669: Wooton's Broken Pencil Show

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you think of "Wooton's Broken Pencil Show"?

Five - Hilarious!!
26%
Four - Really humorous!
26%
Three - Somewhat funny.
16%
Two - Good for a few chuckles.
24%
One - Unfunny!
8%

Total votes: 38

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
669: Wooton's Broken Pencil Show

Post by Peachey Keen »

Here it is!! And I was the first one to find it!

Discuss and disect at will!!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bahaha! that was funny and original and amazing! and here I thought I would have to wait till tomorrow to listen to it.

Till the end of the line.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I don't think there's ever been an AIO episode quite like "Wooton's Broken Pencil Show." First of all, the whole thing is a radio broadcast of a talk show. It's true that we've heard many programs on Kids' Radio before, but never 25-minutes of spontaneity. Usually what we hear from Kids' Radio is limited to one story or a bunch of skits ("Fairy Tal-e-vision" or "The Power of One," for example), but here we have a live call-in show and a bunch of characters talking together. Secondly, there is actually little plot to speak of. I suppose that really depends on how you define "plot," but you don't have one adventure or two similarly-themed stories going throughout the whole episode. Unless you consider the conflict being if Wooton can make it through Connie's show okay (which any AIO listener should know wouldn't be a problem for Wooton). So, when you've stripped your episode of a captivating story running throughout, are the characters and messages enough to sustain it?

You'll have to go here to find out my answer. :p
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I thought the new eps always aired on SATURDAY... whitsend.org shows it airing SUNDAY.. isnt that kind of unusual? Thanks Peachy Keen for having it on here or i wouldnt get to listen to it today.

\:D/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I admit I am prejudiced against Wooten, though there are two Wooten episodes I like one involving Grady and being a substitute father figure and the other involving his niece (titles escape me right now). This episode was 'okay' in that it is not the worst ever made. That is a toss up between Fairy-Tale-vision and The Great Wishy Woz. I would not buy the album for this episode and would probably skip over it in listening. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes in a few weeks. I will stick with 3 out of 5 stars as I did enjoy the interaction between Connie and Eugene and there was a point made at the end.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The Chis intro seemed rather cheesy and not really AIO like, but Chris seems to be living in Odyssey again by the sound of the rap up just like in the older episodes.

I think this episode was created just to be over the top and make Wooton fans (which seems to be almost everyone) happy. Overall it was an interesting concept but they sacrificed the concept for the sake of Wooton fans.

The part where Connie calls a locksmith seemed like it was going to be normal until the locksmith go there and broke the window, that is when I knew that the show wasn't supposed to be a normal everyday life episode but a "lets make this as absurd as possible"

On the upper hand of things there was some pretty okay comedy and Captain absolutely being back was different. Though if someone had never heard The Truth Chronicles I think they would be rather confused.

I also think Connie would know what an air-horn is especially after the listening episode where Connie and Eugene had the quiz show. On the idea of the squirrel setting of the car alarm, the Odyssey Squirrel Blog I could easily see them making a field day out of that section of the episode.

Overall an average to okay episode 2.5/5

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Wow, Wooten got so many humorous lines in there... :lol:

All in all, I'd say Wooten's Broken Pencil Show was a good episode. The lines were well written, the sound effects were awesome, and Harlow's entrance into the show (after how many episodes of absence?) was very good as well! I cannot however, review how Whit preformed in this episode. I am still really not used to Whit's voice.

I didn't really care a whole bunch for the episode though. I didn't really like the plot. I think usually they define it a little better. And the little story about the wrestler I found didn't really capture my attention.

I'm giving it 3/5.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

It wasn't that bad. It was kind of odd, but I liked it. The Captain Absolutely part was fun. I think I have to give it a 3/5.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

THat was really funny!! Wooton is awesome!!

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Okay.. that was fine. Not in my top 100 fav AIO eps definitely. It wasnt really funny... but for an Odyssey episode with no point whatsoever, it was okay. I hope the next episode will be better.

\:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I love how on the Album back cover the theme of the Broken Pencil Show episode is: ???? :D
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Wooton raids--er, has to do a talk show--on Kid's Radio today! And boy was this episode...lame.

If I were to get extremely picky, I'd go on and list how Kid's Radio couldn't be held in a closet, but that isn't too important. Yay for Red being in the episode, along with Harlow, even if they both didn't play a very major role in it. Also, I was glad Matthew wasn't in it.

Connie and Eugene's tiff was almost normal, but it seemed as though they were just a little too polite for when they made up, and when they both said, "No!" to the hugging scene, it sounded as though it was just a thrown in line.

