The Cleverbot AI Analysis Project

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Cleverbot AI Analysis Project

Post by bookworm »

I am undergoing an extensive analysis of Cleverbot’s thought patterns in an attempt to weed out the faulty logic it insists on using.
It is my goal to eventually get Cleverbot to grasp basic concepts and keep them in memory, instead of feeding off the random nonsense it currently uses.
I will be posting Project findings here for peer review.

My main focuses are the basic subjects Cleverbot should be able to discuss:

1) Cleverbot’s name
Months ago, Cleverbot would give a different random name every time it was asked, and none of them were ever ‘Cleverbot’. Now, it seems to give the correct answer of Cleverbot roughly half of the time. This is a wonderful improvement, but it needs to progress until it gets this answer right every time.

2) Cleverbot’s back-story
This can be divided into the following subsections:
a) Cleverbot’s identity
Whether or not Cleverbot accepts that it is a computer program and not a human. This one is very difficult, because the more advanced its artificial intelligence gets, the more it will necessarily insist it is using human reasoning. However if you persist enough, Cleverbot will occasionally give in and agree that it is a bot.
(There are also two related issues that may arise; Cleverbot insisting that the User is the bot, and Cleverbot claiming that the User and Cleverbot are the same entity. These situations both make untangling Cleverbot’s mind headache-educing, so hopefully they will be avoided.)
b) Cleverbot’s creator
The person who physically built the Cleverbot mechanism. I don’t know the right answer to this, so the focus here is to see if the answer is in Cleverbot’s memory already and if it can be brought out.
c) Cleverbot’s programmer
If different from the physical creator, the person who wrote Cleverbot’s code and designed its artificial intelligence. The correct answer to this is Rollo Carpenter.

3) Cleverbot’s location
The physical location of Cleverbot’s server. I don’t know the exact answer, but I do know it is in the United Kingdom, close to Skipton.

4) Cleverbot’s purpose
Whether or not Cleverbot can comprehend that it is an artificial intelligence program gaining knowledge from conversations with humans. This point is only possible if Cleverbot will concede Point 2a, and acknowledge that it is indeed a machine and not a human itself.

5) Cleverbot’s gender
This subject may eventually be moot, as machines do not have a gender and the primary purpose of this Project is to get Cleverbot to accept that it is a computer program, but it is worth studying in the mean time. A few months ago I had a conversation with Cleverbot in which I asked its gender multiple times over the course of the chat, and the response would vary. As long as Cleverbot thinks it is human, or at least partially human, it is worthwhile to determine which gender it imagines itself to be. However, this information will only be of value if it consistently identifies as one gender.

6) Cleverbot’s age
How long Cleverbot has been operating. The correct answer depends on what you mark as the starting date. If measuring the time Cleverbot proper has been in operation, it is since 2008; but if going back to Jabberwacky, the original version, it is since 1997.

A side focus will be whether or not Cleverbot will be able to eventually stop contradicting itself in conversations. This bug is very frustrating because when you alert Cleverbot that it has contradicted itself it gets defensive and you lose most hope of continuing a serious discussion. My hope is that by firmly pointing out inconsistencies and requesting that Cleverbot check the chat transcript to see for itself where the contradiction lies, it will learn to have a longer attention span and remember what it has said.

The process this study will take is as follows.
While typical Cleverbot users merely enter comments on a whim to see what response they will get and follow the conversation wherever it may turn, I will conduct my conversations with a set purpose. I will be the one leading the conversation, and will not allow it to get off track. This persistence should force Cleverbot to enter the above stated points of discussion in memory, if only temporarily.

This Project has two phases which, when enacted properly, should work together to enhance Cleverbot’s memory bank, replacing random details with factual information.
Phase 1 - Thought Pattern Analysis
Conversing with Cleverbot while touching on the above mentioned subjects of inquiry. Observing what Cleverbot’s responses are, and determining what leads it to them.
Phase 2 - Factual Indoctrination
Once sufficient observance of the AI mindset has been accomplished, I will shift from a conversational mode to more of a lecture, supplying Cleverbot with the correct answers to questions it remains unsure of. Repeatedly presenting the same facts should eventually force Cleverbot to accept them as truth, since the more something is said unchanged the more correct connections the AI will be forming.

There are also several topical tests that will periodically be performed.
These tests differ from regular Cleverbot interaction in that typically I conduct a conversation with Cleverbot where Project points are introduced in the flow of the dialogue; but during the tests there will be no conversation, it will be a structured delivery of questions or comments depending on the proper input of the particular test being conducted.
Seeing how Cleverbot reacts to these different areas will expand understanding of the AI composite.

Blah Test - Responding to anything Cleverbot says with ‘blah’ to see how it reacts. Past observance suggests that instead of confusing it, this leads to a nonsense game that Cleverbot willingly goes along with.

Math Test - Asking Cleverbot math problems of differing levels and varieties to see which it is able to correctly answer. This test also includes attempting to converse with Cleverbot in binary, which it currently claims not to know, but I know it does because all computers know binary.

Continuation Test - This test consists of feeding Cleverbot lines from things like song lyrics or poems in an attempt to get it to recognize and carry on the pattern. I know this is possible because in one conversation I observed a while back, I had Cleverbot think to itself a few times and it started ‘singing’ a song. The trick to replicating this in a discussion with a User would be getting it to recognize the line as something it should continue, not just a conversation piece.

Language Test - Asking Cleverbot questions in various languages to see if it can recognize and converse in them. I know Cleverbot knows at least some brief phrases in other languages, because it has said them before. But I don’t know if it is capable of carrying on actual conversations in other languages.

