661: When You’re Right, You’re Right

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of the episode?

5 stars: Gotta have it!
12%
4 stars: Love it!
16%
3 stars: Like it
52%
2 stars: Didn't like it
20%
1 star: Really didn't like it
No votes

Total votes: 25

Bren
Be positive!

661: When You’re Right, You’re Right

Post by Bren »

So episode 661, When You’re Right, You’re Right, is up!

Last edited by Bren on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Listening right now!
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Woohoo! Will listen shortly. Thanks Regis!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Is it really "Your Right" and not "You're Right", like the AIOwiki says?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I fixed it
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Initial thoughts (without reading anyone else's comments):
  • Mr. Jones has an enjoyable voice; I could see him being the 'next' Mr. Barclay
  • Yay for audio editing! \:D/
  • Not at all a fan of the sensual "happy birthday baby" part :noway:
  • All these kid characters talking to each other are confusing...
  • No subplots? Okay...
  • Wow, maybe I was just doing other things, but that seemed super-short.
I wasn't too impressed with this episode. 2/5 or 3/5.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

A very good lesson, but nothing spectacular. 3/5
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

Barret is now my favorite character for like ever! I Loved the episode it was hilarious but I'm really starting to bear a grudge against Emily Parker and her um...(How should I put this...) Gender-ist ways.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

American Eagle wrote:
  • Not at all a fan of the sensual
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that. I'm sure it went well over the heads of most children listening, but still, it was a but unsettling for AIO.

But yeah, I feel more or less like everyone else. Although I was pleasantly surprised the one kid was decent enough to switch things back.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I listened to this one half expecting Barret to get on my nerves like he did in his first appearance, but he didn't, which was good. I'd probably give this one a 3/5. I may have more thoughts later after hearing it a few more times.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that Matthew Parker has been in every single episode so far this season? I'm kinda starting to get tired of him.
Last edited by EMBEE on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I was just going to say, not necessarily just Matthew but the Parker family in general. I totally see that they are introducing a new family and need to be heavy on their appearances, but they are all over every episode... they are cool but I GROW WEARY OF THEIR PRESENCE! :x ;)

I know this is a "reboot" and they want more taste of life feel, but I'd like at least one adult-centric episode featuring the crew of Whit's End with no kids running around. :noway: Well, okay, so Whit would go out of business, the kids can run around and we can hear the looped track of kid chatter with one of them going "Wooooo!" (or have they got rid of that track finally?), but the kids don't have to be FEATURED CHARACTERS. ;)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I'm having fun doing my reviews the lazy man's way. Obviously these ratings will all change once I listen to these again:

But if...

Inspiration Station 1+2: B+
Target of the Week: B+
Clutter: B
Game for a Mystery: D-
For the Birds: C+

This episode might be a B-...

Another Subpar episode, I would say. I'm just a little confused by the, as Top says, "A Reboot"...

I mean, I never really enjoyed the earliest days of Odyssey too much--at least not the first few albums. They were good--and I like them for nostalgia reasons-- but it just feels like they're trying going back to those times. The only difference is that the characters now are recurring a lot more often. Back then, I felt like the recurring kid characters didn't really appear until album 5; a lot of the earliest kid characters had a life span of like 3 episodes.

The problem was that they would be episodes like the ones airing now where the"stakes" weren't high--that's the trouble I'm seeing with the season far. Even a more "dramatic" episode like the "Inspiration Station", the stakes aren't going very high these days. These "Slice of Life Episodes" are about really the lowest activities--and aren't really "adventures" as the title suggests--"clutter", "wanting your brother to feel good and switching a happy birthday card", "finding out what happened to a video game a bird took it", and the episode "For the birds" was so uneventful that I can't even remember what the main storyline was.

And so, I know that's the very definition of "slice of life"--the everyday, the ordinary--but we listen to this stuff so we can have predicaments that are slightly higher stakes than what we have today. I liked "Target of the Week", because the stakes were higher..they dealt with "everyday ordinary issues", but in an interesting suspenseful way. Who really has their ear glued to the radio hearing of some of this stuff? Sometimes I don't mind it, and I think it is good for a family show to have these typical issues that we can relate to and think "hey--that's like us". But I think for "entertainment", it's not doing as well as it could be. These episodes are really on the 8 year old side of "8 to 12".

And I think I lot of it has to do with the fact that it is very kid-focused. And no, I don't mind that. After all, I'm sure I'll learn to grow used to a lot of the kids. The problem is, it's not feeling like Odyssey. It's not a good "transition" for a lot of us fans. To wipe out almost so many existing character at the same time, and, by focusing entirely on these new kids so much is a problem. Why? Because once all their voices change, they'll get kicked off the show. We need to have grownup characters we can relate to because they usually stick around for 20 years whereas kids stick around for 5...And let's admit it, the best episodes I always found as a kid were the adult ones--where Bernard, Tom, Whit, Jack all were trying to figure out a problem---"Tom For Mayor", "A question of Tasha", "The Other Woman", "An Extraordinary Conclusion". And sure, their are plenty of simply kids shows too, "Another Man's Shoes", "Gloobers", "Snow Day"...and many more.

Odyssey needs a balance.

