PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, how are you determining which standards can change and which are final no matter what the prevailing opinion is?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

I really don't know. I'm going to youth camp in about a week. I'll see how many of the girls are actually wearing braids.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

...What youth camp is this? :-k

Cause if it's anything what I'd consider "normal" youth camp then you're gonna hate it. :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Nah, the 'less conventional' denominations usually have their own separate youth activities--like my friend's church, where they don't allow instruments to be played during worship.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

No, I've been to the camp several years, and I love it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Everyone is wearing long sleeves. :o You guys are the weirdest thing I've ever seen. :P

(No offense...)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

After seeing the camp thing: What's the point of long sleeves if everyone rolls them up, anyway?
he/him | a little stinker.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Actually, lots of them are wearing three quarter length sleeves, I believe.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I think that somewhere (probably in this thread) Odysseyfan1 said that they keep their elbows covered. So it would be alright to roll up your sleeves as long as they were below your elbow. Is that correct OF1?
Steve

Post by Steve »

But I saw elbows in the pictures! :x
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I saw elbows too! :shock: And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair. :shame: I seem to remember Stop Woonton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones (technology, outside world, distraction, makes noise, etc) but not books or mp3 players?)
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

What's the point of long sleeves if everyone rolls them up, anyway?
There's not a rule about long sleeves at camp. They can T-shirts, but I guess a lot of them don't since they are Midwest PHC'ers. Just no cap sleeves and tank tops.
Ric wrote:Actually, lots of them are wearing three quarter length sleeves, I believe.
Yes.
So it would be alright to roll up your sleeves as long as they were below your elbow. Is that correct OF1?
It would be perfectly fine is it went past the elbow. The three -quartet length rule is for the Midwest PHC members, so the sleeves don't get too short. (e.g. cap sleeves)
SoccerLOTR wrote:And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair
Oh tragedies Pilgrim girls have to endure! :D Even if the camp did allow pants on girls, I know most if not all of them would not wear them.
I seem to remember Stop Woonton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones
I stay with my family, so I don't know anything about that. Cell phones you can't really take away since the campers (12-19 years old) have to keep in contact with work, family, ect. MP3 players would distract kids and make them anti-social, and books could include dirty magazines. Besides, campers are busy all day.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I hide dirty magazines in my books all the time when I go to church camp. :-
Steve

Post by Steve »

Amethystic wrote:I hide dirty magazines in my books all the time when I go to church camp. :-
I kind of thought about that too...
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair
Oh tragedies Pilgrim girls have to endure! :D Even if the camp did allow pants on girls, I know most if not all of them would not wear them.
Yeah, I know...just a general denominational frustration, lol, not necessarily camp...it IS a tragedy in my opinion...but I'll try not to start THAT convo up again.
odysseyfan1 wrote:
I seem to remember Stop Woonton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones
I stay with my family, so I don't know anything about that. Cell phones you can't really take away since the campers (12-19 years old) have to keep in contact with work, family, ect. MP3 players would distract kids and make them anti-social, and books could include dirty magazines. Besides, campers are busy all day.
I understand not taking the phones away, but I feel like there should be more of a limit on the talking unless they are absolutely needed. That's what my camp does, as phones can distract just as much, if not more sometimes, than MP3 players or books. If they can be loudish and talk on the phone (or text) at night, it seems acceptable that they could bring a book to read before bed. Limiting those activities to free time or night time would ensure that people don't get antisocial or withdraw from activities.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I think phone usage should be limited--nothing kills socialization more than texting. Phones for emergencies are alright, but they shouldn't be used otherwise.

MP3 players, I've found, actually aren't a huge distraction from socialization, and in some cases the music actually gives people something to bond over. \:D/ That aside, I find that playing my music helps me sleep, because it helps me relax despite the unfamiliar surroundings and helps block out noise from other campers. You can also set your own alarm.

And, since it's rather hard to hide 'bad' reading materials from fellow campers, I'd say that books and some magazines are alright too. After all, the only time you'll have to read them is in your spare time; you can't carry them around to activities or fiddle with it in the middle of a lesson.
Last edited by Amethystic on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

When I went to camp we were not even ALLOWED phones our discman or anything! Girls were allowed pants, but honestly, kids, or even teens don't need a phone when they're at camp. At camp you tell you're boss or workplace you're gone and then they don't call your cell phone! When you're at camp you don't need to get in contact with your family, but if it's an emergency you CAN use the camp phone.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

SoccerLOTR wrote:I saw elbows too! :shock: And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair. :shame: I seem to remember Stop Wooton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones (technology, outside world, distraction, makes noise, etc) but not books or mp3 players?)
Well one thing to consider is who are dorm dad was (Rob Loper, Odysseyfan1)! We can have cell phones because that way we can contact our parents. And anna remember that there is like 12 year old kids there so I think phones can be allowed.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:I saw elbows too! :shock: And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair. :shame: I seem to remember Stop Wooton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones (technology, outside world, distraction, makes noise, etc) but not books or mp3 players?)
Well one thing to consider is who are dorm dad was (Rob Loper, Odysseyfan1)! We can have cell phones because that way we can contact our parents. And anna remember that there is like 12 year old kids there so I think phones can be allowed.
Why do you need to contact your parents at camp though? If there's an emergency or the kid needs to tell something really important I'm not saying they can't use the camp phone, but kids don't need to talk to their parents the whole time they are at camp.
12 year olds shouldn't even have phones! When I was in grade 4 (so 10 years old) I went to camp for a week without talking to my parents the whole time. It's what makes camp fun. I don't understand what you are proving by saying that there are 12 year olds... Plenty of 12 year olds survived camp without a cell phone, even if they were scared.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Anna><> wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:
Why do you need to contact your parents at camp though? If there's an emergency or the kid needs to tell something really important I'm not saying they can't use the camp phone, but kids don't need to talk to their parents the whole time they are at camp.
12 year olds shouldn't even have phones! When I was in grade 4 (so 10 years old) I went to camp for a week without talking to my parents the whole time. It's what makes camp fun. I don't understand what you are proving by saying that there are 12 year olds... Plenty of 12 year olds survived camp without a cell phone, even if they were scared.
:yes: Part of what is nice at camp is that you are completely separated from the rest of the world--including from parents and friends. You make new friends, learn to adjust on your own, and have some time to clear your mind from stuff you usually think about--stuff like technology and "the real world", and talking on the phone regularly or texting people from home brings the real world back to you and decreases your time alone or with camp friends, or even sleep time. What does age have to do with it? Even when I'm on staff at camp and can talk on the phone on break, I rarely do, as I enjoy the time away from home and being able to take my mind off my usual concerns and focuses, directing my focus toward God, nature, and the people at camp with me.
And I'm with Anna...sorry, but I'm on the side of "12 year olds do not need phones". Or if they do, only basic non-text and limited call cell phones in case of absolute emergency. Until one is driving his/her self around, they do not need a phone. My family got a family cell phone when I was 16 or 17 that got rotated around to whomever was out and most likely to have reason to use it. I didn't have my own 'til I was 18 and I did perfectly fine without one through my childhood and most of my teen years. I'm not saying people in their teens with phones are wrong for using them or something, just stating that I don't think it is necessary, and therefore, even less necessary at camp.