How long can you stay awake without sleeping?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I can stay awake ___

Below 24 hours :(
21%
24-29 :)
37%
30-34 :D
16%
35-39 =D>
21%
40+ \:D/
5%

Total votes: 19

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

How long can you stay awake without sleeping?

Post by Parker Family »

I could probably last 30 hours (Yeah, I stink :- ) before I would fall asleep of exhaustion...

How about you people? :anxious:

P.S. estimate... :-
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

At least 24 hours. Maybe more, IDK.
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Less than 24 hrs. :(
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

At least 36...I've done that much. It would have been more if I didn't need to rest for a chess competition.

(That's without caffeine, of course. Wouldn't want to stunt my growth!)
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I've never stayed up later than ~4 am, but there's an all-nighter at youth group next week, so we'll see if I make it.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I guessed 24-29...I've stayed up all night reading a particularly good book a time or two, although it was still earlyish (6 am, maybe) and I was able to go to sleep for a few hours afterward. Of course, if totally necessary, I probably could have stayed awake longer those days.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

The longest I've ever stayed awake was around 31 hours. I've never really tried to go as long as I could though... I think it would depend on what I was doing.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I've stayed up maybe twenty-four hours straight, give or take. Strangely enough, if you can last the night out the tiredness fades for a little while. (I enjoy how the listless exhaustion breaks down my distraction and allows me to work quite efficiently, hence the late night writing sessions. :- )
Last edited by Amethystic on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Almost 48. Though, that might be lying... so, around 40? When I went on the train back home Christmas break this past Christmas, I pulled an all nighter because the train was so early. Well, it was SUPPOSED to be. I was cranky by 8 pm that next night. lol. And then when I saw Pirates 4. I was awake for about 30 hours, and was close to pulling an all nighter because of Chris. So... eh. I'm sticking with 40. lol. I probably could last the two days, seriously. I probably will in 2012.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The longest I've gone was, if I remember correctly, 37 hours. And that's something I definitely will not be repeating, as that was when I was eight years younger. Now I don't think I could do it. Nor would I want to.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

48, but there was some trans-atlantic jet lag involved, so it didn't feel all *that* bad. I pulled an all-nighter the morning of my flight, grabbed a bus at 3am Nottingham time and was back in MN the following day evening and then couldn't fall asleep because of the time difference. ;)

What I do know though, is that if you stay awake long enough, you can definitely develop this mild paranoia, where you can start seeing stuff in your peripheral vision. I would get all jumpy, especially when driving (bad idea).
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I know someone who regularly stayed up for several days at a time and even tried to compete with himself and try to break his record. I don't think he ever actually did anything useful though. :\

I think the longest I have stayed up was less than 24 hours.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I went about 32 hours once working on a project at work....not fun.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I think I can stay awake for at least 24 hours...maybe more.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

well, you said to estimate, so I'd estimate >40, though I technically haven't done it. But since I have gone 50 or so hours with only an hour nap after 30-some hours, it's not much a stretch to say I could do 40 without a nap. I've done a number of 24 hour stints, particularly in college...though I still occasionally end up doing it for work. :( It's bad...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I stayed up about 40 hours I stayed up all night one night to pick up my adopted brother and sister but the plane was delayed and we stayed up allnight. I couldn't get to sleep the next night because my little adopted brother didn't like the dark and was up all night + I was all excited.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

That's cool! And good reasons to be up...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Joanne wrote:That's cool! And good reasons to be up...
The first night was torture for me though (well we were waiting for them) and the second night I just kept replaying what things I was going to do with them, play with them, and stuff :D it has been a great year and a half with them \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

cool, how old are they?

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Haha... yeah thats cool Taps!!! \:D/

I second SLOTR's question :anxious: