ATTN: AIO Adventure Club episodes discussion with Brock

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

And I understand that too. There's a lot at play. From a business perspective though, my concern is that they might lose money if there are a lot of people like me. I can't afford that cost, and now they will be getting only one album worth of money from me instead of two albums worth.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

darcie wrote:I'm guessing this is some sort of stop-gap for a loss of revenue? I mean, they just let Bob from the podcast go, not sure what other staffing cuts have been made but a bunch.
In reference to a FB status Leonard posted
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'd love to see the actual numbers, but I'm guessing that Odyssey is one of the few ministries of FOTF that actual brings a profit.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

whittaker96 wrote:
The Old Judge wrote:@Bren: What do you mean "released" him?
Hey Bren, could you clarify this?

But here's my response, which I already posted:
http://odysseyoutofcontrol.blogspot.com ... -open.html
I was the one who suggested the tier system. I thought it would give people more of a choice what to spend their money on. Why not offer everything separately and then just add on what you want.

Exclusive episodes=$20.00

Exclusive content (interviews, whatever)=$10

Streaming=$10
And if you buy all three it's only $35.00 A YEAR!

Something along those lines. I'm willing to pay some extra money to keep Odyssey running but I don't think it's fair to make AIO fans pay for other ministries as well. I'm willing to pay up to $25 an album (right now I pay $16 through Amazon). They just need to be reasonable with this. Also I still want hard copies. I have all albums on cd plus all the cassette albums that have the wrap around segments. I love having the physical product in my hand. I hope I will be able to get these exclusive episodes in a hard copy album to put next to my other ones.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

WindowWasher wrote:
whittaker96 wrote:
The Old Judge wrote:@Bren: What do you mean "released" him?
Exclusive episodes=$20.00

Exclusive content (interviews, whatever)=$10

Streaming=$10
And if you buy all three it's only $35.00 A YEAR!
I would definitely buy something more like this, but I'm not a fan of the whole $180 for one exclusive album.

Quote tags fixed -Woody
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I posted a VERY long comment on there. Hopefully, it helps. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I posted a VERY long comment on there. Hopefully, it helps. :)
Very, very well said JF. :)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Thanks, Jonathan. I've been sitting on it for a while - since I heard about the fee a few months ago. I just finally had a place to say it. Actually, the family part came to me as I was writing. I didn't even hit on the parts about us older listeners who don't have money to drop like that, but I think other people covered that pretty well too. Hopefully, what I said, what we all said, will make a difference. :) BTW - do you know WHERE it was stated the money was for missions? I think I saw you comment about it, Jonathan, but I have no idea where that info came from. :)

I signed up for the email alerts today also, so maybe we'll get more info there. I tried not to tear them apart too much, and I hope it didn't come across that way. I know people have been working hard on this, it just seems like logic went out the window with this one...I'd LOVE to know the thought process behind it, that's for sure!

EDIT: Here's a repost of it for non-fb users
As someone who has listened to AIO for the past 20 years, owns every single episode every produced, and even had a podcast dedicated to it for 5 years, I can honestly say, I'm disappointed with the route Focus has taken with the AOC. AIO has always been about family, and teaching kids (and adults) how to live a more godly life. Sure, there's lots of fun and adventure along the way, but that was always the underlying theme. How many times have we heard Chris, Whit, or Dr. Dobson, or the executive producers tell us to "get the whole family together and join us for another Adventure in Odyssey," Or warn parents that they may want to listen with their kids due to the content of a show, or talk to them about what they heard? Every single episode has at least one of those factors in it.

So what?

So now, instead of being geared towards the family, it is geared towards people who can afford it. It isn't available for everyone, only those who have the time and the money to hear it. This idea took something that was available to anyone worldwide, and limited it to those with $180 worth of spare change. What about those kids (like me) who only got AIO on Christmas or birthdays, or those who save up all their money to buy just one album, or who don't have a radio station that plays AIO in their area? Now you are telling them they have to pay even more to get one episode a month? And pay HOW MUCH for it? Even it if was $3 a month, that is still $36 for one album. Your target audience is supposed to be kids 8-12. I don't know many kids that have $36 to spend like that, much less $180, nor do I know many parents willing to drop that much money on something that will have their kids spending MORE time on the internet and computers. Like I said before, AIO is supposed to be about families and getting together as a family - how is online only/no download keeping people together? Instead of listening at breakfast, or in the car, it separates everyone into their own space.

I also feel like this has become about the money, instead of the ministry. I saw somewhere that the proceeds go to missions. If that's true, great, but what missions? Who decides that? How much of the proceeds - all of it, part of it, some of it? what? I'd rather give money to missions directly and know exactly where its going and how much the mission is actually getting. If the point of this new club is to give to missions, why not just skip the exclusive episodes and put a donate to missions button in the site, then you can still make new episodes and make money on them too.

This turned something that was open to everyone in order to bring the Gospel to the world, and encourage and strengthen families into a clique that a very small minority can even afford to be a part of. Cliques are divisive and hurtful. (There was even an AIO episode on them called "Something Cliqued Between us") They cause animosity, discontentment, and strife. If you want this to be about the kids, then make it something that kids can afford, that their parents will be happy to contribute to, and that will help bring them together as a family instead of divide them on both monetary and popularity fronts. (Refer back to "A Good and Faithful Servant," where the Barclay's teach their kids about good stewardship and budgeting. Can you honestly tell me that $180 a year for 12 episodes is good stewardship?)

I'm all for exclusive content and behind the scenes interviews. I love them! I also understand that Focus is under money constraints, but if this is all going to missions, I'm not sure how this will relieve that pressure. Others have said enough about the canonicity of albums, so I'll leave that alone for now. I hope there is some way that this can be resolved that makes everyone happy. It just feels like somewhere along the way, the point of AIO and its target audience got lost. I hope that isn't the case, but if it is, that it gets fixed soon. I love all of you guys, and pray for your ministry daily. God bless! Sarah
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

Apparently this is also available on mobile devices though too.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Sarah, they had a video about the club as a bonus for Album 57 and it stated "A portion of club proceeds will support partner organizations, and outreach efforts around the world".
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Skylerbuck wrote:Apparently this is also available on mobile devices though too.
only iOS, no other platforms (Boooo) I guess they don't look at the market share charts
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I saw the video right after I posted. Thanks though! And apparently you get Clubhouse also?

jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Was there ever a response from Brock on this?

I agree with the tier system. I have not read back up on this issue in a couple of weeks. I would be willing to pay the price of an album to get the free streaming of the OAC eps, but I would be more willing to pay for them from iTunes so I "own" them as well as just being able to listen once. I too would eventually prefer them in hardcopy to be uploaded to my computer and spread to my personal devices at will. I own only one (well two if you count the ancient one with the turning wheel) iDevices, not interested in more, but I use my off brand mp3 and mp4 players ALOT more and change out the content frequently.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

No, to my knowledge we did not get a response. In fact, based on the few things he has said since that discussion started, I'd say he's not listening. Because of that I'm working on a letter to Dave Arnold, with Jim Daly and Brock both Cc'd.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Well, frankly I hope that if anyone on this list is in the club (though it does not sound like it) that they would at least post titles and summaries and not just teasers of the OAC eps so we can at least keep up in spirit and not be lost when the mainstream eps air. It is not the same thing as hearing them, but it is something.

-- 15 Oct 2013 07:29 pm --

Has anyone gotten anything in email yet? I signed up but hav enot received a thing, not that it would change my mind, I just wanted to see what they said. I could not play the video in my country. I guess it only plays in the US.

-- 16 Oct 2013 10:37 am --

Just out of curiosity, you could take the number of members in this group, multiply that by $180 and then send it to Focus saying this is what they will be losing by making the club so far out of reach for most of us.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

My Email (no reply yet)

Dear Adventures in Odyssey,

My name is James a Moore III. I have been an AIO fan since I have been a young boy . Family portraits started when I was nine years old. Odyssey USA and Aio started when I was ten. I have loved the show and everything about it. I have grown up with it. I am thirty six and unmarried with no kids yet I love Aio and keep up with it and listen to every episode. I have the complete guides and read websites and listen to podcasts and enjoy episodes and behind the scenes info. Aio is a great ministry and blessing to many. It has touched many lives. It has touched my life. I love listening to episodes online and on the radio and on my iPods. I love listening to Aio. They make car rides better and go by faster and interesting . I listen on walks and to pass the time. It is very good.

There has been plenty of concern and worry over this new AIO adventure club. I know a lot of people and fans are not happy about this new idea and are writing in to share opinions. I understand Aio needs more money and its great focus wants to share money with missions and ministries around the world.

