The Dark Knight

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I saw it the other night, at midnight.

I liked it, definitely better than Batman Begins. Although, it's not my favorite. I just don't see the appeal that Batman has, apparently. I really do enjoy Christian Bale's acting, but his voice as Batman is just really stupid - in my view.

Ledger's acting abilities were infinite. It is sad he's no longer on this earth. His depiction as The Joker was really great. I enjoyed his character...It really is too bad that he won't be able to be in the next Batman movie.

I'd probably give it a 3 1/2 0r 4 1/2 out of 5 - I can't decide. I really did like it, but it just isn't "awesome."
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

I want to see it! It looks good....and it has broken the record of biggest box office weekend of all time with $155,340,000 this weekend and so far worldwide has made $195,340,000 in the past couple days. That's pretyy amazing. :D

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Sweetie
Found

Post by Sweetie »

I haven't seen it beacause it looks like a extremely dark movie.Its making tons of money and that must mean it's really good.I saw the trailer and it was amazing! Now that I know it's a good movie I'll try to go see it.I just don't like Jocker..he's so evil and dark.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

One more comment from someone else I was talking with about the movie... Dark Knight really isn't your typical superhero movie. In most superhero movies, there may be a lot of action and close calls, but you can almost always expect the hero to come through and save the day and all the "good guys" to be ok. With this movie, you don't really have that...you find in each dramatic scene, you really don't know what the outcome will be....which makes it really suspenseful (and, for me, creepy).
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I've seen The Dark Knight twice and plan to see it a third time too. What did I think of it? Let me first say that I am not familiar with the Batman television series, movies, or comics. Batman Begins was really my first introduction to the character. Compared to that movie, I thought much of the acting, effects, and general scope of the picture surpassed the first one. Heath Ledger gave a truly terrifying performance as the Joker. His portrayal of this demented and sick human being will definitely stick with you for awhile. The movie also raises some thought-provoking moral questions that it leaves for the viewer to answer. All praise aside, however, I did not enjoy this movie as much as Batman Begins. Perhaps it was because I was more familiar with the story, but this sequel is very serious, dark, and somewhat depressing. I tend to favor more serious movies, but this film left me exhausted. It takes you down and leaves you there and certainly earns its PG-13 rating. Had it not been for the rather grim ending, I probably would not have minded so much. The first movie seemed to have a more cohesive plot, better developed characters, and a more satisfying conclusion. But quibbles and complaints aside, The Dark Knight is still a stellar achievement by director Christopher Nolan.
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I didn't even know the simplest things about Batman (like the fact that he's one of the few superheroes who never actually had superpowers) before seeing Batman Begins. Since that's the case, I had nothing to compare this movie to, and I was able to completely appreciate it for what it was. This is one of the darkest, deepest movies I've ever seen, and the effects I've experienced from watching it last night still have not completely worn off. It was very well made, and the acting of Heath Ledger was superb. I think I understand now why it haunted him.

The only thing that stunk was going out to my car afterward and finding my MP3 player stolen. :(
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

I'm prolly one of the few who hasn't and prolly wont see this movie. Now it's not because I'm a Batman (or superhero in general) hater. We've seen Batman and Superman movies. I just feel that DC needs to move on. They have x amount of heroes which they could make a movie about. Like for example they could do any of the other Hero's in their new cartoon show Justice League or they could even do a Justice League movie. Thats just one small idea.

But anyways I'm just tired of Batman and Superman so I prolly wont see this movie unless my friends "force" me to.

Lord Sesshoumaru
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

^^as I've said I'm moreso a Marvel fan, so I'm biased, but I agree... DC has other characters that could make for a good movie. Marvel's Iron Man was never considered that famous outside of comicbook fans yet his movie has made over $300... I'm sure Green Lantern or Flash or whoever from DC could pull similar numbers if the right script was behind it.

They are working on a Justice League movie, though... although what I've heard isn't promising... and Watchmen is coming out, though while that's DC it's... different. ;)
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I just saw this today at the IMAX. This is all I have to say.

Wow. :anxious:

I might have to say that The Dark Knight may have been the best movie I've ever seen. (this coming from the girl who says Pride and Prejudice is her favourite movie)

Yes, it was dark, the morals in it were twisted and maybe wrong. But isn't that what human nature is? TDK was a very, very deep movie. One that will forever stick in my memory. Heck, it made me want to go and write an essay about just how sorry the state of the human race could be in, if we let it.

Heath Ledger did an AMAZING job as the Joker. I can't even begin to express how impressed I was with his acting. Christian Bale was wonderful, as were all the other actors who were in this film.

