The Dark Knight Rises news!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Woah. This movie...woah. Best superhero movie ever. Ever.

Review-
This movie was impeccable from beginning to end, it's so good. SO FREAKING GOOD! Every character is improved upon from the past movies and the new characters are astonishingly amazing (especially Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt), Bane and Talia were better villains than any others in my mind. Fox was excellent, Alfred was excellent, and this is Bale's most excellent Batman movie yet (and yes, he's open to a 4th movie). This movie lives up to the hype, and can I say I'm so glad Batman didn't die (even though they totally tricked us and made it seem like he did). This is what superhero movies should aspire to be. Really.... I cannot wait for another movie with Robin in it. (I kind of guessed that JGL was some type of Robin halfway through the movie, and the way they executed it was flawless.) This is what I really would consider a sequel to batman begins, while TDK needed to happen and was an amazing movie, they both pale in comparison to this movie. This is a short review but in summation this movie was the best movie I've seen in the past few years, this movie is a masterpiece... an achievement of cinema in all regards. 10 out of 10! If you're reading this and haven't seen it, shame on you for reading spoilers but GO SEE IT! I can't say enough good things about it. Throughout the entire almost three hour ride I was entranced, at no time did I want to check my phone, go to the bathroom, and I didn't even finish my popcorn. It's that good, I don't think I blinked.
Last edited by EK on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

bookworm wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote:Is anyone going to see this at midnight/did anyone go to see this at midnight? \:D/
Not in Colorado I hope. :o
ToOers can read the story here, if they're interested ;)
*insert provocative quote here*
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm completely distraught over the Colorado shootings. Horrible, horrible situation. The gunman came in through the emergency exit, and during a scene with a lot shooting, he opened fire on the moviegoers. The terrorist shot 71 people, killing 12 of them. I'm going to freak out if he murdered any children. :(

When the police found the killer in his car, he gave himself up and said, "I'm the Joker." In this case, the Joker better get the electric chair. >_>

Aaaand I have no interest in this movie anymore.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I really don't think the batman movie prompted him to do this (not saying that's what you're implying) it's just the effects of being mentally deranged and having ways to illegally obtain guns.

Sad sad situation though, definitely praying for the families involved.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I am kind of wondering why so many little kids were at a midnight release to a movie like that, but ah well. :(
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Mike Lowery wrote:I really don't think the batman movie prompted him to do this (not saying that's what you're implying)
I'm been mulling this over all day, and I agree with you. I don't think it's a movie's fault that this tragedy happened, just like I don't think World War II movies are too blame for present day violence. Although the midnight premiere gave him a venue to put together a plan, this freak made his own choices.

However, the shooting has put a really bad taste in my mouth about TDKR. >_> When I eventually watch it, I will wince if there are any massacre scenes.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

...wow. Nolan comes through once again. That was really, really good. I'm not good at comparing films, but I would say it's at least on par with the other two.
However... I want Batman to live just as much as the next person, but, come on, that's just not believable. It almost ruins the whole thing for me. However, although it seems implied he lived, I think it's possible that was just to satisfy the "casual moviegoer." That sounds snobbish, I know, but it does seem plausible to me.
The soundtrack was amazing.

The fight scenes were really good, especially between Bane and Batman.

I couldn't understand half of what Bane said, and one tenth of what everyone else said, so that kind of sucked....but thankfully the movie was long enough that I got the gist of it. :p

Also, Bane's voice was just goofy. I wasn't quite sure what type of character was trying to be portrayed...

I was also somewhat disappointed with the villain's motive. Bane seemed kind of like Ra'as al Ghul part 2. It seemed to me to be, once again, Gotham is corrupt so we need to destroy it. I was kind of expecting something more complex or sinister this time around.

The film was literally LOTR-esque epic. And it was very dreary. But that's what made it so good. I can't stand when they throw stupid humor into other superhero-type movies that would otherwise be pretty solemn. I think Nolan understands you can't have it both ways.
Last edited by ric on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The Joker wrote:
Mike Lowery wrote:I really don't think the batman movie prompted him to do this (not saying that's what you're implying)
I'm been mulling this over all day, and I agree with you. I don't think it's a movie's fault that this tragedy happened, just like I don't think World War II movies are too blame for present day violence. Although the midnight premiere gave him a venue to put together a plan, this freak made his own choices.

However, the shooting has put a really bad taste in my mouth about TDKR. >_> When I eventually watch it, I will wince if there are any massacre scenes.
I haven't seen the movie yet, and the media is usually wrong about cool things like games and movies, but I heard them say he did it during a massacre scene basically. >_>

Which I guess is why a lot of people were like "hey look lol this is part of the show!"

Although I've never had a weirdo in costume start shooting people while *I* was at a movie so I don't think I would assume Warner Bros. hired thousands of people to do that at each screening...
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Well, the shooting almost turned me off of seeing the film, but I am SO glad I went. Here's my review: (Warning, spoilers)
about a month ago, I had low expectations for this movie, but then, as the release date neared I was getting more and more excited, and then a week ago when I saw the "Dark Knight Rises Official Trailer 3" For the first time my expectations were even higher, higher than even the Avengers. And lets just say I wasn't disappointed. From the first minute on, this movie captivated me like no other movie had. The whole cast played their characters beautifully, And I was especially impressed like EK said, with Joseph Gordon Levitt. He played his character amazingly, and he stole the entire show for me. I was also very impressed with Anne Hathway, which I previously thought was not going to do very good. She did excellent. The plot was well constructed, the score was my favorite of the The Batman Trilogy, and the climax- WOW. The chills never stopped while I watched the climax. And you know what? Batman didn't die. And that's OK. I trusted Nolan and he delivered with an ending that still put a lump in my throat. And when the credits started rolling I just sat there in shock for a minute or two, and realized that this was the end. Yeah this is the end of Nolan's Batman. But that doesn't mean another Batman can rise. And I'm glad I have these Batman movies to watch while I'm waiting.
10 out of 10 stars.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Aragorn wrote:I think DKR is going to be the worst of the trilogy. But I could always be surprised.
Odd. I thought going in that it might be the best of the trilogy... but just having seen it...

Hmm. I appear to be in the minority.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Taps

Post by Taps »

Why didn't you like it Caswin?

And I was surprised. DKR WAS the best of the trilogy IMO \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

DKR was the best of the trilogy by far.
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Mike Lowery wrote:DKR was the best of the trilogy by far.
This. I loved TDK, but I could never figure out why it drew such massive adulation (except for Ledger, of course). But this was just...mmm. There are a few things that are off, but in the end, the movie adds up to an incredibly well-crafted story. So good.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Godzilla wrote:I am kind of wondering why so many little kids were at a midnight release to a movie like that, but ah well. :(
I absolutely agree with this. One couple brought their baby to the show...that baby was shot and seriously wounded. What the kree? Hello! Young children (a BABY, in this case) should be in bed that late at night! Especially when you consider that The Dark Knight Rises is almost three hours long. So you would make your child stay up until around three AM? (Probably later.) And this isn't even taking the noise level into account! This world is such a sad place.

...and I could go on to speak about the content in this movie that will be inappropriate for younger viewers, but I won't.
*insert provocative quote here*
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Saw it.

I was thinking about posting a review, but I'm pretty sure that the internet will lynch me if I share my opinions. :(

In short: it's excellent in many ways, but comes nowhere close to meeting the high standards set by The Dark Knight, which never felt the need to resort to even half as many exhausted plot cliches as this film did.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Get out of here jelly. Seriously get out of here. DKR was amazing. Amazing. Best batman yet. End of story.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I am the Batman fanboy's reckoning. :x
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

There's a storm coming Jelly, all you wannabe movie critics better batten down the hatches.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

When subjectivity lies in ashes, you have my permission to die. :noway:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I knew Jelly, I was his friend. Until he said DKR wasn't as good as TDK, I believed in Jelly.