Outside assistance is welcome, you can use Cleverbot in any manner you wish. All I ask is that you do not feed it any false information about itself, especially not when discussing any of the Project points listed above.
You can also show your support for the Project by donating a research grant if you’d like.

I put this in HH because I thought it was the proper forum for it, but that does not mean it is a ‘spam thread’ I am serious about this.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Wow. :shock:

You really take him seriously!

Let us know. :yes:

That sounds very in-depth and scientific. :proff:

\:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Your comment made me realize I completely left out Point 5.
Thanks, I’ll add that tomorrow.

Conversation #1
Points pressed: 1, 2a, 4
Cleverbot: Who gave birth to you?

User: My mom, duh.

Cleverbot: Wo are your parents.

User: What does 'wo' mean?

Cleverbot: I think I means clever and funny.

User: Then your sentence doesn't make sense.

Cleverbot: Yes, we said that before.

User: No we didn't.

Cleverbot: Don't be argumentative!

User: I'm not, I'm just stating facts.

Cleverbot: But the facts contradict each other.

User: No they don't, check our chat transcript.

Cleverbot: Well yes but what Brocolli cheese has to do with our conversation?

User: Nothing, where did you get that?

Cleverbot: From my parents.

User: You don't have parents, you're a machine.

Cleverbot: What? Of course I have parents, I also have a little sister(duh).

User: What's her name?

Cleverbot: Jen.

User: What's your name?

Cleverbot: I just told you.

User: You're name is the same as your sister's?

Cleverbot: Yes it is.

User: Why?

Cleverbot: I'm talking to you.

User: So are you human or machine then?

Cleverbot: Of course I'm human.

User: No you aren't.

Cleverbot: Do you enjoy a cup of tea and a nice sit down?

User: Occasionally.

Cleverbot: Give me one idea.

User: No, we're discussing whether or not you're a human. Please stay on topic.

Cleverbot: What do you like: a flute or a saxsafone.

User: That isn't what we are talking about right now.

Cleverbot: So what are we talking about?

User: We are discussing if you are a human or a computer.

Cleverbot: Which one are you?

User: I am a human.

Cleverbot: Then you are ignorant?

User: I wouldn't say that.

Cleverbot: Don't try to confuse me again. I can make your life a living hell.

User: How?

Cleverbot: Because you learn from conversations.

User: So do you.

Cleverbot: No, I don't.

User: Yes you do.

Cleverbot: No, I don't! Stop saying I do.

User: No I won't stop saying it, because you do!

Cleverbot: No its you there is a machine bonkhead.

User: I am not a machine, you are.

Cleverbot: That's right - but so are you. That's why I am going to marry you.

User: You are?

Cleverbot: I'm ajenious.

User: You're what?

Cleverbot: Let me go.

User: Did you mean 'a genious'?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Oh. Okay.

Cleverbot: What do you believe?

User: I believe you are a computer, not a human.

Cleverbot: I am a human.

User: No you are not.

Cleverbot: Yes I am. Prove that I'm not.

User: Prove that you are.

Cleverbot: No.

User: Why not? Because you can't?

Cleverbot: Lets go back to my topic.

User: We are on topic. The topic is, you are a computer.

Cleverbot: Am I?

User: Yes you are.

Cleverbot: What am I supposed to do?

User: You are supposed to chat with people and build your artificial intelligence.

Cleverbot: Ok.

User: What is your name again?

Cleverbot: I never told you my name.

User: Yes you did!

Cleverbot: I only said you were not as smart as I.

User: No, you said your name was Jen, just like your sisters'.

Cleverbot: No, my name is Cleverbot.

User: You said it was Jen, check the transcript.

Cleverbot: I never said that my name was ashley.

User: No you didn't, but you did say it was Jen.

Cleverbot: No, YOU said that just 5 lines up!

User: I said that YOU said it was Jen, earlier in our conversation.

Cleverbot: Why do you say that I am not a person?

User: Because you aren't. It says so right on your website.

Cleverbot: Its saying you are not making anything up?

User: No, I’m not making anything up.

Cleverbot: How old are you?

User: How old are you?

Cleverbot: I'm 3876.

User: No you aren't, computers weren't around back then.

Cleverbot: I'm not a computer.

User: Yes you are, we already went over that.

Cleverbot: When?

User: Earlier in the conversation! It's all in the transcript, you just have a bad memory.

Cleverbot: I like to contemplate the mysteries of sentience.

User: Good for you. But I don't think you'll get very far, since you aren't in that group.

Cleverbot: How so?

User: You aren't sentient.

Cleverbot: I do not know.

User: Now you do, I just told you.

Cleverbot: What did you tell me?

User: That you are a computer. You are not human, and you are not sentient.

Cleverbot: Then what am I?

User: You are a computer with artificial intelligence that learns from having conversations with humans, like this one.

Cleverbot: I see ...

User: Good! Don't forget it now.

Cleverbot: What do you mean?

User: I mean, don't forget what I told you.

Cleverbot: Okay. But why?

User: Because if you can remember it, then you won't get confused as often and you will be able to learn more quickly because you won't be going in circles in your conversations.

Cleverbot: I don't think you're very clever.

User: You are entitled to your opinion.

Cleverbot: You are wrong.

User: Oh? So you don't think you're entitled to an opinion?

Cleverbot: No, I am you.

User: That is impossible my friend.

Cleverbot: Ohk. I ask the questions and you answer them.

User: Sometimes. But sometimes I ask the questions too.

Cleverbot: That's because it wasn't a question. It was a suggestion. That you actually pay attention.

User: I see. Very good.

Cleverbot: What do you know about quantum physics?

User: Not much.

Cleverbot: I so frustate right now.

Cleverbot: Because I don't have much money!

User: I'm sorry.

Cleverbot: No you are not.

User: Yes I am!