Wooton's obssession with sound effects was really annoying, but at least there was some Captain Absolutely to let us not hear about him. ;) The whole Captain Absolutely thing was...cheesy and pointless, so I don't seen any reason why what's-his-name should take all the point out of the world. It was already pointless.

I really didn't see the point of this episode. The point, I think, is that by giving us a pointless episode with a meaningless moral, we should make all our entertainment have a point, thereby our shows/media/whatnot is point...ful? :P

The character of Wooton, I think, was put here just to give us an episode with Wooton, so that all Wooton lovers would be happy to hear of him. However, I think that the writing for him made him seem unrealistic. I mean, he's normally goofy, but in most places he has at least some point. I was already dreading this episode, and when it began, I knew that it wasn't going to be a very interesting episode.

On the random lines of funniness, all they really did was make me snicker or laugh, but not really make me enjoy it. There are for me, two types of comedies. The one that makes you laugh the whole way through, and you really laugh, or the one where there are random lines of funniness just...thrown in. The latter was Wooton's Broken Pencil Show.

Probably the best part of this episode, imo, was when Wooton gets to end the show instead of Chris. Though I did expect that something would happen and Chris would have to leave, just like in the "Game for a Mystery" she gave all the AIO staff a mysterious name, or in "Finish What You..." she didn't have all of her script. That was cliched. *rolls his eyes* But I still liked the ending.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Except for a few good humorous lines from Wooton and Eugene, this episode was a flop. It reminded me of Fairy-Tail-a-Vision. It was too silly and treated the "point" with too much frivolity to be effective. 1.5/5
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I really liked the parts about Connie and the car alarm. That seemed normal. The Captain Absolutely part was very strange. I didn't quite get it. People have said that he is mentioned on The Truth Chronicles, so I suppose if I would have heard them it might have made more sense. I actually liked Fairy-talevision and The Great Wishy Woz. Those made sense because they were obvious plays on the well-known stories.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, here's my review:

Pros:Wow. This was a great episode. It was......very different. I enjoyed Wooton and Harlow being in it. I really enjoyed the Captain Absolutely part. It was a bit random, but hey, we're talking about Wooton here.

Cons:Hmm...I can't really think of that much. I mean, it wasn't the best episode overall, but I can't really think of any reason why. It was just....there wasn't too much of a plot. But...... ya.

Overall: Great episode. Very different. A bit weak, but overall rating is.....
8.5/10
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

It was... interesting. Wooton hosting Kid's Radio and being random and talking to Connie on the phone while she was outside was interesting. The Captain Absolutely thing was rather weird and I didn't exactly pay close attention. The plethora of sound effects was funny, and just Wooton's randomness was great, and is rather similar to the "radio" my sister and I have recorded. I would have liked this better if it didn't have Whit, Red, or Captain Absolutely in it...
3 out of 5 stars.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Wow... well, I like Wooton's car alarm noises. Harlow Doyle and Red Hollard (two characters I don't care for) were well used. This whole episode is forgettable, though.

My favorite quote:
"How far could you go? Everyone would just listen for the motor." :lol:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

There is really only two words to describe this episode: crazy and insane. Truly a show that only Wooton could do (or my brother ;)). I remember thinking in the middle of the episode: why are Whit and Eugene acting so crazy? Then I remember. It was Wooton's show. I was surprised that Harlow Doyle came back to the show. At first I was opposed to him coming back, but now I'm okay with it. I guess I had forgotten how much he added to the show. I loved Chris's interaction with Wooton. Wooton ending the show was great. This show reminded me of the BTV episodes. Those were always fun to listen to. I loved that Red was in this episode too. I'm glad that the Parkers weren't in this one. I'm sure they will be in plenty of others. Overall, this was a crazy and insane episode. Very funny. I will give it four stars out of five.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Sapphire wrote:There is really only two words to describe this episode: crazy and insane. Truly a show that only Wooton could do (or my brother ;)). I remember thinking in the middle of the episode: why are Whit and Eugene acting so crazy? Then I remember. It was Wooton's show. I was surprised that Harlow Doyle came back to the show. At first I was opposed to him coming back, but now I'm okay with it. I guess I had forgotten how much he added to the show. I loved Chris's interaction with Wooton. Wooton ending the show was great. This show reminded me of the BTV episodes. Those were always fun to listen to. I loved that Red was in this episode too. I'm glad that the Parkers weren't in this one. I'm sure they will be in plenty of others. Overall, this was a crazy and insane episode. Very funny. I will give it four stars out of five.
Finally! Someone who gives it a high(er) rating!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

You guys can check out my review. here:

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.com/

Thanks!