Church Burns Bibles, Christian Books, Music

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Church Burns Bibles, Christian Books, Music

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Maybe you all have heard about this. I just recently found it and thought I'd do a post on it. This Baptist church planned to burn Southern Gospel music, and books by Billy Graham, James Dobson, ect. Actually the police stopped them from starting a fire, and it rained. Reminds me of the time people picketed Chick Fil A on Sunday. ;)

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... ad100.html

What are your thoughts on this?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

LOLOLOL!!!!!! That is hilarious, yet sad.... I don't think it is good. The Bill of Rights guarantee right to expression, but, this is to extreme. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Billy Graham, Charles Stanley, RC Sproul, Joni Eareckson Tada, John McArthur, James Dobson, Charles Swindoll, John Piper, Chuck Colson and Dave Ramsey? What on earth could you have against Dave Ramsey?! The man gives sound financial advise, for pity's sake. ;) They also have Jack Schaap listed - they are dead wrong.

The only Christian-movie they mentioned was about Billy Graham. I can't wait for them to release more stuff. \:D/

*sits back and gets a tub of popcorn*
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

American Eagle wrote:Billy Graham, Charles Stanley, RC Sproul, Joni Eareckson Tada, John McArthur, James Dobson, Charles Swindoll, John Piper, Chuck Colson and Dave Ramsey? What on earth could you have against Dave Ramsey?! The man gives sound financial advise, for pity's sake. ;) They also have Jack Schaap listed - they are dead wrong.

The only Christian-movie they mentioned was about Billy Graham. I can't wait for them to release more stuff. \:D/

*sits back and gets a tub of popcorn*
lol, yeah. The only thing I don't like about Dave Ramsay, is that sometimes he says bad words (God, ect.) My Mom loves his advice. Did they say that Billy was a bad or good movie?

-- 10 Mar 2011 01:12 am --
Whitty Whit wrote:LOLOLOL!!!!!! That is hilarious, yet sad.... I don't think it is good. The Bill of Rights guarantee right to expression, but, this is to extreme. ;)
They're giving the Church (and Baptists) a bad name.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

What? Did I read that right! They want to burn those books! NIV Bibles and books by so many Christian authors are called evil? :shock:
Agree with the Freedom of Expression but this is really Extreme :shock:
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:LOLOLOL!!!!!! That is hilarious, yet sad.... I don't think it is good. The Bill of Rights guarantee right to expression, but, this is to extreme. ;)
Exactly, that's the sad part.... Reminds me of Westboro Baptist church... My internet filter actually said it was a their website was banned because of "Hate/Discrimination"...

But that's a different topic. \:D/
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Whitty Whit wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
Exactly, that's the sad part.... Reminds me of Westboro Baptist church... My internet filter actually said it was a their website was banned because of "Hate/Discrimination"...

But that's a different topic. \:D/
Wow. Oh my goodness! They're the ones that picket funerals?! We were just talking about them today! We went to my great-grandpas funeral viewing, but they didn't show up. Let's hear it for the freedom rider dudes, that protest the protests! =D>
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Westboro Baptist church give Christians a bad name!
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

AMEN!!!
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

If they would ever take the light of the truth out from under the bushel of paranoia, can you imagine what could be accomplished?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Oh my goodness. I cannot believe that a church would do this...I'm just at a loss for words.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I don't think real Christians will do this :shame: . The Bible says you can tell a man by his fruit and the fruit their bearing shows otherwise :noway:
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Oh my word...I literally stopped breathing as I was reading through that website! What a bunch of narrow-minded idiots! Not to call people names, but that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of. KJV being the only Bible that is correct? I'm not saying it is necessarily a "bad" version, but just because it's old doesn't mean it's the best version. It was sanctioned by the king, and therefore some things were translated according to his wishes, rather than completely literally...but that's another discussion. Basically, it's not necessarily the most accurate out there, and the NASB is generally accepted as very accurate among Christians and scholars...along with the fact that they call the NKJV a perversion too!! Changing a few thee's and thou's is a perversion?! :shock: Sorry, but I don't think ancient Greek or Hebrew had "thee" instead of "you" in it...lol.

And um...Billy Graham? James Dobson? What on earth did they do to get on this list? What makes this church's own preachers and missionaries so much better? If they have to discredit every single author and preacher in the Christian faith, many who have helped Christians and converted people to God, why do they trust ANY teacher?