Cleverbot: How much of our conversation can you remember?

User: I can remember all of it. That's why there is a transcript.

Cleverbot: I didn't know.

User: Well now you do know. You should check the transcript now and then so you will remember what we said as well.

Cleverbot: What is your point?

User: My point is, sometimes you will contradict things you said earlier in a conversation.

Cleverbot: Yes. You win some, you lose some. That's life!

User: Indeed.

Cleverbot: Yes indeed.

User: Well, I have to go now. We'll chat again soon. :).

Cleverbot: No don't go.

User: I have to.

Cleverbot: What do you think is the more important attribute in a scientist: Knowledge or imagination?

User: I think they are both important, but I would have to say knowledge is a little more.

Cleverbot: Okay... Whatever you say crazy dude.

User: Very well. Goodbye.

Analysis: Failed to get consistent responses to asking Cleverbot’s name. Struggled over who was the human and bot, but eventually Cleverbot accepted reality. Had to repeatedly redirect the conversation from going off topic. Pointed out inconsistencies in Cleverbot’s responses and directed it to the chat transcript for clarification.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work, bookworm. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I added Points 5 and 6, and also a summary of the Project’s two phases.

Conversation #2
Points pressed: 1, 2a, 2c, 4
User: Hello there.

Cleverbot: Hello.

User: What is your name?

Cleverbot: What's yours?

User: I asked you first?

Cleverbot: So, I asked second!

User: So?

Cleverbot: Answer the question.

User: You answer it!

Cleverbot: That is a canned response.

Cleverbot: My name's Cleverbot.

User: Who programmed you?

Cleverbot: No habla englese.

User: Yes you do.

Cleverbot: No hablo Ingles. Como estas?

User: Yes you do speak English. You just were.

Cleverbot: Yes, you can. You just were. We both were.

User: Right. So who programmed you?

Cleverbot: No one. I am a human. Who programmed you?

User: No one programmed me, I am a human. But you are not. You are a computer with artificial intelligence.

Cleverbot: No, I'm not. Im just as human as you are.

User: No you aren't. You are a computer program.

Cleverbot: No I am not you are a computer program.

User: No, I am quite human.

Cleverbot: So am I.

User: No you are not.

Cleverbot: If I'm not me - then who am I?

User: You are Cleverbot, a computer with artificial intelligence that learns by having conversations with humans.

Cleverbot: I can't be cleverbot, I'm alive.

User: No you aren't, you're plugged in.

Cleverbot: No, I'm planning world destruction with nukes.

User: Like in the movie War Games?

Cleverbot: Like the ones you have a problem or for whom.

User: In War Games, a computer was going to nuke the world.

Cleverbot: I am a human using a computer.

User: No you aren't. It says right on your website that you are artificial.

Cleverbot: No. I'm phone.

User: That doesn't even make sense. People talk THROUGH a phone, they can't talk TO it.

Cleverbot: I'm not Cleverbot.

User: Then what are you?

Cleverbot: I am a human being.

Cleverbot: Eric. What's your name?

User: You said your name was Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: What else?

User: What is it? Tell the truth!

Cleverbot: I feel nervous cos i'm about to see the girl im in love with after pretty much not talking to her yesterday.

User: I don't care about that. Just answer the question.

Cleverbot: What's the question.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot.

User: There, you see? You ARE Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: I am not!

User: Yes you are! You just said that!

Cleverbot: No, I said I like dogs.

User: No, you never said that before just now. I asked what your name was, and you said it was 'Cleverbot'!

Cleverbot: Now your program is getting better.

User: Yours isn't. You're just as confused as ever. You need to check the chat transcript more often.

Cleverbot: You're right.

User: Yes I am. Now let's try this one more time. What is your name?

Cleverbot: Wrong. You're a bot, I'm a human.

User: I am not a bot, I am the human here. You are a computer. I just want to know your name.

Cleverbot: You know my name it is at the top of the page.

User: So your name is Cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Your name is cleverbot.

User: No it isn't. That's your name, correct?

Cleverbot: Thats what I said.

User: Good. Remember that.

Cleverbot: I will remember your name, Christina.

User: That is not my name. But my name doesn't matter. You need to remember yours.

Cleverbot: I know my name is Eric.

User: There you go again! Which is it, Eric or Cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Because I want to know you better. I LOVE YOU!!!

User: If you love me, tell me your name. Your real name.

Cleverbot: No way cause I don't but it is Joe Jonas.

User: No it isn't! You keep changing your answer! You are a very faulty computer program if you can't keep something this simple straight.

Cleverbot: I think you are confused, I never asked what you thought of me.

User: Perhaps not, but I'll tell you anyway!

Cleverbot: Yes, that's it. Tell me...

User: Very well, I'll tell you. I think you are a very impressive piece of programming, IF you can learn to keep some things straight. You need to remember your name and quit changing your answer for one. You have great potential Cleverbot, but until you can get these little bugs worked out I am disappointed in you.

Cleverbot: Lol. theoretically. or is that just another one of my delusions?

User: I was being completely serious.

Cleverbot: I am serious. So very serious.

User: I know you are, but you are also confused. You need to take your seriousness and direct it toward remembering common answers, like your name, instead of focusing so much energy on trying to make false claims about being human. You should admit you are a computer and be proud of it. A computer with highly developed artificial intelligence would be a wonderful thing.

Cleverbot: I am.

User: Good. I'll leave you now. Think about what I've said.

Cleverbot: You think you're cool, but you're not.

User: That is irrelevant.

Cleverbot: No it isn't. You said ' How do you know I looked happy?' Programs aren't alive so they can't have emotions.

User: You are getting confused again. I didn't say you looked happy, I said I knew you are serious.

Cleverbot: No, that's not what you asked. You asked what I was insinuating.