Seeing it in the IMAX was *definitely* an experience. Quite overwhelming at times :p

I pretty much know nothing about the Marvel comics, or the former movies. Batman Begins was the first batman movie I'd seen, and I'd never read any of the comics before. So for me, I have no preconceived notions or ideas about how the movies should be. And I must say...the two Batman movies are definitely on my list of favourites.

So yeah. I would LOVE to see it in the theater again. It's worth every penny. \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I loved it so much i hope that it gets lots of awards! Heath Ledger beats out all of the other Jokers. shame he's no more. I bet he will get an Oscar for that role. Never heard Mark Hamill doing the jOker though, so i don't know. i never saw batman Begins but i really liked this one! But Batman's voice just killed me. I wanted to whack him and say, "TALK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!!!!" but, you know, Bruce's voice was fine. :D HIghly recommend this movie!!!!!!
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I am going to see it this weekend in IMAX.. I can't wait!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Top, the Dark Knight DESTROYED The Incredible Hulk. This flick was the best comic book movie I've ever seen - and also one of the best crime dramas out there. Heath was amazing, and comic book movies, naturally, have to be movies. It's not a comic book, it's a movie. And I think if the creators of the comics made a Batman movie, they would want it to be like this - dark, intense, emotional, exciting - and not comic-bookey. See, the comic books can be dark intense and etc, because they're comic books, so the wakiness and style is expected. Movies are different, you have to change the style into real life. And honestly, I don't think any comic book creator would want their tales to become "comic-bookish" if adapted to the screen. They want people to focus on the world they've created, not the cheese factor.

Someone earlier said the morales were questionable.... are you serious? :-s Does every movie have to be Veggie Tales? I mean seriously, this is a crime story, an adaption of the comic books. No one walks in to be taught about how Jesus saved us all. They want to witness the story, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's disconnected to Christianity, deal with it. Not everything in our existence has to be Christian, that's kind of.... psycho. But then again, we have members on this forum who won't listen to "secular" music, so perhaps these words are lost on them. But even if I was going to look at Batman morally, the moral of the story is that Batman isn't a hero, he's a guardian of Gotham, completely selfless, brave, and just. It also touches on the dark, destructive nature of mankind , as well as the regard for others' lives in comparison to our own. That's about as good of a moral as you could ask for in a comic book movie. :-s
Last edited by xiao on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

xiao wrote:Top, the Dark Knight DESTROYED The Incredible Hulk. This flick was the best comic book movie I've ever seen - and also one of the best crime dramas out there. Heath was amazing, and comic book movies, naturally, have to be movies. It's not a comic book, it's a movie. And I think if the creators of the comics made a Batman movie, they would want it to be like this - dark, intense, emotional, exciting - and not comic-bookey. See, the comic books can be dark intense and etc, because they're comic books, so the wakiness and style is expected. Movies are different, you have to change the style into real life. And honestly, I don't think any comic book creator would want their tales to become "comic-bookish" if adapted to the screen. They want people to focus on the world they've created, not the cheese factor.

Someone earlier said the morales were questionable.... are you serious? :-s Does every movie have to be Veggie Tales? I mean seriously, this is a crime story, an adaption of the comic books. No one walks in to be taught about how Jesus saved us all. They want to witness the story, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's disconnected to Christianity, deal with it. Not everything in our existence has to be Christian, that's kind of.... psycho. But then again, we have members on this forum who won't listen to "secular" music, so perhaps these words are lost on them. But even if I was going to look at Batman morally, the moral of the story is that Batman isn't a hero, he's a guardian of Gotham, completely selfless, brave, and just. It also touches on the dark, destructive nature of mankind , as well as the regard for others' lives in comparison to our own. That's about as good of a moral as you could ask for in a comic book movie. :-s
*cheers* I concur \:D/

*almost spelled "concur" like "conquer"*
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Disco Ninja Monkey
Gold Member

Post by Disco Ninja Monkey »

Best Joker evurrrr.
'Nuff said.
Every time is hammer time.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

xiao wrote:Top, the Dark Knight DESTROYED The Incredible Hulk. This flick was the best comic book movie I've ever seen - and also one of the best crime dramas out there. Heath was amazing, and comic book movies, naturally, have to be movies. It's not a comic book, it's a movie. And I think if the creators of the comics made a Batman movie, they would want it to be like this - dark, intense, emotional, exciting - and not comic-bookey. See, the comic books can be dark intense and etc, because they're comic books, so the wakiness and style is expected. Movies are different, you have to change the style into real life. And honestly, I don't think any comic book creator would want their tales to become "comic-bookish" if adapted to the screen. They want people to focus on the world they've created, not the cheese factor.
Eh, I think I liked it more as a crime drama than a comic book movie. ;)

