed with the drug simulator thing. Moar Eugene-Connie banter, as long as it's good! Moar Parker family exposition (not a complaint, since it's only the first episode; I'm sure they're planning to flesh them out more later)! Moar Dad Parker! Less 38-year-old 11-year-olds!

I can't help but think this isn't the best way to start the season after a two-year hiatus. On one hand, there's a goodly amount of "slice-of-life" and all that, but I wish they had started perhaps with a Parker family episode to get us better acquainted with them instead of "HERE ARE A FAMILY. THEY HAVE A GEEK SON. GO!" Plus, in case you didn't understand this part, I REALLY did not like weird Connie.

It's better than I expected, but I was expecting some pretty bad stuff. ;) We'll see where it goes from here. I don't want to be too harsh since it's the first episode. \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

With the whole Eugene working at Whit's End thing, I think it's important to keep the fresh start in mind. Paul McCusker said in one of the podcasts, something along the lines of, "we're looking at season 51 as a way to re-start the series but, this time with the knowledge that we've gained from our experience." Most of their decisions turned out to be good ones (Connie, Eugene, Wooton, etc.) but, others turned out to be not so good. (Eugene not working at Whits End, The Timothy Center, etc.) They're using the 'relaunch' as a way to make all those changes without having to do a whole bunch of episodes where Hand Up goes bankrupt and the Timothy Center burns down, etc. Yes, Eugene was not working at Whit's End in album 50 but, that's no reason to assume he isn't now. There's two years worth of events in Odyssey that went undocumented. A big part of this is trying to gain new listeners so, the episodes are written with them in mind and us long-term fans must set aside everything we thought we knew about Odyssey (everything that's been established in the past) and pretend that we just happened upon this radio show that happens to have some characters and locations that we're familiar with. It's almost like the writers are reserving the right to not mention any of the major changes that may have happened in Odyssey over the last two years. Because, if they did have to address everything (Tom Riley's Death, The Washingtons Moving, etc.) it would be a huge mess so, instead they're asking us older fans to not listen to album 51 with the assumption that everything is the same.
Jonathan wrote:Changing trains of thought here, kinda, some have said the Parker family seems "perfect". Really? Did no one else here the bickering in the first scene? The "they won't know where to find your body" line? They didn't come across as perfect to me, and if folks want a good example of what that would have sounded like I suggest listening to ep 243 (I think that's the number), Family Values in album 18. Specifically pay attention to the Johnson family.
'Perfect' wasn't the best choice of words. (er... word :anxious: ) What I really meant was 'cheesy'. Yes, they bickered a little but, it sounded so fake. Also, did you notice the spontaneity of their little 'family meeting'?
Pseudonym wrote:But it ended up making Connie sound like a nut. :( She would ramble on and on about the greatness of this machine, and as soon as Whit asked her a question, she'd be like, "NO. I am not ready to announce the official state of my relationship with that machine."
Dude, that is so Connie!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

King Butter Turtle wrote:There's two years worth of events in Odyssey that went undocumented.
That is amazing! It's so hard to believe....especially since Connie, then was in the inspiration station for a whole 2 years! Whit was really right when he said that she'd been in there for a while! :)

Sorry. . . but I tend to agree with the "Eugene is not working at Whit's End" people. I mean in plenty of shows he has been around Whit's End helping out. He just doesn't work for Whit. In the Business of Busyness Connie says that she should get paid to be Eugene's secretary because all the mail that comes to Whit's End is for him! And she clearly says in the Candid Conversation that the Hand Up location would be right in Whit's End. So I see no reason that Eugene has to be working there.

BTW I really liked the show...it was a good start and I think that I'll come to love Andre... as long as he tames his almost Eastern accent.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:We THOUGHT everything was setup for the new episode, but apparently something went wrong. We’ll have to get any problems worked out for next week. I was so disappointed that there were problems on our first episode back.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Regis Blackbeard wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:We THOUGHT everything was setup for the new episode, but apparently something went wrong. We’ll have to get any problems worked out for next week. I was so disappointed that there were problems on our first episode back.
Context, please.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

That was just Nathans response to the fact that there were Whit's End player issues.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Officer David Harley
Classic

Post by Officer David Harley »

I am in agreement with 31899 on this one, Whit doesn't sound like Whit, if I didn't know it was Whit I'd probably be like "who talking?" Eugine sounded as he did when he first came to AIO, and whats with the teen having a cell phone? Its Odyssey, teens don't have cell phones unless your rich or you dad gets them for free. the fight wasn't even close to a real fight, and how many of your parents tell you that their concerned for you and talk to you like that? Connie sounds like she's addicted to the Inspiration Station witch makes it sound like shes doing drugs. I did not like it, I thought they knew how to make a realistic family but I guess I was wrong. This is just my opinion but truth be told I don't like where they are going with this new season.

Officer David Harley