Recycling

Another weird poll / thread by Gimp herself

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you recyle

Yes, it's a great way to make a little extra cash
6%
Yeah, but we just put our stuff in a bin next to the garbage and let the recyle trucks take it
41%
Occasionally if I need some money I'll take some cans in, but I don't do it often
6%
Yup, I live in OR (or another state) where you "have" to recyle to get your deposit back on the container
24%
Nope. Everything just goes in the trash
24%

Total votes: 17

gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Recycling

Post by gimp80995 »

So......do you guys recyle old pop cans / bottles? If so, do you take them to the recyling center for money or just set them out on the curb with the trash for the recyling trucks to pick up? If you do it for money, how much is the most you've ever made on one trip to the recyling center?

I'm currently picking up pop cans / bottles for recyling to get gas money for the remainder of my trip.......they're all over the place here.......in two days I have 1003 cans and 46 plastic pop bottles and I think 18 glass bottles.

I got fustrated trying to find odd jobs, so a freind of mine reminded me that when we were younger (from ages 7-12 mostly, but sometimes as teenagers) when we needed extra money we'd go pick up pop cans / bottles and turn 'em in for money......so I decided to give it a shot.

We had also done it (as teenagers) as something to do during summer........grab a bag (or several bags) fill it (or them) up with cans / bottles and then turn 'em in at the end of the day for cash..........but when I was younger I'd save 'em up for a few weeks or so until I had enough for whatever I was wanting (or until mom said our back yard looked like we were running our own recyling center and made me take them to the center).

The most I ever made saving them was like $183 when I was 10 yrs old. I had been saving them up for about 3 weeks. Turning them in daily during the summer.........I dunno maybe like $8 or $9 for the day.

The good side: pop cans / bottles are EVERYWHERE around here. As I said above I've gotten over 1,000 cans in less than two full days (and I'm not done for today yet either). Also a select few can make the trip with me down to OR and I can get 5 cents each ($1.25 / lb) for them (here in WA it's 1.4 - 1.7 cents each (35 to 40 cents / lb) depending where I take 'em for the cans...........and only the bottles (glass and plastic) are taken to OR cuz I can't find any centers here in my area of WA that pay for them......but OR also pays 5 cents for each bottle.

The bad side: It's a lot of work to gather all the cans I can find (and I do find a lot) and then sort them ("WA" cans from "OR" cans) then get the OR ones to the safeway down there and find out that either the machine is broken or that it rejects like 2/3 of the bottles / cans I have and I have to take 'em to WA after all.........fortunately it's only about a 12 mile drive, but still it's kinda fustrating. And then smashing down the "WA" cans so I can fit a lot of cans into as few bags as possible (I take them to the center in my Toyota Camry.........which is already nearly filled to maximum capacity, so I need to conserve room while getting enough cans in there to make it worth the trip).

Around here they also pay 1 cent / lb for newspaper and cardboard (which is really good cuz I use to turn in newspaper for 1/4 of a cent / lb when I was a kid), but I don't pick either of those up cuz I don't have enough room in my car to get enough down there to make it worth the effort.

I do occasionally take "scrap metal" (catalytic converters, wheel rims, car radiators, etc) down..........I get 45 cents / lb for the radiators (which mechanics throw away quite frequently here) and 6 cents / lb for the scrap metal and $7.50 / ea for the catalytic converters........I usually only bother with the catalytic converters / scrap metal if I'm needing a few extra bucks for the day...........radiators I save until I've got 2-5 sometimes a little more if I'm only going to take the radiators for that trip I could possibly get 10-12 in my car without too much of a problem then I take them down (the other day I had two that weighed 39 lbs total \:D/......I thought they were closer to 10 to 15 lbs combined )

Anywho.........I'm hyper (as if you couldn't tell)........so I'm gonna grab something to eat (after a "few more" posts), then get out for my evening "route" to see how much more I can pick up.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

My family used to recycle, but alas, we don't any more.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Oregon, Washington? Where exactly are you? What city?

And yes, we recycle. It used to be my only source of income, at around $300 a year.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

We recycle, but here in EmDee, it's not for money. We just put bottles, cans, etc. in a bin and put it by the curbside twice a week. We also recycle any kind of paper.

