The David Crowder Band...

Sad news

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Christian A.
Animatronic

The David Crowder Band...

Post by Christian A. »

Check out this article from the David Crowder*Band website:
Important News From Crowder Band

We have several things to let you know about.

First of all, we can't begin to express how excited we are getting about The 7 Tour this fall. If you haven't heard yet, we're doing a national tour with some of our favorite artists ever. Gungor, John Mark McMillan, and Chris August are joining us, and we cannot wait to be in the same room with these folks night after night. We’re pretty sure you'll want to be at every single one of these get-togethers. "Unreasonable!" you say? Well, not to us. That's why we'll be there every single night. Seriously, we, the band, are all getting on a bus and following the whole thing around for like 3 months. It's going to be awesome.

Now, another reason we are sure this will be one of the most meaningful tours we've ever been on is because it will be our last as a band. This is why we so cleverly named it The 7 Tour. We've always hidden this little number here and there in our music and artwork, sometimes it would appear in the sum of the numerals 3 and 4, and other times it would be sitting there outright, but it’s always been with us. As you know, the number 7 has often been used to represent completion, and that feels exactly where we are as a band.

The David Crowder*Band was formed in the year two thousand; it was the dawn of a millennium, Y2K was upon us, and out of this chaos was born the DC*B. That sounds way more epic than we intend it, but it is fact. We signed a 3 album deal with our friends at sixstepsrecords who are part of the EMI/CMG family. We didn’t want to be presumptuous, presuming there would be more than those first three albums, but we hoped. And so we began discussions about building a 6 album set, the second three, if we were ever to have the great privilege of recording them, would be loosely associated with the first three, you know, sort of like how in the creation story day one is related to day four, as in, first there is light, then on the fourth day the sun and moon and stars appear. We do these things because we are quite nerdy and also because we hope to inject meaning wherever and whenever we are able. We also like structure, and this seemed a pretty nifty structure to work within, since, well, it is one of the greatest stories ever. And sure enough, we have had the happy fortune to record five full-length albums and are hard at work on the 6th right now.

The problem, or the beauty, is that we’ve never been able to see past album 6. In the meantime, a lot of life has happened. It is now 2011 (this is for anyone who may not have been paying attention) and in eleven years there have been many twists and turns. Each of us has gotten married. New humans have arrived as a result of these marriages, 5 to be exact. We have also lost some really good friends to death along the way and have gotten to celebrate together that death is not the end of things. It’s really crazy to think that we have lived over a decade of life together. And, in the middle of all this life, we have gotten to make music that was a reflection of what was happening among us. We have attempted, to the best of our ability, to insert all of these twists and turns into our music, hoping that our responses to God in the midst of these moments would be an aid to others.

At the first of this year we began discussing what was next. For a long while, we have had a good idea what we were going to do for album number 6; we were going to record a Mass. Ambitious, maybe, but we had been working out the details of how it would connect to A Collision, you know the one with the boy and the atom on the cover. Mass happens to be a term used in physics, and this was exciting to us. But we also began conversations about what was to follow this sixth album. Some of us discussed maybe going back to school. Some of us talked about how great it might feel to be home with family more. Some mentioned maybe writing for a living, or at least getting to give more attention to it. Some talked about more music to be made and who they might enjoy making it with and how great it would be to have more diverse options open to them and the excitement they felt when thinking about those options (as in, if this was to be the period at the end of a sentence, they couldn’t wait to read the next paragraph!) And, out of these discussions, the decision was reached that this sixth album would be our last. None of us is sure what’s next, but we’re not afraid. We’re, in fact, really, really excited! And we’re sure that music will play a role in the future for most, if not all, of us, since, well, we wouldn’t know how to not have it a part of our lives. To what extent that will be, none of us is sure. We are hopeful and expecting, and praying that what is ahead of us deepens our need and experience of redemption and multiplies our ability and effectiveness in expressing the story of God in light of the call he has on each of our lives.

We are forever grateful for the support we have had from our church community, both local and extended. Really. It has been beautiful, all of it. And we will most definitely keep you informed as things progress and life’s new twists and turns start to make themselves more apparent.

In the meantime, as you can imagine, this album we’re working on is pretty special to us. Fittingly enough, it seems our little Mass has turned itself into a Requiem. We’d love your prayers as we endeavor to put a period at the end of this sentence. And obviously it was not overstated when we said The 7 Tour will be a thing you may not want to miss. We would love for you to join us for one last evening together, singing these songs that God has allowed us to carry.

With Love and Gratitude,

The DC*B
What is your reaction?

](*,) :cry: :x :-s :( :o :shock:

or

\:D/ :lol: =D> :D

Quote tags added. Always use them when quoting large amounts of text said by others. -AE
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

NOOOO!!! I heard all about this already. I'm very very sad about it, as DC*B is my favorite band. (With the already broken up Five Iron Frenzy in 2nd place) It's kind of shocking, especially since they are at the top of their game. However, I think I heard that they will have a hymns project and a Christmas album coming out sometime. ARG! Why do all of the good bands have to break up????
he/him | a little stinker.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Steve wrote:ARG! Why do all of the good bands have to break up????
I know! Soon we'll be hearing bad news from Third Day, then Casting Crowns, MercyMe, Switchfoot, Skillet... :(

We already had to go through this with Audio Adrenaline, and we half went through it with the Newsboys' change. It's not fair!

Although you have to give them credit. The DC*B came out with so much great music, it's a wonder they haven't stopped yet. It amazes me how many bands keep coming up with new ideas for lyrics and tunes.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I wouldn't mind reading something about those first three, Christian A. They're good, but I don't personally care for them. ;)

But this is sad. :( Very sad. I can't believe it.... Noooo.....
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Steve

Post by Steve »

Termite wrote:I wouldn't mind reading something about those first three, Christian A. They're good, but I don't personally care for them. ;)
Huh. My thoughts exactly. :)

I'm figuring the the next big band to break up will be Relient K or Hawk Nelson.

Reasons:

Let's start with Relient K. They haven't done a new album in 2 years. (They are working on a new CD, but it's just a covers album) and Matt Theissen can make much more money by producing Owl City's music.

Hawk Nelson: They seem to enjoy dissapointing people by not doing albums in the sound thay the fans want: Punk/Pop. They keep doing these pop albums that nobody likes.

And: they don't play to many shows. They only play like, a show a week, so, they must not like being in the band too much.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Steve wrote:Reasons:

Let's start with Relient K. They haven't done a new album in 2 years. (They are working on a new CD, but it's just a covers album) and Matt Theissen can make much more money by producing Owl City's music.
The covers album will likely be an EP, and it'll probably just be a filler until their next full-length comes out.

Considering all the work Matt Thiessen and Matt Hoopes are doing with Mono Vs. Stereo, it is possible that they might break up soon, but not likely.

And, I don't plan on Switchfoot breaking up anytime soon. (It's possible, but I refuse to even think of it.) :noway:

It's sad about DC*B though. :( I don't have any of their music, but I've heard lots of it, and they've been one of the few worship bands I've ever liked somewhat. I might even consider buying their last album.
Steve

Post by Steve »

No. Switchfoot is too hugely succesful to break up now. I wouldn't worry about that.
Gondorgirl
Gold Member

Post by Gondorgirl »

Steve wrote:NOOOO!!! I heard all about this already. I'm very very sad about it, as DC*B is my favorite band. (With the already broken up Five Iron Frenzy in 2nd place) It's kind of shocking, especially since they are at the top of their game. However, I think I heard that they will have a hymns project and a Christmas album coming out sometime. ARG! Why do all of the good bands have to break up????
I know! Some of my very favorite bands are broken up or not as good as they used to be. (*Cough* Relient K *Cough*) though there are obviously still some great ones out there.

I am sad that DCB is breaking up because I only just started liking them, I hope to see them in concert one last time though.
I believe that love is greater
Never ceasing, always hoping
Always just beneath the Dawn
Steve

Post by Steve »

I really want to see the farewell concert on Jan 2nd, 2012.

They were right the apcolypse is in 2012.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

This is my second fav band. ( Five Iron Frenzy coming in second also broken up ) So I was just like... WHAT and then I was like WHAAAAAAAAT? And then I was like... Waaaat... I actually got this news from Steve first and I was like... WHY? They are still making amazing music, They are making moneyz, people like them! And Steve was like... They are married and they have kids and I was like... Yeah. Ok. But this is sad. I'm also sad to say next is Hawk Nelson :(
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Gondorgirl wrote:
Steve wrote:NOOOO!!! I heard all about this already. I'm very very sad about it, as DC*B is my favorite band. (With the already broken up Five Iron Frenzy in 2nd place) It's kind of shocking, especially since they are at the top of their game. However, I think I heard that they will have a hymns project and a Christmas album coming out sometime. ARG! Why do all of the good bands have to break up????
I know! Some of my very favorite bands are broken up or not as good as they used to be. (*Cough* Relient K *Cough*)...
Relient K most certainly is as good as, if not better than, they used to be. :noway:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

There will be no more talk of Relient K breaking up or decreasing in excellence. :x I will not have it. (Also, just because a band is slow to release a new album doesn't mean they're on the verge of breaking up--it had been three years since their last CD when House of Heroes released The End Is Not The End.)

Honestly, I haven't heard too much from DC*B, but I liked what I did hear. "Oh, Happiness" was always a great pick-me-up song. ^_^
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

And Burlap to Cashmere (which none of you have heard of) hasn't released an album since 1998, but they're coming out with a new album this year. \:D/(Of course, they did disband, but now they're back together. This year is like the back-together year. \:D/ Further Seems Forever, Sixpence None the Richer, Bleach - if only we could get Copeland back together. Then again, you probably haven't heard of any of these bands. :( )

We have Illuminate laying somewhere about the house, but I can't seem to find it. :(
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I'm sooo happy Relient K is doing a covers release. They do the best covers.

I seriously doubt this is the last we will hear from David Crowder and the band. We may not hear them together, but a guy's gotta eat to live and support his family. You need money for that. And for money you need a job. What are their skills in? Music. They will likely just branch out to other aspects of the music industry: song-writing, producing, or solo projects.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Elrohir wrote: I seriously doubt this is the last we will hear from David Crowder and the band. We may not hear them together, but a guy's gotta eat to live and support his family. You need money for that. And for money you need a job. What are their skills in? Music. They will likely just branch out to other aspects of the music industry: song-writing, producing, or solo projects.
Incorrectamundo. (That was a cool word.) It's fairly certain that some of the band members will go back to school, where as Mr. Crowder will most likely be an author or something.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

ric wrote:
Gondorgirl wrote:
I know! Some of my very favorite bands are broken up or not as good as they used to be. (*Cough* Relient K *Cough*)...
Relient K most certainly is as good as, if not better than, they used to be. :noway:
Umm they are like 10 times worse :-
Amethystic wrote:There will be no more talk of Relient K breaking up or decreasing in excellence. :x I will not have it. (Also, just because a band is slow to release a new album doesn't mean they're on the verge of breaking up--it had been three years since their last CD when House of Heroes released The End Is Not The End.)

Honestly, I haven't heard too much from DC*B, but I liked what I did hear. "Oh, Happiness" was always a great pick-me-up song. ^_^
I talked about it 8-)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Elrohir wrote:I'm sooo happy Relient K is doing a covers release. They do the best covers.
Mmmm... "Between You and Me" by DC Talk. "Manic Monday" by the Bangles grows on you too. ^_^
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

ric wrote:And Burlap to Cashmere (which none of you have heard of) hasn't released an album since 1998, but they're coming out with a new album this year.
I have. Sixpence None the Richer too.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I had just started getting into their music when I heard about this, and I was upset. :( I'm hoping that I will get to go to one of their concerts in the fall.
Last edited by EMBEE on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

bookworm wrote:
ric wrote:And Burlap to Cashmere (which none of you have heard of) hasn't released an album since 1998, but they're coming out with a new album this year.
I have. Sixpence None the Richer too.
Seriously? Awesome. \:D/