The Dinner Table

Seats and Common Practices

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

The Dinner Table

Post by Taq »

When you sit down and have dinner with your family, where does everyone sit? Do you all sit in the same places every day or do the seats change? Also, do you have any special things you do every time?

We have assigned seats at the dinner table, and everyone is more or less happy with it. We usually switch the assigned seats every few years or so, although it’s been the same way for quite a long while now. We have an oval table and clockwise from the 3 o’clock head or tail, it goes me, Dad, brother (8), brother (13), brother (19) when he’s home, Mom, sister (7). Also, at the beginning of each meal, everyone prays, youngest to oldest, with my dad closing the blessing.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

ahhh interesting question

our family usually sits in the same spots, except for when my siblings are annoying and sit where i usually sit...or if the whole family's not at dinner we'll switch seats so were sitting closer together
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

At dinner time...I go and grab as many place settings as we need and toss them onto our dining room table. We all sit down in the same places that we've sat at every day of our lives and eat.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

We used to change places, but we have settled on an arrangement, and have used it for many years. I, however, am the only one who has consistently managed to retain their normal seat when company comes. I sit to the West.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Let's see....

Going clockwise, starting at the head of the table:

Dad
Sarah (sister)
Me
Mom
Tom (brother)
Paul (other brother)

If we're having dinner together that is, we often have different things going on, and it's jsut like, grab whatever you can, eat it quick and let's go!

At the other meals, everyone except my brother Tom sit in the same places, he prefers to take over the head of the table.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We always sit in the same seats....my dad at one end of the oval table, my mom at the other end, Watson to my dad's right, me to HIS right, and my sister across from me. My oldest brother sits across from Watson when he comes to visit.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

We also always sit in the same, with the exception of two of my siblings, who fight over who gets to sit next to my mom, so they alternate.

Clockwise:
my mom
my brother, Travis or my sister, Kassandra
my sister, Kassandra or my brother, Travis
my dad
my other sister, Julianna
my other brother, Erik
me
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Laura Ingalls wrote:We always sit in the same seats....my dad at one end of the oval table, my mom at the other end, Watson to my dad's right, me to HIS right, and my sister across from me. My oldest brother sits across from Watson when he comes to visit.
Except when company comes, in which case MY seat is absconded with and I am banished to the other side of the table! :noway:

Also, my dad usually selects someone to pray for the meal.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Since it is just my brother and I we sit in the same spot because we eat at different times.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Table? What table? Oh, you mean that big white thing hidden underneath a mountain of papers, toys, pens, and books? ;-)

We usually trade places quite frequently, although my mom always sits at the head of the table. And my youngest brother usually sits on one side of her, although which side varies from day to day.

At my dad's house, only us kids usually sit at the table. Sometimes I join my dad and stepmom in the living room, but if I sit at the table I try to sit near the youngest two so I can make sure they're taken care of while they eat.

And my baby sister (3) ALWAYS has to sit at the head of the table. "That's MY spot," She'll say politely but firmly to anyone who dares take her seat.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Ah, company, I'd almost forgotten. Usually we have a whole bunch of relatives over, so we need to use two tables, plus a lot of people stand up or sit on the couch and eat. But whenever that happens, I always sit in the same place at the other table. :D
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

We usually say a short but to-the-point blessing with my mom, and at my dad's house we either say no prayer or a silent one. Not that my dad or step-mom forbids us to pray or anything; we just don't say grace there.

Also, with four to six kids there's bound to be at least one spill or incident of food falling on the floor. If we're at my mom's house, we just holler for our Dachsund to come lick it up. I usually end up taking care of messes at my Dad's, just because I'm the oldest and I know it's my responsibility.

Oh, and I almost always write names on the paper cups and fill them for my dad. It's not a big deal, and I know it helps him out. Besides, it allows me to be a control freak for a few moments and decide what everyone drinks. Muhahaha!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Hmmm, when company comes that's always scary as 1) We have no extra chairs, (my sister and I sit on folding chairs anyway) and 2) There's not much room round the table. So we move my chair in between the boy's chairs on the other side of the table, Mom moves to my spot, and the company sit at the end. If it's more that one person, we normally move the youngest two to their own table, and the company sits at the end and to the right.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

When we have company we go to our dining room instead of the table in our kitchen nook. The dining room table has 8 chairs plus we can put folding chairs at the 4 corners for up to 12 people. My dad usually sits at one end with my mom to his left, but the rest of us sit in different places depending on who is visiting. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

We normally sit in the same seats. Now that my sister and brother are going to college things might change a little but mostly we sit in the same seats everyday.