668: The Mystery of the Clocktower, Part 2

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "The Mystery of the Clocktower, Part 2"?

Five - Fantastic!
41%
Four - Awesome!
38%
Three - Good!
18%
Two - Decent.
No votes
One - Horrible!
3%

Total votes: 34

Bren
Be positive!

668: The Mystery of the Clocktower, Part 2

Post by Bren »

Here it is guys. Your conclusion.

ImageImageImage
logos linked
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I thought it was a good start, like the previous album, but the story didn't go in the direction I thought it would. I was hoping it was something more to do with Whit as a previous 'clock tower episode' was alluded to earlier in the series. Don't remember which episode, it's a fleeting line and if you're not paying attention, you miss it. Anyway, I was hoping the series would go back and pick up that thread and make it more of an intrigue tale rather than unrequited love. Not a bad episode, just not awesome or fantastic.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian brothers and sisters. It's Swedish thanksgiving tomorrow.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Ahhhh! :mad: I can't listen to it 'till tonight 'cause I'm busy all day. :(

Oh well... ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

HA HA!!!!!!!!!! Just as I suspected... I'm not kidding. I THOUGHT it was the janitor!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: BWA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ok, nice episode.
Pros:It was a good plot. Pretty unpredictable. I still don't think there was too much of a lesson, but the lesson that was there was good. (Every decision matters and your sin will always find you out.) I like how it seems James and Alicia's sister get back together.

Cons: Um, the janitor was a bit predictable, but, you know.... There wasn't much suspense. The plot wasn't too interesting. Um....a bank robbery? I was kinda hoping for something bigger. It's kind of unbelievable (notice I didn't say unrealistic) that Andrew would go to all the trouble of getting the flower, and placing the wedding veil and all that stuff, just for a diversion. I'm sure the clock counting down was enough.
jennifertwt wrote:I was hoping it was something more to do with Whit as a previous 'clock tower episode' was alluded to earlier in the series.
Ah, yes, I was hoping that as well.

Overall: It was a good episode. Not as good as it could have been, but good.

7.5/10

EDITED: After further listening, I upped my rating by 1/2 a point
Last edited by ric on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

jennifertwt wrote:I was hoping it was something more to do with Whit as a previous 'clock tower episode' was alluded to earlier in the series. Don't remember which episode, it's a fleeting line and if you're not paying attention, you miss it.
Are you referring to I Slap Floor, perhaps? Whit mentions (basically) the strataflyer from the video series (although, he never actually calls it that) and when someone teases him for it, he says, "Oh, yeah? well, you'll all be sorry next time someone falls off a clock tower".
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
jennifertwt wrote:I was hoping it was something more to do with Whit as a previous 'clock tower episode' was alluded to earlier in the series. Don't remember which episode, it's a fleeting line and if you're not paying attention, you miss it.
Are you referring to I Slap Floor, perhaps? Whit mentions (basically) the strataflyer from the video series (although, he never actually calls it that) and when someone teases him for it, he says, "Oh, yeah? well, you'll all be sorry next time someone falls off a clock tower".
No, I believe she's referring to 'The Inspiration Station' when Mortimer tells Matthew about an incident where Mr. Whitaker made the clock run backwards on accident.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Anyone have the link so I can listen on my iPhone??
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Are you referring to I Slap Floor, perhaps? Whit mentions (basically) the strataflyer from the video series (although, he never actually calls it that) and when someone teases him for it, he says, "Oh, yeah? well, you'll all be sorry next time someone falls off a clock tower".
No, it was something I heard recently, but no telling where. I do not always listen to the episodes in order, just sort of what suits my fancy at the time. It was a fleeting reference to something Whit had worked on in earlier years. It MIGHT have been when Jason and Jack were going through the basement while Whit was 'in the middle east'. I recently listened to the Darkness before Dawn marathon and the episodes about the tunnel. It was very quick, I was like 'ew, did I really hear that?* That's why I thought it might be a 'history of whit' episode which would have been a very good way for us to begin to relate to André in a new way. Though now as I listen to some of the early Hal Smith episodes, I think André sounds more like Hal than Paul. Don't take me wrong, I loved them both and am quickly warming up to André as well. The Mystery of the Clock Tower was not 'bad'. I just don't think it will stand the test of time as one of the 'best ever'. I don't have a strong sense of liking it more or less than The Inspiration Station when it first came out. Just sort of 'that was nice', what's next?
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

jennifertwt wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:Are you referring to I Slap Floor, perhaps? Whit mentions (basically) the strataflyer from the video series (although, he never actually calls it that) and when someone teases him for it, he says, "Oh, yeah? well, you'll all be sorry next time someone falls off a clock tower".
No, it was something I heard recently, but no telling where. I do not always listen to the episodes in order, just sort of what suits my fancy at the time. It was a fleeting reference to something Whit had worked on in earlier years. It MIGHT have been when Jason and Jack were going through the basement while Whit was 'in the middle east'. I recently listened to the Darkness before Dawn marathon and the episodes about the tunnel. It was very quick, I was like 'ew, did I really hear that?* That's why I thought it might be a 'history of whit' episode which would have been a very good way for us to begin to relate to André in a new way. Though now as I listen to some of the early Hal Smith episodes, I think André sounds more like Hal than Paul. Don't take me wrong, I loved them both and am quickly warming up to André as well. The Mystery of the Clock Tower was not 'bad'. I just don't think it will stand the test of time as one of the 'best ever'. I don't have a strong sense of liking it more or less than The Inspiration Station when it first came out. Just sort of 'that was nice', what's next?
Um, maybe you were referring to the Inspiration Station? (see my previous post.)
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

ric wrote: No, I believe she's referring to 'The Inspiration Station' when Mortimer tells Matthew about an incident where Mr. Whitaker made the clock run backwards on accident.

Yes, THAT''S IT! I can't believe I forgot that. And, yes, I know I have 'quoting issues'.

It seemed like the perfect place to pick up and start the new season. Oh well, maybe another time.

Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Glad Tacksägelsedagen Sverige!

Fixed missing quote tags. ~DanP740
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Aww, I wanted Andrew to be innocent. It sounded like he was guilty, but I really hoped it would be Alicia or something that was responsible. He seemed like a sweet guy, except for the whole 'stalking' thing... I thought that a little creepy for Odyssey.

At any rate, I enjoyed the episode, although I was a little disappointed that the ending wasn't bigger. Like Whit's End being bombed or Dr. Blackgaurd returing to life or something. ;)

4.5/5 coz I love mysteries!
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I knew it was the Janitor and I knew when it was counting down it was going to be a diversion. a little predictible but still good. I gave it 4/5 stars. also we got to hear more from the mayor this episode!!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Wow, this was an...interesting episode to say the least. It was too predictable, though. As I said last week, "I wonder if Andrew has anything to do with it. Not because of Matthew's theory...but just a gut feeling that's driving me insane," I figured it out now. I just felt that he had something to do with it, and in the end, it happened. And the closest thing to a surprise ending that was in it was the fact that Andrew's father was a part of it. But after knowing enough about mysteries, I had a hunch it was him. The music also didn't seem to really be that related to the previous one. The last one was more...electric, and this one was back to what I'm used to. I'd rather that a show keep the same music standard, instead of changing. Also, the lesson learned seemed to be summed up in what Matthew said. No more than a sentence, really. Not that big of a lesson learned. And it looks like we got romance starting, also. The mystery part was intriuging enough, though it was spoiled with the fact that Andrew was guilty. When it was found out that he was 'stalking' Alicia, it sort of felt...like a mature scene there, not so ordinary. I'd say more, but I'd rather not. Stalking in Odyssey. Weird. >_> And also, I think Spencer Hicks is an OK character. Nothing really special about him. Just ordinary. Connie and Eugene were played as they normally have been, so I don't think much was changed on that part. There wasn't enough Whit for me to really talk about him. But, he'll hopefully be around more. So I give this episode 6.5/10, which has sunk my total rating of The Mystery of the Clock Tower down to more of a 7.5/10. Mystery, yes, which got my interest. Few moral lessons, fairly predictable plot, yes, which lowered my interest.

Whoa....that was....long.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I enjoyed this episode... but it wasnt as interesting as the first part. I had suspected the janitor already, so it wasnt really suprising that he had masterminded the plot. This episode really showed how the writers have lowered the age range for Odyssey... I'm sure it would be more suspenseful for younger listeners, but for an older audience it wasnt as captivating. Overall it was very interesting, but I was hoping the ending would've had more of a climax and suspense. I'm hoping to see more complicated plots in the future.

\:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

1: I liked this episode. :yes: Not the best, but still alright.

2: I got album 52 yesterday! \:D/ I am very happy. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

4.5 stars. I figured out Andrew was playing a role in this, but I did not figure out his father's involvement, the diversion or the attempted bank robbery.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I loved it! A great ending to the episode. I give it five stars out of five. :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

My review: \:D/

Well, this episode had an excellent start. :D I listened to it, & I thought,"Maybe this season won't be so bad after all!" An old romance, a strange mystery, all that good stuff. I have to say that it reminded me of Novacom. Maybe it was the disappearing company? :-k
Then...I listened to this the 2nd part. #-o I was very disappointed. :( The ending was not as professional as I had hoped that it would be. This definitely was a AIO episode for older, more "mature"
listeners. I cannot imagine a 10-11 year old child listening to this. Andrew's feelings about Alicia were bordering on his stalking her. :anxious: Uh, that's a pretty serious subject. Also, what was the moral in this story? To let go of the past? I don't get it! :mad: Another thing, the plot was sorta...predictable. A bank robbery is too common in Odyssey. Been there, done that. :cry:
And the ending? Whit, Connie & Eugene laughing about a possible marrige?! What?!

All in all, it was good, but not great. There were several things that could have been changed. 6/10

\:D/ I'm done with my ranting, now!
*insert provocative quote here*
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

The entire time I was listening to the stuff about Andrew, I was thinking, "STALKER!!!!" XD I think the AIO team almost diminished how serious it is to have a stalker; I mean, talk about signs of psychological instability. :-