Your favorite AIO era?

Which time frame is your favorite?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which era is your favorite?

Early days: Whit, Tom, Connie, Eugene
7%
Jimmy, Robyn, Isaac, Lucy
38%
Whitless: Jack Allen, Jason, Edwin, Katrina
24%
Whit's back: Jared, Sarah, Julie, Liz, young Mandy
21%
Mandy, Trent, the Washingtons, Wooton, Leonard
10%

Total votes: 29

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Your favorite AIO era?

Post by KODY 105 »

Which era, or time period, of the show is your favorite? I'll start: my favorite is 4. Whit's back: Jared, Sarah, Julie, Liz, young Mandy.

I enjoy listening to Jared's antics. I loved "Sunset Bowlawater" where Mandy's goldfish narrates. This is the best era because Whit is back, and a whole slew of new characters teach us lessons! I'm sorry, but Jack got just a bit tiring after so many episodes. AIO is Whit's show, not Jack's!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Perron
Tallying up

Post by Perron »

For me it's a tie between the 'Early days' and the second option. For me it's enjoyable listening to the adventures of the kids (Lucy, Curt, Isaac, Robyn, Jimmy & Donna ect). But there's also something to be said for the episodes where it's mainly Whit, Connie and Eugene, and, of course, Tom and Bernard. Rather hard for me to say, but I'm going to vote for the first option. :)

Of course, it's not like I dislike the other 'eras', but they just seem... different. The old shows are my favorites, and they probably always will be. :)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I said number four. I loved those people, and so enjoyable. All before then were good also, but I liked those especially.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Early days: Whit, Tom, Connie, Eugene
Jimmy, Robyn, Isaac, Lucy

There's a lot of overlap in the first two categories. Except for Lucy, Jimmy, and Donna, kid characters were phased in and out, and there were a lot of Whit/Tom/Connie/Eugene centric episodes throughout both eras. It took about three albums to establish the first regular kids (Jimmy, Donna, Jack, Lucy, Robyn), but there weren't any major transitions until Whit's departure :(

If I had to break the first 20 albums into two groups, however, I would probably put the first 7ish albums in one category, and those 8 and after in another - mainly because album 8 introduced the mainstays Bart and Bernard, who - along with the also-new Rodney - added some new dynamics to Odyssey. That's still a little iffy, though...

In this poll, most of my favorite episodes can be found in the first three eras. After that, I have to re-adjust my perspective of and expectations for Odyssey.

Just my (very big) two cents \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Thanks LizzieG for your nickel. I have not broken down AIO into a science quite yet. I tried to generalize the eras that I broke it into.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I like to sort AIO into three eras. The first era; albums 1-20, the second era; albums 21-38, the third era, albums 39-present/50. (the third era could continue on or end after 50, I obviously haven't heard 51 yet, so I don't know, but there's supposed to be big changes after the hiatus)

On your scale that would be 3&4.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Ah, the Eras Discussion. This comes up every once in a while, totally worth it (better than "Where is Odyssey?" that's for sure).

My thoughts on the matter were originally posted here. To repost...

CLASSIC ERA
- Hal Smith as Whit
- Paul McCusker & Phil Lollar write majority of episodes
Nov 1987- Sept 1994
Episodes 1-281 (ends with "But Not Forgetten")
Volumes 1-21 (ends with Wish You Were Here!)

GOLDEN ERA
- Jack/Jason episodes
- Darkness before Dawn
Sept 1994- March 1999
Episodes 282-419
Vol. 22 The Changing Times thru 32: Hidden Treasures

DARK ERA
- Blackgaard's Revenge
- split episodes
March 1999-December 2000
Episodes 419-457
Volumes 33-35

NEW ERA
- Begins with Novacom Saga
- Eugene married
- Kathy Buchanan/Nathan Hoobler/Marshal Younger/Dave Arnold
Dec. 2000-present
Episode 458-present [458 is "Red Herring"]
Volume 36-present (note: Vol 36 was also when Gary Locke began doing cover art)

Jonathan had some ideas at this post, more thorough than mine...

thoughts?
-king shasta
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

My favriote period is between 1987 - 1995. I hardly ever listen to anything beyond that time period. :noway:
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I remember at some point posting my opinion on this topic, which I do enjoy reading, but I don't feel like reiterating what I previously said. However, I will say that sure I have favorite eras and we all do, but I also don't think it's fair to only listen to one era that you favor because then you miss out on the dynamics of the entire series. Sure I listen to some eras more than others, but I still enjoy listening to all episodes, at least once in awhile ;)
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

KODY 105 Cryin Brian Dern wrote:Which era, or time period, of the show is your favorite? I'll start: my favorite is 4. Whit's back: Jared, Sarah, Julie, Liz, young Mandy.

I enjoy listening to Jared's antics. I loved "Sunset Bowlawater" where Mandy's goldfish narrates. This is the best era because Whit is back, and a whole slew of new characters teach us lessons! I'm sorry, but Jack got just a bit tiring after so many episodes. AIO is Whit's show, not Jack's!
I agree. Although I've always enjoyed hearing most of the kids in AIO, Jared Liz, and Sarah's friendship made for some of the funniest episodes. :D
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I totally love the Whitless era! Jack is one of my favorite characters and of course there`s the whole `Darkness before Dawn thing in there!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Jennie
insert dash here

Post by Jennie »

Jellyfish11 wrote:I totally love the Whitless era! Jack is one of my favorite characters and of course there`s the whole `Darkness before Dawn thing in there!
Okay...

I liked the Novacom era...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I really, really like Whit... but I have to say, I loved the "Whitless" era most of all... ;) Jason and Jack in major roles was great, plus of course DBD. I don't know, I just thought that was where the writing really shined the most and they had some of their best stuff... a lot of it was actually somewhat "mature" and not directed only at kids like a lot of other eras tended to more often.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

TC wrote:I really, really like Whit... but I have to say, I loved the "Whitless" era most of all... ;) Jason and Jack in major roles was great, plus of course DBD. I don't know, I just thought that was where the writing really shined the most and they had some of their best stuff... a lot of it was actually somewhat "mature" and not directed only at kids like a lot of other eras tended to more often.
That is EXACTLY my thoughts! \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

"Whitless"... DBD ALL THE WAY!

So, yeah... But I think I would say every era is the best... I mean, I could pick parts from every era that I like. Can't we all?
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I said the 'Whitless' but then I love all Odyssey so it's really hard to pick. I think the best is Option 3, then Option 2, followed by Option 4, 5 and 1. But it's really really close...
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

I like the era with Jimmy and them. I am a Barclay Junkie like I have said before :D
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by greencardigan »

I'd have to chose option 4. I love all of the kids in that era.
Who do I belong To? Not Earth, Not world, Not Evil, Not mortals, Not wretches, Not horrors

Who do I belong to? Unchanging. Unbreaking. Unfailing. Creator. Immortal. Eternal

Surrender to the sound.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Donna Blackbeard wrote:I like the era with Jimmy and them. I am a Barclay Junkie like I have said before :D
If you'd have check your siggy you'd have known ahead on time! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

That was a hard choice because I like all eras--each have unique characters and situations to make the show interesting. I voted for the second, because that was the one I heard the most as a kid when I first became addicted to Odyssey.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth