Australian Rules Football - Fantasy League

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Australian Rules Football - Fantasy League

Post by Fang-wa »

Hark! Springtime nears us, and with it the Aussie-Rules Footy season! For those of you who came into this topic saying "What the blimp is Australian Footy??" allow me to explain it to you in song.

...Actually the last few minutes of last year's Grand Final.

There. Now that you know what Australian football is (theoretically and in a general sense), I and several others would like to form a Town of Odyssey fantasy league on their website. \:D/ I'm going to assume you know what a fantasy league and how it works, generally (if not you can ask and I'll explain it for you); this Aussie footy is no different (aside from, like, being a different sport and all..).

Would anyone be interested in joining such a ToO league? I think it's safe to say that very few, if any, of us know what we're doing (even if I sound really smart, I'm not :- ) so your "But I don't know anything about Aussie football. I'll be creamed!" excuse is invalid.
Also, pretty much all you have to do is pick your players (like 33 or something) and then you're good for the rest of the season. If you want you can substitute and trade players in-between Rounds, but that's only if you want to.

That's basically it. Pretty easy, a fun new sport, and a new way to compete with the ToOers that you know and love!

Does anyone think that sounds like a fun thing to do this summer? Also feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'll do my best to answerz them. (:

This is the AFL site: http://afl.com.au/
And this is the fantasy site/page: http://dreamteam.afl.com.au/

The league code for the ToO league is 843398.

Balloon #48
Last edited by Fang-wa on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow. That is really something.
I’ve never done a fantasy league (for any sport) but I’ve always wanted to, so count me in.

How will the players’ players be compared? (to see who picked better)
And how will the players pick their players? First come first serve, random lottery, or in a draft?

And should this be in Odyssey 105?
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I've been in American Football Fantasy leagues, Basketball fantasy leagues, and Baseball fantasy leagues. But with this I will not really know who is better only by last years stats.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Invisible Ninja, I watched that clip twice, and this is now my favorite sport. I’m not kidding! This is the best sport ever! Thank you for introducing me to it! I wish I got the games on tv.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I watched the video too, and it was pretty good. It's not nearly as awesome as the NFL, but I would choose it over soccer anyday. ;)

Oh, and this is called "the amazing conclusion to the 2010 AFL Grand Final"? It ended in a tie... maybe that says a lot about the rest of the season. :P
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

bookworm wrote:Wow. That is really something.
I’ve never done a fantasy league (for any sport) but I’ve always wanted to, so count me in.

How will the players’ players be compared? (to see who picked better)
And how will the players pick their players? First come first serve, random lottery, or in a draft?

And should this be in Odyssey 105?
Points will be scored as follows (per player):
Kick - 3 Points
Handball - 2 Points
Mark - 3 Points
Tackle - 4 Points
Free Kick For - 1 Point
Free Kick Against - (-3) Points
Hitout - 1 Point
Goal - 6 Points
Players can be picked multiple times. Otherwise, to use baseball as an example, only one person out of a few thousand could pick Sammy Sosa or Randy Johnson, which gets a bit annoying. ;) So you can pick any players you want, even an identical team to mine, it's just a matter of which players and combination of players do better.

I'm not sure, is Finneman's not good for it? :anxious:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I've been in American Football Fantasy leagues, Basketball fantasy leagues, and Baseball fantasy leagues. But with this I will not really know who is better only by last years stats.
Yeah, that's what I mean by us not knowing what we're doing. Maybe after a few years we'll know enough players to have preferences. :P I've been watching some clips on YouTube from matches (like the Grand Final one above) and picking players I think will do well (in addition to previous stats)).
bookworm wrote:Invisible Ninja, I watched that clip twice, and this is now my favorite sport. I’m not kidding! This is the best sport ever! Thank you for introducing me to it! I wish I got the games on tv.
I'm glad you like it! :D I wish they were too. :/ Apparently they're sometimes put on ESPN International, or something, but you can also see them on ESPN3.com for up to like 30 days after the game...
American Eagle wrote:I watched the video too, and it was pretty good. It's not nearly as awesome as the NFL, but I would choose it over soccer anyday. ;)

Oh, and this is called "the amazing conclusion to the 2010 AFL Grand Final"? It ended in a tie... maybe that says a lot about the rest of the season. :P
lol Ikr? AFL, football, AFL, football...hmmmm...AFL!

lol Yeah but it was a fun game, no? ;) And that's the first one I've seen that ended in a tie (ironically, it being the Grand Final..).
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Invisible Ninja wrote:lol Yeah but it was a fun game, no? ;) And that's the first one I've seen that ended in a tie (ironically, it being the Grand Final..).
Sure, it was fun. ;) If this played on Saturday afternoons instead of college football, I'd tune in.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

American Eagle wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:lol Yeah but it was a fun game, no? ;) And that's the first one I've seen that ended in a tie (ironically, it being the Grand Final..).
Sure, it was fun. ;) If this played on Saturday afternoons instead of college football, I'd tune in.
Well the season starts in a few weeks! And wouldn't you rather watch it while cheering your players on, knowing that you are besting fellow ToOers at this sport? \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Invisible Ninja wrote:you can also see them on ESPN3.com for up to like 30 days after the game...
Yay!! \:D/

So when does the season start? We should probably get the teams decided pretty soon.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

bookworm wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:you can also see them on ESPN3.com for up to like 30 days after the game...
Yay!! \:D/

So when does the season start? We should probably get the teams decided pretty soon.
I think you get locked out of choosing a team in like 17 or 18 days or something.. You can choose your team anytime until then, at dreamteam.afl.com.au. :)

Also, I'll create a ToO league and get that up here...

Edit: Okay here we go guys, the ToO league code is 843398. (I'll enter this in the first post of the topic as well.)
Last edited by Fang-wa on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

I joined
American Eagle wrote:Oh, and this is called "the amazing conclusion to the 2010 AFL Grand Final"? It ended in a tie... maybe that says a lot about the rest of the season. :P
They played another match the next week and Collingwood won.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

aussie aio fan wrote:I joined
American Eagle wrote:Oh, and this is called "the amazing conclusion to the 2010 AFL Grand Final"? It ended in a tie... maybe that says a lot about the rest of the season. :P
They played another match the next week and Collingwood won.
Oh was there a tiebreaker? I don't know how these things work. :-

This image was on the @AFL Twitter, #ObamaHandball:

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Do we need to register with the dream team site then?
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

bookworm wrote:Do we need to register with the dream team site then?
Yes we do. That is how we will keep track of our teams, points scored, rankings, et cetera for the entire season. :yes:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Oh, why not? ;) I joined the ToO Fantasy Hockey season without knowing much about hockey, so there's no reason why I can't give this a shot. \:D/

WEST COAST EAGLES! I have officially found my favorite team.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

OKay, will do :)

Edit:

Done! :D
I had absolutely no idea how to work the thing so I just auto filled with random players. \:D/
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

American Eagle wrote:WEST COAST EAGLES! I have officially found my favorite team.
They are my favourite team too.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m a Collingwood Magpies fan. I liked them from the instant I started playing the clip IN posted. Don’t really know why. \:D/
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

Anyone else want to join there's only four of us at the moment.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

When does the season start? \:D/