Friday by Rebecca Black

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

It's actually shocking to me the most people's reaction is absolute hatred. Everyone seems intent on making her feel as terrible as possible for ever releasing such a monstrosity.

...why? :mad: I'm not stupid; I realize how terrible the song is. But hey, it amuses me. \:D/ I look at the whole thing as a joke. Since she's so OBVIOUSLY disliked by EVERYONE, it's obvious she's not going to be a successful pop star in the future... so what's everyone worried about? She's nothing more then a current internet fad, popular for all the wrong reasons. She'll go away eventually, and remain only in the memories of those who appreciate internet memes. In the mean time, she's making millions of dollars from her Friday video, and I'm actually happy for her. ;) She has to deal with all the hate, she may as well benefit from the 'success'.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Same for me Jelly.

The first time I saw the video, I was literally speechless. I was just sitting there, blinking at my computer, unable to come up with any response at all.
I thought it was, without question, one of the worst things I’d ever seen.
The song, the video, everything. It was so bad I was convinced it was a joke. I didn’t think there was any way it could be that bad on accident.

Now, my problem was just with the song and video, not with Rebecca herself. I tend to like singers with ‘unusual’ voices so that wasn’t a problem for me, and I think she’s actually rather pretty. (without makeup)
No, my issue was the lyrics and video.
The song is absolutely terrible. First, why do you have to figure out which seat to take when all the front seats are taken already? Second, I don’t think they’re old enough to drive anyway. Third, your friend is by your right? That’s pretty rude to the person on your other side there. Fourth, ‘We so excited’? Really? Fifth, random guy rapping. I’ll stop there.
And the video was just overall poorly made in my opinion. I can’t even single out a particular thing, I just know it’s bad. The whole production was just terrible. And that strobe effect or whatever it’s supposed to be makes me nauseous.

That was before.
I watched it a few times after that, and it grew on me. I still think the song and video are terrible, but I’m not completely incredulous like I was before. I’m actually starting to enjoy it. I have a feeling it’s going to become my theme for Fridays. As a joke if nothing else.
Because, even if you totally hate the song itself, you have to admit that the melody is pretty darn catchy.

What I have a problem with now isn’t Rebecca at all. She didn’t write the song, she didn’t make the video. My problem is her parents. I’m wondering about their motivation. They’re the ones that set this up, they paid the money, but why? Was it really just to let their daughter have a moment as a pop star? Or was it to ‘force’ her into ‘fame’ if you know what I mean. If it’s the latter, then I feel bad for her.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Oh yes. \:D/
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I hope I'm not the only one who just really, really hates her voice. When I first heard the song, I had to wonder what Disney executive managed to get her a vocal coach, because she sounds nasally enough to put Alvin and the Chipmunks to shame.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who just really, really hates her voice.
No, you're not the only one.

"...What Disney executive managed to get her a vocal coach..." Huh? I don't really understand that sentence, but the song was written and produced etc. by Ark Music Group or something.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeeeeah, and autotuned dreadfully. =P If you find an acoustic, Tiger, she isn't THAT bad... and with a better song she'd be your next typical pop singer. :shrugs:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I hate when the girls go, "YEAH!" :blah: *shivers* I just find her slightly annoying...

\:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was up late last night, and when I looked at the clock and saw it was past 12 I said ‘Oh it’s Thursday now’ and then this came to my mind out of nowhere:
“It’s Thursday, Thursday, Gotta get up on Thursday. Gotta go to college and go to class, to class.”
:anxious:
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

bookworm wrote:I was up late last night, and when I looked at the clock and saw it was past 12 I said ‘Oh it’s Thursday now’ and then this came to my mind out of nowhere:
“It’s Thursday, Thursday, Gotta get up on Thursday. Gotta go to college and go to class, to class.”
:anxious:
Oh bookworm.... You LIKE her?

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

ric wrote:
TigerintheShadows wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who just really, really hates her voice.
No, you're not the only one.

"...What Disney executive managed to get her a vocal coach..." Huh? I don't really understand that sentence, but the song was written and produced etc. by Ark Music Group or something.
The rest of my post referred to her voice sounding extremely nasally, which Disney singers who aren't a part of their animated movies--and even the ones who are--tend to have happen to them as a result of their association with the company.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

bookworm wrote: My problem is her parents. I’m wondering about their motivation. They’re the ones that set this up, they paid the money, but why? Was it really just to let their daughter have a moment as a pop star? Or was it to ‘force’ her into ‘fame’ if you know what I mean. If it’s the latter, then I feel bad for her.
I'm going to go for the first one, it seems the most reasonable for being a parent. You want the best and you want your own kid to be happy, just unfortunate that this has to happen to her.

I personally believe people are going way to critical on a 13 year old girl. Go on youtube and you'll see some very disturbing comments.

That being said the lyrics were horrible, the auto-tuning doesn't help at all, and the music video tries to hard to make it like your typical "hip hop" video.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

gunblader3 wrote:
bookworm wrote: My problem is her parents. I’m wondering about their motivation. They’re the ones that set this up, they paid the money, but why? Was it really just to let their daughter have a moment as a pop star? Or was it to ‘force’ her into ‘fame’ if you know what I mean. If it’s the latter, then I feel bad for her.
I'm going to go for the first one, it seems the most reasonable for being a parent. You want the best and you want your own kid to be happy, just unfortunate that this has to happen to her.

I personally believe people are going way to critical on a 13 year old girl. Go on youtube and you'll see some very disturbing comments.

That being said the lyrics were horrible, the auto-tuning doesn't help at all, and the music video tries to hard to make it like your typical "hip hop" video.
That what has to happen to her ?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

thegreenringC wrote:That what has to happen to her ?
That she has to be the receiver of such extreme hatred. Did no one watch the first video I posted?

Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yeah, I watched that clip. I do think though... if millions of people couldn't stand me, I would NOT try to be a singer. I'd give up.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But that’s the point, she wasn’t trying to be a singer. She was just doing it for fun, it got spread around, and now this.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Oh. I thought maybe it was actually serious. :oops:

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well it was, in that she was making a serious video for family and friends. But she wasn’t going to use it to try to become the next Justin Bieber or anything.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

bookworm wrote:Well it was, in that she was making a serious video for family and friends. But she wasn’t going to use it to try to become the next Justin Bieber or anything.
I get it. It's kind of like "Ms. Teenage South Carolina" in it's hilarity. That so many people saw it anyway. Viral videos still remain a mystery to me. *shrugs*

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I don't think as Christians we should insult her with cruel comments and rude names.
Last edited by Parker Family on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.