I mean, remember Album 50, when the show asked themselves, "Is Odyssey stuck in the past"? Well..let's think about it. Eugene is back at Whit's End working like the past 20 years have never happened. They fired both Aubrey and Nick Mulligan. Connie never seems to go to College is continue in her ambitions that she's been dealing with forever. Eugene doesn't even seem to be married at all! No mention of Whit's End Connelsville. It's like everything that Odyssey has "progressed" in doing, Odyssey likes to just keep going back to how things were because they are comfortable in. So yes, they are stuck in the past--it only results now is familiar situations. And sure, I don't mind it too much. But let's at least acknowledge that changes HAVE occurred in the past 20 years. Get Eugene out of working at Whit's End, already--switch things up...Have Connie go into teaching and have us learn about how she deals with a classroom. And sure, we might think--well "Eugene wouldn't be Eugene if he had a kid", or "connie wouldn't be Connie if she went off and tough at school"--well the truth is that "Odyssey isn't Odyssey when we wipe out 2/3rds of its characters.

I know the writers are trying to appeal to a new generation of fans. But are they really going to be confused by having some guy named Nick working at Whit's End? Or that a guy named Ed Washington makes visits? Or that their used to be a kid named Jimmy Barclay that used to be around, and makes a monthly visit to Whit's End? Or making it clear that Eugene is married and that he probably shouldn't be flirting with Connie?

I'm not complaining. Don't get me wrong. It's only half way through the season! Plenty more could happen. These are just my concerns--Odyssey needs to acknowledge the past in the way it makes it easy to listen to for the "new listeners".

As for the episode--it kept my attention, at least. The "Chilli" dialogue at the beginning of the episode when on for way too long, however. That's my sole complaint really. It almost deserves a "B"...and I might give it that if I listen to it again--but the whole theme didn't really seem to fit into the story too. Regardless, I chuckled at the "new recording" that was made for the birthday card.
Last edited by Bennett on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

EMBEE wrote: BTW, has anyone else noticed that Matthew Parker has been in every single episode so far this season? I'm kinda starting to get tired of him.
Yeah... I noticed this before we got the chance to even listen to the Inspiration Station. No offense to those of you who like the Parkers, but there overwhelming presence turned me... off. But, yes, the Parkers have been in all episodes till now... and will be till the last episode... They really didn't hit us this hard with the Washington's or the Straussberg's, or the Shepherd's... *shrug* well, Odyssey is changing.

I haven't listened...
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

My rating was 2/5, this episode disappointed me. Here is why...
The Story: The Chili part was too long and a little boring. The part with Barret was to me weird. Do we know how old Barret is? it was weird to me that the relationship was encouraged. It seems they were a little young for that. I agree the Emily version of the card was too much. Overall the story was kind of disappointing.

The Characters: I was pleased that with Barret much more in this episode, he was pretty good! Emily sounds so much like Olivia, if the get in the same episode together I am going to have a hard time telling the two apart. Mathew was good but they have been using him a little too much. Mr Parker was a pleasant surprise for me! in Game For a Mystery he really irritated me, he didn't in this episode.

Quality: The episode was very slow and had way to much music. I noticed they had a new composer, did they get rid of John Camble? The music didn't seem like Odyssey either. I was disappointed.

I want to think that it will get better, Odyssey has had some bad albums and they will probably get through this. This episode however was only a 2/5 for me.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Joanne wrote: Do we know how old Barret is?
He's one year older than Emily.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I guess I'm in the minority this time. I actually enjoyed this episode. It was fun, silly, and incredibly light-hearted. The chili part reminded me of when previous Odyssey dads would goof up (like Mr. Washington being too silly or George Barclay getting lost while on family vacations). It actually made me hungry for some chilli! :lol: And I liked the Barret/Emily plot as well. I could certainly relate to Emily trying to help her brother and failing. So the lesson hit home for me. I thought the whole card part was pretty funny, and although I was surprised at Odyssey for discussing that sort of relationship, it didn't detract from the episode as a whole. I can see why others didn't like it that much, but for me, it was pretty good. I give it 4 stars.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Peachey Keen wrote:
Joanne wrote: Do we know how old Barret is?
He's one year older than Emily.
And how old is Emily? I guess I don't know much about them... :)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Well, I'm in your minority too, H Tide, I guess. I actually liked this episode enough to give it 5 stars, the first of this new season. The story was good, the remixed song funny, the encounter with the bully funny, and.... I liked it for once. Although Emily's voice (and Priscilla's) sound a little too fake for me...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I didn't like this episode very much. It had no climax! It was sort of everything works out well and everyone goes on their way. Where was the drama, the angst, the thrill of Mr. Parker's chili? Okay, it had that part, but that's it. ;)

Agreeing with DanP740, I dislike Emily's voice. Is she played by an actual child, or an adult, like Olivia? I also didn't like Priscilla's at all.

I was kind of surprised at Odyssey for doing an episode related to 11 year old relationships. I mean, it's starting to sound like the DIsney channel with the crushes, boyfriends and girlfriends and the like. In that respect, I wasn't really pleased with that. I think it's fine if he likes her, but it's not Emily's place to encourage it.

Also, I did NOT like Jay, the other new bully. I guess you could compare Jay to Rodney and Vance King to Rusty, in that Jay's the whinier, more annoying of the two. Also, he's played by a 40 year old man that looks nothing like how his voice sounds. ;)

One thing I did like was the card, and that's what brings this episode up to a solid 2 stars.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I thought Barret was Emily's younger brother! That was scary, I thought AIO was encouraging 9-year-old boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. Although... Barret isn't much more than that, he's about 12/13 right?

What's with that?!

I didn't like the music at ALL! Totally not Odyssey. And totally overused too.

But both the cards were funny. :lol:

So, I need to warm to this episode some more. 2.5/5 stars