Football Pool III

Ran by SWA until Ryder takes over.

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

Hey guys, unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to run this weeks football pool (I'm gonna be outa state). So, if Top or Bookworm could take over this weeks pool I would really appreciate it... Let me know AS SOON AS YOU READ THIS as to whether or not you'll run it for me so I can send you the entry money!
Knight Fisher wrote:EDIT: Wow sorry we spammed the thread so much Ryder.
That's alright :P

San Francisco at Detroit
St. Louis at Green Bay (LOL, this should be good :lol:)
Carolina at Atlanta
Indianapolis at Cincinnati
Buffalo at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Pittsburgh
Philadelphia at Washington
Houston at Baltimore
Cleveland at Oakland
Dallas at New England
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Minnesota at Chicago
Monday:
Miami at NY Jets
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
Steehl
Not Implemented

Post by Steehl »

San Francisco at Detroit
St. Louis at Green Bay (BLOWOUT ALERT!)
Carolina at Atlanta
Buffalo at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Pittsburgh (BLOWOUT ALERT!)
Houston at Baltimore
Cleveland at Oakland
Dallas at New England
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Minnesota at Chicago
Monday:
Miami at NY Jets
Go Celtics \:D/!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

San Francisco at Detroit
St. Louis at Green Bay
Carolina at Atlanta
Buffalo at NY Giants
Jacksonville at Pittsburgh
Houston at Baltimore
Cleveland at Oakland
Dallas at New England
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Minnesota at Chicago
Monday:
Miami at NY Jets

EDIT: Just saw your post, Ryder... I nominate bookworm. >_>
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

And it’s time once again for bookworm’s weekly referee rant.
This week’s featured game is Saints/Buccaneers.
Last play before the two minute warning, a Tampa player makes a crucial catch. Check that, I mean it’s called a catch. It was clear that the ball hit the ground, so I don’t know why it was called a catch, but no worries New Orleans challenges. They’ll take a look at the replay, watch as many angles as they need to see the play clearly, and make the correct call, right? Oh wait, this is the NFL.
They take a look, and come out saying the call was confirmed. Not only that it stands, but that it was confirmed!
I can understand making the wrong call on something like that in real time, but after you take your time looking at replay it’s unacceptable.
If the ball hits the ground during a catch, it’s incomplete. You have to have the ball controlled in your hands or against your body. It’s as simple as that. But, once again, what should be simple is beyond the comprehension of the referees. For some reason ‘between the arms’ equals ‘against the body’ to the official.
The Tampa player didn’t press the ball against him at all, he just wedged it between his arms. That does not equal possession. Then he went down and the part of the ball between the arms hit the ground. That ends the play as an incomplete pass.
Now, I know the point about whether the ball moves or not, but that doesn’t apply in the situation. That’s for if they have control of the ball and it hits the ground; if it doesn’t move, that’s how you determine they maintained possession. But in this play he never had possession to begin with, so whether the ball moves or not the ground causes it to be incomplete. And besides, he fell on top of the ball, so it wouldn’t have moved anyway. If he had curled his arms after wedging the ball to press it to his body, that would be a catch, but just keeping them out like he did was not.
Again, missing details like that on the field might be understandable, but to make the wrong call after checking the replay makes you wonder how in the world these guys got their jobs.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Ehem, it has to be absolutely, indisputable evidence that the call on the field was wrong.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:Ehem, it has to be absolutely, indisputable evidence that the call on the field was wrong.
For the call to be overturned, yes.
But what really made me upset here isn’t that the call wasn’t overturned, I can understand how it might not have been strong enough for that. The point is that the official had the audacity to say that the replay “confirmed” the call on the field, when it clearly did not. If there’s doubt, but it’s not strong enough to overturn, you say that the call ‘stands’, but he said the call was “confirmed”.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

No it doesn't matter what happened. You can say either there is no difference.

Steehl-11!
Top-10
Knight Fisher-10
Bookworm-9
SWA-9
Ryder-8
AE-8

Steehl wins because the double digiters picked the Jets. Congrats on an amazing week Steehl!
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:No it doesn't matter what happened. You can say either there is no difference.
Utterly incorrect.
Just about every other time there’s an official review the commentators elaborate on the difference, I don’t know how you’ve missed it.

If there was indisputable proof it was wrong the call is overturned.
If there was indisputable proof it was right then they announce the call was confirmed.
If there wasn’t enough proof to overturn the call, but not enough to say it was definitely right, they announce that the call stands.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:No it doesn't matter what happened. You can say either there is no difference.
Utterly incorrect.
Just about every other time there’s an official review the commentators elaborate on the difference, I don’t know how you’ve missed it.

If there was indisputable proof it was right then they announce the call was confirmed.
If there wasn’t enough proof to overturn the call, but not enough to say it was definitely right, they announce that the call stands.
They do not have to use those exact words.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Utterly incorrect.

They do not have to use those exact words.
Yes they do, that’s why the words are different!

Edit:

KF, your tallies were off.
The correct standings:
Steehl - 10 correct
American Eagle - 9 correct
The Top Crusader - 9 correct
Knight Fisher - 8 correct
Ryder - 8 correct
Stop Wooton' Around - 8 correct
bookworm - 7 correct

You had the winner right though.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Oh snap, the ref called it "confirmed" when he should've said just "stands"!! :shock:

#whitepeopleproblems

Meanwhile, lots of kids won't get any food today. I don't know why you feel the need to complain every week.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Because I have the desire for rules to be enforced. I’m one of those strange people that prefers when things are legal. I apologize if that offends you, but I do not apologize for my posts.
And it’s a rather blatant fallacy of non sequitur to insinuate that because I want games to be played by their rules I must not care about hungry children.
The Top Crusader wrote:It's like the poster saying Steve Jobs died and millions cried, but NO ONE cries for the millions of kids who starve to death every day... >_>

It's taking two random things that really aren't related and trying to make a profound point.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

lolz I never paid my money this week, should I just give it directly to Steehl?
Steehl
Not Implemented

Post by Steehl »

Thank you, thank you! *takes bow* Let the streak begin!
Go Celtics \:D/!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:lolz I never paid my money this week, should I just give it directly to Steehl?
Are you sure? Ryder gave me enough to cover everyone and I sent it on. So if you never paid, you should send it to Ryder.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Well, last weekend was a fail. :P Onwards we go!

San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina (let's go, Cam...)
Atlanta at Detroit
Seattle at Cleveland
Denver at Miami (Tebow time! I'm starting him in my non-ToO fantasy team \:D/)
Houston at Tennessee (this game could decide who wins the division)
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Green Bay at Minnesota (LOCK)
St. Louis at Dallas
Indianapolis at New Orleans (LOCK)
Monday:
Baltimore at Jacksonville

So, who should I give my monies to?
Last edited by American Eagle on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina
Atlanta at Detroit
Seattle at Cleveland
Denver at Miami
Houston at Tennessee
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Green Bay at Minnesota
St. Louis at Dallas
Indianapolis at New Orleans
Monday:
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

San Diego at NY Jets
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Washington at Carolina (Yeah win for me in the Fantasy League! ;))
Atlanta at Detroit
Seattle at Cleveland
Denver at Miami (That's because I already picked him up. \:D/ )
Houston at Tennessee (Yes it could.)
Kansas City at Oakland
Pittsburgh at Arizona
Green Bay at Minnesota
St. Louis at Dallas
Indianapolis at New Orleans
Monday:

I'll just give it to Ryder.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

AE, pay to Ryder. I think he’ll be back for this week’s. And pretty bold locks there. ;)

KF, you didn’t pick WAS @ CAR
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Whoopsy! Fixed.