Which Episodes To Buy?

A suggestion thread

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Which Episodes To Buy?

Post by Bob »

Like I mentioned in a recent review, I've been thinking about getting some episodes for Christmas -- preferably newer ones, since I've heard the old ones so many times.

I was thinking mostly relaunch and on (preferably starting at #52), but I'm also amenable to some particularly good late prelaunch episodes (like the episodes in album #49), and I might be open to one or two middle-age episodes, provided that they're after album #29, but before Novacom.

The ones I'm thinking about right now are "A Thankstaking Story" (since I've warmed up to it so much), "You're Two Kind", and in fact any episode featuring the great Jay Smouse. :)

Also, I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to save some money for next season to pick up some of album #55 when it comes out, since Odyssey Scoop's quick article on it made it look very promising.

I was thinking of cherry-picking episodes, to ensure I get the cream of the crop (even if it is slightly more expensive), but I wouldn't be against getting an entire album, if every episode in it was solid.

What do y'all think?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Never For Nothing was an excellent episode, in my opinion.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

If you've ever heard "Something Significant", you'll know it's exactly what you're looking for. Solid lesson, great story, and an Imagination Station episode. It's fantastic, and the well reviewed "Never for Nothing" was compared to it by at least one user.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

i've heard it said that 55 is the best album since the relaunch so some $ for it might not be a bad idea
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I think the albums have been progressively getting better since the relaunch, so I have high hopes for album 55. Its not yet available though, right?
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

It isn't available yet, but it should be sometime next year.

From what I've seen (on the Odyssey Scoop page), it'll have Jason's tracking down Mr. Grote, a serious episode featuring Eugene and Katrina, and a four-parter about Sergeant York. Also, according to the AIO wiki, the episode that Bob Hoose mentioned (so far labelled "Mistaken for Good") in his recent interview will be there too. From what he said about it, it sounds like it should be a great Jay Smouse episode.

So yeah, it does sound like it's going to be an amazing album.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

TigerintheShadows wrote:If you've ever heard "Something Significant", you'll know it's exactly what you're looking for. Solid lesson, great story, and an Imagination Station episode. It's fantastic, and the well reviewed "Never for Nothing" was compared to it by at least one user.
^ That was me! :D

Bob, you should definitely get A Thankstaking Story. One of the best episodes after the relaunch and one of my Top 10 Favorite Episodes!
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

The ones I've selected so far:

"Tuesdays with Wooton"
"The Case of the Malted Milkball Falcon"
"A Thankstaking Story"
"You're Two Kind".

I have about $25, so I could buy twelve episodes if I wanted to, leaving eight to go. Any more suggestions?
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Album 49 has quite a few excellent episodes, though my favorite is probably the two-parter "The Highest Stakes." "Mum's the Word" is great kid-centric slice-of-life episode with genuine hilarity. "Silver Lining" (album 41) is an often-overlooked gem (about the guy Connie meets on her and Joanne's road trip who's supposedly a bank robber). I also like several of the pre-Novacom episodes in album 35 ("Best Laid Plans" especially).
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I also enjoyed Prisoners of Fear a lot-it's a really good episode.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Picked up "Tuesdays with Wooton" (which I've felt for some time is probably the best Wooton episode), "A Thankstaking Story", "The Malted Milkball Falcon", "You're Two Kind", "How to Sink a Sub", and "Unbecoming Jay". Still have some cash left, so if there's any additional ideas in addition to the ones that're already up, that'd be cool. ;)

My family, up until now, hadn't bought any episodes probably since '97 or so, so.

---

I figured I'd mention that it's interesting just how much is added in the full version of "Thankstaking Story" versus the broadcast.

Some of the off-hand lines that didn't seem to make a lot of sense are explained when you hear the full version of the story. The part where Connie/Katie starts going in-depth about counting blessings is just a little too sappy, even for the Magloos, but it's still okay.

I admit the only change that really threw me off -- big-time -- was in the part right after Arctic Blast freezes the town. In the radio version, there's this amazing background music when Jay's talking (during "We're the league of self-seekers!" and after), but in the broadcast, it's changed into the opening for Wooton's bad Elvis impersonation. I was reassured, though, to hear the theme, or something like it, pop up later (around 20:22).