I guess... for me personally, to really get into it, it needed to have a *bit* more of a comic book feel, because it just made Batman seem out of place. Like the whole movie is serious except some guy is dressed up in a weird costume. Not that it has to be like the 1960's show with the POW! BAM! BIFF! punching effects. ;)

But the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were more fun movies. :noway:
I demand the next Batman film have the entire film be about Batman and Joker having a nice conversation in the park, no violence or anything, and at the end Batman shares the salvation message and Joker gets saved!!!! :x
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

The Top Crusader wrote:
I demand the next Batman film have the entire film be about Batman and Joker having a nice conversation in the park, no violence or anything, and at the end Batman shares the salvation message and Joker gets saved!!!! :x
And they have to ride on pink ponies into the sunset while eating cotton candy! :x
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I saw it twice--once at the midnight showing (the closing night of a conference our church hosted, unfortunately) and then again on Monday with my mom.

Honestly, I don't care for superhero movies at all period and only watched Batman Begins because I've loved Christian Bale ever since Newsies. I did end up loving Batman though, because he's not some weird super-human freak of nature; he's a regular guy with cool gadgets and big muscles... haha (well... and oodles of money).

I can't really compare it to anything else, since I haven't seen any of the other superhero movies.

However, I don't agree with the people who say "it's so dark." Well, I do. But comparatively speaking, I think the first one was a lot worse. The violence (save the explosions) is all implied (you don't actually see Joker cut faces or gunshot wounds). Sure, Two-Face is gory (Aaron Eckhart in an interview actually said when you look at Two-Face's makeup you should get sick to your stomach), but I thought the maggot-y type things in Batman Begins were a lot creepier and a lot more disgusting than anything actually shown in TDK. I figure if parents let their kids see Batman Begins, then they shouldn't have a problem with The Dark Knight. In addition, all the religious world view mumbo jumbo in the beginning of BB (forgive me, I can't be specific; I haven't seen BB since the Halloween after it came out) was a lot more questionable than the yin-yang type espousal of Gotham world view ("You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.")

I've never liked Heath Ledger, but there's no denying his portrayal of the Joker was absolutely phenomenal.

And, sorry Top, but the "rookie mistakes" in the beginning are what made me love Batman (I totally typed that "Bathman...") so much: he's human.

I never thought of Bale's Batman voice as silly... it, of all things, seemed to fit the "comic book" feel to me. I did think it was silly that he continued using the "Batman voice" with Rachel and Lucius who both knew who he was.

I loved it. I absolutely loved it. I saw it twice and I'd like to see it in Imax at some point before it leaves the theatres...

And, nope, I don't plan on watching any other superhero/comic book movies any time soon...

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Also, I love the lack of CGI - this just proves that the whole "superhero movies need to be blockbusters with loud soundtracks, happy endings and lots of CGI fight scenes" mentality that movies have been taking up recently is completely false
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

I personally loved it, the acting was good, but like Top said, the lip licking got annoying after a while. It should have been a one time signature move rather than a constant thing. Either way the movie was great, the effects were very good, and like xiao said, the lack of CGI was satisfying as well. Seeing a movie with unrealistic fight scenes just doesn't appeal to me.
I liked the personalization of the movie too, getting inside Bruce, Harvey, and The Jokers head was very entertaining. And it was done in a sense to where it still kept the action rolling.
Unlike some other movies, where it designs a fine line between fight | emotion, e.g spiderman 3, this one really blended the two well.

All around, best movie of the year for me so far.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

I have to agree with what many toher are saying. The movie was amazing! probably the best I've seen this year! :D The acting was really good, except I didn't like the girl who played Rachel, but thats about it. They didn't rely on CGI effects, and had more of a real kind of feel to it. Heath Ledger is hands down the best Joker, and I'm glad they didn'y get Robin Williams or Steve Carrel, like they were thinking about doing. The movie had many morals in my opinion, that we can aplly to our daily lives. And personally, I agree with Mandy, the first one seemed way darker to me, for some wierd reason. :anxious: People have been saying that the Batman represents the devil, and theres demonic ties to the movie, and I don't see any of that (Except The Joker was freaky :anxious: ). Overall, Great Movie, and the ending was amazing! I hope if they make a third it will be the last. :- Just so they don't Batman with so many sequals.

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can