My dad is, shall we say, extremely zealous about recycling. Sometimes we have to stop him from picking up a stray can.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

we used to do it a lot..but now we just but squished cans in a box and when we get a ton of them, we'll take them in.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My family recycles by putting stuff in the blue box, and then a truck comes by to pick the stuff up weekly.

My dad used to pick up pop cans and stuff, and we almost had to try to stop him from doing so at random places. :roll: He isn't quite as fanatical any more.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

My family needs to recycle more. I think that we're killing this here planet and we oughta be ashamed of it! (note the cleverly inserted Bart Rathbone quote. :D )
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

We recycle, but we just started after we moved.
...I hate marquees.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

We don't. When we moved into this house they never gave us a bin, so there is really no way to.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

My family recycles and we just put it at the driveway and a truck comes to pick it up there.

When were on vaction we will take the bottles in but its just to get rid of them not for the money.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

We never received a bin either. I do recycle plastic bags though.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We don't recycle - out here in the country they don't give you bins or have weekly pickups. We just throw everything away. :anxious: My aunt is really into recycling though, and she gets upset when she sees us throw away plastic bottles. :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Itaque wrote:
My dad is, shall we say, extremely zealous about recycling. Sometimes we have to stop him from picking up a stray can.
LOL.......I use to be that way.........when I was younger (like between 7 and 9 yrs old) and recyling we could be going 50 mph down the highway and if I saw a can you'd think there was some sort of national emerency the way I tried to get mom to stop the car so I could pick it up.........now if I'm driving and see a can...."Oh, well", but walking (esp walking around one of my "routes" to pick up cans, I'll pick 'em up from the curbside........I even have some places that are aware of me and the time I show up that are starting to save the cans / bottles from their businesses and put 'em in a bag outside the door for me \:D/ gotta love people like that.
Me wrote:Oregon, Washington? Where exactly are you? What city?

And yes, we recycle. It used to be my only source of income, at around $300 a year.
Well, sometimes I'm in Walla Walla WA, sometimes I'm in College Place, WA (a sub-urb of Walla Walla), and sometimes I'm in Milton-Freewater, OR, and occasionally (about once a week to once every two weeks I go to Pendleton, OR).............why where is you?

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

JF, Me and I all live around there!!! \:D/

I recylce everything. We have a compost and then a huge thing that we separate glass, plastic, tin, etc.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Yup, we recycle. Germany's really weird about that. You have to pay for all of your trash, and not for your recycleable stuff, so we recycle stuff like cans, bottles, paper, plastic, etc. because my parents are too cheap to spend extra money on trash.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Jessicado wrote:JF, Me and I all live around there!!! \:D/
I knew there was something strange about this area :lol: j/k.......sorta :anxious:

Since we are all "around there......er around here.....er, uhm" anyway since we're close maybe we should meet...........*thinks she doesn't want to be responsible for the nightmares and YEARS of counseling Jessicado, JF, and "Me" would endure after meeting Gimp* (I kno JF doesn't live "near" here, cuz I know where she lives sorta-kinda).

Peace Out

-Gimp

JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

We have the bins, but we sometimes take cans and stuff to Oregon for cash.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

JesusFreak777 wrote:We have the bins, but we sometimes take cans and stuff to Oregon for cash.
Yay...........more cheaters just like me..........it's annoying to take 'em to OR here cuz the only place you can get 'em turned in at is Safeway.........so if it's something safeway doesn't sell, you can't turn it in, and then most of the time (that I've seen) the machines are broken......what a nightmare.

Peace Out

-Gimp

Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

gimp80995 wrote:
Jessicado wrote:JF, Me and I all live around there!!! \:D/
I knew there was something strange about this area :lol: j/k.......sorta :anxious:

Since we are all "around there......er around here.....er, uhm" anyway since we're close maybe we should meet...........*thinks she doesn't want to be responsible for the nightmares and YEARS of counseling Jessicado, JF, and "Me" would endure after meeting Gimp* (I kno JF doesn't live "near" here, cuz I know where she lives sorta-kinda).

Peace Out

-Gimp
JF and I are already planning on meeting! We should totally all meet! Although I am pretty sure that everyone here would agree that YOU are the ones who will need counciling after meeting me.......
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

LOl it totally agree about safeway. plus they all smell like stale alcohol from all the beer cans.

Meeting sounds fun. Oh and don't worry about the scarring. I know a couple of really good psychologists.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.