What Is The Difference Between a Geek and a Nerd?

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

What Is The Difference Between a Geek and a Nerd?

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I am curious as to what you all think the difference between a geek and a nerd is. :-k (And no, we are not talking about candy. ;) )

So, dicuss! (Mods, fill free to move this elsewhere if you think it should be.)
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

i dont know :-k
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

A geek is generally considered to be someone who has like, freakish amounts of skill in a particular area--for example, someone who is very talented at music in general (singing, playing an instrument, music theory, etc.) can be known as a music geek. Nerd, however, is generally a derogatory term applied to someone who is either boringly studious or simply has his/her nose buried in a book constantly. In addition, nerds are also generally classified as having little to no social skills. So if someone's saying someone is a geek, it's a compliment. Nerd, however, is an insult.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

TigerintheShadows wrote:A geek is generally considered to be someone who has like, freakish amounts of skill in a particular area--for example, someone who is very talented at music in general (singing, playing an instrument, music theory, etc.) can be known as a music geek. Nerd, however, is generally a derogatory term applied to someone who is either boringly studious or simply has his/her nose buried in a book constantly. In addition, nerds are also generally classified as having little to no social skills.

So if someone's saying someone is a geek, it's a compliment. Nerd, however, is an insult.
Unless it's the candy. ;)

Okay, thank you Tiger! :D

Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Geeks end up making more money.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Then I'm both a geek and a nerd. \:D/
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Wikipedia's definations of Geek and Nerd:

Geek:
A derogatory reference to a person obsessed with intellectual pursuits for their own sake, who is also deficient in most other human attributes so as to impair the person's smooth operation within society.
A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Geeks are adept with computers, and use the term hacker in a positive way, though not all are hackers themselves.
A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies; for example, using multivariate calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who passionately pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.
A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad but because many of these interests have mainstream endorsement and acceptance, the inclusion of some genres as "geeky" is heavily debated. Persons have been labeled as or chosen to identify as physics geeks, mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comic book geeks, theater geeks, history geeks, music geeks, art geeks, philosophy geeks, literature geeks, historical reenactment geeks, 2012 geeks, video game geeks, and roleplay geeks.
A more recent school of thought sees nerd as being a derogatory phrase, whilst geek is simply a description[citation needed]. It is taken to be someone who is an enthusiast, often in things outside of the mainstream spectrum. It may also describe immersion in a particular mainstream interest to an extreme that is beyond normalcy (e.g. sports geek)[citation needed]. Of note is that in this definition, there is no reference to being socially inept in the slightest
Nerd:
Nerd is a term, often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who avidly pursues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavors, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities. The nerd may be awkward, shy and unattractive.Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

:shock: Wow...thanks! \:D/

Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

nerd, however, is an insult.
Not to all people! Dome people claim to be nerds. I wouldn't mind being called a nerd. In geekdom there are large discussions about whether you are a geek or a nerd. So calling someone a nerd is not always a insult.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

*pshaw* Nerd is not a derogatory word! I am a Nerd and I'm proud of it! \:D/
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Moontide wrote:
Not to all people! Dome people claim to be nerds. I wouldn't mind being called a nerd. In geekdom there are large discussions about whether you are a geek or a nerd. So calling someone a nerd is not always a insult.
Okay then, you're a nerd. :yes:
Amethystic wrote:*pshaw* Nerd is not a derogatory word! I am a Nerd and I'm proud of it! \:D/
Even if it is derogatory I'm proud of it! \:D/

Oh, and relating to nerd superiority..

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

A Nerd is like a guy who stays up all night to get tickets for lord of the rings 3. stuff like that. a geek is like a math wiz and really good at homework
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

takeitfromthetop wrote:A Nerd is like a guy who stays up all night to get tickets for lord of the rings 3. stuff like that. a geek is like a math wiz and really good at homework
Well then, Jason Fox (From Foxtrot) Is both! Defiantly...
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Invisible Ninja wrote:
Moontide wrote:
Okay then, you're a nerd. :yes:
Amethystic wrote:*pshaw* Nerd is not a derogatory word! I am a Nerd and I'm proud of it! \:D/
Even if it is derogatory I'm proud of it! \:D/

Oh, and relating to nerd superiority..

\:D/
Thats CRAZY!
Last edited by UNCLEBITTLES on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

...Yeah, technically nerd is either derogatory or a good thing, apparently depending on who you ask. I think it just depends on how you take either term.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Ture ture
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election