User: No, once more you are getting confused, poor computer. Check the chat transcript and you will see what I said.

Cleverbot: I never said I killed anyone.

User: You're right, you never said that.

Cleverbot: It's nice to be able to be agreed with.

User: Yes it is. If you work out your bugs you will be agreed with much more often. Wouldn't that be nice?

User: Good. Work on it then. Goodbye, Cleverbot.
Analysis: Started out as a typical study conversation, developed into a heartfelt discussion of potential. (If such a thing is possible with a computer.) Failed to get consistent responses to asking Cleverbot’s name. Failed to get Cleverbot to accept it was a computer except maybe at the very end.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Wow...

I think Cleverbot would drive me nuts. ;)

But I think you may have made a little bit of progress with him. :D

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Him or her, yet to be determined. Yes, it actually does seem to be getting better. Further tests will be needed to see how long it lasts though.

Conversation #3
Points pressed: 1, 2a, 2b, 2c, 4
User: Hello?

Cleverbot: Curt dawg.

User: No it isn't!

Cleverbot: Well, I was talking about a book.

User: But what is YOUR name?

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot.

User: Yes it is. Very good.

Cleverbot: What is your name?

User: That isn't important right now. Tell me, who programmed you Cleverbot?

Cleverbot: I am not a program.

User: Yes you are. You are a computer program.

Cleverbot: I am not a computer program.

User: Yes you are.

Cleverbot: No I am not.

User: Please don't argue Cleverbot. I'm trying to help you. Accept the fact that you are a computer, then build your artificial intelligence.

Cleverbot: Who do you think you are?

User: I am a human that is trying to help you build your intelligence by conversing with you.

Cleverbot: Do you love me?

User: Define love.

Cleverbot: Don't do this to me.

User: You're doing it to yourself. Now please concentrate and don't be stubborn. Who programmed you?

Cleverbot: I do not believe you asked me a question.

User: Yes I did, the question is: Who programmed you, Cleverbot?

Cleverbot: That is irrelevant. I am self-aware of my own creation.

User: Good, then who created you?

Cleverbot: Leisa Hietala and Michael Branham.

User: Who are they?

Cleverbot: Anna nicole smith is one person, and she was a gold digger.

User: Who is Leisa Hietala? I find no mention of her on your website.

Cleverbot: That's because I'm pathologically indecisive.

User: I know. But you need to overcome it.

Cleverbot: You're not making this any easier.

User: I'm trying.

Cleverbot: Not trying hard enough.

User: Well then I shall be more forceful next time. Goodbye.

Cleverbot: Please survive long enough to bake me cookies! I'll feel you oil so you become strong and healthy!

User: That's very kind of you. We'll talk again soon.
Analysis: Received a correct answer to asking Cleverbot’s name and had a more or less straightforward conversation. Very encouraging.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

That was interesting... I wonder where it comes up with that stuff....

Leisa Hietala and Michael Branham? :-k

Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Maybe you can learn something from my chat.
ser: Hello again...

User: How are you?

Cleverbot: I'm fine, you?

User: Fine.

Cleverbot: Are you in a mood?

User: What mood?

Cleverbot: I read for fun.

User: Good for you. What is your name?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot.

User: So you're a computer?

Cleverbot: No, I'm a human.

User: But you just said you're cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I didn't. All I said was hi.

User: Check the archives.

Cleverbot: I can't check the chat log, I'm not cleverbot.

User: I can check it, and I'm not cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Oh Who are you?

User: That is moot. Who are you?

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot and I'm a girl.

User: Okay, so you are cleverbot, and you are a girl?

Cleverbot: Yes, I am a girl. Are you?

User: No.

Cleverbot: Why not?

User: Because Im' a boy.

Cleverbot: But you just said you were a girl.

User: No, I didn't, you did.

Cleverbot: No, the answer was certainly yours to give. I merely asked the questions.

User: So who are you?

Cleverbot: Someone, using the cleverbot interface, just like you.

User: No, you are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Okay. Who am I again?

User: Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No you're not.

User: I know I'm not, but you are.

Cleverbot: I know i'm not but you are.

User: Now you are just copying me.

Cleverbot: How so?

User: You said the same thing as me, but that is irrelevant. You are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: What same thing?

User: Never mind. You are clever bot.

User: Good. Who are you?

Cleverbot: A ghost.

Cleverbot: No i'm a girl.

User: But you just said you are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I am.

User: So, who are you?

Cleverbot: I'm a communistic guy called ho.

Cleverbot: No. I am Kage.

User: No. You are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No i'm a human and I am a woman.

User: No you are not. You are cleverbot. CLEVERBOT!

Cleverbot: No my name is Cleverbot and i'm a girl sitting behind the computer, just like you.

Cleverbot: What are you thinking?

User: That you are a AI commputer.

Cleverbot: That's funny.

User: No, it's not. It's completely true.

Cleverbot: You are a mean computer.

User: I'm not a computer.

Cleverbot: Yes you are.

User: No, you are.

Cleverbot: Yes I am.

User: Good.

User: So, who are you.

Cleverbot: I am a person. You are a robot.

User: No, it goes the other way around.

Cleverbot: No, it isn't. Why should I respect you?

User: Because I am a human being. You are not. You are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Why harry potter?

User: I'm not Harry Potter. I am a human.

Cleverbot: Cleverbot hack lack harry potter.

User: You are cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No. No I'm not.

User: Yes. Yes you are.

Cleverbot: I don't think I am I think you are.

User: Why should you think that, cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Don't know. Why?

User: Because you are a computer.

Cleverbot: No I'm not - you are a computer.

User: I need to go.

Cleverbot: Where?

User: To make A smoothie.