I have some concerns. I have been part of an Aio message board for many years. I have been hearing for the new club and many people are on the TOO. They are concerned as well . People will pay $ 15 a month and $ 180 a month. If they do this , they can hear any episode at any time and listen to exclusive episodes. The only way to listen to twelve new episodes a year is to pay that money . If 24 episodes a year are made as it has been the last few years , the ones in the club are the only ones who can hear them. Many will miss them. These are tough economic times for many. Many people will not be able to afford this luxury of joining the club. This is not right. I hope y'all change your mind. Many good Christian parents struggle just to Make ends meet. Some make sacrifices to send kids to Christian school or college . They make sacrifices in other ways to raise children up right in The Lord. Aio is a good way to do this. I wish y'all would reconsider this. Please make all episodes available for everyone. Please make this change. Please don't make episodes only for those who pay a fee for exclusive episodes. Please let everyone be able to hear all episodes. This would be good. Thank you and God bless

Focus on the family and adventures in odyssey is about the family. Aio has blessed many families and people for twenty six years. Many gather around the radio to listen to episodes. My family did. Aio Episodes make car rides go by faster and better. Children know how much time is left on car trips by how many Aio episodes are left to listen to. Many listen to Episodes on radio, tape, cd, iTunes, iPods, computers and more. It is such a great ministry and blessing for many. It touches millions.

In the old days, phil Lollar and Paul McCusker wrote all the stories. There was a lot less episodes. I can understand why there was over 40 new episodes a year. They were good. They were also tired and worn out. And as time went on , there was less episodes made a year as there was a lot more episodes. I was happy when Aio reruns aired five nights a week. I can understand why there is usually just two albums and 24 episodes made a year. I listen to them all on radio and iTunes . I put them on my iPod.

Aio is about the family and ministry . It seems like charging people for episodes and making them exclusive is not about the family. It is a shame to many if Aio is now charging people to listen to episodes. Kids cannot pay $ 180 a year. And they are paying that much for 12 new episodes. That's $ 15 an episode and month. Yes, they can listen to any episodes but that's beside the point.

Do you think kids can afford to pay that much money to listen to these episodes and join this exclusive club? Parents are Also being very careful with money and cannot afford luxuries. This is really not far to many. It's not fair to make exclusive club and episodes. It's not fair to many fans and families especially the kids. They save for episodes and this is harder for them.

They will miss out of episodes and storylines and more. This is not fair. They will be upset. Mommy, what did i miss? What all happened? Why can't we hear all the episodes on the radio like we used to? why do we have to pay to hear certain episodes ?? why cant we be rich ?? why cant we have more money ?? This will hurt yall, not help yall.

Please please reconsider this. Please please change your minds. Please don't make exclusive episodes only those who pay money to can hear. This is not right or Fair. Please Change your mind and make all episodes for all like always and put 24 new episodes on the radio a year .
12 new episodes is not enough.
Please change minds.

J Moore III

Adventures In odyssey,
To focus on the family,

I have been a faithful loyal listener since the beginning and love AIO. I listened to Family Potraits and Odyssey USA
I would like to talk to y'all of this new odyssey exclusive club . I am a member of the town of odyssey message board, the too. There has been many concerns and complaints about part of this. I would also like to join this and send a letter of concern and plead with y'all to change minds about this. Please don't do this. Y'all are going to make listeners pay $ 15 a month and $ 180 a year to join this exclusive club and listen to exclusive episodes. That sounds wrong. Y'all made this program mostly for eight to twelve year old kids. I doubt kids can pay that to listen to this. So they need their parents to pay for this. And sometimes Christian parents are not rich.

Sometimes they send kids to Christian school, making sacrifices. They cannot afford this luxury. We were excited to see of the launch part one and two. And now we have to pay extra money to buy episodes. Some parts sound cool. But it's not fair if some are not able to buy these episodes they miss out on half the episodes every year, an entire whole album , and story lines . Listeners will be cheated. This may alleniate many listeners and that is not fair to many. Nathan hoobler said the next year will be like this for sure and them they will see after that. Many hope y'all fail so y'all go back to the 24 episodes and two albums on the radio and digital downloads for anyone to listen to. Yes, I know the albums cost money. But that's less than $ 50 a year and we can listen to them on radio or the website for free. Some parts sound cool. It is cool to be able to listen to any episodes any time. Maybe that can be more money. But the exclusive episodes for the club sounds wrong. It is not fair. It leaves many out that cannot afforded it. And many kids need parents. Young people living at home is more than 50. % of the listening audience. Everyone deserves to listen to all the episodes without having to join an exclusive club to listen to exclusive episodes. Please reconsider this and allow every album and episode to be aired on the radio and online for free. Thank you very much.