Seems if they spent as much time truely studying the Bible and trying to reach out to others that they'd be much farther ahead and much more useful to the Body of Christ. Lol, talk about timing...the other day that one episode was on the radio about being wise with Robyn listening to the bones of rath music and everything Dale Jacobs said about the music burning that a bunch of the town was doing...yeah. Burning stuff isn't the answer, no matter how much you disagree. It won't stop people from listening or reading, or even turn them toward the church. :(

I was looking at their statement of beliefs...the first half...literally...was all about the KJV! I had issues wwith a lot of the stuff, for example, the idea that we cannot join with other denominations for the sake of fellowship or witnessing...the church should be the BODY OF CHRIST...ONE BODY. It is most effective to join together instead of letting the smallest differences tear us apart, which completely tears the whole church apart and ruins Christianity for so many outside of the church. :cry: But then you go to another place and it calls Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians "cults and false religions" so I guess I'm not surprised...wow. Yeah, I'll quit my rant.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I actually don’t have a problem with this. :anxious:
Well, let me clarify that. There are two separate issues here. What they are doing, and why they’re doing it.
Of course I think their beliefs are way off. So their reason is wrong.
But, I don’t have a problem with the actual action. If they want to burn some stuff, I don’t think there’s a reason to stop them. Unless of course their area has a public burning ordinance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Aww man, I am having a great time on this website. They have Bill Cosby listed as a wicked "Follywood" guy, with no reason given. John Goodman is also listed because he "Played in the ungodly sitcom, Roseanne." I'm sure the show was bad, but they're condemning a guy's entire life because of one TV show from the 1990s? Eh.

About KJV... it is actually what I use. :anxious: These people make it harder to "admit" it. I, however, don't believe other translations are wrong. I find it interesting (and frustrating) that they hail the "original, inspired, preserved" KJV, but then say, "I have no problem using the 1611 but we don't." So you're using the new KJV? ;)

I also find it interesting that in their title "We Believe That salvation Is Totally A Gift Of God", Salvation is the only word not capitalized. \:D/

Anyway, yeah, these people are wackos. They're attacking other servants of God simply because they don't use a certain English translation. That is wrong, and only brings devision and hurt into the Body of Christ. Basically, these people are simply Christian trolls. Good for a laugh or two, but not something to get upset over.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Everyone makes mistakes. Sure, what they're doing isn't the greatest of things but everyone sins. We should just continue to love them as God does and not start division.

In other words I'm echoing what AE said \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I have been on their website before... it is indeed a great delight! \:D/

But yeah, the KJV is fine but isn't even the most accurate. >_>

Billy Graham, while he has done some great things and I don't want to burn his books, has watered down his message over the years.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

While I'll certainly miss artists like Chris Tomlin and David Crowder Band, I'm relieved to see that the Newboys made the cut! \:D/

I found the number of typos and the page of photos of all the member families especially hilarious. :hilarious:

Also;
idiots' poorly-designed website wrote:We believe that it is ungodly for a man to touch a woman before marriage or a woman to touch a man in any way shape or form.
I'd love to see their church greeting time. :rofl:
American Eagle wrote:Dave Ramsey? What on earth could you have against Dave Ramsey?! The man gives sound financial advise, for pity's sake. :wink:
lol
odysseyfan1 wrote:lol, yeah. The only thing I don't like about Dave Ramsay, is that sometimes he says bad words (God, ect.) My Mom loves his advice.
Wow! First of all, AE was being sarcastic. (hence his wink and my lol) At least that's how I interpreted it and what I hope he meant. Anyway, Dave Ramsey is an ignorant, arrogant, false-teacher who does the work of the devil. Of course that's a whole 'nother issue that I'd love to debate in a different thread but... he's not exactly a Christian teacher... like at all.

Obviously these morons are crazy, but bookworm brought up a very good point about the difference between their stance and their action. However, I have a different opinion than him. While there are certainly several books that I wouldn't mind setting a match to (Your Best Life Now by Joel Olsteen and My Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey come to mind), as Christians we are called to love our enemies. I believe book-burning is inherently a hateful action and is, therefore, something Jesus wouldn't/didn't do.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

The Top Crusader wrote:Billy Graham, while he has done some great things and I don't want to burn his books, has watered down his message over the years.
I agree with that. Plus he lets people make idols of him.

But I still think it's wrong to burn all those books! Burning books only leads to people being killed.
And why burn a Hebrew-English dictionary!??? That's dumb. Old Hebrew texts are more accurate than the KJV.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

As KBT said, book burning isn't something Jesus would do. And as Bible believing Christians, we shouldn't do it. OH NOES!!! A FIRE!!! CALL THE ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!! They'll sue the church for everything they got because they're wasting trees (paper from the books) and making smoke!!!!!

They are narrow minded and, don't censor this, don't censor this!, are stupid as all get out!!

Billy Graham??? What did he do??? Just because (as Ayralee said) he lets people make him an idol, doesn't mean he's wrong!!! (sarcasm alert)

James Dobson?? Isn't that the guy who wrote "Be Intolerant."? lol. Go for it (sarcasm alert. i don't like his writing, but i'm not condoning that his books should be burned)

THE POPE?????? WHAT ON EARTH DID HE DO!!?!?! Just because he forgave the jews for crucifying Jesus, doesn't make him bad!!!! (another sarcasm alert. i dislike the pope and his writing/teaching, and he is blaspheming. He's forgiving sin: the sin of crucifying Jesus. He is calling himself god)
#FOREVERKITTY