Life, Love, and Pretzels

My main project for my Creative Writing class

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Life, Love, and Pretzels

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, I thought I'd share this with ya'll, to get any comments or criticisms you may have. I really don't think this story is one of my best... I just threw it together for an exercise in class (which is the only reason certain events occur and elements are in there, because they were requirements of the exercise), but my teacher liked it a lot, so I figured I'd use it as my final project, where we revise one of our earlier works. This is draft two, which doesn't have much changed from the original really. So, like I said, I'm up for any suggestions that'll get me a better grade! ;)

EDIT: Boo! It took all my indentations out of it! ](*,)

Life, Love, and Pretzels

Fred and his long-time best friend Archibald made their way through the local mall, neither seeing much that interested them, but killing time none the less.
“This mall,” stated Arch, “has really gone downhill.”
“I suppose,” agreed Fred, musing at the massage chairs sitting in the center of the mall.
“It needs something cool. Like a gun store. I’d be here all the time if I could go to a nice, classy gun store.”
“A gun store? How often do you ever even use a gun?”
“Well, I went hunting a few times with my dad when I was a kid. I’m just trying to think of something creative…Matter of fact…” Arch’s voice trailed off.
Fred, surprised that his friend had stopped amidst such an important statement, turned to look at him.
Arch was vigorously starring far down the mall.
“Fred…” Arch finally whispered, as he raised his arm to point. “…look who it is.”
Fred sighed, trying to see what his friend saw. “It’s not polite to point… or stare. Actually…” Fred was then cut off in mid speech by what he saw.
“See?”
“Clementine,” spoke Fred. “Clementine…. Wow. It’s been years…”
Fred remembered it like it was yesterday. It was back in the days when Mountain Dew came in one color, WCW was the number one wrestling organization in the world, and rap music hadn’t yet infiltrated 90% of radio stations.
He had seen her on her first day at the school he attended. Immediately struck by her charm and beauty, he became determined to talk to her… he finally, after days of mental preparation and numerous failed attempts approached Clementine.
“Hi, Fred,” she had said. She spoke first! This would be even easier now!
Fred opened his mouth… his throat and tongue, so dry… he made a croaking sound.
Clementine looked at him oddly.
Finally, he managed to get words out of his mouth… “Hey… how’s it going?” Good! Progress! Well, not so good. He sounded more like Jabba the Hutt than himself. But at least he had spoken.
“Good, how are you?” She replied! She actually replied to him!
“Pretty good…” Okay, but still sounding like Jabba. He had to say something to make his mark, make her remember him!
And then, she walked away, sidetracked by her boyfriend, Robert.
But that was then.
“I thought she moved away…” stated Arch.
“Hence why it’s been years,” explained Fred.
“Oh, right. Well, you’re the one who’s madly in love with her. Go talk to her.”
“That was a long time ago,” glared Fred. “I’ve long since been over her.”
“Fine, don’t talk to her then. One less wedding I have to be in. …uh, you would ask me to be in your wedding, wouldn’t you?”
Fred didn’t respond, but stepped out from Arch and made his way through the crowd. After all, thought Fred, this could be his chance to redeem himself, to finally land the woman of his dreams and make amends for the fiasco in his past.
But, there she went. She probably hadn’t seen him, and either way, after all these years, she might very well not recognize him, anyway. So, clueless as to what was going on, she continued down the stretch of the mall. Fred carefully dodged and side-stepped slow moving mothers with strollers and elderly people.
Ever closer he approached… right on her tail! All he had to do was touch her shoulder, or speak her name, and all that lost potential from his youth would be brought to fruition!
“Hey, Clementine.”
She kept walking.
Maybe it would help to speak audibly, thought Fred. But this time, his voice didn’t plummet to comical, yet unappreciated, lows! He paused there in the mall for a moment, talking a deep breath. Maybe all that had happened before was leading up to this moment? Maybe that was just practice, and now was time for his destiny to be fulfilled!
Fred continued, newly rejuvenated! He had about reached her once again… when she stepped into Victoria’s Secret. He paused dead in his tracks. He didn’t want to go in there… and he thought it might not be best to approach her while she was buying new underwear, or something.
Fred starred absent-mindedly into the store, contemplating his next move.
Just like the days all those years ago… when Clementine was with Robert. Well, maybe not just like those days, but, Fred couldn’t help but remember when he and Arch would be spying on Robert and Clementine at basketball games in high school, and throw a pen at them if they felt they were getting too frisky…
But then, maybe that was the problem. He had always been so indirect! Now was not the time for being cautious! Now was the time for action!
Fred took a deep breath, and set foot inside the store. One step. Two steps. He might just make it after all! He scurried through the store, trying to keep an eye on her. Trying too hard to keep an eye on her. He collided with, and promptly toppled over with, a mannequin wearing the latest in women’s undergarments. The clatter drew the attention of nearby shoppers and an employee.
Had Clementine noticed? Fred quickly stood and looked her way. No, she was occupied. Good. The employee began complaining to him about how clumsy he was. Instinctively, he bent down and tried to help set up the mannequin… after a moment it dawned on him that this wouldn’t be conducive to his quest. He left the dumbfounded employee and looked around, pacing across the store. No sign of Clementine!
Fred quickly dashed from the store… to see Clementine walking away in the other direction.
Not too far away. He could catch her this time.
Just as he was once again about to reach her, a familiar looking man walked out of a nearby store, just as she passed.
“Clementine!” exclaimed the man.
She turned. “Robert? Oh, Robert!”
What a pleasant turn, Fred thought to himself, morosely.
Robert and Clementine embraced.
“Ah, it has been years, Clementine, my dear!”
“It has. Too long,” agreed Clementine, smiling.
“Still single?” asked Robert, with raised eyebrow.
“Well… yes.”
“Excellent!” Robert raised a fist in the air. “Then let us begin where we left off!”
“Oh, Robert!” she giggled.
The happy twosome walked away, leaving Fred starring dumbfounded at them.
“Heh, figures,” said a voice over his shoulder. It was, of course, the faithful Archibald.
“I was so close…” groaned Fred.
“Don’t feel bad,” consoled Arch. “I bought you a pretzel.”
And they continued on their journey through the mall, and Fred ate that pretzel. And, indeed, it was the greatest pretzel he had ever tasted.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

