Paradise Series - Ted Dekker

Have you read it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Iron and Light wrote:Dekker is an excellent writer, however there are times when his writing seems a bit forced, well, rushed. It also tends to peeter out towards the end. His first books (Showdown in the Paradise novels, Black in the Circle series, etc..) are the best, and the next two get progressively worse. It was all I could do to force myself to read White. I haven't read Sinner yet, but don't really have that high of a hope for it :(. I really liked Showdown and Black, though. I've read Skin and House. They were neat. I've gotta say, though, that I'll be glad when his whole 'circle' series is done with. It gets more than a bit frustrating trying to keep up with how in the world they're all connected.

On a side note, I got the book 'Adam' for Christmas and it was AWESOME. I can't wait to read Eve.
Sinner wasn't his best. :( There was like, no action and suddenly it was all political. I was saddened.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

*Drools on the computer at the mention of the Paradise novels* :bounce: Ah! They're the most amazing books in the world! Showdown and Sinner are my favorite ones! Saint was kind of 'meh' but they all were the best peices of goodness I have ever seen!

I mean, they brought into existence Marsuvees Black, [Drum roll, anyone?] and he is just the basis of all things cool and amazing. The best evil guy ever.

Though, I have to agree: Sinner was a little confusing and O.o but I loved the ending! [Random: Samuel is awesome!] I never saw the thing with Kelly coming! I almost started crying when she well--[spoiler! not sure how many people have read it, so I won't say] But for those who have, you know when Kelly @@@@ and Johnny started @@@@. I was crying. And I never, EVER cry.

Saint. I loved the ending-I also almost started crying then to. Samuel! No!

I got Sinner the day it came out, and I got the signed limited edition! [From CBD-letter inside and all!] It's my most prized possession in the book department. Wheeee for Ted Dekker!
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Jellyfish11 wrote:Sinner wasn't his best. :( There was like, no action and suddenly it was all political. I was saddened.
But y'know, it was the year 2030 something, so he's making a good point with it. If people don't straighten up, that's how it might turn out. Kind of a foreshadowing, if you ask me. Very well done.

I enjoyed it immensly. The storyline, amazing. I wish he would've done more with Kat, though... Oh well. I like how she was smiling, even after....

Does anyone think that Johnny=Johnis, Billy=Billos, and Darcy=Darsal?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I_<3_Kaka wrote:
Jellyfish11 wrote:Sinner wasn't his best. :( There was like, no action and suddenly it was all political. I was saddened.
Does anyone think that Johnny=Johnis, Billy=Billos, and Darcy=Darsal?
Yeah. :) Black called them that, didn't he?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Metaknight wrote:
I_<3_Kaka wrote:Does anyone think that Johnny=Johnis, Billy=Billos, and Darcy=Darsal?
Um.... He called Billos Billy, Johnny's mom recognized Johnis (Black might've called him by name, too), and.... Darcy just sounds like Darsal. :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

I_<3_Kaka wrote:
Metaknight wrote:
I_<3_Kaka wrote:Does anyone think that Johnny=Johnis, Billy=Billos, and Darcy=Darsal?
Um.... He called Billos Billy, Johnny's mom recognized Johnis (Black might've called him by name, too), and.... Darcy just sounds like Darsal. :-
Unless Dekker just felt like making similar name; they're definitly connected. How? Man, I can't wait untill Green comes out, though I will settle for the last two in the Books of History series [the ones for young adults. Who else here loves the first 100 pages of Chaos? I want a cherry red chevy!]
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Ben Linus wrote:
I_<3_Kaka wrote:
Metaknight wrote:
Unless Dekker just felt like making similar name; they're definitly connected. How? Man, I can't wait untill Green comes out, though I will settle for the last two in the Books of History series [the ones for young adults. Who else here loves the first 100 pages of Chaos? I want a cherry red chevy!]
Oh my goodness, that was SO funny! Johnis kinda lost it there, haha.
Yeah, the last two, Lunatic and Elyon, are gonna be amazing - I just know it!
Do you guys know that the History books spell "Circle"?
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

\:D/
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Metaknight wrote:
Ben Linus wrote:
I_<3_Kaka wrote:
Metaknight wrote:
Oh my goodness, that was SO funny! Johnis kinda lost it there, haha.
Yeah, the last two, Lunatic and Elyon, are gonna be amazing - I just know it!
Do you guys know that the History books spell "Circle"?
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

\:D/
I know! It all started when he ate the Snicker bar... :badgrin:

Isn't that so cool? Marsuvees pointed that out to me and my expression was, " :dumb: " That's awesome! Just a little bit of a piece of the mind of Ted Dekker. I wonder if he planned that from the begining :-k
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Probably. They've mentioned that several times on his forum...

Oh! Guys, go to teddekker.com, check out his latest blog, scroll down - and you will find the first chapter of Green.

But be warned: Immense cliff-hanger... Perfect Ted style, of course, but a cliff-hanger nevertheless.
Love you always, SnC
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Cliff Hanger? I'd love to read it-but it would annoy me to no end..think I'll skip out on the spoiler this time.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Arwen wrote:SoC...? I probably should know, but I don't...Martyr's Song books (all four), are connected only to themselves, as far as I've seen.
In the back of SoC he says that the MS is sort of the... novelization of SoC. I liked Slumber of Christianity at first, but now it's just repetitive and that loses my attention quickly.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I ♥ Ted Dekker!

