What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Wonderful Lonesome this morning, excellent book I loved it. I am now reading Miriam's Secret by Jerry S. Eicher. It is the first book in his Land of Promise trilogy/series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

Legend, by Marie Su. It is now my FAVORITE book. \:D/
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Just putting this out there for avid readers, there is an app (for iphone and android) that you can get called "Overdrive" and you can rent digital and audio books from your library, all you need is a library card. It is nicer than having to by the books on kindle or whatever, but there is a con to it as you sometimes have to wait for a book to be available, like a regular library.

ImageImageImageImage
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I love Overdrive! I use it for audiobooks mostly.

I've become pretty bad at actually sitting and reading, but I'm currently working on Unbroken, and Jon Acuff's new book Do Over.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Steward's 7th Edition Calculus book has been my latest "enjoyment." Really, in all seriousness I miss reading, but since I don't work at a library anymore and because of school, I don't read like I used to. I hope to get back to some reading this summer.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Miriam's Secret by Jerry S. Eicher last night, excellent. My only complaint is I have to wait until June to find out what happens next.:cry: I've started Dee Henderson's new book Taken.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm thinking about reading the Maze Runner books. I saw the movie and thought it was a pretty good/interesting watch...I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to read the books after I see the movies (because I'm likely to enjoy the movies better if I don't read the books....cuz we all know movies derived from books have a way of being a bit disappointing). =p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Taken by Dee Henderson, very good book. Up next for me is While Love Stirs by Lorna Seilstad. It is the second book in The Gregory Sister trilogy.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

snubs wrote:I'm thinking about reading the Maze Runner books. I saw the movie and thought it was a pretty good/interesting watch...I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to read the books after I see the movies (because I'm likely to enjoy the movies better if I don't read the books....cuz we all know movies derived from books have a way of being a bit disappointing). =p
TBH, the books disappointed me. For that reason alone I'd say to stick with the movies. I haven't seen more than a few minutes of it, though.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I personally really, really didn't like the books but heard so movie was good so... :shrugs:

Terry Pratchett - Going Postal. Around ten books left to read. :(
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

@Arwen and Knigh Fisher: Oh, really? huh. I don't usually hear that happening (books being worse than the movie). =p I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It was a fun watch and made me want to see the next one.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:I finished Taken by Dee Henderson, very good book. Up next for me is While Love Stirs by Lorna Seilstad. It is the second book in The Gregory Sister trilogy.
I'm looking forward to getting Dee Henderson's new book! I'm glad to hear that you thought it was very good. I have read "While Love Stirs" and enjoyed it, as well as the third book in the series. :D

I recently read "A Love Like Ours" by Becky Wade, the third book in her Porter family series. It was excellent, as were the two previous books in the series.

And now, on to the long-awaited post about Woody's book, which I have completed and enjoyed. :D It's a bit more on the science fiction side than what I usually read, but there were lots of plot twists to keep me guessing and to keep things moving along, and of course, the end of the book leaves you wondering what happens in the sequel! :mad:
Info for interested parties:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished While Love Stirs by Lorna Seilstad last night, very good. I have started Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun May 10, 2015 6:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

I am reading the series called The Shenandoah Sisters, by Michael Phillips.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:I have started Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell.
I loved that one, Laurie! It's definitely one of my favourite of her newer books. I really got a kick out of the main character! :lol:

I'm reading "Food: A Love Story" by Jim Gaffigan. He does stand-up comedy that's usually pretty funny and clean, from what I've seen (which is not nearly all of his stuff, as a caveat) and so when I saw this book on display at the library, I had to take it out! I haven't read that much yet, but I've already laughed a lot!
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I just finished 'Foundation and Earth' by Isaac Asimov, which was... great with a confusing ending.

Now I'm reading 'The Missing Kitten' by me and an English Textbook (for fun) and 'The Pursuit of Holiness' by Jerry Bridges
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Like a Flower in Bloom this morning. I loved it as it had (at least to me anyway) a Jane Austen feel to it. Up next for me is Now and Forever by Mary Connealy. It is the second book in her Wild at Heart trilogy/series.
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

I'm attempting to read The Princess Adelina. It's difficult though. Old English and so much dialogue. I think the whole thing is dialogue actually.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Now & Forever by Mary Connealy, it was excellent. I am anxious for the final book in that trilogy. Now I am reading The Midwife's Tale by Delia Parr. It is the first book in what I assume will be a trilogy: At Home in Trinity repackaged by Bethany House. Apparently this trilogy was originally published by St. Martin's Press as A Place Called Trinity.:roll: I confirmed that this afternoon when I saw the first two books on the shelf at the public library this afternoon.:cry: I wish I'd known that before I bought my copy although I love the cover of my copy.:D This is my first time reading Ms. Parr, so far very good.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Repackaging can be confusing sometimes. I like it when it says somewhere that it is a repackaged version of a previously released book.

I just read "Married by Christmas" by Karen Kirst and am currently reading "From Boss to Bridegroom" by the same author. I know the titles don't make them sound amazing ;) but they are both quite enjoyable reads! I've enjoyed all of the books that I've read by Karen Kirst. They're light enough to be a fun read but still with some depth.