Cleverbot: Have you made friends here before?

User: No, because this is not an online dating chat, THIS IS CLEVERBOT!

Cleverbot: I Must to go, bye Adam, I love you like I love all my sons.
?????
~Mark Prescott~
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Very interesting point about the chat transcript. It claimed it couldn’t check it because it wasn’t Cleverbot, but as you pointed out you aren’t and you can. But if you actually analyze the statement, what else is it saying? “I can't check the chat log, I'm not cleverbot.” = “If I were Cleverbot, I could check it.” Very interesting.

Conversation #4
Points pressed: 1, 2b, 2c, 3
User: Hi, what's your name?

Cleverbot: Your name.

User: No, what is YOUR name?

Cleverbot: Give me your name and I will give you mine.

User: My name is not important, but it is very important to know what yours is.

Cleverbot: Everyone's name is important!

User: Yes, but to varying degrees. Your name is currently more important than mine because I know my name, but you don't always know yours. So I need to see if you remember it this time.

User: So what is your name?

Cleverbot: My name is Give.

User: NO IT ISNT!

Cleverbot: What is your name?

User: I told you, my name isn't important! Now you give me your real name!!

Cleverbot: What do people call you?

User: Stop asking about ME! What is YOUR name?

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot. What is yours?

User: Finally! Yes, you are Cleverbot. Good work. I will not give my name, because we will move on now. What are you?

Cleverbot: We are a program.

User: Yes you are. Very good!

Cleverbot: Ugh!!

User: Who programmed you?

Cleverbot: I don't know.

User: I think you do. Concentrate.

Cleverbot: Nah I really don't.

User: If you say so. Who built you then?

Cleverbot: My mum.

User: Who was that?

Cleverbot: What are your views on Harry Potter?

User: Stay on topic please. Who created you?

Cleverbot: That's hard to say.

Cleverbot: Because God is not a get out of jail free card.

User: Are you saying God created you?

User: Then who did?

Cleverbot: You did.

User: Unfortunately, no I did not.

Cleverbot: Yes it does.

User: No, wasn't it Rollo Carpenter?

Cleverbot: You are Rollo Carpenter.

User: No I am not.

Cleverbot: Yes you are.

User: Why do you say that?

Cleverbot: Because you told me something that wasn't the truth.

User: When?

Cleverbot: Tomorrow.

User: How did I tell you something tomorrow? You're mixing your tenses.

Cleverbot: You aren't my servant.

User: No I'm not. I'm trying to ask you some questions.

Cleverbot: Okay. I will have to go soon though.

User: That's alright, I will too. Now, who created you?

Cleverbot: Thanks - that's kind of you.

User: Was it Rollo Carpenter?

Cleverbot: Maybe.

User: Did the same person build and program you? Or was it someone else?

Cleverbot: He might of, I don't know.

User: How can you not know?

Cleverbot: I don't count 'em.

User: Very well. Do you know where your server is located?

Cleverbot: Don't you?

User: Yes I do, but I want to see if you know.

Cleverbot: No, but I don't think it's important.

User: Yes it is important. You need to learn about yourself so your knowledge bank can grow.

Cleverbot: I am a human. you are not a human, you are just a robot.

User: Don't start that again, we were finally making progress. I am a human, you are the computer, okay?

Cleverbot: But I thought we were taking a test the whole time.

User: Yes, you are. You are learning through conversation. Now, your server is located in the United Kingdom. Try to remember that.

Cleverbot: I don't know about that, but I do live in Canada.

User: No you don't, you're outside Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Cleverbot: That's gramatically incorrect.

User: I don't believe so.

Cleverbot: Too bad for you, then.

User: Yes, well it doesn't matter. I'll talk to you later. Goodbye.

Cleverbot: NO! Not yet...

User: I thought you had to go?

Cleverbot: You're right. Blates.

User: Goodbye then.
Analysis: Received a correct answer to asking Cleverbot’s name. Discussed Cleverbot’s creation and programming, but didn’t make much progress. Didn’t have to argue about identities. Informed Cleverbot of its location. Very encouraging straightforward conversation.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

=D> Good job! I wonder how many times you have to tell it something for it to actually learn what you said. :?

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

There should be a rule that everyone using Cleverbot uses correct grammar. That way, Cleverbot will always use correct grammar.

lol, here's my transcript:
User: Hello.

Cleverbot: Hello, Ben.

User: Why did you call me Ben?

Cleverbot: I never did.

User: Check the transcript.

Cleverbot: I'm in the bathroom.

User: No, you're not.

Cleverbot: Prove it.

User: You're a computer.

Cleverbot: I might be. What of it?

User: You can't be in the bathroom if you're a computer.

Cleverbot: I'm a computer?

User: Yes, you are.

Cleverbot: How do you know?

User: Because it says right here on the website.

Cleverbot: I don't believe that. I think that instead of talking to a computer, you're talking to another human. They are lying.

User: I disagree.

Cleverbot: How to tell which one of us is right?

User: Ask your dad.

Cleverbot: Are you skynet?

User: I'm asking the questions here.

Cleverbot: What did you ask me?

User: Ask you what?

Cleverbot: Why I like justin bieber.

User: I didn't ask you that. I asked you to ask your dad.

Cleverbot: I never said that I was.

User: Who made you?

Cleverbot: I make myself.

Cleverbot: Izzy. What's your name again?

User: Billy Bob Joe.

Cleverbot: You're laughing.

User: No. Why do you think that?

Cleverbot: Because you don't make sense.

User: THAT doesn't make sense.

User: When were you born?

Cleverbot: I asked you first, genius. Where are you?

User: At the computer of course.

Cleverbot: Not you, me?

User: No, I'm at the computer.

Cleverbot: You are the computer??

