Hip Hop/Rap

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Hip Hop/Rap

Post by EK »

Now I know alot of you guys probably don't like any type of hip hop or rap (in fact I bet alot of you guys despise it or whatever) but for those who do...who're your favorite artists and such?

I'd have to say hands down my favorite would be Outkast, then perhaps Kanye, Kid Cudi, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Del, Cyne, Common, Wu-Tang, Gorilla Zoe and the like.

Rap has become a big part of my music, the lyrics are always more direct and more subtle at the same time, there's so much stuff you can do with rap and hip-hop above and beyond rock and pop...it's probably the most versatile genre out there.

So, who, if anybody here, likes it? (...and no, brian, not the luv is a verb rap. ;) )
Last edited by EK on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Thank you for this topic, EK. I now have a place to put my vomit. \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Haters gon' hate. \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I don't really care for any rap/hip hop at all, other than John Reuben. It's all pretty boring to me. :-

I would agree that it's a really versatile genre though.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I don't care for it. It doesn't really entertain me.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I don't mind it. And I don't love it. I do like a little John Rueben like ric, but other than that...

I do like to write raps where the lyrics don't make sense, just rhyme. :dance:
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

The Top Crusader wrote:Thank you for this topic, EK. I now have a place to put my vomit. \:D/

... and I have a handy place to throw my toenail clippings.

\:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Hey now, this isn’t a place for people to come hate this is for people that agree with EK.

Though I don’t know where he’s going to find any of those.

;)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

True. But I don't think kids should listen to rap music. (or anyone for that matter) because the lyrics contain very bad language and elements.

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

iluvsns wrote:True. But I don't think kids should listen to rap music. (or anyone for that matter) because the lyrics contain very bad language and elements.
o_O;

What?

You realize there are such things as christian rappers right? And even beyond christian there are rappers that don't have any bad elements to it at all. Some rap does have objectionable content you might not want to peep out...just like country, pop, and rock has objectionable content as well. >_> To categorize all rap as bad is just ignorant and insulting.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

EK wrote:
iluvsns wrote:True. But I don't think kids should listen to rap music. (or anyone for that matter) because the lyrics contain very bad language and elements.
o_O;

What?

You realize there are such things as christian rappers right? And even beyond christian there are rappers that don't have any bad elements to it at all. Some rap does have objectionable content you might not want to peep out...just like country, pop, and rock has objectionable content as well. >_> To categorize all rap as bad is just ignorant and insulting.
Prepare to pass out. I don't listen to Country or Rock either. (If Susan Boyle counts, then I listen to pop.)

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Seems like they could sing about something other than putting your hands in the air (ayer) though. \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Prepare to pass out. I don't listen to Country or Rock either. (If Susan Boyle counts, then I listen to pop.)
So you're suggesting people shouldn't listen to secular music then, right? If you're saying that then just say that, don't single out a specific genre.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Are you my mom?
What do you listen to? There's objectionable content in classical operas, and the lives of most of the classical music composers were not that hot. And CCM isn't good either.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Ayralee wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Are you my mom?
What do you listen to? There's objectionable content in classical operas, and the lives of most of the classical music composers were not that hot. And CCM isn't good either.
I do not listen to what could be classified as CCM, although I do like some more contemporary songs. I don't know how to classify the kind of stuff I listen to. :shrugs: Hey, I know my opinion is not a popular one. But I'm just trying to serve God, and I personally feel that those styles of music take my attention off of God. Music is a very personal thing. Whats wrong for one person is not the same as for another. But there are some types of music that I could not say would be right for Christians.

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

iluvsns wrote:
Ayralee wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Are you my mom?
I do not listen to what could be classified as CCM, although I do like some more contemporary songs. I don't know how to classify the kind of stuff I listen to. :shrugs: Hey, I know my opinion is not a popular one. But I'm just trying to serve God, and I personally feel that those styles of music take my attention off of God. Music is a very personal thing. Whats wrong for one person is not the same as for another. But there are some types of music that I could not say would be right for Christians.
So, you think Christians should not listen to Christian rap?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

iluvsns wrote:
Ayralee wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Are you my mom?
I personally feel that music with drums in it is satanic.
Music is not personal.
There is black and white. You can't say what's wrong for one person isn't wrong for another. BLACK AND WHITE I TELL YOU!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ayralee wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Ayralee wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
EK wrote:
o_O;

What?

Are you my mom?
I personally feel that music with drums in it is satanic.
Music is not personal.
There is black and white. You can't say what's wrong for one person isn't wrong for another. BLACK AND WHITE I TELL YOU!
Down with drums!!! :demonstration:

Black and white!!! :demonstration:
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

@ric: Ric, I have a simple question for you: If I take a convicted prisoner, and make him wear a shirt that says "Jesus is the Way" does that make him a born-again Christian? My Dad likes to quote this. "Just because you were born in a barn doesnt mean you're a cow." IMO, there is no such thing as Christian rap. If you listen to regular rap or Christian rap, there is only one difference. The words. Kind of like the Odyssey "By Any Other Name", you can't just change the name- or in this case, the words of a song and make it something else. Rap is Rap, even the singer happens to be rapping about God. I know the kinds of music that lifts people's spirits and glorifies God, and rap is certainly not it.

@Ayralee: Were you being sarcastic? I didn't say drums were wrong necessarily.

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

iluvsns wrote:@ric: Ric, I have a simple question for you: If I take a convicted prisoner, and make him wear a shirt that says "Jesus is the Way" does that make him a born-again Christian? My Dad likes to quote this. "Just because you were born in a barn doesnt mean you're a cow." IMO, there is no such thing as Christian rap. If you listen to regular rap or Christian rap, there is only one difference. The words. Kind of like the Odyssey "By Any Other Name", you can't just change the name- or in this case, the words of a song and make it something else. Rap is Rap, even the singer happens to be rapping about God. I know the kinds of music that lifts people's spirits and glorifies God, and rap is certainly not it.
I disagree. God can use anyone - or anything - to bring praise to him. Even rap. What about rap is so bad? The fact that he's saying the words really fast and not singing? If you took the words from a hymn and put them on a rap song, would you say that God doesn't want Christians to listen to that? :-s

Tell me, does classical music glorify God? Does it lift your spirits?