J Moore iii

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

Can you honestly tell me that $180 a year for 12 episodes is good stewardship? - yes i can, i make money. i give a very good percentage to God. i budget i have no debt anymore at 29. I am in preparation for a lot of large choices to make in the next 2-3 years.

i can afford 180 a year i spend more than that on my hobbies. so, if it wont hurt my budget in any way i do not see how it isnt.

the question itself is subjective to the responder i agree. but if you dont make enough money... who's fault is that.. even teenagers can make money. my nieces bake cinnamon rolls for those operation christmas boxes that Billy Graham son is involved in... they are 5 and 8.. whats your excuse?
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Cbriggs45 wrote:Can you honestly tell me that $180 a year for 12 episodes is good stewardship? - yes i can, i make money. i give a very good percentage to God. i budget i have no debt anymore at 29. I am in preparation for a lot of large choices to make in the next 2-3 years.

i can afford 180 a year i spend more than that on my hobbies. so, if it wont hurt my budget in any way i do not see how it isnt.

the question itself is subjective to the responder i agree. but if you dont make enough money... who's fault is that.. even teenagers can make money. my nieces bake cinnamon rolls for those operation christmas boxes that Billy Graham son is involved in... they are 5 and 8.. whats your excuse?
I was trying to find a nicer way to say this but couldn't. So,

What about people who make less then you? What about those with student loans? Or those still in college? Or whose parents aren't wealthy? What about those parents with lots of kids and bills? What about those who are financially stable, but lack much disposable income?

What about those kids whose parents are in the ministry, that blessed vocation that is, in the majority of cases, not financially lucrative? Or what about missionaries?

You can afford it? Good for you. Now, stop looking down your nose at everyone else, take a big good step back, and look beyond your own situation there champ.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Cbriggs45 wrote:.. whats your excuse?
Excuse for me: Honestly, at age 21, my personal excuse isn't that strong, but it's legitimate. If you disagree, skip ahead to the next paragraph. Now, lets briefly look at it from my perspective. I'm a college student and watch money wherever I can. I put my tithe of about 200 to 300 a year towards campus ministries here. I can' afford to send over half of that to Focus every year. If I'm looking at recreational, money that I spend on online content, I split a netflix account with my brother so I pay $4 a month there. I also pay $5 for ad free Spotify. Total= $9 a month. What does that get me? Incredible amounts of video and music content that I will spend about 2 hours a day using. Then lets look athe OAC at $15 a month. Content I would use? 22 minutes per month of exclusive episodes, maybe 1 extra hour tops on bonus material. I realize, these reasons is fairly petty, but it still adds up. I mean, if I'm going to shell out $15 bucks a month, I'd probably use it to get data on my phone.

Okay, petty personal problems aside, lets look at the excuses of me ten years ago.

Excuse for a kid: I live in the country. We have 1 neighbor family with four kids, already tight for money because both of our families work on the same cranberry marsh and make very minimal income. Enough to get by and pay the bills, but it's still a minimal income. My personal allowance is $5 a month, unless I wash the car for a bonus $2. Still I'm not even halfway to enough. My birthday comes once a year. I get maybe $50, if I'm super lucky. But I'm still not to $180, even if I use every spare penny on this club. On top of it all, I'm 22 miles from the nearest town of even 800 people. I have literally no other means of making steady money. Maybe I take a monthly trip to my grandparents, and maybe I get five bucks each summer month helping bale hay. I'm still short! To make matters worse, even if I could afford the club, my dial-up internet won't let me play the episodes! (okay, so this might not be as big an issue for many kids anymore, but it still could be).
I'm an avid Odyssey fan, now virtually cut off from the Odyssey community. I've been a loyal fan, listening each night to the reruns on the radio, tuning in on weekends to see how the Novacom saga will end. (Wow! Has it really been ten years since the Novacom saga aired?) I've already been saving my allowance and birthday money to buy old albums of the show. Thankfully, my Grandma gets me the two new albums on my birthday and Christmas, but still owning only 6 albums total, I really want to expand my collection- in PHYSICAL album copy. I already have reruns on the radio. But I want the real deal. I want to go to the bookstore, pick out my new album, unwrap it as soon as I get to the car, just to look at the CD's. To smell that fresh, new AIO album smell. I get home, I put it in the radio and listen for five straight hours. Mitch is dead! NOOOOO! And the album stops. What am I going to do!!!!! If we're putting this back into terms with the OAC, I guess I wait around for an entire year for the next real album to come out, while other rich kids get to listen to new episodes year round; episodes that somehow can continue in continuity even though Novacom is rampaging the town of Odyssey and Connie is crying her eyes out after losing Mitch. :(

Wow. I really went off there. Sorry about that. But it's real. That was my story, or at least what it would look like were it brought to the present. And I know other kids will be in similar spots. I also know we've all vented similar concerns, myself included, but it felt good to put down a real story from real (former) kid.
Last edited by Dallas R. on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

Sure, I could afford it too. My issue is that the product is way overpriced. Some people will spend $140.00 for a pair of sneakers but as far as I'm concerned I'll never spend that much on sneakers even though I can afford it. To me, it's a poor investment, just like this new AIO club.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!