Carlos Missirian is my favorite character. :inlove: I have a thing for assassins.... Lol.

The Ghost of Aeva
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ben Linus wrote:*Drools on the computer at the mention of the Paradise novels* :bounce: Ah! They're the most amazing books in the world! Showdown and Sinner are my favorite ones! Saint was kind of 'meh' but they all were the best peices of goodness I have ever seen!
*gasp* Saint was the bestest book EVER! :x
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

The Ghost of Aeva wrote:I ♥ Ted Dekker!

Carlos Missirian is my favorite character. :inlove: I have a thing for assassins.... Lol.

The Ghost of Aeva
My goodness - we're getting more and more alike every day. :p
I also have this thing for Marc at the end... :inlove:

:anxious:
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Jellyfish11 wrote:
Ben Linus wrote:*Drools on the computer at the mention of the Paradise novels* :bounce: Ah! They're the most amazing books in the world! Showdown and Sinner are my favorite ones! Saint was kind of 'meh' but they all were the best peices of goodness I have ever seen!
*gasp* Saint was the bestest book EVER! :x
Meh. It didn't really hold my interest; Englishman made it worthwhile. [Englishman was in that book, wasn't he?]. The ending made me want to cry-poor Samuel!

But still-All around, I'd prefer to read Showdown or Sinner both of which I finished in one day.
The Ghost of Aeva wrote:Carlos Missirian is my favorite character. I have a thing for assassins.... Lol.
Agreed. Carlos was a favorite, and when he 'morphed' into Johan, he was even better. Johan [am I spelling this right? I can never do it correctly], Carlos and...er, what was the name of the Roush who did the karate? Michael and...grr. Well, that bat is a favorite to.

Though, Marsuvees Black is better then all of them put together.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I'm about to finish "Blessed Child" and it was pretty good. I got the first four Lost books for Christmas, and haven't read them yet. I was just wondering though, how are they related to the other books in the History Chronicles? I mean, what order should the different parts of this collection be read in? Or are the Lost books, Circle Trilogy, and Paradise books really not that related?
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

They're all related, but they can be read in pretty much any order. My recommendation is to start with the Circle Trilogy, which will give a basic understanding for the rest of them. Then either read the Lost Books or the Paradise series, whichever one you want. My understanding is that Paradise and Lost are both related to Circle, but not as strongly related to each other.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
The Court Jester
I've been here a bit

Post by The Court Jester »

Iron and Light wrote:Dekker is an excellent writer, however there are times when his writing seems a bit forced, well, rushed. It also tends to peeter out towards the end. His first books (Showdown in the Paradise novels, Black in the Circle series, etc..) are the best, and the next two get progressively worse. It was all I could do to force myself to read White. I haven't read Sinner yet, but don't really have that high of a hope for it :(. I really liked Showdown and Black, though. I've read Skin and House. They were neat. I've gotta say, though, that I'll be glad when his whole 'circle' series is done with. It gets more than a bit frustrating trying to keep up with how in the world they're all connected.

On a side note, I got the book 'Adam' for Christmas and it was AWESOME. I can't wait to read Eve.
I agree. I had a hard time reading the Circle series towards the end. I really really wanted to know what happened but it was getting kind of boring.. though that might be partly because I read them all in a couple of days.

Thr3e is probably my favorite, it was my first book I read by him; couldn't put it down!!! I also enjoyed Blink quite a bit. and the Blessed Child book was really good, and the second one that goes with it was alright.

Is skin the desert book? The one with the creepy face on the front of it? I really didn't like that one. I didn't finish it either, I am sure there are twists and turns I missed by not reading all of it but I had the bad guy figured out pretty quickly and found it quite boring. I like to give books their fair share of time to decide if I like it or not, and I usually end up finishing a book that way.. but not this one.

I have Showdown with me, but don't have the time nor the want to read it until i've got the others to read with it. haha, wow I didn't realize that he was writing so many books. I'm not worried about being able to get ahold of most of them, My aunt owns quite a few, :P and what she doesn't my other ones do.
Hahaha My Motto: ;)

Matthew 10:39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Dallas R. wrote:I'm about to finish "Blessed Child" and it was pretty good. I got the first four Lost books for Christmas, and haven't read them yet. I was just wondering though, how are they related to the other books in the History Chronicles? I mean, what order should the different parts of this collection be read in? Or are the Lost books, Circle Trilogy, and Paradise books really not that related?
The Circle Trilogy is "first", the Lost Books pop in during a 14 year time leap in the CT, and the Paradise novels are after, around the year 2030... The Circle Trilogy is a good one to read first, but the Lost Books and Paradise novels don't matter. In fact, you could read Sinner before the other two(Showdown and Saint), then get the backround story and go "ooooh!". ;) But the Lost Books need to be read in order. And it doesn't matter if you read the Lost Books before the Paradise ones, or vise-versa.
Welcome to the ToO, by the way!

You didn't like Skin? :shock: I loved it. I was even inspired to mix mayonaise and mustard on a sandwich, once. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

I_<3_Kaka wrote:
You didn't like Skin? :shock: I loved it. I was even inspired to mix mayonaise and mustard on a sandwich, once. \:D/
After all, Mustard is good for the brain.