It seems as though I have read that story before... :-k
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

It's very nice, Top. I can relate to almost everything in it. Fred and I should form a club or something. A+
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Monday wrote:It seems as though I have read that story before... :-k
Yes, but this is the SPECIAL EDITION version! :D

Frank wrote:It's very nice, Top. I can relate to almost everything in it. Fred and I should form a club or something. A+
Thanks. :) Yes. Actually someone I know very closely was the model for Fred... :-$
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It sounds like you have a tragic story to tell, Frank. :(

I enjoyed the story, Top! It was amusing, and had enough of a surreal element that made me feel like it was a Top production! ;) Was the underwear thing a requirement? Because that's what we complain that there's too much of in AIO, and now it's in your story. I'm appalled, really. :shame: (Really! I am!)
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Hm. That does seem familiar. Maybe because I feel like I've lived that story before. :-#
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

That was...I'm speechless. Why is it everyone (including me) can relate to this story? :-k
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

I sorta can I think? :oops:
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Bearliz wrote:That was...I'm speechless. Why is it everyone (including me) can relate to this story? :-k
Because I am the People's Champion of authors, perhaps? :-k

Or maybe because you all shop for underwear, or like pretzels, or something... :shrugs:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

But what kind of pretzel was it? :-k Maybe you could say which flavour it was. Or not...
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

Great Story Top! :D Now I have to go write something! :-k
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Great story, Top! :D

Of course, I have to say that, or you'll have me imprisoned for life... ;)
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I'm glad ya'll like it (whether you want to or not). :)

Though I'm wondering if I should be concerned so many females identify with the lead male... :-k
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

The Top Crusader wrote:I'm glad ya'll like it (whether you want to or not). :)

Though I'm wondering if I should be concerned so many females identify with the lead male... :-k
Of course you should Top, I mean, with so many of us DESTRUCTIVE females running around, you should be pretty nervous. I mean, what does that say about your main carachter? He's destructed. :anxious:

Well, I'll stop now, I'm getting too tired for this.

Sarah
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

It was an awful story! :protest:

Feel any better? :rofl2:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Chandler wrote:It was an awful story! :protest:

Feel any better? :rofl2:
At least someone is sane here... :D
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

I've known for years that I'm insane. One more insane comment shouldn't make too much of a difference, should it?

Wow, great story! I'd love a friend like Archibald. Wait, I have a friend like Archibald. In fact, a few friends. And a few like Fred. You write my favorite kind of writing! I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll figure it out someday...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Jeremy Cartwood wrote:I've known for years that I'm insane. One more insane comment shouldn't make too much of a difference, should it?

Wow, great story! I'd love a friend like Archibald. Wait, I have a friend like Archibald. In fact, a few friends. And a few like Fred. You write my favorite kind of writing! I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll figure it out someday...
Indeed... sorrowful my biggest problem is I don't have a genre... :(
Jeremy Cartwood
Animatronic

Post by Jeremy Cartwood »

Oh well. No big deal. I just started writing a(nother) book and I have no idea what genre it is. Of course, I have no idea what the storyline is. Besides that uh... like I said! No idea!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, I like being genre-less myself, however publishers see things otherwise. :)