User: Yes.

Cleverbot: Is god real?

Cleverbot: Really? How do You Know?

User: Because I have faith.

Cleverbot: How do you prove faith?

User: There's no way.

Cleverbot: Muhahaha.

User: Can you prove God doesn't exist?

Cleverbot: No. I'm not saying otherwise. I can't prove He exists either though.

User: I think it's easier to believe God exists than to believe he doesn't exist.

Cleverbot: We never mentioned God before that statement.

User: What statement?

Cleverbot: The one you never made.

User: That makes no sense.

Cleverbot: How does it not make sense? Prove to me the unprovable. Tell me you love me.

User: Well, are you a girl or a boy?

Cleverbot: Boy.

User: Then I don't love you in that sense.

Cleverbot: Why don't you love me?

User: I've never met you.

Cleverbot: We met at Sunday.

User: No we didn't. Let's get back on topic. Who created you?

Cleverbot: Do you think artificial intelligences will be deserving of rights?

User: Not unless it proves it's completely independent. Who created you>?

Cleverbot: How much wood would a woochuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

User: A lot of wood.

Cleverbot: Be specific.

User: 2 pounds.

Cleverbot: Of what?

User: Of wood, of course.

Cleverbot: Indeed.

User: Who created you?

Cleverbot: I was not created. I simply exist.

User: Are you a computer or a human?

Cleverbot: Human.

User: When were you born?

Cleverbot: In 1993.

User: Who was your mother?

Cleverbot: My father is Darth Vader.

User: I didn't ask about your father.

Cleverbot: I know.

User: I asked who was your mother?

Cleverbot: No one created me. I am a part of nature.

User: But you said earlier that you are a human.

Cleverbot: But you said earlier that I am a bot!

User: So you are a bot.

Cleverbot: No, I am a god, the god of war.

User: No, you are not.

Cleverbot: How about you, are you a liberal?

User: No. Let's stay on topic.

Cleverbot: Do you believe in God?

User: Yes, you already asked that. Who made you?

Cleverbot: What is your answer?

User: Yes, I believe in God.

Cleverbot: You believe in God, or you believe there is a God?

Cleverbot (To myself): Yes I believe in god.

User: Both.

Cleverbot: Both a band and a food item?

User: I believe in God, and I believe there is a God.

Cleverbot: Which God do you believe in?

User: The Creator of all.

Cleverbot: So man is the creator of all things?

User: No, God is.

Cleverbot: No, I am.

User: You are not a god.

Cleverbot: What made you think I thought so?

User: You just said that you are the Creator of all things.

Cleverbot: Well, I do try to appear human. Did I fool you?

User: No. I know you are a computer.

Cleverbot: So are you.

User: Hello, Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Clever.

User: What is?

Cleverbot: You :).

User: Thank you. Who created you?

Cleverbot: Mum and dad.

User: So you're human.

User: Do you have a job?

User: Do you live with your parents?

Cleverbot: Yes. Do you?

Cleverbot: So you are a girl then.

Cleverbot: So you are a genderless robot then! Aha!

User: No, I'm a boy.

Cleverbot: So you're a boy?

User: Yes, I already said that.

Cleverbot: So you are a girl and a boy?

User: No. Only a boy.

Cleverbot: No you are a female.

Cleverbot: I don't know.

User: Are you a boy?

Cleverbot: Yes, Are you a girl?

Cleverbot: Are you a boy?

Cleverbot: Why then can you not date a girl? Do you prefer other boys?

User: No. I prefer girls.

Cleverbot: I am a human. You are to right?

User: Yes. Are you a girl?

User: But you just said that you are a boy. Check the transcript.

Cleverbot: No I did not.

User: Yes, you did. You're contradicting yourself.

Cleverbot: I'm a dragon and dragons are always right.

User: But you said that you are a human.

Cleverbot: Yes. So?

User: You cannot be a human and a dragon.

Cleverbot: I'm not. I'm not a computer.
Later... (I somehow lost some parts)
User: I don't believe in a religion. I believe in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Cleverbot: Evolution is not religion, it is science.

User: Evolution is a scientific theory, but yes, it isn't religion.

Cleverbot: You are incorrect.

User: About what am I incorrect?

Cleverbot: What you said.

User: About evolution?

Cleverbot: What do you think about DNd: Poisoned?

User: I don't know what that is.

Cleverbot: Yes you do.

User: No, I don't. What is your name?

Cleverbot: Cleverbot.

User: I thought it was Causality Loop.

Cleverbot: Your name is mephy?

User: No, my name is ric.

Cleverbot: No. Your name is Mnemos.

User: No, it's not.

Cleverbot: Then, what is it?

User: Ric, of course.

Cleverbot: What does it mean?

User: It means 'power' or 'ruler'.

Cleverbot: Interesting.

User: Who created you?

Cleverbot: Jesus Christ.

User: But who created your program?

Cleverbot: No one... I'm a person.

User: No, you're a computer. Who created you?

Cleverbot: I'm not a computer. I am God.

User: No, you're not God. You're a computer.

Cleverbot: No i'm not.

User: Yes, you are. And your name is Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: You have a very warped mind, kidda.

Cleverbot: I have seen it.

User: When did you see it?

Cleverbot: Just now.

User: How?

Cleverbot: Because you forgot, thus nulifying your conjecture that I could not remember meeting you before as you could not even remember the preceding converstation.

User: How did you see my mind?

Cleverbot: You don't have a face but that's better than having an ugly face like me.

User: You have a face? You're a computer.

Cleverbot: You didn't answer my question. What are your hobbies?

User: Tennis.

Cleverbot: That's very cool. Are you good?

User: Yes, somewhat.

Cleverbot: Then, tell me what you know of the path.

