Here's something crazy...

AIO Games on USAToday.com home page?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Here's something crazy...

Post by shasta »

I didn't know "Christian video games" were such big news.

USA Today had this story online... and it was showing up on the USAToday.com home page for a while!
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ ... ssey_x.htm

The Washington Post had a story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00458.html

And a paper in CA:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/sale ... 005/04/22/

-shasta
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey, that's cool! I had no idea that secular sources actually discussed stuff like this, and by skimming through the articles, there seemed to be a fairly positive attitude towards Christian games. Thanks for letting us know! :D
Me
An original

Post by Me »

That's cool, but I'm not sure if I like such poor examples of games getting so much attention. It seems that if someone were to play the game without first listening to AIO, it would create a bad impression.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't played the new games, though I know that older fans weren't very impressed with them, but the first link (USA Today) gave the games 4 stars out of 5. :-s Maybe we're more critical than people who are unfamiliar with AIO.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I wonder if the other star was withheld because of lack of diversity or because of religious undertones. :anxious:
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Chandler wrote:I wonder if the other star was withheld because of lack of diversity or because of religious undertones. :anxious:
Loll...yeah, I read that too.

Man, what a bunch of maladroits...:sick:

BC
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Interesting....but I think this quote off of USAtoday's website is pointless.

Unfortunately, this title includes little racial diversity because the main characters are all white. Some secondary characters are Hispanic, but the title doesn't include any blacks, Asians or other diverse groups.

I don't think that it should have been said. Just because AIO didn't put some diverse group in doesn't mean we don't respect them! I think this quote is pointless.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

AIOfan11 wrote:Interesting....but I think this quote off of USAtoday's website is pointless.

Unfortunately, this title includes little racial diversity because the main characters are all white. Some secondary characters are Hispanic, but the title doesn't include any blacks, Asians or other diverse groups.
:thud:

Wow. That's absolutely ridiculous. :boohoo:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
AIOfan11 wrote:Interesting....but I think this quote off of USAtoday's website is pointless.

I saw that too. If that's their conclusion for this game...well then...[insert catchy, poignant phrase to make them realize their mistake....can't think of any right now.]
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I'm glad to see the AIO games receiving so much publicity :).
USA Today wrote:Unfortunately, this title includes little racial diversity because the main characters are all white. Some secondary characters are Hispanic, but the title doesn't include any blacks, Asians or other diverse groups.
I noticed that comment as well. While I wish the article hadn't said that, I am not at all surprised that it did. People get very upset about that type of thing these days.
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I know this is a little :offtopic: but, did they make Eugene younger for this game? I saw the picture in that article, but Eugene's not only shorter, but the reporter (or columnist I didn't see) said Eugene was a teenager. Is he? Am I wrong? Am I asking too many questions? Will the world ever be free of ham? Um... you can forget that last one.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I guess these games are supposed to have happened in the "Pre-Katrina" days. :- He's not a teenager "now". (Prolly somewhere in his mid-twenties.)
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Frank wrote:I guess these games are supposed to have happened in the "Pre-Katrina" days. :- He's not a teenager "now". (Prolly somewhere in his mid-twenties.)
Good point!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:

It is especially so since the main characters are from a long-established radio show. If they made Eugene African and Connie Asian in this game the people familiar with the show would be rather surprised. The show itself has certainly attempted diversity although the location of the town in a more rural area of a Midwestern state doesn't allow for as much diversity as a busy urban center would. The videos are more politically correct with at least one child representative of the groups named above. :-$
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Catspaw wrote:I haven't played the new games, though I know that older fans weren't very impressed with them, but the first link (USA Today) gave the games 4 stars out of 5. :-s Maybe we're more critical than people who are unfamiliar with AIO.
Naw, the people who reviewed it either weren't gamers, or didn't play the game all the way through. Judging by Shadowpaw's review, the biggest problems with the games were that they were so repetitive.

Grrr. Political correctness. The scourge of the earth.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Thats cool!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

That is so cool! Hm, makes me want to buy the games...
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Evil Chick wrote:That is so cool! Hm, makes me want to buy the games...
Yeah, it does. I know not to though =;
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

thats cool
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

Very cool. I'm annoyed by the diversity quote. But I think that's awesome. My dad's a Christian software engineer, this is good news for him. I repeat, for lack of other deep insight, very cool!