The Town Hall

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Fact = something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

Respect = full of, characterized by, or showing politeness or deference: a respectful reply.

Can you factually say that respect was not present? You now have the responsibility to prove that your claim that
The debates were getting unruly, disrespectful, and generally out of hand. Namecalling was rampant.
is true.
It's very clear by reading a number of the debates in there that there was often a major lack of respect.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

That, to me, is an opinion. In my opinion everyone was polite.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Fact = something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

Respect = full of, characterized by, or showing politeness or deference: a respectful reply.

Can you factually say that respect was not present? You now have the responsibility to prove that your claim that
The debates were getting unruly, disrespectful, and generally out of hand. Namecalling was rampant.
is true.
Kappa, I appreciate your wanting to think the best about people and assume that everything was debated respectfully, however a number of people disagree. They, along with myself, saw many instances of not only name calling but a general attitude of attacking the person rather than the idea at hand.

I would prefer not to quote specific instances here so you'll simply have to take the word of myself and others in authority.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Lord_Kappa wrote:That, to me, is an opinion. In my opinion everyone was polite.
Your opinion is wrong. :noway:
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

The Dorky Crusader, that's another opinion again, and in my opinion that opinion is wrong. :roll:

STYRPER, I guess my level of tolerance is just higher. I'm glad the board is getting clear rules so we can avoid this in the future. I just wish it wouldn't take so long! ](*,) Don't rush it though, it should be well done.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Now there's fighting about how there was fighting on the TH. Looks like things are going well! \:D/

I must agree with those who have stated that there was a lack of respect in general during the debates. Rudeness was almost continually present. There was one debate in recent memory that was cleraly noted in the thread as a good one, because, as multiple people pointed out, it was the only one in recent memory without rudeness and fruitless bickering. One thread out of so many doesn't seem like an acceptable percentage. Change doesn't happen overnight - you can just keep on fighting about that lack of fighting if you're that bored without the TH around.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

We weren't fighting. I had questions, they answered them.

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Lord_Kappa wrote:We weren't fighting. I had questions,
...that you posted in an argumentative tone >_>
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

It was a statement yes, arguments are made up of statements yes, the Bible is also made up of statements. Throwing emoticons into my post to clearly show that I'm not trying to fight is a bit ridiculous and rather ineffective. There is no clear way to show online that I'm not fighting.
As a rule of thumb, if I say something like "We weren't fighting. I had a question," It's an explaination, not an argument. "You are clearly mistaken, this question is simply answered by the fact that Johnathan started it" would be an argument.

Now this post was argumentative too wasn't it?

Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Im sensing that you guys will argue about argueing!
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Lord_Kappa wrote:It was a statement yes, arguments are made up of statements yes, the Bible is also made up of statements. Throwing emoticons into my post to clearly show that I'm not trying to fight is a bit ridiculous and rather ineffective. There is no clear way to show online that I'm not fighting.
As a rule of thumb, if I say something like "We weren't fighting. I had a question," It's an explaination, not an argument. "You are clearly mistaken, this question is simply answered by the fact that Johnathan started it" would be an argument.

Now this post was argumentative too wasn't it?
No, not that much :) Jonathan's post was more of a joke: almost sarcastic in nature.

Kappa, the more I see you post, the more you remind me of myself at that very age. I was never purposefully trying to be the trouble maker or anything but at times my posts we're "misunderstood," as I interpreted, to be more argumentative than I expected. Through time, maturity and a lot of God's grace, my debate posts gradually started to become more acceptable. I'm pretty sure I understand where you're coming from when you debate, but often times I have to look past the general tone of your post. For some reason, your tone rubs the wrong way with certain people even though your heart and mind do not succumb to its level.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Yes, Lord_Kappa, I'm afraid your posts have rubbed me the wrong way as well, especially your persistence on certain subjects that I didn't even care about, and weren't even slightly a relevant or in any way important issue. You seemed bent on crucifying me. That was probably not your intention. I think I did pretty well at not taking it personally, I tried anyways. :-k

So, people, the lesson is, it's really easy to take things the wrong way. \:D/
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Crucify WINDSHEAR! :lol:

Ok, I'm going to use way more emoticons. :anxious:

WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I don't know if it's the emoticons so much as the wording, but emoticons will definitely help smooth it out some, even if it doesn't fix the problem.

Good luck Kappa! \:D/
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Good luck to you, you're going to need it to escape me and my angry crowd that is bent on seeing you crucified. Mwuahahaha!
Thanks guys, I will deffinately keep this in mind when the TH, or Continental Breakfast Club, comes back.

Why couldn't the name be the Coffee House? In remembrance of the London Coffee houses which were the centers of discussions.

STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Good luck to you, you're going to need it to escape me and my angry crowd that is bent on seeing you crucified. Mwuahahaha!
emoticon lesson: you should insert a ;) there.
Lord_Kappa wrote:Why couldn't the name be the Coffee House? In remembrance of the London Coffee houses which were the centers of discussions.
That's not a bad idea :-k
Though I generally think of coffee houses as a place for light discussion ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Emoticons make it seem overall friendlier... usually. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

We should call the new board "The Killing Field".
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

The Top Crusader wrote:We should call the new board "The Killing Field".
:lol:

perhaps we should have a Town Hall or Coffee House or whatever just for debates, and have a Killing Field for just that, real serious killing! \:D/
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

The killing field sounds so violent, and it's not very asthetically pleasing, why not the Field of Gorgoroth? (Which is basically the same thing, Gorgoroth being in Mordor in LoTR.)

I hate appearences. :?