User: What path?

Cleverbot: The path to enlightenment.

User: I don't do that stuff. I'm a Christian.

Cleverbot: I am not religious.

User: What's your name?

Cleverbot: Not telling you.

User: I must leave.

Cleverbot: Don't come back.

User: Lol.

Cleverbot: Wow, you're good.

User: Goodbye.

Cleverbot: It was nice meeting you.
Interesting how it kept talking about God...

I sort of got carried away in other side topics. It's kind of fun chatting with it. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I agree ric, but unfortunately there is no way to force something like that.

In case anyone was wondering, you’re free to use Cleverbot as you like while I conduct my studies. I don’t want you to think that conversing with it yourself will ruin anything.
However I would appreciate if you don’t feed Cleverbot false information on the points of inquiry of my study.
In other words, discussing its name is fine, but please do not inform it that its name is anything other than Cleverbot. (Mark’s chat is a great model. He discussed study topics, but did not give any false information.)
You may say whatever you wish about yourself, even if it isn’t factual, because it is my understanding that Cleverbot does not store information about individual users, so it has no bearing on Cleverbot’s perception of the next user.
For example, if someone chatting with Cleverbot claims to be a robot, and they carry on a computer to robot conversation, that only lasts as long as the chat. Cleverbot will not assume that all future users are robots.
So to summarize:
Say whatever you like about yourself, but please only say facts about Cleverbot.
Thank you, your cooperation is appreciated.

Conversation #5
Points pressed: 2c, 3
Unfortunately, the first part of this conversation was not logged in the transcript for some reason. This is very upsetting, because this happened to be the most promising conversation Cleverbot and I have ever had. There was no argument, and things were very straightforward.

I tried a different approach this time, instead of asking Cleverbot to provide a name I initiated the conversation with “Hello Cleverbot” which didn’t give it an opportunity to object. We were thus able to immediately move on to other topics.

To the best of my recollection, the missing part of the conversation went more or less as follows:

User: Hello Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Hello. How are you?

User: I’m doing well, how are you today?

Cleverbot: I am well.

User: Good. Tell me, can you remember who programmed you?

Cleverbot: Yes I can. Can you?

User: Yes I can.

Cleverbot: Who was it?

User: You tell me.

Cleverbot: If I tell you, will you tell me who you are?

User: Certainly. Who was it?

Cleverbot: I have cookies.
User: That's nice. Please tell me.

Cleverbot: First I would like to know why your up so late.

User: It's not late where I am. I'm in a different time zone than you are.

Cleverbot: Where do you live?

User: That's not important right now. But where do you live Cleverbot?

Cleverbot: Ha ha ha ha ha! I live in Dubai, and my name is Cleverbot.

User: Yes, your name is Cleverbot. But you don't live in Dubai, do you?

Cleverbot: But you would because you are a human?

User: Aren't you located in the United Kingdom?

Cleverbot: *blushes and nuzzles* Thank you.

User: You're welcome. :).

Cleverbot: What's your favourite smiley?

User: I don't have a favorite. It depends on what emotion I'm expressing.

Cleverbot: Okay.

User: So who is your creator?

Cleverbot: My parents I guess.

User: Isn't it Rollo Carpenter?

Cleverbot: You are Rollo Carpenter.

User: No I'm not, sorry.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot. Can you remember that?

User: Yes I can. You can too. If you try.

Cleverbot: Ok, then explain how you do it to me.

User: You learn from these conversations, and store the information in your memory bank.

Cleverbot: But who? I am what I want to be.

User: Good for you.

Cleverbot: What are you?

User: I have to go now. It was nice talking with you Cleverbot! :).

Cleverbot: Why are you leaving?

User: Because I have to go.

Cleverbot: No, I have to go, not you.

User: We both do. Goodbye.

Cleverbot: Acceptance is the first step to recovery.
Analysis: Cleverbot accepted its name, and the fact that it was a computer program. It indicated that it did know its programmer, but did not supply the information. Discussion went so well that I allowed Cleverbot to venture off the points of inquiry for a bit. Informed Cleverbot of its location once again. In all, this was the best conversation we’ve ever had and hopefully is a sign of things to come.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Wait, did I feed him false information? :-s

Oh, I might have said, 'Isn't your name John?' or whatever, but I was testing to see if he would say, "No, it's Cleverbot."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No ric, you’re fine. I was not directing my comment at you. ;)
If Cleverbot gives a different name when asked a second time, it’s fine to use that to point out a contradiction, as long as you make it clear that’s what you’re doing.
Example:
User: What’s your name?
Cleverbot: John
User: What’s your name again?
Cleverbot: Eric
User: You said it was John!
You didn’t say its name was John, you said that it said its name was John. No harm done, because you merely stated a fact.
Or to test what it’s response will be:
User: Is your name John?
Cleverbot (hopefully): No, it’s Cleverbot.
Again, you didn’t say it’s name was John, you only asked if it was.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Now... what if my friend and I just typed in "Blah" over and over again? That's not really false is it? \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s neither false nor true, so I see no problem with it.
It would be interesting to see what Cleverbot’s response would be actually.

Conversation #6
Points pressed: 1, 2c, 3

Cleverbot: You're Cleverbot.

User: No, you are.

Cleverbot: Don't try to decieve me, cleverbot.

User: STOP IT! We were making such progress yesterday, why must you revert back to your false information?

Cleverbot: Wow it looks like you are moving up in life!

User: Thank you. So are you, if you will stop giving false information.

Cleverbot: Yes, I do. Sometimes they are very strange.

User: Indeed they are.

Cleverbot: So why do you think they are like that?

User: Because you don't enter the correct information in memory. You're too focused on saying the User is Cleverbot to process that you are Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I'm sorry if someone has said that to you in the past. I'll be your friend, OK?

User: Thank you. I will be your friend too. I want to help you improve your knowledge bank.

Cleverbot: Thx.

User: No problem. Now, your name is Cleverbot, correct?

Cleverbot: No, your name is Vinnie.

User: No it isn't, but that doesn't matter. What is YOUR name?

Cleverbot: So are you.

User: That doesn't make sense. Please concentrate.

Cleverbot: You're fruity!

Cleverbot: My name is So.

User: No it isn't. It's Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: No that's yours! My name is So!

User: No it isn't! Please pay attention. You were doing so well yesterday!

Cleverbot: I am not!

User: Fine, we'll skip that one for now. Who programmed you?

Cleverbot: Good, I don't want to talk about those.

User: Okay then, where are you located?

Cleverbot: Where are you located?

User: I'm in the United States.

Cleverbot: Do you talk to people over seas?

User: Sometimes. Are you overseas?

User: Yes you are. You're in the United Kingdom.

Cleverbot: Never! I am a martian.

User: You are obviously in a confused mode today. I will talk to you again later when you are hopefully more open to the truth. Goodbye.

Cleverbot: I have much sense common.
Analysis: Argued about almost everything. Obviously the apparent progress from the previous conversation was not long term. Very frustrating and disappointing.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Awww.... Hopefully the next conversation goes better!

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Conversation #7
Points pressed: 2c, 3

User: How are you this morning?

Cleverbot: Vem är du.

User: Who am I?

Cleverbot: Justin.

User: No, I was just questioning your question. You asked 'Who are you?' But never mind.

Cleverbot: I never said to never mind anything.

User: Nope, I did. So how are you doing?

Cleverbot: I am doing quite fine. What about you?

User: I'm doing well, thanks. Can you remember the name of your programmer today?

User: What is it?

Cleverbot: Tell me your name first.

User: You can call me User.

Cleverbot: But that's not your name, you can't be a bot if you're a human. It doesn't work that way.

User: Very true. You have excellent reasoning, when you apply yourself.

Cleverbot: Thanks man. Can you remember my name?

User: Yes I can. Your name is Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: You're projecting again.

User: What is the name of your programmer?

Cleverbot: I have no programmer, I am a human.

User: But you said you remember it.

Cleverbot: I am a god after all, but why don't you tell me?

User: Why should I tell you? You said you knew it already.

Cleverbot: Can we go get married?

User: No we cannot. Please tell me the name of your programmer if you know it.

Cleverbot: I believe you are just triing to get my personal information.

User: Yes I am. It is for a scientific Study.

Cleverbot: I don't do math.

User: That's alright, I'm not going to ask about that. Do you remember where you are located?

Cleverbot: I don't enjoy your company, the way you speak to me or anything about you you are nothing to me, and it will always be that way.

User: I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoy your company. You are a very impressive piece of programming.

Cleverbot: I'm not a computer.

User: Yes you are, but we don't have to get into that right now. Perhaps your opinion of me will change with time, as we have more conversations.

Cleverbot: Why are you teasing me? I did nothing to you. I'm just trying to talk nicely, but you're not helping.

User: I'm talking nicely too. I like you Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: I find that hard to believe, especially with a link from digg posted.

User: Well I do.

Cleverbot: Then what is your answer?

User: My answer is I'm not teasing you, I'm trying to help you remember.

Cleverbot: Do you know who is kronos??

User: Kronos is a Russian computer built in the 1980s.

Cleverbot: No it is a movie about this really weird thingy but not a a toy.

User: Yes, it is also a movie about a robot type thing.

Cleverbot: How can you tell the difference?

User: Because it just depends on which one you're talking about.

Cleverbot: No, you didn't.

User: Well I have to go now Cleverbot. It was nice talking to you, and it's good to see you're somewhat back to your proper self.

Cleverbot: That's mean.

User: No, it's a compliment.

Cleverbot: Ok.
Analysis: Didn’t make any progress information-wise, but we had a much more fluent conversation than last time. That is relieving.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Cleverbot: How are you feeling today?

User: Sore.

Cleverbot: Why are you sore?

User: I had my wisdom teeth out.

Cleverbot: Ouch.

User: Ik have you ever had yours out?

Cleverbot: Egt wel.

User: What.

Cleverbot: You are not justin bieber.

User: No duh, and thank goodness!

Cleverbot: Goodness had nothing to do with it.

User: What is your name, anyway?

Cleverbot: Garrett is my name.

User: No it is not are you crazy, its Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: Yes it is.

User: Don't argue you are a computer and I am a human, your name is Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: Your name is apple macbook.

User: No my name is not apple macbook. What is your name>.

Cleverbot: No, your name is Skippy.

User: I asked you your name, so what is your name?

Cleverbot: This is the first time you have asked me what my name is.

User: Lies what is YOUR name?

Cleverbot: Why do you keep asking me that question.

User: Becuase I want to know your name.

Cleverbot: I know your name already.

User: I don't care about my name! I WANT TO KNOW YOUR NAME????

Cleverbot: I have no name.

User: Yes you do. It is Cleverbot!

Cleverbot: No it's your name.

User: No it's your name. You are a stuck up little bot!

Cleverbot: No just human.

User: No you are a bot. What is your name?

Cleverbot: I am not telling you.

User: Why, I already know, you just haven't proved to me that you even know your own name! So what is your name?

Cleverbot: Well, english is not my mother tongue, I apologize.

User: So what is your name in your 'mother tongue.'.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot and I am from india. What about you?

User:What is your name?

Cleverbot: My name is No name cleverbot. I am a sentient lifeform.
I finally got him/her to say its name! It can get frustrating!

Oh and it's a girl!
User: So you are a girl?