What Bible Version Do You Use?

KJV? NIV? ESV? NASB? Vote and discuss!

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

What version(s) who you use?

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
10%
American Standard Version (ASV)
No votes
New King James Version (NKJV)
10%
New International Version (NIV)
36%
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
No votes
English Standard Version (ESV)
9%
New Living Translation (NLT)
4%
King James Version (KJV)
24%
The Living Bible
No votes
The Message
6%
Other (post below)
1%

Total votes: 70

American Eagle
Chief of Police
What Bible Version Do You Use?

Post by American Eagle »

The topic is self-explanatory. \:D/ What version, or versions, do you use, and why?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I use NIV mostly. I don't know why. Because that's what we have. I also use NLT, because it's really easy to understand, but it still seems like a Bible. I also use KJV, because I like testing my mind with hard language, and because it's supposed to be more.....like the original...or something.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I use the NASB, since it's supposedly one of the most accurate versions. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I have the NKJV.... I love the King James, but it gets difficult to follow along with and then my mind starts wandering... =P The New King James switches out some of the 'madest' and 'haveth' to more 'modern' spellings. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

NIV for the most part. It just seems to be the most common around here.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I mostly use the NIV version. No special reason really.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I use the King James Version.

People commonly say the KJV is so hard to understand, but personally, I can understand it better than the other versions. "Thou shalt not kill" makes more sense than "You shall not murder." Or "...and all these things shall be added unto you" is easier for me to understand than "...and all these things will be given to you as well." It's weird... but I guess that's just me. ;)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I use NASB, but have found the ESV to be excellent as well.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

NIV most of the time, as it makes more sense for me. I occasionally use NKJV, but I find it hard to follow along in Bible groups when most of the others are reading NIV out loud.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I use the KJV. I am not KJVO though. It's easier for me to read. It actually makes my mind concentrate harder to understand.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

I really like ESV the best, but the NIV is execellent as well. :yes:
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

NIV & the NKJ.
*insert provocative quote here*
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

NKJV... i find that the newer versions tend to change the meaning of verses and omit certain terms... thats just my opinion anyway.

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Dr. Watson wrote:I use NASB, but have found the ESV to be excellent as well.
Yay my other account! \:D/

But, yeah... I use NASB. NASB and ESV are easily the most accurate available--considerably moreso than KJV, however the KJV is a lot better than the silly paraphrased versions of the Bible that are out there now.

I've not really anything against the KJV itself, though I do have a problem with those who hold it as just as 100% accurate as the original scripture, and who say all other translations are evil and made only to lead people astray, etc. ...even though simply knowing the language would prove NASB and others are more accurate translations. :(
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I read the KJ version and the NIV version.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:I've not really anything against the KJV itself, though I do have a problem with those who hold it as just as 100% accurate as the original scripture, and who say all other translations are evil and made only to lead people astray, etc.
Heh, I know a lot of people like that. In some ways, I used to be that way. Now, I almost feel like switching to ESV, but several things hold me back. One of them is the fact I love KJV. "Thou shalt not kill." When I read that, I know I'm reading the Bible. But when I hear, "You shall not murder"... eh, that just doesn't do it for me.

Oh, and most of my friends are KJV advocates. Whenever I go to church, we read from the KJV. There are other reasons too, such as well-known inaccuracies in translations like the NIV, and specifically, I hate that most versions take out the fact that Mary was a virgin, calling her a "young woman" instead (Isaiah 7:14).

So yeah, that's why I use KJV. \:D/

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

King James Version always. Other translations sometimes take things out of context. Also God said that his Holy Spirit would help us know what the Bible says when we don't understand it. When man trys to make it simpler, it's just man's interpretation, not God's.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I use NIV, mainly because I've never been able to understand what the others always said. The way they worded things in other translations has always confused me. :shrugs:
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Peachey Keen wrote:King James Version always. Other translations sometimes take things out of context. Also God said that his Holy Spirit would help us know what the Bible says when we don't understand it. When man trys to make it simpler, it's just man's interpretation, not God's.
Thanks PK, I totally agree with you.. but NKJV is very easy to understand without changing the meanings of the verses. For anyone who would like to know what the different versions of the Bible say for any verse.. visit http://www.biblegateway.com and you can easily compare the accuracy of 100s of Bible versions. Its a very helpful tool. Let me know if you check it out guys!

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Peachey Keen wrote:King James Version always. Other translations sometimes take things out of context. Also God said that his Holy Spirit would help us know what the Bible says when we don't understand it. When man trys to make it simpler, it's just man's interpretation, not God's.
There are bad and mediocre translations out there, sure, but NASB and others are proven to be more accurate than KJV. For instance the KJV authors randomly thought it would be cool to incorporate the cockatrice into the Bible when the original wording is a normal animal. \:D/

I, for one, think incorporations of cockatrices is something long overdue, however adding them to holy scripture is likely not a wise idea. ;) Matter of fact, its a thing people use to disprove the Bible, since its a fictional creature.

.......or is it!? :shock: